Author Topic: Gyms shut on Good Friday  (Read 5245 times)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: Gyms shut on Good Friday
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2009, 01:59:44 AM »
Ahh and that's cream when owning a gym. I'm sure a guy like Messiah doesn't wish it to happen but you know you'll get that summer crowd who will die off.

Yep, it's bound to happen, but it just happens a hell of a lot at FF.......year round.

Same with the trainers there. If you are a trainer at FF, you have to pay rent. Every week, as a trainer, you have to pay a certain amount. Understandably, when you first start out and have limited clients, a lot of the time you are making stuff all after you pay the rent each week.

And they lock you into the contract. My mate was there for 6 months then left, so for the rest of the year he still had to pay rent.............even though he wasn't even working there!
No doubt about it...

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2009, 02:01:06 AM »
And they lock you into the contract. My mate was there for 6 months then left, so for the rest of the year he still had to pay rent.............even though he wasn't even working there!

fuck gym contracts.. those gyms will rip you off.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »
fuck gym contracts.. those gyms will rip you off.

yep.......and he was a trainer at the gym, not a member.  ::)
No doubt about it...

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2009, 02:03:40 AM »
Yep, it's bound to happen, but it just happens a hell of a lot at FF.......year round.

Same with the trainers there. If you are a trainer at FF, you have to pay rent. Every week, as a trainer, you have to pay a certain amount. Understandably, when you first start out and have limited clients, a lot of the time you are making stuff all after you pay the rent each week.

Isn't it like $350 a week rent? Their marketing obviously gets you clients so i understand that but they do try and fuck people over every way.

Be interesting to see how many stay at FF or go out on their own in the next year when gyms start having less clients.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2009, 02:08:07 AM »
FF's problem is that they screw over both their staff and their clients so no wonder they both leave...

australia is still a small place there are only so many bridges you can burn here the population isn't as transient as the states.

I heard that the four big gyms in the sydney CBD are basically holding the whole company together btw...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2009, 02:09:22 AM »
Isn't it like $350 a week rent? Their marketing obviously gets you clients so i understand that but they do try and fuck people over every way.

Be interesting to see how many stay at FF or go out on their own in the next year when gyms start having less clients.

Yeah, bad time for me to be trying to get into the industry i guess....... :-\ ;D

we'll see though. There's a hell of a lot of trainers around these days and cleint numbers have peaked and are falling. Time will tell i guess.....
No doubt about it...

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2009, 02:11:16 AM »
Fitness first have financial issues, more than 40% of their clubs are non profitable, their accountants and lawyers are looking into the costs involved in exercising a starbucks type restructure of the company, to help make them more profitable, so some centres may close in the next 12 months.

that's weird because they seem to be the most money hungry fuckers on earth, especially their PT's and how they have to earn they money/pay FF

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2009, 02:11:27 AM »
Yeah, bad time for me to be trying to get into the industry i guess....... :-\ ;D

we'll see though. There's a hell of a lot of trainers around these days and cleint numbers have peaked and are falling. Time will tell i guess.....
what's vision pt supposed to be like to work for webcke?

bigkahuna

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2009, 02:12:02 AM »
yea not surprised really....my platinum ff was selling its memberships for $100 at month at first...last week they were advertising memeberships for $40 a month

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2009, 02:16:17 AM »
yea not surprised really....my platinum ff was selling its memberships for $100 at month at first...last week they were advertising memeberships for $40 a month

is that the one on george st across from establishment? that place is DEAD everytime i walk past...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2009, 02:16:37 AM »
what's vision pt supposed to be like to work for webcke?

Vision is a different set up again.

Basically, they pay you a flat rate (eg $25/hr) all the time , whereas with most gyms you obviously get more (per hour) when you actually train clients.

But Vision gives you the clients and they also give you the programs. I did some workplacement with them last year as part of my course.

It's a bit easier, but you are limited in the no. of clients you can have which obviously limits your potential earnings. Probably ok for a beginner though.....
No doubt about it...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2009, 02:17:55 AM »
is that the one on george st across from establishment? that place is DEAD everytime i walk past...

Thats pretty cheap.

FF Platinum here at Cronulla was a fucking rip off. Maybe they are cheaper now too....... :-\
No doubt about it...

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2009, 02:19:03 AM »
I never heard of stuff like that going on in my gym. However, I was once in City Gym in Sydney quite a few years ago and I heard stuff went on in the shower cubicles. I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. Two blokes nude in a steamy shower with glass doors. I was walking by on the way to the toilet so didn't actually see what they were doing. You could see the bodies if they were close to or touching the glass. So I guess some of that stuff does happen.

LOL

Why does Hugh Jackman train at city gym?  :D

When we were getting shown around the guy said they now shut from 12am-5am. My mate asked why they now shut and he said 'We can't Police 4 levels with one person on the desk' LOL

bigkahuna

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2009, 02:26:27 AM »

na mate i go to one in melbourne.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2009, 02:51:34 AM »
With this recession, gyms are gonna be in for a rude awakening. Under current conditions, a person would have to be crazy to sign a long-term agreement.

true that bro, i work in a gym and i have members coming up to me alot asking me if the gym is going under anytime soon, i tell them the truth, i say i dont think so and i hope not cause this is how i pay my bills. i understand thier concern cause who wants to sign up for a year or 2 only to come to the gym 3 months later and see the gym closed down
R

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2009, 04:17:11 AM »
Really.....

Can't say i am surprised though.........they seem to be opening new gyms everyday. Sooner or later it will have to slow down.

I heard from a mate who use to be a trainer at Fitness First that like almost 50% of their members quit within the first few months, but are still locked into their contracts. So they make a fair deal of their money off people who no longer go to the gym.

Australian government , is specifically looking into and changing contract law in the fitness industry due to the specific number of complaints lodged to department of fair trading in relation to gym contracts, Fitness First recieving the most complaints and they are using their contract in their review, as with most government things it takes time but they are on to it.
They are a shitty buisness, in most cases they have taken large premises in prime areas with expensive rents, that force them to require 4000 members to break even in a facility that in reality can only accomadate 1500 to 2000, resulting in over crowding on equipment and issues with everything from car parking to getting a shower,
The 24hour or planet fitness system in the USA is much better they would have 3 to 4 times the equipment fitness first has to cater for a similar amount of members.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2009, 06:09:43 AM »

He should have talked to a lawyer.  There would have been all sorts of ways around that.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2009, 06:12:43 AM »
He should have talked to a lawyer.  There would have been all sorts of ways around that.

I hope he did. I haven't spoken to him in a while. Just seems wrong, though he is definietly not the first person this has happened to.....
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2009, 06:25:04 AM »
I hope he did. I haven't spoken to him in a while. Just seems wrong, though he is definietly not the first person this has happened to.....

If you're going to be any kind of contractor, you've got to be savvy.  As a rule, don't go around signing contracts.  You get your lawyer to draw up contracts and you get other people to sign them.  Never trust a company.

You going into the PT game then Web?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2009, 06:31:42 AM »
If you're going to be any kind of contractor, you've got to be savvy.  As a rule, don't go around signing contracts.  You get your lawyer to draw up contracts and you get other people to sign them.  Never trust a company.

You going into the PT game then Web?

Most likely.

Just gotta decide what area i want to try and get into, whether it be regular PT or perhaps rehab. Do it for a couple of years anyway and see what i think of it.....
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2009, 06:43:32 AM »
Most likely.

Just gotta decide what area i want to try and get into, whether it be regular PT or perhaps rehab. Do it for a couple of years anyway and see what i think of it.....

I don't know much about PTing but if you're dealing with a lot of out of shape people or rehabers who are already damaged, then there is potential liability.  I'd hate to see you get sued by some dickhead who drops a dumbell on his toe.  Please look into liability concerns and what you can do to protect yourself before jumping into the contracting game.  Don't forget too that you'll be dealing with paperwork and accounting, insurances, advertising, networking, and scheduling, debt collection, no paid holidays, sick days, or super, on and on....  Unless you're confident that you'll be making very good money, keep the idea of a wages job as a possibility imo. 

Fuck that was dad-like.  Sorry man.  :D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2009, 06:54:42 AM »
I don't know much about PTing but if you're dealing with a lot of out of shape people or rehabers who are already damaged, then there is potential liability.  I'd hate to see you get sued by some dickhead who drops a dumbell on his toe.  Please look into liability concerns and what you can do to protect yourself before jumping into the contracting game.  Don't forget too that you'll be dealing with paperwork and accounting, insurances, advertising, networking, and scheduling, debt collection, no paid holidays, sick days, or super, on and on....  Unless you're confident that you'll be making very good money, keep the idea of a wages job as a possibility imo. 

Fuck that was dad-like.  Sorry man.  :D

Thanks, Dad.  8)

Honestly, i am still unsure as to exactly what route i will take.

I will start off with an already established company anyway. Starting my own business may be a possibility down the road. Unfortunately i'm getting into the industry at the worst time. The industry peaked a few years ago and is now gradually coming down. A lot more trainers out there now and less and less clients from most reports it seems.

I'll most likely follow in mummy and daddies footsteps and go into Real Estate anyway.......... ;D
No doubt about it...

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2009, 07:18:03 AM »
Mine is open. Just came back from a savage training session

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:36 AM »
Mine is open. Just came back from a savage training session

Yeah?  Well... We're a day ahead of you!  So there!  :P

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
Virginactive have done a lot of market research in Australia and decided not to offer term memberships. You pay a joining fee and then $45/fortnight. That is quite cheap for what they offer. The company tries to give everyone positive experiences from attending or being a member and they will be a force in the Australian fitness scene.

Muscleheads always want to train everyday. When I took over the West Ryde Ballbell club in 1971 I remember I was open on both Christmas Eve and NYE. Now we close on public holidays like most Australian businesses. Or we open for a few hours during the day.

Virginactive were open on Good Friday and will be open on Easter Sunday. They have a going concern there and will be expanding in Sydney and Melbourne this year. Guys doing PT might want to try working for them. I advise those wanting a career in the gym business to do sales/instruction. More money there and you can work anywhere in the world if you can sell or do marketing.

We have a hard core/fitness club but most modern clubs try to discourage muscleheads.