Author Topic: another look at one of the most incredible bodybuilders ever. THOUGHTS?  (Read 63666 times)

ObiWan

• Getbig I
Re: another look at one of the most incredible bodybuilders ever. THOUGHTS?
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »
Haney WAS ahead of his time. Evidence- 8 X Mr. Olympia.  You don't win the Olympia 8 times in a decade without being ahead of your time.

In today's standards his physique is not as impressive as others, but during his time he was the most massive guy on the Olympia stage with a lat spread that knocked everyone out.

I am not a fan of his physique, but I think Lee Haney does not get much credit or press today for someone that OWNED the Olympia stage for a decade.

May the Force be with you!

Obi-Wan

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
greatest of the decade, and retired just in time.

Dorian would have had him the next year.

Right. Wrong.

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »
Haney had such a small waist.  His back was as wide as a doorway.  Definitely one of the best physiques ever displayed.  Alot of people talk about Ronnie, Dorian, and Arnold on getbig.  They seem to forget that Lee has a record of eight sandows only equalled by Ronnie.
I

The Next BIG Thing!

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Trample the leaves, hurdle the deadfalls.
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »
Haney wasn't that special for his time - he got lucky because he was only up against the little guys like Labrada, Gaspari, and Shawn (before he improved). Strydom et al buggered off to the WBF and they were never really a threat.

If you're looking for physiques ahead of their time, think Arnold and no-one else.

FFS, have you looked at those Haney pics? That taper, the action-figure proportions? The rock-hard density? The vascularity?

Also, remember Haney beat Sergio in '84 (surely a before-his-time physique too?) and Dorian in '91. Are those little guys?

The guy is right, Haney seems to be largely overlooked in BB history. Maybe because he wasn't one for shooting his mouth off.

TNBT
Only 25 characters!?

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »

greatest in his time, maybe, off all time.. nope
are you delusional?

AVBG

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 03:41:04 PM »
Lee Haney was almost unbeatable in his era and will be remembered as an alltime great.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »
Lee Haney was almost unbeatable in his era and will be remembered as an alltime great.
had and incredible torso structure that developed great pecs and sick back,delts were good enough,and arms were not great but good enough to hang off that back ,legs were so/so but his last olympia he showed some good wheels against yates with good seperation and very hard for the last run.his fellow top competitors just didn't have his structure or shape ,gaspari lacked that structure and shape but his condition was off the charts but that was not good enough,labrada great shape but haney outmassed him,demey great look too small,bannout same as demey,christian could hang size and shape wise but really no legs and sometimes he dogged it,good thread to a classic bber.

AVBG

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 08:12:49 PM »
had and incredible torso structure that developed great pecs and sick back,delts were good enough,and arms were not great but good enough to hang off that back ,legs were so/so but his last olympia he showed some good wheels against yates with good seperation and very hard for the last run.his fellow top competitors just didn't have his structure or shape ,gaspari lacked that structure and shape but his condition was off the charts but that was not good enough,labrada great shape but haney outmassed him,demey great look too small,bannout same as demey,christian could hang size and shape wise but really no legs and sometimes he dogged it,good thread to a classic bber.

I remember as I started training Lee Haney was in his prime (1988).. He was so far ahead of the pack it wasn't funny.

Stavios

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 09:30:57 PM »
I'd like to see comparaison pics of videos of haney with other people

he doesn't look like the best bodybuilder ever in my book

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 04:11:11 AM »
I'm not convinced by Haney being one of the greatest ever.  He didn't really have any outstanding features.  OKay he had good shape, good size, good conditioning etc.  It all tied in to make a good bodybuilder at the time, but when compared with legends accross the ages, I don't feel he was amazing.

Would be good to have some video comparing him to others at the time.  Who else was around back then that was really amazing?
It hasn't helped...

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 06:19:37 AM »
nobody had a torso like lee haney back then, his chest, shoulders, traps and back were incredible.  He lost ground in the legs department and his arms just looked small when compared to his gigantic torso.  His waist was always tiny.  When he competed he was in the 250lbs range, his closest competitor was Gaspari-for the most part-and lee had like 40lbs on him.  Labrada was much more complete and really should have won in 89 and 90 but aside from those 2 shows nobody was in Lee's league.  Christian almost got there the year he won the Pro World but he never brought that type of shape to the olympia, same could be said about Ron Love who was comparable to Lee in terms of bodyweight but never brought his best package to the olympia.
nasser=piece of shit

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
Haney wasn't that special for his time - he got lucky because he was only up against the little guys like Labrada, Gaspari, and Shawn (before he improved). Strydom et al buggered off to the WBF and they were never really a threat.

If you're looking for physiques ahead of their time, think Arnold and no-one else.

Agreed; he had a great great torso but to be great overall the arms and legs would've matched, and they didn't. He won that many Olympias thanks to a dearth of great competition and the politics inherent in the IFBB, in which personality also counts for a lot. Haney had that.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 01:00:43 PM »
Haney WAS ahead of his time. Evidence- 8 X Mr. Olympia.  You don't win the Olympia 8 times in a decade without being ahead of your time.

He was not ahead of his time, no.

Using the number of wins as reasoning is ass-backwards, since there are numerous factors for who is permitted to win in the IFBB.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
Haney had such a small waist.  His back was as wide as a doorway.  Definitely one of the best physiques ever displayed. 

Great lat to waist ratio, completely ignoring the fact the arms and legs never matched that impressive torso.

Again, using the numbers of Olympias won is faulty logic that ignores the reality of contest politics. Using that weak logic he was more than 8 times better than Bertil Fox and his idol Robby Robinson combined, which is crap.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »

Also, remember Haney beat Sergio in '84 (surely a before-his-time physique too?) and Dorian in '91. Are those little guys?

The guy is right, Haney seems to be largely overlooked in BB history. Maybe because he wasn't one for shooting his mouth off.

He beat Oliva when Oliva was in his 40s. With Haney's lack of balance and weak arms he'd never have beaten either Oliva or Haney's idol Robby Robinson in fair shows bereft of politics, actually.

Haney overlooked in BB history? lol actually it's the opposite. How many just rely on mentioning his number of wins as sufficient evidence that he was great? Too many.

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 11:09:43 AM »
Sorry, Haney overlooked on getbig.com.  I forgot about everyone on here being an armchair IFBB judge.
I

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 05:50:23 PM »
His back wasn't bad at all
No Worries 4 me

Moosejay

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »
IMO, Haney was the last of Olympians that still looked good, unwarped, and made most want toi emulate him.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 04:17:51 PM »
I always rooted for Labrada (he's still my all-time favorite), but Haney always came across as a good person, and I liked his era best, when I still believed I could look like that with good nutrition and exercise.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2008, 12:30:05 PM »
he has never really impressed me.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2008, 12:43:12 AM »
never impressed me either. yes yes he had a great waist. i think if he were five years younger and competed in the mid 90's with a prime Levrone, Ray, Yates and the gang Haney would have a different history. he left just in the nick of time.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
This is the kind of great guy Haney is .......

About a year before he won the Oly, he guest posed at one of our contests. Before going on stage he asked me to give him an honest critique on how he looked and how he could improve in order to win the Olympia title.

Since he was no where near contest condition, it was a difficult request to abide by but I did see one basic but noticeable flaw which had to be corrected before he stepped on the Oly stage.

And it was very simple but often overlooked by the amateurs as well as by the pros.

"Lee, you have to hit your bicep shots so that the judges sitting below the level of the stage can see the whole bicep at its best advantage instead of merely holding your bicep shot so that they can only see the flexed tricep. Don't pose for the fans in the back row! Throw every shot directly at the judges!"

He listened intently and made the effort to thank me immediately after he won the title, stating that he personally felt that that piece of basic advice was a major factor in his winning the contest.

I but Lee up there among the best in the game - along with Bill Pearl and Larry Scott and a couple of others I can't name at present.

Moosejay

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2008, 06:15:19 PM »
Amazing he'd remember you for that, Stunt. Most of these bores would not.

Moosejay

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »
That is a sick shot of Lee!  :o

Incredible...I wish these guys looked like this today

Fortress

• Getbig V
Lee Haney was fantastic. Those who disagree haven't the experience or mature eye to spot aesthetics and proportioned and detailed muscularity. As well, Haney was one of the sport's biggest at that time. He crushed his peers routinely with his size and density.

He is a gentleman, too.