Author Topic: How low is too low?  (Read 1735 times)

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
How low is too low?
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:37:41 PM »
Now that I'm much more consistent with my diet I figured I would start an Excel sheet of my daily intake and see where I was.  It wasn't what I expected to be honest.  Mind you I'm 6'2, 245lbs. :o This is what I totaled for yesterday:

570 Cal
18g Fat
67g Carbs
10g Fiber
26g Sugar
106g Protein

Gym time hasn't been what I've wanted due to a broken toe, but I've still been able to work my upper body pretty well(Using the Serge Nubret workout) and still get some cardio in on the bikes or an elliptical for the time being.  Now I don't mean for my overall intake to be so low, but I feel like I'm overeating even though now I can see that I'm not.  Should I add in another protein shake during the day to boost the numbers a bit or get some almonds to also give a bit of a boost?  I'm at a bit of a loss and I don't want my body to think it's starving and hinder my fat loss.

Cheers. :D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: How low is too low?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
Now that I'm much more consistent with my diet I figured I would start an Excel sheet of my daily intake and see where I was.  It wasn't what I expected to be honest.  Mind you I'm 6'2, 245lbs. :o This is what I totaled for yesterday:

570 Cal
18g Fat
67g Carbs
10g Fiber
26g Sugar
106g Protein

Gym time hasn't been what I've wanted due to a broken toe, but I've still been able to work my upper body pretty well(Using the Serge Nubret workout) and still get some cardio in on the bikes or an elliptical for the time being.  Now I don't mean for my overall intake to be so low, but I feel like I'm overeating even though now I can see that I'm not.  Should I add in another protein shake during the day to boost the numbers a bit or get some almonds to also give a bit of a boost?  I'm at a bit of a loss and I don't want my body to think it's starving and hinder my fat loss.

Something isn't right in your calculations.

Fat = 9 cal/g
Carbs = 4 cal/g
Protein = 4 cal/g

That would be 854 calories which is still too low.  Protein should be at a minimum 196g depending on goals with carbs and fat making up the balance, again, depending on goals, current bf/lbm and fitness level.
:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »
yup, i think you have a typo in your excel formula

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »

570 Cal
18g Fat
67g Carbs
10g Fiber
26g Sugar
106g Protein

something is wrong with your software...

bench

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:00:06 PM »
There are many things wrong with my software...wait a minute...

I'll double check everything in the morning.  I just got back from the gym and getting some food ready so tomorrow I'll take a look at everything again and see what was left out.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 05:51:33 AM »
Something isn't right in your calculations.

Fat = 9 cal/g
Carbs = 4 cal/g
Protein = 4 cal/g

That would be 854 calories which is still too low.  Protein should be at a minimum 196g depending on goals with carbs and fat making up the balance, again, depending on goals, current bf/lbm and fitness level.

Maybe he's reading food nutrition labels.  Many times, something isn't right with their calculations either.  If you add up the calories based on the grams of fat, carbs and protein per serving that they list, your total will not equal the total calories per serving on the label.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »
According to Harvard Medical School, less than 1,200 calories a day is too low.  But depending on your size and how active you are, even 1,800 calories a day maybe too low for you.

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:58:28 AM »
Maybe he's reading food nutrition labels.  Many times, something isn't right with their calculations either.  If you add up the calories based on the grams of fat, carbs and protein per serving that they list, your total will not equal the total calories per serving on the label.

That's what I was going off of.  I double checked the main things and I realized I didn't add in the calories for the pineapple which now brings me to 705, but even that seems to be off with the calculations from Princess L.  But the past few days I made an effort to get more food into my body since I've been doing an hour of cardio(20 mins HIIT at the end) on my off days and hitting the gym 3-4 times a week followed by running 2 miles.  My energy has been fine though which I find somewhat odd, however most "snacks" are carb loaded.  Pineapples, rice cakes, etc...  But like I said earlier, I'm afraid my body might be going into a starvation mode of sorts so I'm trying to find the right balance.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »
We're not going to get anywhere this way. Post an example of a day's foods.
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
That's what I was going off of.  I double checked the main things and I realized I didn't add in the calories for the pineapple which now brings me to 705, but even that seems to be off with the calculations from Princess L.  But the past few days I made an effort to get more food into my body since I've been doing an hour of cardio(20 mins HIIT at the end) on my off days and hitting the gym 3-4 times a week followed by running 2 miles.  My energy has been fine though which I find somewhat odd, however most "snacks" are carb loaded.  Pineapples, rice cakes, etc...  But like I said earlier, I'm afraid my body might be going into a starvation mode of sorts so I'm trying to find the right balance.

I really hope that you are way off with your calculations and that you are consuming at least 1,200 calories a day.  705 calories is not enough for anybody, and with the amount of exercise you say you are doing, you are going to get sick and/or die.  At best, the way you are going, you'll end up losing lots of muscle mass and cause your body to retain body fat.  

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:23:22 PM »
We're not going to get anywhere this way. Post an example of a day's foods.

exactly.

also, don't forget that food labels are rounded figures.

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »
This is pretty much the general daily intake.

Meal1:
1 cup Oatmeal with a protein shake(ON Gold Standard with fat free milk)
Meal2:
8oz chicken breast(seasoned with lemon pepper) and water
Meal3:
2 handfulls of Almonds or 4 slices of pineapple pineapple with a protein shake
Meal4:
1 cup Brown rice and ground turkey(extra lean) with green tea and honey
Meal5:
Post workout meal: Turkey burger on a whole wheat bun and a protein shake.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
This is pretty much the general daily intake.

Meal1:
1 cup Oatmeal (145)  with a protein shake(ON Gold Standard with fat free milk) (200)
Meal2:
8oz chicken breast(seasoned with lemon pepper) and water (390)
Meal3:
2 handfulls of Almonds (330) or 4 slices of pineapple (115) with a protein shake(200)
Meal4:
1 cup Brown rice (215) and ground turkey(extra lean) (300) with green tea and honey (60)
Meal5:
Post workout meal: Turkey burger (120)  on a whole wheat (150) bun and a protein shake. (200)

Where are you getting your numbers from?
:

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »
 Where are you getting your numbers from?

The labels.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 07:06:47 PM »
The labels.

???

Post your numbers against my numbers.  Something is way off and I don't believe it's my numbers.
: