Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 1245 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Cancer
« on: December 20, 2008, 12:57:12 AM »
Maybe I'm just getting old, but it certainly seems like this disease is everywhere.  I am constantly talking to people who have it or who know people who have it. 

I just looked at some stats and we had over 10 million people with the disease in 2005.  http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_Cancer_Prevalence_How_Many_People_Have_Cancer.asp

I remember as a child hearing a woman say she thought cancer was one of the "plagues" mentioned in the Bible.  I never believed that and still don't, but I wonder what the religious significance of this disease is, if any?  It really is a plague (not in the Book of Revelation sense). 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Cancer
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »
Maybe I'm just getting old, but it certainly seems like this disease is everywhere.  I am constantly talking to people who have it or who know people who have it. 

I just looked at some stats and we had over 10 million people with the disease in 2005.  http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_Cancer_Prevalence_How_Many_People_Have_Cancer.asp

I remember as a child hearing a woman say she thought cancer was one of the "plagues" mentioned in the Bible.  I never believed that and still don't, but I wonder what the religious significance of this disease is, if any?  It really is a plague (not in the Book of Revelation sense). 

I think it depends on how you count, but I think I've seen some stat suggesting that cancer is the most common way to die.

Ie, when you get real fcuking old, there's a good chance that some type of cancer will be the reason why you die.

BTW, I'm not sure about this stat thing, and I ain't gonna google-fu it either. So if anyone would like to correct me, that's just dandy. :-*

Then there are all these people getting cancer at young or average age, and dying from it.

Terrible.
As empty as paradise

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
the thing is that there are so many types of cancer.  I knew of someone that never smooked and got lung cancer.  I doubt there is a cure for cancer, due to it's diversity and difficulty in treating. Just like they say there is an AIDS cure.  these disease mutant and and different strains pop up.  I think that the unhealthy lives most people live contribute to the high incidence of cancer.  Is it a plague, no.  The definition of a plague rules this out. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:14:05 AM »

Lots of cancers are caused by environmental factors so probably all the passages concerning man's hubris and gluttony apply. Also, I'm thinking in particular "thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother's milk."  As well,  the admonishments related to farming and the wearing of clothes with more than one type of fabric.  The textile industry creates huge amounts of pollution.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »
Lots of cancers are caused by environmental factors so probably all the passages concerning man's hubris and gluttony apply. Also, I'm thinking in particular "thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother's milk."  As well,  the admonishments related to farming and the wearing of clothes with more than one type of fabric.  The textile industry creates huge amounts of pollution.

I'm not sure if gluttony applies, but diet definitely plays a role.  I read the book "The China Study" a couple years ago and learned alarming things about how pivotal a role food choices play in the diseases that kill us. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »
Is anyone's family completely cancer free?  I'm talking immediate family, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »
Is anyone's family completely cancer free?  I'm talking immediate family, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.? 
my immediate family in the US hasnt had any thank the Lord but i only have one pair of aunt/uncle and 2 cousins still with us...I dont know about my moms side she has like 6 sisters but they are all i japan so im not sure.