Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 414544 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1325 on: February 15, 2016, 01:49:24 AM »
me and my wife celebrated 11 yrs marriage and valentines day this weekend...

i cooked breakfast and dinner for her today

dozen white roses and strawberries dipped chocolate

dinner i did mozzarella tom/basil sliced with olive oil and balsamic glaze in top
artichoke and roasted red peppers /olives assorted

i made linguine with shrimp with garlic/oil/red pepper flakes/reg pepper/parsley/white wine sauce cooked with a tad of healthy butter spread alternative,,of course olive oil and semolina bread..wine ahhh.....
Congrats ... i am at the 28 year mark nearly with Rich ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1326 on: February 16, 2016, 01:54:43 AM »
Down at the Doctor later to get his opinion on my neck. Show my new pictures from my scan. went for a run last night and it was a cold wind but after 10 minutes you donīt feel it. I did Bertil Fox style palms up yesterday in my full body workout. Definitely feel it in my traps today.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1327 on: February 16, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »
rich/Donny good to get ideas how to train around aches/pains/injuries from you to,,helped last night in chest training..

home workout weather was crappy snow/sleet...

chest
seated press wide grip x3
inner side grip x3
inc db press...no pain 'getiing 1st rep going sux tho..x3
inc flye very slow and squeeze x3
took a cue from 'rich' palms in press flat bench db it felt better and combined it with a flye 'I rep flye one palm press'x3elbows tucked in on press,,great pump

finished pushups 15/20 reps x3

tris
pushdowns superset with skull crushers x3
single arm cable pushdowns 'these I face sideways come across body and out 'x3
reverse single arm pressdowns x3
old school kickbacks x2

abs lot of leg raises old school off decline bench
and ab crunches on bench

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1328 on: February 16, 2016, 07:23:51 AM »
Trained legs:

Squats 2 x 8 225lbs then 1 x 1 255lbs (legs are weak from running)
leg press 2 x 12 4 plates a side. ( went deep)
leg extension 2 x 12 160lbs (I know the weight is meaningless on machines)
standing leg curl 2 x 12

Standing calf 2 x 12 190lbs
Seated calf 2 x 15 85lbs

4 way neck machine 2 x 15

ab coaster 2 x 25 40lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

Had to go early because I'm puppy sitting prior to work and the wife is working. Different crowd. Two big fat guys doing a boxing type workout. At the end they did focus mitt drills. Two pillow punchers. The chatter between the two made me laugh. "Don't worry about speed and power."  "Nobody wants to get hit with this."  Told them I had 5 fights 30 years ago and decided I didn't like getting hit in the face. LOL.  I was 4 and 1.  Even at this age they would be punching bags to me in the ring. Just delusional guys.  

Noticed a guy with big arms working out who out weighs me by 40lbs. He used 70lbs for his bar curls. Here I am using 90lbs to 100lb thinking I'm dogging it.  No question he has better arms than me. I see this time and time again. Guys using moderate weights that look great.

Decided to do mild cardio after the gym taking this crazy puppy for a long trail walk in the woods. I took a wrong turn and I was lost. Don't know how I did it. Came to places where the trail was underwater. Crossed these make shifts walking bridges someone made. When I finally saw houses I didn't know where I was so I back tracked. Shoes are muddy as hell. Unlike me the dog had no anxiety and only looked like he was having the time of his life. Needless to say I found my way back or I wouldn't be typing this.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1329 on: February 16, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »
legs are sore today,,,

Mine are a little sore today. I worked quads and calves on Sunday. Got a good pump. On the leg press, I topped out at 650lbs for 5 reps. I wish I could figure out what the machine's added weight is because this would make my achievement all the greater.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1330 on: February 16, 2016, 04:00:41 PM »
me and my wife celebrated 11 yrs marriage and valentines day this weekend...

i cooked breakfast and dinner for her today

dozen white roses and strawberries dipped chocolate

dinner i did mozzarella tom/basil sliced with olive oil and balsamic glaze in top
artichoke and roasted red peppers /olives assorted

i made linguine with shrimp with garlic/oil/red pepper flakes/reg pepper/parsley/white wine sauce cooked with a tad of healthy butter spread alternative,,of course olive oil and semolina bread..wine ahhh.....

I ignored the fact that it was Valentines Day. Margie preferred yellow roses.

Caprese salad is one of my favorites. It's definitely a healthy choice.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1331 on: February 16, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
Yesterday evening I trained triceps, biceps and forearms following my usual program. I do some ab work with every routine. Wasn't feeling strong for some reason. I added two Nautilus exercises, one for biceps and the other for triceps to make up for not increasing the weight on the other exercises. There are a variety of ways to "punish" one's muscles.

My arms are looking big despite that they really aren't. The last time I checked, they were 15 1/2". Not that long ago, they topped out at 17". I doubt I will ever have 22" arms, plus they'd be horribly out of proportion with the rest of me. I must be doing something right because my waist continues to shrink even though I've gained a few pounds lately. I was at 180 this morning.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1332 on: February 16, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
Yesterday evening I trained triceps, biceps and forearms following my usual program. I do some ab work with every routine. Wasn't feeling strong for some reason. I added two Nautilus exercises, one for biceps and the other for triceps to make up for not increasing the weight on the other exercises. There are a variety of ways to "punish" one's muscles.

My arms are looking big despite that they really aren't. The last time I checked, they were 15 1/2". Not that long ago, they topped out at 17". I doubt I will ever have 22" arms, plus they'd be horribly out of proportion with the rest of me. I must be doing something right because my waist continues to shrink even though I've gained a few pounds lately. I was at 180 this morning.
8)prime...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1333 on: February 18, 2016, 07:11:39 AM »
BACK/TRAPS/ABS/TREADMILL

CHINS X4 12 REPS GOOD WARMUP.LOVE THEM
TBAR ROW CHEST SUPPORTED VERSION 2 PLATES ,2.5/2.5 PLATES 12/10/8
UNDERHANDED SEMI NARROW GRIP PULLDOWNS X3 10 REPS PER
LOW CABLE ROWS WIDER ATTACHMENT VERSION OF THE USUAL NARROW BAR'HASS RUBBER HANDLES OPPOSSED TO THE USUAL GRIP'165/180/195
TRIED A STANDUP SINGLE ARM UNDERHANDED REVERSE GRIP CABLE FROM LOWER PORTION CABLE MACHINE PULLED UP TOWARDS CHEST LEVEL ..GOOD FINISH TO LATS

WEIGHTED HYPERS 45 PLATE X12-15 REPS RANGE

TRAPS
SHRUGS 185 X12 NO STRAPS,225X12 NO STRAPS,275X10 STRAPS,295 X10 STRAPS,TESTED GRIP ON LOWER SETS LATLEY ON THESE
REVERSE SHRUGS ON CHEST MACHINE PRESS LYING THAT PRIME LIKES..X3

ABS

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1334 on: February 18, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »
It was one of those times when I'm talking myself out of going to the gym, but I didn't listen this time and went. Once there all was good.

Last night I worked hams, calves and abs. Stuck to the routine as written. -Didn't add any additional exercises. I did increase the resistance on the reverse hack squats, which worked out well.

Are people following my lead? Last night, the gym was fairly crowded....much more so than usual, but no so much that I had to wait to use any equipment.

Some idiot racked 45lb plates behind the 100's at the leg press. This resulted in four 100lb plates laying on the floor because the rack for them was full. I was going to fix it although the leg press wasn't on last nights agenda. I didn't cave to it! That's what the staff is for. I am compulsive about racking the plates and dumbbells in proper order. This means I often spend time fixing the mess other's leave. It is a habit I am trying to break.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1335 on: February 18, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »
It was one of those times when I'm talking myself out of going to the gym, but I didn't listen this time and went. Once there all was good.

Last night I worked hams, calves and abs. Stuck to the routine as written. -Didn't add any additional exercises. I did increase the resistance on the reverse hack squats, which worked out well.

Are people following my lead? Last night, the gym was fairly crowded....much more so than usual, but no so much that I had to wait to use any equipment.

Some idiot racked 45lb plates behind the 100's at the leg press. This resulted in four 100lb plates laying on the floor because the rack for them was full. I was going to fix it although the leg press wasn't on last nights agenda. I didn't cave to it! That's what the staff is for. I am compulsive about racking the plates and dumbbells in proper order. This means I often spend time fixing the mess other's leave. It is a habit I am trying to break.
:)...ITS GOOD TO BE CONSIDERATE...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1336 on: February 18, 2016, 04:24:22 PM »
I try to straighten out the gym as I move from exercise to exercise but I don't go crazy with it. This hard core old school gym I go to is pretty good about clean up. The posh super gym on the other side of town is where people left stuff all over the place at night. In the day time the staff cleans up the mess in the morning.

Workout wise I did nothing today. Had a doctor visit and I went to work. I will hit it hard tomorrow.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1337 on: February 18, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »
delts

front press few warm up sets get loose..115/135/145/145 with 2 drops 7/10/10 reps
side cable raise x4 last set 20 reps
premade  curl bar underhanded fr raise 50/60/70
cable rear raises x3

bis
curl bar superset hammers 70/80/90....30/35/35  10x10,,wicked pump
seated on low row pulley and do curls arms set straight curl to facex3
seated curl machine pitched x3

forarms cable wrist curls fr to back

treadmill

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1338 on: February 18, 2016, 11:32:52 PM »
I try to straighten out the gym as I move from exercise to exercise but I don't go crazy with it. This hard core old school gym I go to is pretty good about clean up. The posh super gym on the other side of town is where people left stuff all over the place at night. In the day time the staff cleans up the mess in the morning.

Workout wise I did nothing today. Had a doctor visit and I went to work. I will hit it hard tomorrow.

you love it there. Itīs like they say donīt judge a book by itīs cover :) was away for a couple of Days in Hamburg on a seminar. I love Hamburg. Feeling a bit rough after going out with a couple of people last Night from the Seminar. I will go for an easy run in the woods to sweat a bit.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1339 on: February 19, 2016, 07:28:31 AM »
Donny, I bet the beer is good in Germany.

Back and chest:

Pull ups palms facing 3 x max
Seated Cable V handle rows 2 x 12 180lbs
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 85lbs (all the way down and up)
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10 130lbs ( I keep my back mainly vertical. I don't lean back)

Decline bench 2 x 8
Dumbbell bench 1 x 6
Hammer Strength 2 x 8
Dumbbell flies 2 x 10 45lbs

Deadlifts from floor 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 330lbs
Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 25lb plate behind head

Ab coaster 2 x 25 40lbs
seated ab crunch 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

People are just idiots. People are just idiots. Asked a guy if he would just watch me get 8 reps in the decline in case I fail.  He stands over me with both hands around the bar and pulls up every rep. Must have taken 20lbs off the bar. Just pissed over a wasted set. The next set I ask someone else and he proceeds to do the same thing.  The bar felt like a feather. I'm done with declines.  

One observation that is such a common one and one of my pet peeves. I have one pet peeve named Fido but I digress.  Why do bodybuilders look for the easiest way to do an exercise instead of the hardest way? You are there to make you muscles work not to impress others with the weight you can do partials with. All over the gym I see partial everything. Looking at the leg press he had the back board so high his knees hit his chest when his legs were barely bent. Had the weight of a Buick on it. Bet if he had that back board back and he really bent his legs he would be buried under that weight. Watched guys doing shoulder presses and no one goes all the way down. If they did they wouldn't be able to use those 80lb dumbbells and might have to use the 50lbs. Another clown who brags about his deadlifts pulls the bar from pins in the power cage so he can do a partials. If it was on the floor he couldn't budge it. I just didn't see this in the 70's .  I guess the easy way out has become the norm.  

There are so few females training here that when this one blonde came in she was greeted by just about every guy in the gym.  Back off guys. I want to say hello.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1340 on: February 19, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »
your right rich...observations..l leg press backrest to lowest point .db press shoulders when I could  I touched on delt...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1341 on: February 19, 2016, 12:58:42 PM »
Life got in the way of my gym time last night. My son-in-law and daughter were rear ended as they waited for the light to change on the freeway on ramp. The driver of the other vehicle was going so fast she pushed their SUV 15 feet onto the embankment even though my son-in-law kept his foot on the break. Good thing he did or she would have pushed them onto the freeway.

I got a text from my son-in-law that they were in emergency at a local hospital and that my daughter was okay. Her right side is pretty bruised from the side curtain airbags. She hit her head before they deployed and blacked out. She is on pain meds today.

This accident could have been a lot worse. Their late model Ford Escape is probably totaled. The driver of the other vehicle was given a citation. She stated she wasn't paying attention....on her cell phone, texting perhaps?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1342 on: February 19, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
Just horrible Prime. I hope they recover with no lasting injuries. I have been to so many accidents and the carnage out there on the roadways is horrific.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1343 on: February 21, 2016, 01:22:54 AM »
Just horrible Prime. I hope they recover with no lasting injuries. I have been to so many accidents and the carnage out there on the roadways is horrific.
x2.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1344 on: February 21, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
THOUGHTS WITH PRIME....HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH FAMILY..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1345 on: February 21, 2016, 07:18:59 PM »
LEG DAY

EXTENSIONS 1ST 2 WARM UPS 20-15 REPS SETS,,,WORKING SETS 220/235/250/265 SETS 12

LEG PRESS 5 PLATES SIDE,6/7/8 ..FEET CLOSE ,,SICK PUMP AT THIS POINT

V HAMMER SQUAT ,,3/4/5 AND 25 SIDE ..

HAMS
SINGLE LEG CURL STANDING 70/85/95/100
SEATED LEG CURL 165/180/195

CALVES
5 SETS LEG PRESS 3
2 SETS STANDING CALF RAISE

WICKED PUMP/VOLUME,,STILL PUMPED AS I WRITE IN PM...SORENESS SETTING IN  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1346 on: February 22, 2016, 08:46:14 AM »
Legs:

Squats 2 x 9 225-260lbs
Leg press 2 x 12 8 plates (4 per side. Went deep)
leg extension 2 x 12
standing leg curl 2 x 12

Standing calf raise 2 x 12 195lbs
seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs

ab coaster 2 x 25 40lb
ab wheel 2 x 20

4 way neck machine 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

Lifted after being at the pistol range. I think shooting holding my body perfectly still made my body stiff. I only missed one time qualifying. I have a lot of trouble with my aging vision so I'm happy with that.

Left the gym and as I was using alcohol on my hands in the car I observed a woman leaving the gym. She walks up to a white SUV and keeps pointing her beeper at it. She then puts the key in it and she can't open the door. She turns around and her white SUV is parked across the parking lot. As she walks away toward her vehicle I lower my window and say, " I saw that!"  She burst into laughter.

I came home and noticed blood on my sweat pants. I'm not bleeding.  Just a little freaked out. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1347 on: February 22, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes. My daughter is still suffering a severe migraine headache. Her husband and I wonder if it is a pinched nerve in her neck that is causing the ongoing headache. He's taking her to the doctor ASAP. The adjuster will determine in their vehicle is repairable or a total loss tomorrow.

Our dog Danny is hanging in there. He sleeps a lot and he's very skinny. Otherwise he seems to be still happy. I helped him get into the back seat of the car yesterday, when I took him for a ride which is something he really likes. I beginning to believe Prednisone is like a miracle drug. Wouldn't you know it, it's a steroid. It sure seems to be helping Danny through this time. He may even exceed the prognosis of living a month to a month and a half. As long as he's not suffering, we won't euthanize him. We've contacted a vet who will come to the house when that time comes. He/she also takes care of the remains.

I made it to the gym on Saturday. I worked my back and abs using my usual routine. This evening my plan is to work delts, traps and abs. I am looking forward to the workout.

My tummy is very tight lately. If the little bit of loose skin would just contract, my abs would show. They feel a hard as a rock. I been wondering if my "extra" belly button will eventually disappear or if I will need to see a plastic surgeon to get it fixed. I know this is pretty vain, but it bothers me. What little bit of fat was on my lower back is all but gone. It has been very hard to find the right movements to attack it.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #1348 on: February 22, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes. My daughter is still suffering a severe migraine headache. Her husband and I wonder if it is a pinched nerve in her neck that is causing the ongoing headache. He's taking her to the doctor ASAP. The adjuster will determine in their vehicle is repairable or a total loss tomorrow.

Our dog Danny is hanging in there. He sleeps a lot and he's very skinny. Otherwise he seems to be still happy. I helped him get into the back seat of the car yesterday, when I took him for a ride which is something he really likes. I beginning to believe Prednisone is like a miracle drug. Wouldn't you know it, it's a steroid. It sure seems to be helping Danny through this time. He may even exceed the prognosis of living a month to a month and a half. As long as he's not suffering, we won't euthanize him. We've contacted a vet who will come to the house when that time comes. He/she also takes care of the remains.

I made it to the gym on Saturday. I worked my back and abs using my usual routine. This evening my plan is to work delts, traps and abs. I am looking forward to the workout.

My tummy is very tight lately. If the little bit of loose skin would just contract, my abs would show. They feel a hard as a rock. I been wondering if my "extra" belly button will eventually disappear or if I will need to see a plastic surgeon to get it fixed. I know this is pretty vain, but it bothers me. What little bit of fat was on my lower back is all but gone. It has been very hard to find the right movements to attack it.

Hey Prime..how you getting along since your wife passed away?...any loneliness?...any weird feelings?....dating?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1349 on: February 22, 2016, 04:21:21 PM »
Hey Prime..how you getting along since your wife passed away?...any loneliness?...any weird feelings?....dating?

Weird feelings and loneliness? Absolutely! I miss my wife and that makes me feel lonely. I am not alone however. Is it weird that I dream about her almost every night? Is it weird that I talk to her in my head? Probably. I'm not dating anyone yet. To be honest, I have not given this a thought. I don't think I have much to offer someone right now. Mostly, I just muddle though each day....one day at a time. I went out to a club last Saturday night. I tried to have fun, but I just felt like I didn't belong. There were some people my age, but most were younger.

All things considered, I guess I am doing about as well as can be expected. Going to the gym on an almost daily basis, really helps. I eat well and get plenty of exercise. Even if I'm a mess, I will be fit.