Author Topic: John Romano does Lou Ferrigno little justice  (Read 11311 times)

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
John Romano does Lou Ferrigno little justice
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:51:12 AM »
In the latest issue of MD, Romano attempts to "tells Lou's side of the story" in the ongoing lawsuit with his bother. After much pointless banter, Romano states the Lou has rights to any moneys made off the Ferrigno name - exposing Lou to be the blood sucking leach that he is.

Lou also defends his $20 picture taking policy by comparing himself to Tom Cruise and stating that he is a much bigger name than other IFBB pros. He also claims that the fee charged just to have a picture with him is a source of income that he refuses to compromise.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: John Romano does Lou Ferrigno little justice
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 09:55:09 AM »
In the latest issue of MD, Romano attempts to "tells Lou's side of the story" in the ongoing lawsuit with his bother. After much pointless banter, Romano states the Lou has rights to any moneys made off the Ferrigno name - exposing Lou to be the blood sucking leach that he is.

Lou also defends his $20 picture taking policy by comparing himself to Tom Cruise and stating that he is a much bigger name than other IFBB pros. He also claims that the fee charged just to have a picture with him is a source of income that he refuses to compromise.

Any money made off the Ferrigno name? This dude is a megalomaniac.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:56:12 AM »
I hope lou doesn't hear us talking about him...

leycus 101

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:02:10 AM »
I read romanos column last nite.  I really dont agree with him on this one. Yes
lou ferringno defended himself in saying he is a big time name and that his autograph is worth alot of money, going as high as $300 on ebay, so the $20 that he does charge is a great deal  ::) .  He also didnt deny charging kids money for his autograph either. In my opinion he is intitled to charge money for his signiture, but......... when it comes to certain situations as little kids theres no need to charge money for anything that they ask for. And lastly i believe any fan should be able to have your autograph for free, but just have to pay for the picture itself, whatever it cost $2$5$10???   The only autograph worth paying for is gods, and no one on this earth is god, especially lou "what did you say" ferrigno!
pump'em dump'em

mikediesel

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 10:03:03 AM »
Any money made off the Ferrigno name? This dude is a megalomaniac.

SUED!!!!!!!  ;)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:09:02 AM »
Suing one's own brother is a douchebag move, no matter how you slice it. But from a strictly business perspective, Lou actually has a legitimate beef.

He is the one who has built up the value of the "Ferrigno" brand name in muscle-related spheres. Just because the brother was born with the same name doesn't mean he's not diluting the value of Lou's investment by using it to promote some piece-of-crap gym in Jersey or wherever.

Look at it this way. Even if you were born with the name John McDonald, no court in the country is going to let you open a fast food restaurant and call it McDonald's. [Yeah, I know "McDonald's" is trademarked and "Ferrigno" probably isn't. But the prinicple is the same.]

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 10:09:37 AM »
I love this shot, he has an expression of "hmm, is this how I spell my last name?  Aww screw it, this little brat won't know the difference anyway."

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
Lou should pay a visit to getbig.com. I'm sure he'll have a good time..lmao ;D
Get Big, or Die Trying

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 10:12:36 AM »
Asking money for an autograph, I dont know of any other sportsman who does that. It's ripping off your fans.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 10:13:42 AM »
Asking money for an autograph, I dont know of any other sportsman who does that. It's ripping off your fans.

Mickey Mantle, Pete Rose, and about 50 other baseball players come to mind.  :)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 10:15:14 AM »
Suing one's own brother is a douchebag move, no matter how you slice it. But from a strictly business perspective, Lou actually has a legitimate beef.

He is the one who has built up the value of the "Ferrigno" brand name in muscle-related spheres. Just because the brother was born with the same name doesn't mean he's not diluting the value of Lou's investment by using it to promote some piece-of-crap gym in Jersey or wherever.

Look at it this way. Even if you were born with the name John McDonald, no court in the country is going to let you open a fast food restaurant and call it McDonald's. [Yeah, I know "McDonald's" is trademarked and "Ferrigno" probably isn't. But the prinicple is the same.]

So as an example you're using the most well known restaurant in the world to compare with Lou Ferrigno?

If I read the back story correctly, this store the brother owns was started by him and his father almost three decades ago. It has been in existence for a long long time, perhaps even preceding Lou Ferrigno's ascension to the national spotlight. If the store was opened recently I would agree but it wasn't.

SirGossip

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 10:16:06 AM »
Let me set this straight once and for all...

First of all, I know Lou personally and have trained with him, been to his house, met his family etc...

Lou is a nice, decent and good guy. Period. He doesn't speak badly about anyone and he is very kind to the random people that come up to him all the time.

With regard to his brother. He loves his brother of course, just like he loves all of his family - but the fact is that his brother is trading off of LOU's effort and making money at it and that is not fair. A gym named anything Ferrigno, IMPLIES that Lou has something to do with it - and we all know it. The only reason that "Ferrigno" has any significant meaning or value to the name of a gym is directly due to the time,work and effort that LOU put in.

So Lou's brother, who is trading off of Lou's career and making money at it, should be paying Lou something for the leveraging of his name like that. It doesn't matter that it is also his own last name. Without Lou's effort, the mass public would not know anything about any Ferrigno and we all wouldn't even be talking about it here.

To further illustrate, my last name is Schwarzenegger. If I opened a gym TODAY and called it Schwarzenegger Fitness, should I be able to claim that I am not using Arnold's credibility to establish a business for myself? I mean hey, my last name IS Schwarzenegger too!

Let's not all be stupid ok??

Lou has worked hard and his brother is using that fact to make money for himself. That is wrong, and his brother should be at least paying Lou a share of the profits and acknowlede the truth about what he is doing. The fact that he doesn't do that puts Lou's brother in the wrong - not Lou.

Also, you have to understand that people come up to Lou ALL THE TIME and ask for something. Advice, a picture, this that and the other... This has gone on for more than 20 years and I think that it is unrealistic to expect Lou to just give all his time away for free like that. Charging people $20 a picture is a fair way to minimize the gimmie-gimmie behavior that the public constantly demonstrates. Everybody always feel that they should get everything for free or that Lou OWES them something. He doesn't.

Now I suppose you can just keep hating on Lou because he wont let his brother exploit him or let the public just exploit him, but the fact is that he is just practicing good business sense and making sure that he leverages the momentum of his career as smartly as possible.

And Lou is no "blood sucking leach" by any means. He donates a lot of time to helping kids and educating them about narcotic drug abuse. Lou has also recently become a Sheriff and has been helping the community in the little spare time he has.

Look, nobody is perfect but Lou is a good guy and has done a lot for the profile of bodybuilding (in a positive way) and I think that it only hurts the sport when we undermine one of the few living bodybuilding icons that the MASS public knows and adores...

-SirGossip

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 10:18:55 AM »
First of all, I know Lou personally and have trained with him, been to his house, met his family etc...

-SirGossip

How much did he charge you to meet his family? Was there a charge to use the bathroom?

With regard to his brother. He loves his brother of course
-SirGossip

Sure he does.  ::)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 10:20:50 AM »
If I read the back story correctly, this store the brother owns was started by him and his father almost three decades ago. It has been in existence for a long long time, perhaps even preceding Lou Ferrigno's ascension to the national spotlight. If the store was opened recently I would agree but it wasn't.

I just assumed this was a new gym. If it was around before Lou derived his main source of income from muscle-related endeavors, then there's no legal complication: Lou is just a douchebag.  :) Tx for the info.

leycus 101

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 10:25:11 AM »
who gives a f*ck if his brother is using his last for a business venture. If i was famous and well off id be happy as hell if my little brother got to make money off of myself cuz that is what a brother is all about.  If it was some stranger that was doing that, then thats a whole other story.  Family is blood and id die for anyone of my family members.  I wouldnt argue and deny lou being a nice person, but i would bet my life that he is a cheap money hording bastard.  Come on lou is your brother for christs sake. next time when you get a check up, ask the doctor for a heart screening i wouldnt be surprised if its the same size as the grinche's  :P   ..
pump'em dump'em

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »
I think lou has a crappy upbringing and is a major prick now as a result.

I also believe I'd use his signature for TP then mail it back to him and as for a refund.

Also,

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 10:36:19 AM »

Actually I met Tom Cruise years ago when he was with Nicole at a restaurant. I waited for him to finish eating and asked if I could have an autograph. He graceously said yes, cost = $0, so bad comparison.

There is definitely something further than just Lou collecting against his brother whether it be animosity in some form, the fact that he can hear and Lou cant etc etc. if you are a superstar living a comfortable life, you do not go after you less fortunate brother.....

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 11:20:19 AM »
It think its pretty amusing that Lou feels the need to charge for his autograph.

I bet he wishes he'd invested his money better

toolarge4u

• Getbig III
  • Handicap stall is for dips you dicksock
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 11:55:43 AM »
Let me set this straight once and for all...

Lou is a nice, decent and good guy. Period. He doesn't speak badly about anyone and he is very kind to the random people that come up to him all the time.

With regard to his brother. He loves his brother of course, just like he loves all of his family - but the fact is that his brother is trading off of LOU's effort and making money at it and that is not fair. A gym named anything Ferrigno, IMPLIES that Lou has something to do with it - and we all know it. The only reason that "Ferrigno" has any significant meaning or value to the name of a gym is directly due to the time,work and effort that LOU put in.

So Lou's brother, who is trading off of Lou's career and making money at it, should be paying Lou something for the leveraging of his name like that. It doesn't matter that it is also his own last name. Without Lou's effort, the mass public would not know anything about any Ferrigno and we all wouldn't even be talking about it here.

To further illustrate, my last name is Schwarzenegger. If I opened a gym TODAY and called it Schwarzenegger Fitness, should I be able to claim that I am not using Arnold's credibility to establish a business for myself? I mean hey, my last name IS Schwarzenegger too!

Let's not all be stupid ok??

Lou has worked hard and his brother is using that fact to make money for himself. That is wrong, and his brother should be at least paying Lou a share of the profits and acknowlede the truth about what he is doing. The fact that he doesn't do that puts Lou's brother in the wrong - not Lou.

Also, you have to understand that people come up to Lou ALL THE TIME and ask for something. Advice, a picture, this that and the other... This has gone on for more than 20 years and I think that it is unrealistic to expect Lou to just give all his time away for free like that. Charging people $20 a picture is a fair way to minimize the gimmie-gimmie behavior that the public constantly demonstrates. Everybody always feel that they should get everything for free or that Lou OWES them something. He doesn't.

Now I suppose you can just keep hating on Lou because he wont let his brother exploit him or let the public just exploit him, but the fact is that he is just practicing good business sense and making sure that he leverages the momentum of his career as smartly as possible.

And Lou is no "blood sucking leach" by any means. He donates a lot of time to helping kids and educating them about narcotic drug abuse. Lou has also recently become a Sheriff and has been helping the community in the little spare time he has.

Look, nobody is perfect but Lou is a good guy and has done a lot for the profile of bodybuilding (in a positive way) and I think that it only hurts the sport when we undermine one of the few living bodybuilding icons that the MASS public knows and adores...

-SirGossip

couldnt agree more, i know lou very well also, i have trained with him, worked the arnold 3-4 years with him and hung out with him whenever he was in mass for a convention. At the arnold hes givin photos that are not his that are to be signed for the little kids and little athletes comepeting. He does hundreds, he also gives any handicapped person whatever they want for free on the table. Alot of disabled people come just for him. Whenever we are out in public (not at an expo) hes never asked for money or refused a pic or signing. He loves to talk with everyday people as well. Hes a good man if you know him an what hes about. I have known him for 6-7 years now and we talk alot and i enjoy his friendship as does my family. As for hom charging, he doesnt get a cent to be there other then his pics, he also pays for all his own materials. Ask cutler what he gets just to show up, not to mention all his pics are paid for by sponsors. Keep being idiots as usual. Arnold loves your $500 for a polaroid with him right before they pat you down.

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 12:04:43 PM »
did sylvester ever sue frank stallone.

no, he didnt.

eat a dick, lou.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 12:29:41 PM »
did sylvester ever sue frank stallone.

no, he didnt.

eat a dick, lou.

LMAO!!!

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »
I read the MD article as well...it is really hard to make a judgment not knowing all details.

When I first heard about this I immediately said Lou is a loser, but most of that came from hearing about how he charges kids for pictures/autographs.

What if Lou asked his brother for part ownership in the health club as payment to continue using the Ferrigno name that he is capitaizing on and his brother told him to fuck off? Is that fair to Lou?

If it were me and one of my siblings were capitilizing off my name this way I might very well ask that they give me at least 10% ownership in the company, and I think it would be a reasonable request.

Without knowing all of the details of what transpired and brought this to a law suit it's hard to judge. But I still think Lou is a loser for charging kids for pics/autographs and as said above comparing himself to A list actors is just plain silly. I think he should gladly take free pics with any fan that asks and sign something that they bring him and only sell the pics to adults.

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 02:23:47 PM »
Lou wants to trademark the "Ferrigno" name for the bodybuilding industry.  Why can't he?  Because he's not the only person with the Ferrigno name.  Since he can't legally trademark it, he's trying to intimidate his brother into forcing him to pay Lou for the right to have the same name.  It's bullshit.  Lou's legal case is without merit & will be tossed.

As for payment for signatures at an expo, Lou sees it as a professional fundraiser & if people are willing to pay for his signature, then fine.  However, at a public event it is not illegal to take a photo.  If the people running the expo ban cameras, then it's their right to.  But it is not Lou's right to tell people they cannot take a photo in a public place.  Again, since he doesn't have the right to do that, he's trying to intimidate people into doing it the way he wants it.  Again, bullshit.

He doesn't sound like a "nice guy" to me. 

Slick Vic

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 02:26:46 PM »

Wow. Okay....

1) Suddenly, 20 something years later, this becomes an issue about Andy using his last name as wellfor his business. Oh, I get it. Lou had to wait for the passing of his father.

2) Poor Louie. NEVER, EVERcompare yourself to Tom Cruise's caliber. Flash bulbs aren't exactly flashing in your face at the expos.... trust me.  ::)
And Tom Cruise doesn't "charge" for pictures.  :P

3) Lastly, Lou charges like everyone else. Fine. But don't be a dick about it. Take pride in your fans. After all, we are supplying you your "income".  ::)

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 02:31:12 PM »
Lou wants to trademark the "Ferrigno" name for the bodybuilding industry.  Why can't he?  Because he's not the only person with the Ferrigno name.  Since he can't legally trademark it, he's trying to intimidate his brother into forcing him to pay Lou for the right to have the same name.  It's bullshit.  Lou's legal case is without merit & will be tossed.

yeah, but apparently there is a bit more to it, the gym has walls painted green and pics all over of Lou, basically implying to the public that it is Lou's gym... so, it is not just about using the Ferrigno name.

I am not defending Lou's law suit, I would just like to know more details.