Author Topic: Quote By Expert On Chimpanzees.  (Read 13466 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Re: Quote By Expert On Chimpanzees.
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2011, 06:40:47 AM »
Id hate to revisit the old "what if" VS animal thread, but on land I would have to take the Silverback Gorilla against anything.  Something like an elephant might give it a challenge, but The gorilla is too nimble and strong, and would probably just break the elephants legs and finish it off once it collapsed.  It would probably punch a lion into oblivion as well.  Its too athletic for the big bears to handle. It would take the bears back and submit it with a rear naked choke.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2011, 06:54:22 AM »
Seriously, I'd really like to have a gorilla as a pet. From its infancy. When it's like 500 pounds he can be my training partner and him and I can cruise in my truck and buy hamburgers at the drive-thru and shit.

When you're stopped at a light and there is a homeless man standing there with a sign, I can so see the gorilla rolling down the window and snatching the sign from the bum or knocking it out his hands just to be a dick LOL!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/04/07/contagious-chimp-yawns-seem-to-point-to-human-like-empathy/

Contagious Chimp Yawns Seem to Point to Human-Like Empathy

What’s the News: Chimpanzees, like people, can “catch” yawns from others. But not all yawns are created equal, it seems; chimps are more likely to catch yawns from a chimp they know than from a stranger, a new study found. (You can see a video of it here.) This supports the idea that it’s empathy—rather than just everybody needing a nap—that makes yawns contagious.

How the Heck:
 Two groups of chimps at the Yerkes National Primate Research Center near Atlanta, each with about a dozen adult members, were part of the study. The two groups lived in different large enclosures, and hadn’t seen—much less gotten to know—each other. Chimpanzees are extremely territorial, and a whole lot friendlier to individuals in their own group than to strangers.
 The researchers took videos of spontaneous yawns from chimps in each group, as well as videos of the chimps just hanging out in the enclosure. They then played each chimp two videos on an iPod Touch: a yawn video, which included clips of chimps from both groups yawning,  and a control video, of chimps doing other things.
 The chimpanzees yawned more when they saw their group members yawning than when they saw them going about their usual business, the study found, and they yawned more in response to their groupmates’ yawning than to the yawns of chimps in the other group.

What’s the Context:
 Previous research with humans has linked the ability to feel empathy to catching a contagious yawn; The Thoughtful Animal blog provides a good explanation of this phenomenon.
 Both very young children, who are still developing an understanding of others’ state of mind, and children with autism, who are less attuned to what other people are feeling, seem to be immune to contagious yawns.
 People who show signs of  schizotypy, and generally feel less empathy, catch yawns less, while highly empathetic people catch them more.
 Some earlier work previously raised the possibility that chimps may feel empathy.

Reference: Matthew W. Campbell, & Frans B. M. de Waal. “Ingroup-Outgroup Bias in Contagious Yawning by Chimpanzees Supports Link to Empathy.” PLoS ONE, 6 (4), 2011. DOI :10.1371/journal.pone.0018283

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
When you're stopped at a light and there is a homeless man standing there with a sign, I can so see the gorilla rolling down the window and snatching the sign from the bum or knocking it out his hands just to be a dick LOL!

hahahahah

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2011, 09:37:13 AM »
amazing thread

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
.. Chimps can occasionally be friendly and playful, but they are volatile(especially males) and feel no loyalty or love for anyone. You could raise a chimp from birth, feed it and play with it, and it might still try to kill you one day. But even though adult male chimps are incredibly aggressive and brutal, what separated them from Humans is not aggressivness, but their complete lack of empathy and remorse. Even the most hardened murderers feel some empathy and remorse. Chimps don't. Not even one bit.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

If that was true, chimps could not be the social animals that they are. They are altruistic and empathic towards members of their "tribe": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimpanzee#Empathy

NN

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2011, 09:42:19 AM »
  No, I am a polymath.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Translation: polymath=knowitall...

;D

NN

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
amazing thread

Indeed, I have very much enjoyed reading this!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »
Indeed, I have very much enjoyed reading this!

sometimes i get caught up in the BS politics stuff and forget how refreshing it can be to just mock the stupidity of others on getbig :)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
Translation: polymath=knowitall...

;D

NN
Here's a drawing picturing SMM....

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »

Anybody of decent strength could do that if they wished.

Chimps have decent pulling strength, they can't push for shit. It's lucky i was in a calm mood, it's midget height puts it's skull at good kicking range.

Keep the capslock up assbruise.

Y0U'RE MENTALLY UNSTABLE 0R JUST NEVER FINISHED 3RD GRADE.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2011, 02:54:30 PM »
assbruise

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »
I dont get it.

If chimps were that violent, chimps would have already disappeared(because of killing each other) thousands years ago and they would have not constructed their society style stated by many doctors.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
Id hate to revisit the old "what if" VS animal thread, but on land I would have to take the Silverback Gorilla against anything.  Something like an elephant might give it a challenge, but The gorilla is too nimble and strong, and would probably just break the elephants legs and finish it off once it collapsed.  It would probably punch a lion into oblivion as well.  Its too athletic for the big bears to handle. It would take the bears back and submit it with a rear naked choke.

>

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »
I dont get it.

If chimps were that violent, chimps would have already disappeared(because of killing each other) thousands years ago and they would have not constructed their society style stated by many doctors.

Indeed! Our local polymath, "Suckmymuscle" needs to read up on ethology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethology).

NN

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »
Y0U'RE MENTALLY UNSTABLE 0R JUST NEVER FINISHED 3RD GRADE.

The former.
Trans Milkshake.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »
bump for more inside knowledge about the chimpanzee.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2011, 08:42:11 AM »
bump for more inside knowledge about the chimpanzee.
I'm calling bull shit on the "stronger than 3 linebackers" .. the males are VERY strong but not THAT strong

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:36 AM »
I'm calling bull shit on the "stronger than 3 linebackers" .. the males are VERY strong but not THAT strong

Are the linebackers on steroids or not?

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2011, 09:11:01 AM »
 :P

suckmymuscle

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »
:P

All synthol and esiclene...

SUCKMYMUSCLE