Author Topic: Here is one Republican Governor who will not be running for POTUS in 2016  (Read 878 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Former Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnell indicted in gift scandal

Posted by
CNN Justice Reporter Evan Perez
Updated 7:17 p.m. ET, 1/21/2014

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/21/former-virginia-gov-robert-mcdonnell-faces-charges-over-gifts/?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) – Former Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnell, once a rising star in the Republican Party who was considered potential presidential material, was indicted along with his wife on Tuesday on federal charges of accepting illegal gifts.

The 14-count indictment, culminating a lengthy investigation of their relationship with a Virginia business executive, alleges fraud by a public official, false statements, and obstruction.

read the indictment here:  http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/01/21/mcdonnell.indictment.pdf

McDonnell, who in a statement denied any illegal conduct and called the charges federal government overreach, was elected in 2009 and left office earlier this month after serving one term. Virginia governors cannot serve consecutive terms.

"I come before you this evening as someone who has been falsely and wrongfully accused and whose public service has been wrongfully attacked," he said in a televised statement.

The federal probe involved the relationship between the governor and his wife, Maureen, with Jonnie Williams, the chief executive of a troubled nutritional supplement company, Star Scientific.

Authorities allege that Williams gave gifts and loans to the first family of Virginia, and that they promoted his company.

McDonnell admitted to poor judgment in an earlier written statement.

"I deeply regret accepting legal gifts and loans from Mr. Williams, all of which have been repaid with interest, and I have apologized for my poor judgment for which I take full responsibility," he said.

"However, I repeat emphatically that I did nothing illegal for Mr. Williams in exchange for what I believed was his personal generosity and friendship," he added.

McDonnell's Democratic successor, Terry McAuliffe, issued his own statement after the charges were filed.

"As this case progresses, it is my sincerest hope that justice will be served and that Virginians get the answers to which they are entitled," he said. "As Governor, I will remain focused on leading this Commonwealth in a way that restores Virginians' trust in government and honors their expectation of transparency and accountability."

Within hours of the indictment, McDonnell's legal team launched a forceful attack on the government's case.

The lawyers made two legal filings in federal court in Richmond, one of which invoked an ancient ruler whose tyrannical reign was reputedly marked by financial greed and misdeeds.

"It has been a long time since the Roman Emperor Caligula imprisoned people for violating laws written in tiny lettering on a pillar too high to see," the lawyers wrote in making a comparison to the federal government's case against McDonnell.

McDonnell's lawyers argued his innocence and said the charges were built on a "rickety legal foundation."

"To bring today's indictment, the federal government has concocted a never-before-used legal theory manufactured for the sole purpose of prosecuting Governor McDonnell and his wife," McDonnell's lawyers wrote.

"This new theory contravenes settled judicial precedent and disregards longstanding Virginia law and practice, seeking to punish the McDonnells for conduct that was legal before today," the lawyers said.

The McDonnell legal filings said Williams is under federal investigation for some of the health claims his company made for its products. But the government has offered "blanket immunity" in exchange for cooperation in the McDonnell investigation.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire," former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli said the indictment was not a surprise considering the public attention the investigation received. He believes the charges will "cause challenges" for Virginia.

"We like to think of ourselves as a pretty smooth-running, clean state. Doesn't mean everything goes the way we want it to all the time - this puts a dent in that and that's not something we're happy to see with the history we've got, which has been pretty darn good," he said.

Cuccinelli, a Republican who served under McConnell, lost the governor's election in November to McAuliffe.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
No different Blago.   F em.

Former Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnell indicted in gift scandal

Posted by
CNN Justice Reporter Evan Perez
Updated 7:17 p.m. ET, 1/21/2014

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/21/former-virginia-gov-robert-mcdonnell-faces-charges-over-gifts/?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) – Former Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnell, once a rising star in the Republican Party who was considered potential presidential material, was indicted along with his wife on Tuesday on federal charges of accepting illegal gifts.

The 14-count indictment, culminating a lengthy investigation of their relationship with a Virginia business executive, alleges fraud by a public official, false statements, and obstruction.

read the indictment here:  http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/01/21/mcdonnell.indictment.pdf

McDonnell, who in a statement denied any illegal conduct and called the charges federal government overreach, was elected in 2009 and left office earlier this month after serving one term. Virginia governors cannot serve consecutive terms.

"I come before you this evening as someone who has been falsely and wrongfully accused and whose public service has been wrongfully attacked," he said in a televised statement.

The federal probe involved the relationship between the governor and his wife, Maureen, with Jonnie Williams, the chief executive of a troubled nutritional supplement company, Star Scientific.

Authorities allege that Williams gave gifts and loans to the first family of Virginia, and that they promoted his company.

McDonnell admitted to poor judgment in an earlier written statement.

"I deeply regret accepting legal gifts and loans from Mr. Williams, all of which have been repaid with interest, and I have apologized for my poor judgment for which I take full responsibility," he said.

"However, I repeat emphatically that I did nothing illegal for Mr. Williams in exchange for what I believed was his personal generosity and friendship," he added.

McDonnell's Democratic successor, Terry McAuliffe, issued his own statement after the charges were filed.

"As this case progresses, it is my sincerest hope that justice will be served and that Virginians get the answers to which they are entitled," he said. "As Governor, I will remain focused on leading this Commonwealth in a way that restores Virginians' trust in government and honors their expectation of transparency and accountability."

Within hours of the indictment, McDonnell's legal team launched a forceful attack on the government's case.

The lawyers made two legal filings in federal court in Richmond, one of which invoked an ancient ruler whose tyrannical reign was reputedly marked by financial greed and misdeeds.

"It has been a long time since the Roman Emperor Caligula imprisoned people for violating laws written in tiny lettering on a pillar too high to see," the lawyers wrote in making a comparison to the federal government's case against McDonnell.

McDonnell's lawyers argued his innocence and said the charges were built on a "rickety legal foundation."

"To bring today's indictment, the federal government has concocted a never-before-used legal theory manufactured for the sole purpose of prosecuting Governor McDonnell and his wife," McDonnell's lawyers wrote.

"This new theory contravenes settled judicial precedent and disregards longstanding Virginia law and practice, seeking to punish the McDonnells for conduct that was legal before today," the lawyers said.

The McDonnell legal filings said Williams is under federal investigation for some of the health claims his company made for its products. But the government has offered "blanket immunity" in exchange for cooperation in the McDonnell investigation.

Appearing on CNN's "Crossfire," former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli said the indictment was not a surprise considering the public attention the investigation received. He believes the charges will "cause challenges" for Virginia.

"We like to think of ourselves as a pretty smooth-running, clean state. Doesn't mean everything goes the way we want it to all the time - this puts a dent in that and that's not something we're happy to see with the history we've got, which has been pretty darn good," he said.

Cuccinelli, a Republican who served under McConnell, lost the governor's election in November to McAuliffe.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
The all too cute Dana Perino noted that it's difficult for these politicians to hang with rich people when the politician isn't rich because the temptation drives them nuts.

Fucking 15k just in a catering bill for a 'public servant'.  Oh boy.  If he's convicted, he needs to go away for a long time.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
there's no denying he's guilty.  I believe his defense is waffling between ignorance and "the system is flawed".

Nobody is saying he didn't take these things.  They're just defending it and justifying it. 

What I cannot believe... in this day and age of internet and posting on walls and rachel maddow playing 'gotcha' with everything they do... why anyone would accept some gifts/$ like this.  I mean really... WHY?  You make an amazing salary, you'll have PLENTY of private consulting jobs once you leave office, you might be president.   Why take that watch, I mean really? 

I don't get it.  There are SO MANY ways for a politician to get paid.  Why flaunt shit like that?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Wow... he only got caught because a chef at the gov mansion was fired for stealing... he said that he was told it was okay... then he tattled on the gov/wifey for their stealing.

http://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-deal-reached-va-gov-mansion-chef-case-143524415.html

and the list of goodies they're accused of taking:

240 is Back

• Getbig V
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/bob-mcdonnell-housing-crisis-102512.html?hp=f3

He outright asked companies for hundreds of thousands of $$$$$$ to help pay his bills.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
Just another crooked politician. Send him and others like him away for life, no parole.