Author Topic: Miguel Cabrera Nearly Getbig Pay  (Read 8310 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
Re: Miguel Cabrera Nearly Getbig Pay
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 07:09:34 AM »
Yanks won't do 10 years for a 30 year old - just let Cano go for the same reason.

didn't the Yankees give Arod a new 10 year deal when Arod was 32?

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 07:28:09 AM »
So I guess folks forgot how the Pujols deal turned out for Anaheim.

Short, convenienct memories abound!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 07:31:04 AM »
Exactly, the fact that Cabrera being  injured is still the best baseball player in MLB  makes him like from another planet.

He's not, Trout is.

Both are elite hitters, but Trout is a stellar fielder and baserunner, where Cabrerra is below average at both.

And Trout hasn't hit his theoretical prime.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 07:32:23 AM »
didn't the Yankees give Arod a new 10 year deal when Arod was 32?

7 years ago, and it was largely driven by the old regime.  I think they were banking on marketing the living shit out of the "legit" HR champ......oops.
Y

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 07:37:27 AM »
Cabrera has maybe 3-4 more good yers left.  10 is going to be a waste of money.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 07:39:43 AM »
7 years ago, and it was largely driven by the old regime.  I think they were banking on marketing the living shit out of the "legit" HR champ......oops.

do you think that the Yankees were wise to give a 7 year contract (for big money) to a star Japanese pitcher who has yet to throw a pitch in the major leagues?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 07:52:46 AM »
do you think that the Yankees were wise to give a 7 year contract (for big money) to a star Japanese pitcher who has yet to throw a pitch in the major leagues?

It's a risk, yes.  But they've been scouting him for years, so they feel they think it will translate well.

As for the $$, one thing that's lost is the fact that he's 25, and there's really no baseline for 25 year old pitchers hitting the FA market.  It doesn't really happen, so the fact that he's so young is going to inflate the totals he'll get.

Plus, given the fact the Yankees automatically drop 60M+ in revenues when they miss the playoffs, paying 1,2 or even 3M per year extra to acquire the player they want makes perfect sense.  Tanaka was getting 20M per, even if the Yankees weren't involved.
Y

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 08:03:03 AM »
Marlins made the worst trade in Baseball history when they traded Cabrera in 2007 to Detroit!

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 08:04:53 AM »
It's a risk, yes.  But they've been scouting him for years, so they feel they think it will translate well.

As for the $$, one thing that's lost is the fact that he's 25, and there's really no baseline for 25 year old pitchers hitting the FA market.  It doesn't really happen, so the fact that he's so young is going to inflate the totals he'll get.

Plus, given the fact the Yankees automatically drop 60M+ in revenues when they miss the playoffs, paying 1,2 or even 3M per year extra to acquire the player they want makes perfect sense.  Tanaka was getting 20M per, even if the Yankees weren't involved.

If Tanaka ends up being just a serviceable 3rd starter in the Yankees rotation then that's gotta be disappointing (despite what the brass has said to lower expectations on him.)

I'll have one of the best seats in the house (first row behind the plate) for Tanaka's MLB debut at the Blue Jays' home opener next Friday.  With all the hoopla and festivities that evening (and with tons of Japanese media in attendance), I hope that Masahiro gets rocked!  ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
If Tanaka ends up being just a serviceable 3rd starter in the Yankees rotation then that's gotta be disappointing (despite what the brass has said to lower expectations on him.)

I'll have one of the best seats in the house (first row behind the plate) for Tanaka's MLB debut at the Blue Jays' home opener next Friday.  With all the hoopla and festivities that evening (and with tons of Japanese media in attendance), I hope that Masahiro gets rocked!  ;D

If he's a #3 that will work out well, but a #2 with some ace like games will be much better.

Pretty cool that you're going to that game.  I'm supposed to grab a game up there with people from our Toronto office this year.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
Horrible contract. Great for him but he'll start breaking down in a few years because let's face it....as good as he is..he doesn't keep himself in the best of shape. He'll switch to DH in two years or so.

By year 4 of this deal the Tigers will be looking to unload this contract on some other team and will find no takers. Crazy contract to give a 31 year old. He should have gotten no more than a 3 year extension.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »
Horrible contract. Great for him but he'll start breaking down in a few years because let's face it....as good as he is..he doesn't keep himself in the best of shape. He'll switch to DH in two years or so.

By year 4 of this deal the Tigers will be looking to unload this contract on some other team and will find no takers. Crazy contract to give a 31 year old. He should have gotten no more than a 3 year extension.

Yup. 30+ million dollar DH. Unreal!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
I agree in principle guts, but I would think 6/180 would be more reasonable.   Only a three year extension for the best/second best hitter in the game is never going to happen.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
I agree in principle guts, but I would think 6/180 would be more reasonable.   Only a three year extension for the best/second best hitter in the game is never going to happen.

I was under the impression he was had a couple of year left on his current deal. Even so, that's a lot of $$$ to give a future DH.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »
I was under the impression he was had a couple of year left on his current deal. Even so, that's a lot of $$$ to give a future DH.

Of course, but someone else would so they'd need at least that much to retain.
Y

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »
It would take a Billy Beane type of move to unload Cabrera for a littany of draft picks and ringers-in-waiting. You could build a future contender club for the next 5 years with what Cabrera could bring you in new talent.

And if the move even remotely smelled like it would go south, management would be out on its hind quarters.

It's the safe move for someone's job to throw the money at him and lock him down. What fan would say it was a bad move to lock down a two-time MVP and triple crown winner?

Of course, I like to think I would have dumped him for future talent and considerations. I wonder if I would have had the nuts to do it....

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »
It would take a Billy Beane type of move to unload Cabrera for a littany of draft picks and ringers-in-waiting. You could build a future contender club for the next 5 years with what Cabrera could bring you in new talent.

And if the move even remotely smelled like it would go south, management would be out on its hind quarters.

It's the safe move for someone's job to throw the money at him and lock him down. What fan would say it was a bad move to lock down a two-time MVP and triple crown winner?

Of course, I like to think I would have dumped him for future talent and considerations. I wonder if I would have had the nuts to do it....

Taking in the context that the Tigers are in "win now" mode and Scherzer's a potential walker, you'd probably keep him.
Y

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
ANaheim broke the bank for Pujols who claims he was 32, but the fucker is probably in his late 30's and lied about his age.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »
He will.

Im a little partial though.

Im at angels stadium a couple times a month.

The hype as in he's going to keep getting better? I doubt it. The reason I don't see trout getting any better is because he's already a very big guy. The only time a good hitter turns into a great hitter later in his career is when he's a wiry lankey guy.  Griffey, bonds, mgwire....You don't get a better eye or faster as you get older the only real dimension you can add to your game is power and at 240 pounds already I dont see mike being a great power hitter consistantly for 10 years to come
l

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »
The hype as in he's going to keep getting better? I doubt it. The reason I don't see trout getting any better is because he's already a very big guy. The only time a good hitter turns into a great hitter later in his career is when he's a wiry lankey guy. Mike is 240 pounds.

He already is a great hitter.  Probably overall best in baseball.  Statistical prime is around 27 right now, so he theoretically has upside, as experience grows and the body can still fire on all cylinders.

The only reason for him not really improving is that he plays at such a high level now.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
He already is a great hitter.  Probably overall best in baseball.  Statistical prime is around 27 right now, so he theoretically has upside, as experience grows and the body can still fire on all cylinders.

The only reason for him not really improving is that he plays at such a high level now.

Do you mean in baseball or in general? I think prime age depends on the sport.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
Do you mean in baseball or in general? I think prime age depends on the sport.

Baseball.

Although I believe it will creep up as advancement in nutrition and training and drugs continue.....

The essay is most frequently referenced as a successful challenge the conventional wisdom that baseball players peak between 28 and 32, with James bluntly stating, "that one truism is blatantly false." James used his "Value Approximation Method" (VAM) to measure player performance by aggregating individual VAM ratings of players by age. He found that the player-age of 27 had the highest total performance of any other age and concluded, "If you must assign a five-year peak period to all players regardless of description, the best shot would be 25 to 29."
Y

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
Only time will tell. Personally I don't really follow baseball anymore, the game has gotten boring now that everyone is slower and weaker. Might as well watch the grass grow.
l

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
Baseball.

Although I believe it will creep up as advancement in nutrition and training and drugs continue.....

My opinion, I think it's slightly older at 28 or 29. But I also think that it's subjective depending on baseball position. But what do I know?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »
My opinion, I think it's slightly older at 28 or 29. But I also think that it's subjective depending on baseball position. But what do I know?

That's fine, but it's hard to argue with a guy whose measured about every inning ever played by every player.
Y