Author Topic: meat  (Read 1062 times)

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
meat
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
If you over cook metal (chicken,fish,turkey,chicken,beef) does the meat lose any of its protein value or  absorption.?

Thanks for any help. ??? ???
mish1234
so hot

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: meat
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:48:53 PM »
you lose some vitamins and enzymes. you also lose a little bit of its "potency"... which is to say..it somewhat effects the utlization... not really significantly though...   

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
How over cooked are you talking? I would say if you burned it to a crisp it'll pretty much be worthless nutritionally.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 03:44:24 AM »
I've always wondered this too - I like my steak well done and I was wondering if some of the nutritional value is bascally nuked out of it by having it so cooked.  ???

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 03:55:32 AM »
I read a thread similar to this on bb'ing.com. Layne Norton swears that cooking meat or microwaving meat or even adding hot water to protein powder DOES NOT affect protein value or anything.
No doubt about it...

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 07:46:57 AM »
How over cooked are you talking? I would say if you burned it to a crisp it'll pretty much be worthless nutritionally.

well i was thinking more of over boiling chicken.
mish1234
so hot

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »

Boil it all you want, just eat the broth too (no, not the scummy foam or the fat on the surface).

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:39:42 AM »

You should be fine. However, like Tapeworm said use the broth (i.e. cooking with it - soups & such).

dustin

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:10:13 AM »
I think that boiling chicken too much should be on the very bottom on your list of concerns. I'm always much more concerned about roasting my food too much on the grill. I usually pan fry my steaks these days though. Or I'll just sear the surface of it and toss it in the oven.

Unless you cook the shit out of your chicken you should have no concerns about losing any nutrients at all. I put my chicken breasts in a skillet with a tiny bit of oil and lots of water. I also toss some soy sauce on it when its almost done. I've heard Dave Palumbo talking about that too. I know what my health's like and don't have to be too concerned about sodium, especially considering how clean my diet is. But if you're concerned about sodium or dieting down for a comp, I'd skip the soy sauce unless you use a modest amount.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 06:33:13 AM »
Flame grilling your meat for most of your intake is a bad choice these days with all the evidence coming out regarding the increased risk of cancer produced using that method. http://cancer.about.com/od/foodguide/a/grillingmeat.htm
One method that seems to work for me is buying the broth injected chicken, the broth tends to leech out when I cook it on medium heat and keeps anything from burning or overcooking. Chicken also still cooks after it's off the heat so you can always pull it off as soon as it's at the proper internal temp and avoid overcooking it.
i guess this if off the topic but oh well
$