Author Topic: Creative Employment/Jobs Statistics?  (Read 1116 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Creative Employment/Jobs Statistics?
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:02:42 AM »
I heard someone say on TV yesterday that the feds (?) are laying off and then rehiring some of the same people and counting those "rehired" people as "new" jobs.  Is that true? 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Creative Employment/Jobs Statistics?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
Yes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »
Talking about distorting numbers.  The media should be all over this. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »
Some more shocking figures.

Total US debt today was $13.06 trillion. Total debt on March 6, 2009 was $10.95 trillion. The government has spent $2.1 trillion dollars to create a bear market rally which has now fizzled, and to fund a fiscal stimulus that is now dancing its death rattle.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/3-days-month-169-billion-debt-redeemed

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »
Some more shocking figures.

Total US debt today was $13.06 trillion. Total debt on March 6, 2009 was $10.95 trillion. The government has spent $2.1 trillion dollars to create a bear market rally which has now fizzled, and to fund a fiscal stimulus that is now dancing its death rattle.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/3-days-month-169-billion-debt-redeemed

I posted an article a while back where Dick Morris was talking about how much Obama has spent in relation to past administrations.  This is alarming stuff. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »
 “In the space of 220 years of our republic, we amassed a $9 trillion debt. And in the space of 18 months we added $3 trillion to it, a third again as much."

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=328157.0

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »
Well…
Considering how “certain people” tried bragging about the improved UE statistics while failing to mention that a great number of those "new jobs" were temp Census positions…

No - no surprise.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
fair enough - obama can't take credit for those jobs.

Still, there were some 40k private sector jobs created.  it's not much of a gain, but it's not the 600k per month that we saw in late 2008/early 2009.  He's made gains for the last few months, excluding public sector govt jobs.

And, to be fair, if we don't count those, we're going to be taking away a lot of Reagan successes - he grew govt beaucracy like crazy, in order to create jobs to stimulate economy.  It worked, and repubs love the dude.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:16:46 AM »
Oh god stfu already 240.

You sound like such a moron and mindless Obama apologist.

If Obama brushed his teeth you would be applauding him for setting a good example.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:24:45 AM »
fair enough - obama can't take credit for those jobs.

Still, there were some 40k private sector jobs created.  it's not much of a gain, but it's not the 600k per month that we saw in late 2008/early 2009.  He's made gains for the last few months, excluding public sector govt jobs.

And, to be fair, if we don't count those, we're going to be taking away a lot of Reagan successes - he grew govt beaucracy like crazy, in order to create jobs to stimulate economy.  It worked, and repubs love the dude.

If you're going to play devils advocate like you do on some other topics, it helps to at least have ALL the facts straight. On the issue of employment and stimulas you fail pretty badly in laying out your counter because you don't address all the points (purposely?) or have the information mixed up.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »
I heard someone say on TV yesterday that the feds (?) are laying off and then rehiring some of the same people and counting those "rehired" people as "new" jobs.  Is that true? 

Highly unlikely, and it's not true for the DOD.  First, federal agencies can't just lay people off.  They have to go through a lengthy RIF process, typically offer a VERA, offer reassignments to unfilled positions, and even though most federal employees are not represented by the union, I've always seen them try to get union approval beforehand.

All of this has to be communicated to the workforce because they are required to inform and to give people an opportunity to match their qualifications against existing openings.  They also routinely issue press releases about it.

I can't say with 100% certaintity, but I think it unlikely.  At least on any scale that would matter.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 06:55:07 AM »
Skip - they were referring to census hires. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 07:00:40 AM »
Skip - they were referring to census hires. 

OK, then I have no idea as the same rules don't apply to temp and term positions. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 09:27:56 AM »

OK, then I have no idea as the same rules don't apply to temp and term positions. 

Please do not question my answer on these matters again and everything will be fine.  ;D :P

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »

Please do not question my answer on these matters again and everything will be fine.  ;D :P

My humble apologies.