Author Topic: POLL: strength or size?  (Read 3735 times)

Ledd

• Getbig III
POLL: strength or size?
« on: November 16, 2005, 04:40:54 PM »
Just a poll to see what others prefer.  I am smaller than alot of the guys in my gym, smaller bones, less body fat and I'm only 5'9" 170-175lbs.  But my lifts are essentially equal to 95% of the members I see, some fall behind but many are ahead of others..  Sometimes I regret my lack of size just because larger people seem to be taken more seriously in the gym and receive more respect.  Anyway, the question which would you prefer if you had your choice strength or size? 

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: POLL: strength or size?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:09:58 PM »
thats a really good question, although personally i think most younger people work out for size. I do know someone who was on roids and hes a pretty big guy he was struggling for 7 reps with 135 on bp. It just looked funny becuase of his size and lack of strength.  If your training and eating right size should come with strenght.
big or bust

(nothing)

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 08:19:11 PM »
size
fat till furthe

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 07:50:01 AM »
Size and functional strength... ;D

8)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 11:03:53 AM »
I'd say strength, to a degree.  I think the best happy medium is what is known as "powerbuilding".  Essentially, we are all training for useful purpose; i think there is a lot of value in the relatively mean and ignorant question "what's the point of having all those muscles if you don't use them for anything?"  If you train to be stronger, especially by the powerbuilding method, the size will come. 

I also agree with overload that functional strength is huge.
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 09:08:05 AM »
Strength.  Obtaining large muscle mass is a perception that one is strong  (and healthy) and can be used as a intimidation factor for some. Being overwhelmingly  strong for you size and bwt is not so much perception but reality.  All in all,  I think that stamina (strength & endurance) would be the most  functional and desirable of either size or strength. Good Luck.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 10:39:13 PM »
Strength without a doubt...I prefer the look of the leaner heavyweight powerlifters anyways which focusing on strngth yields itself too.  I would much rather look like Joe ladnier or Ryan Kennelly than Ronnie Coleman.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 05:08:56 AM »
good size with good stregnth

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 09:23:43 AM »
both: but size comes first as a bber. but i would like to be as strong as i look tho. size overall, we all know the skinny kid can can bench more then everyoe.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 06:50:01 PM »
both: but size comes first as a bber. but i would like to be as strong as i look tho. size overall, we all know the skinny kid can can bench more then everyoe.
      i think your right about size as a bber coming first but i hate the newbie gym kids who just juice like crazy, no nothing, have decent size (from juice for beginners) and have a bench of like 135 for 7 or 8 reps.
bodybuildersreality.com