Author Topic: Anything cool to do in Austin Texas?  (Read 4466 times)

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
Re: Anything cool to do in Austin Texas?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »
There sure as heck is something cool to do in Austin, for the Getbigger.

At the University of Texas there in Austin is the Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports.  Among its "iron" collection is The Joe and Betty Weider Museum. 

Here is a link, check it all out:

www.starkcenter.org

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 11:35:14 AM »
Places to eat. Jack Allens Kitchen. Franklins BBq is the best brisket in the nation. but you have to wait in line.

x2  A must-not-miss. Unless, you're not a pig like me, then by all means.  

ADD: If you're into books, the Harry Ransom Center at UofT is stunning, world-class. They have everything. I would love to run a heist on that place. Zip-lines, trucks, costumes, detectives looking silly.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
I like to eat, so hopefully these recommendations are spot on. I'll eat out every meal. Staying at the JW Marriott which has a ton of restaurants but I'd rather go out and sample local food. I like live music which I heard is big here. My wife may join me later in the week, but for now I'm rolling solo so I have time to see whatever. Thanks for the advices.

Austin has a lot of live music downtown. Cedar Street Courtyard on Wednesday is good. Speakeasy is good as well. You can't really walk by a bar on 6th st without hearing a band.

Food recommendations downtown:

Gueros Taco Bar on South Congress. It's a popular hangout for some of the local celebrities and the food is decent. A place people hit when visiting Austin

Perlas Seafood on South Congress. Nice open air seating to people watch and good food

El Alma on Barton Springs, good food and drinks. Upstairs in open air

Huts is the place for burgers and another Austin icon

The food trailers on South 1st. I think Torchys has a trailer there as well.

The Launderette is a foodie favorite on Holly St

VIA 313 is a popular pizza trailer. It's deep deep dish and always voted in the top 3

Fonda San Miguel is a central Mexico type restaurant, a break from the Tex-Mex and highly rated. It's a short uber ride from down town

The Oasis is located out at the lake up north, interesting place on the side of the cliff overlooking Lake Travis. People go for the sunset. Food is okay, but nothing to write home about, its all about the view there.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
If I'm ever in Texas I'll get a pair of bespoke boots.

Drive down to Nuevo Laredo and get you some sea turtle boots.

They are on the endangered species list and therefore illegal in the states but for 50 bucks or so u can get the Mexican cab driver to wear them across then switch once on American soil.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »

Well, you know they say there are only two things come out of Texas....

You are a humorless person, geesh.

Chuck Norris and Ronnie Coleman?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 05:08:45 AM »
Austin has a lot of live music downtown. Cedar Street Courtyard on Wednesday is good. Speakeasy is good as well. You can't really walk by a bar on 6th st without hearing a band.

Food recommendations downtown:

Gueros Taco Bar on South Congress. It's a popular hangout for some of the local celebrities and the food is decent. A place people hit when visiting Austin

Perlas Seafood on South Congress. Nice open air seating to people watch and good food

El Alma on Barton Springs, good food and drinks. Upstairs in open air

Huts is the place for burgers and another Austin icon

The food trailers on South 1st. I think Torchys has a trailer there as well.

The Launderette is a foodie favorite on Holly St

VIA 313 is a popular pizza trailer. It's deep deep dish and always voted in the top 3

Fonda San Miguel is a central Mexico type restaurant, a break from the Tex-Mex and highly rated. It's a short uber ride from down town

The Oasis is located out at the lake up north, interesting place on the side of the cliff overlooking Lake Travis. People go for the sunset. Food is okay, but nothing to write home about, its all about the view there.

Thanks. I'm at the JW Marriot and all of those places are near by. Will hit all of them.

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 06:06:49 AM »
Places to eat. Jack Allens Kitchen. Franklins BBq is the best brisket in the nation. but you have to wait in line.

Jack Allens is mediocre at best. Franklins is good, but over rated. If you want to wait in line, which my fellow Austinites seems to enjoy doing for hours on end, then feel free.

My wife and I have lived here 17 years. What do you like and what kind of food excites you?

Also, where in Austin will you be staying and will you have access to a car or be Ubering it?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 06:23:18 AM »
Makings of a Texas Style Spit Roast appear.

My wife and I have lived here 17 years. What do you like and what kind of food excites you?

Also, where in Austin will you be staying and will you have access to a car or be Ubering it?

seCrawler

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »
x2  A must-not-miss. Unless, you're not a pig like me, then by all means.  

ADD: If you're into books, the Harry Ransom Center at UofT is stunning, world-class. They have everything. I would love to run a heist on that place. Zip-lines, trucks, costumes, detectives looking silly.

Do you live in  Austin?  I always took you for a Vermont, Maine or New Hampshire kind of guy.  As far as things to do in Austin...

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »
Drive down to Nuevo Laredo and get you some sea turtle boots.

They are on the endangered species list and therefore illegal in the states but for 50 bucks or so u can get the Mexican cab driver to wear them across then switch once on American soil.
WTF! If the world isn't in a sorry enough state, let's make boots out of turtles and wrangle in some peon taxi driver. Jesus wept.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 08:25:52 AM »
My favorite pair are the hide of a Mexican taxi driver.  Jesus tattooed.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 08:28:45 AM »
Help Ronnie Coleman cross the street.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »
Cries, and wishes he was a turtle of the ninja variety -

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
My favorite pair are the hide of a Mexican taxi driver.  Jesus tattooed.

The drug cartel could likely arrange that one too for the right price.  :D

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »

lol poor turtles.. sitting ducks

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »

Thanks. I'm at the JW Marriot and all of those places are near by. Will hit all of them.

What the fuck. I was just at the hotel last week.  Franklins is bonkers. Fucking degenerates waiting in line daily from 7:00 am.  People in Austin will argue about bbq but they all agree about franklins. There’s some hot college snatch on 6th. You’re just a block away.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »
What the fuck. I was just at the hotel last week.  Franklins is bonkers. Fucking degenerates waiting in line daily from 7:00 am.  People in Austin will argue about bbq but they all agree about franklins. There’s some hot college snatch on 6th. You’re just a block away.

At Franklin, there are homeless that will stand in line for you. I've never used that service, I've always ordered on line 2 or 3 months in advance and avoided the line. The brisket is what you want, everything else is on par with many other places in Austin but no one can touch the brisket at Franklins

There are a Ton of Tex Mex options. Down town area, El Alma is good. On South Lamar there is Matt's El Rancho. Been in Austin years.. People swear by it, I think it's ok. Eddie V's downtown was rated top 10 in Texas for it's bone in ribeye. It's supposed to specialize in seafood but they got the steaks down pretty well. III Forks downtown is good as well as Perrys. Never understood the attraction to Austin Land and Cattle Company for steaks but somehow they always get rave reviews.     

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:19 PM »

😰

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 04:16:25 AM »
Travel south to gruene/new braunfels; or make it out to wimberley.

that's what I would do.
a

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 11:41:40 AM »
Travel south to gruene/new braunfels; or make it out to wimberley.

that's what I would do.

Not a bad suggestion. Gruene is a nice little town and the Gristmill has pretty good food. Another option is taking a drive out to Fredericksburg and hit a couple wineries along the way. The wine for the most part is not all that good, Grape Creek is probably the best, but they have nice patios and its a little break on the way into town. 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 09:59:24 PM »
At Franklin, there are homeless that will stand in line for you. I've never used that service, I've always ordered on line 2 or 3 months in advance and avoided the line. The brisket is what you want, everything else is on par with many other places in Austin but no one can touch the brisket at Franklins

There are a Ton of Tex Mex options. Down town area, El Alma is good. On South Lamar there is Matt's El Rancho. Been in Austin years.. People swear by it, I think it's ok. Eddie V's downtown was rated top 10 in Texas for it's bone in ribeye. It's supposed to specialize in seafood but they got the steaks down pretty well. III Forks downtown is good as well as Perrys. Never understood the attraction to Austin Land and Cattle Company for steaks but somehow they always get rave reviews.     

Is Uncle Julios any good? Also, what's up with every restaurant having neon lights and looking like a strip club? Majorly confusing to me.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »
Is Uncle Julios any good? Also, what's up with every restaurant having neon lights and looking like a strip club? Majorly confusing to me.

Been to Uncle Julios a couple times. The Shrimp Diablo is good. It is an okay place that requires no reservations typically, because of the size. Not sure about the neon lights thing. If you are stuck walking, Uncle Julios will do for some tex mex. But El Almas is better.   

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »
When my brother lived there, we did the bats under the bridge thing.  Can't remember what it was called but you go out on these little boats after dark and there is something like a million bats that are all under the bridge.  Kind of cool except that you are most likely being sprayed with batshit and don't even realize it.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 11:19:06 PM »
When my brother lived there, we did the bats under the bridge thing.  Can't remember what it was called but you go out on these little boats after dark and there is something like a million bats that are all under the bridge.  Kind of cool except that you are most likely being sprayed with batshit and don't even realize it.

It's March thru November

muscleman-2017

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 11:35:45 PM »
I hear Austin Texas is a real big location for CIA Psyop people.  Lots of CIA FBI types all over the area.

Drop in and say hello to Alex Jones.