Author Topic: The Post Office is doing great!  (Read 16448 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: The Post Office is doing great!
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
Bush left office in 2009....Democrats controlled the Congress from 2007-2011 and they had the Presidency and COMPLETE control of government from 2009-2011.  They didn't make an effort to address the situation with the post office pension requirements..so far as I know it was never even on their radar.   Seems like it's the democrats fault to me...

I live right next to Bedford Twp, MI.  It's composed of three villages that have a total population of 30,000 people.  The twp covers roughly 40 square miles of flat acreage with good roads laid out in a nice grid....you can literally drive from one end to the other in less than 10 minutes.  It has one post office in each village.   If the rest of the nation has a set up like that, the post office seriously needs to reevaluate it's staffing.

And having the Post office jump onto the banking industry is possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard.  The level of thievery and corruption within he postal service is high enough...we don't need to add more fuel to that fire.  I'm not even going to address the general incompetence and apathy of the employees...that speaks for itself.
You have no clue whatsoever about the mail system and mail volume.

You would not last a day delivering the mail.  Hope this helps.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »
Wow...brilliant response.  You wouldn't last a day emptying ash trays at a bowling alley...you wouldn't last a day cleaning green beans on a farm...you wouldn't last day scaling fish at a tuna processing plant...you wouldn't last a day selling newspapers at a kiosk....you wouldn't last a day giving out flu shots at Walgreen's....you wouldn't last a day cleaning toilets at the airport...you wouldn't last a day working at a dry cleaners....the list is...literally...endless .

I'll refrain from adding the "hope that helps" bit...that kind of misplaced arrogance is so "early internet." It's not 1994 any more...maybe you should ditch AOL.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
Wow...brilliant response.  You wouldn't last a day emptying ash trays at a bowling alley...you wouldn't last a day cleaning green beans on a farm...you wouldn't last day scaling fish at a tuna processing plant...you wouldn't last a day selling newspapers at a kiosk....you wouldn't last a day giving out flu shots at Walgreen's....you wouldn't last a day cleaning toilets at the airport...you wouldn't last a day working at a dry cleaners....the list is...literally...endless .

I'll refrain from adding the "hope that helps" bit...that kind of misplaced arrogance is so "early internet." It's not 1994 any more...maybe you should ditch AOL.
Well, just enjoy knowing you are wrong about all of it and you have no clue what you are talking about.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2015, 03:30:01 PM »
I thin this is where we start an endless loop of saying "no...you're dumb".

You're stupid enough to think the post office should get into the financial services business.  I'm going to let that stand as proof of your general lack of intelligence and go on about my business.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »

You're stupid enough to think the post office should get into the financial services business.  I'm going to let that stand as proof of your general lack of intelligence and go on about my business.

Yes, because you clearly have nothing but bullshit to spout anyways.  Go on and leave. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2015, 10:37:54 AM »

You're stupid enough to think the post office should get into the financial services business.  I'm going to let that stand as proof of your general lack of intelligence and go on about my business.

You're criticizing something without having the details (in case you hadn't noticed).  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2016, 11:53:48 AM »
Stamp prices are falling by 2 cents, and that's bad news for the USPS
Feb 29th 2016

By dropping the price of stamps by 2 cents, the U.S. Postal Service says it will lose some $2 billion a year.

Starting April 10, stamps for 1-ounce letters will drop in price from 49 cents to 47 cents. This will come after the expiration of a 2-year agreement between Congress and the U.S. Postal Service to raise the price of stamps by 3 cents.

The price hike reportedly helped the sputtering post office raise some $4.6 billion, but knocking the price back down will reportedly cost it $2 billion a year.

Postmaster General Megan J. Brennan says the service is suffering from "extreme multi-year revenue declines" because of the Great Recession.

Brennan said in a statement: "Removing the surcharge and reducing our prices is an irrational outcome considering the Postal Service's precarious financial condition."

The Great Recession and increased online communication has taken a toll on the USPS, which has tried to get creative with how to save and earn money, including a bid to stop Saturday deliveries as well as to start alcohol deliveries.

The Postal Service's move to end Saturday delivery was halted in Congress. The Improving Postal Operations, Service and Transparency Act, which would allow for alcohol deliveries, is currently in review.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/02/29/stamp-prices-are-falling-by-2-cents-and-thats-bad-news-for-the/21320364/?intcmp=hplnws

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2016, 06:41:43 AM »
This whole situation with the Post Ofice is so ridiculous....either fund it like its supposed to to be funded or cut back in service....Mail should not be delivered 6 days a week in this day and age...5 days aweek would be better and even maybe four....most mail today is irrelevant..no one writes letters anymore unless its to a soldier overseas

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »
This whole situation with the Post Ofice is so ridiculous....either fund it like its supposed to to be funded or cut back in service....Mail should not be delivered 6 days a week in this day and age...5 days aweek would be better and even maybe four....most mail today is irrelevant..no one writes letters anymore unless its to a soldier overseas
Ridiculous statement.  Go visit any Post Office and talk to carriers.  There is SOOOOOOOO much mail that most are overburdened delivering 6 days a week.  Now you have Amazon and Internet packages which are huge and only growing.  UPS hands most of these off even to USPS.  The mail volume at any station is heavy, way too heavy to cut back on any service.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2016, 05:46:54 PM »
Ridiculous statement.  Go visit any Post Office and talk to carriers.  There is SOOOOOOOO much mail that most are overburdened delivering 6 days a week.  Now you have Amazon and Internet packages which are huge and only growing.  UPS hands most of these off even to USPS.  The mail volume at any station is heavy, way too heavy to cut back on any service.

You're both right.  Bush tried fucking the PO by making them pay x amount of pension funding upfront which makes it appear there is a funding shortage.  The price of stamps decreasing is ludicrous.  It should have gone up 2 cents at the very least.  I can't think of a better government service available to us than the USPS.  I live in michigan and for less than 50 cents I can put a card in the mail going to family in California and it's there by Wednesday.  Thursday at the latest.  If the GOP had their way and eliminated the USPS, we'd all be dependent of UPS and Fedex.  We'd being paying through our assholes for the most basic of services.  The USPS keeps it's competitors honest.  To a degree.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
U.S. Postal Service's Financial Viability - High Risk Issue
Comprehensive legislative reform and additional cost-cutting measures are needed for the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to achieve sustainable financial viability.

USPS financial viability continues to be high risk because USPS cannot fund its current level of services and financial obligations from its revenues. As stated in GAO’s 2019 High-Risk update, USPS faces financial challenges that include the following:

Poor financial situation: USPS’s overall financial condition is deteriorating and unsustainable. USPS has lost $69 billion over the past 11 fiscal years—including $3.9 billion in fiscal year 2018. USPS’s total unfunded liabilities and debt ($143 billion at the end of fiscal year 2018) have grown to double its annual revenue.

Insufficient cost savings: The savings from  USPS cost-reduction efforts have dwindled in recent years. Although USPS has stated that it will aggressively reduce costs within its control, its plans will not achieve the kind of savings necessary to significantly reduce current operating costs.

Unfavorable trends: USPS’s expenses are now growing faster than its revenues—partly due to rising compensation and benefits costs and continuing declines in the volume of First-Class Mail.

https://www.gao.gov/key_issues/us_postal_service_financial_viability/issue_summary