Author Topic: Under The Bar by Dave Tate  (Read 2687 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Under The Bar by Dave Tate
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »
I read this book last week and I thought I would give it a review here because I know many of us order from Elitefts.com. "12 Lessons from the World of Powerlifting" is the sub-title but I still expected something more geared towards training. The book goes through many "lessons" that Tate was taught while "under the bar." Responsibility, dedication, and perseverence were among these lessons. We all have learned these things one way or another but it is interesting to hear about how Dave reflects on his life and sees these events as a learning experience.

Most of us come upon these lessons in our own way but I would recommend this book as a gift to any young person getting into lifting. It goes through many of the same issues any kid has when growing up but throws a twist into it that anyone, who has found their home in the gym, can identify with.

For about $10 you cant go wrong. Quick read, worth a look.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Under The Bar by Dave Tate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:12:41 PM »
the EliteFTS account on youtube is fucckin' awesome, there are about 350 video clips that are all you need to get a complete education on how to powerlift.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
the EliteFTS account on youtube is fucckin' awesome, there are about 350 video clips that are all you need to get a complete education on how to powerlift.
thanks!!
follow the arrows

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »
thanks!!
i'm the type of guy who has to SEE something done to know how to do it, when someone DESCRIBES some obscure lift to me i can never picture it, those clips are absolute GOLD in educating yourself how to lift properly.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:30:29 PM »
i'm the type of guy who has to SEE something done to know how to do it, when someone DESCRIBES some obscure lift to me i can never picture it, those clips are absolute GOLD in educating yourself how to lift properly.

Absolutely. It will save so many people from injuries as well! I have seen some effed up versions of GMs and Box Squats, but if they would see these vids they could avoid the humiliation and pain at the gym.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:11:49 PM »
I read this book last week and I thought I would give it a review here because I know many of us order from Elitefts.com. "12 Lessons from the World of Powerlifting" is the sub-title but I still expected something more geared towards training. The book goes through many "lessons" that Tate was taught while "under the bar." Responsibility, dedication, and perseverence were among these lessons. We all have learned these things one way or another but it is interesting to hear about how Dave reflects on his life and sees these events as a learning experience.

Most of us come upon these lessons in our own way but I would recommend this book as a gift to any young person getting into lifting. It goes through many of the same issues any kid has when growing up but throws a twist into it that anyone, who has found their home in the gym, can identify with.

For about $10 you cant go wrong. Quick read, worth a look.

I'll agree.  Its a good read, especially for a young person or a person looking for some motivation.  I got the book two years ago, and the one take home message I got from it was to seriously want to kick myself.   I lived in Columbus for almost 5 years and during that time I didn't have the sense just man up and travel to Grove City or over to London.  Hindsight is 20-20 I guess....... 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:37:22 PM »

no shit man i'm the same way..you can tell me how to do it a million times but unless it just dawns on me when I do it or I SEE it done, then we're golden. I can't tell you how many times I've raided their youtube account to reference certain lifts or watch their seminars they've taped a few times.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 11:57:45 AM »
Vet,

You mention London. I'm trying to pull together a list of powerlisting gyms to add to my hobby site (ie not commercial and I'm not trying to make a fast buck!) and wonder if you know any good power lifting gyms i've missed off on www.gymvisit.com/london/

Either way would love to know if people think this type of site is useful? J

LOL, Dude, you completely misunderstood where I was talking about--I  think.   London, Ohio is the home of Elitefts, where Dave Tate lives and works.  Grove City is the home of Westside Barbell.    I used to live in Columbus Ohio, which is about 30 minutes from each of those (well, not actually, Grove City is basically just outside of the Interstate loop, about 45 minutes from where I lived.   

Anyway, the only part of London England I've been too in the last 6 years are the airports passing through.