Author Topic: Question about intensity  (Read 4237 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Question about intensity
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:31:34 PM »
Was gonna put this on the training board but nobody goes there so here it is

My question is how important is intensity in building mass and getting in shape?  As we know bodybuilding is ALL DRUGS, but I have observed that the people in the gym with the best builds use the most intensity usually. So is it the intensity that is making these naturals look good, or all they all just on roids and train intensely because they are feeling nice and jacked?

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: Question about intensity
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »
I prefer high intensity, but many do well off low intensity, higher volume. It was very popular in the 70's, Serge Nubret a prime example. Depends what works best for you...
?

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
Training volume as a natural is a complete waste of time for building any significant mass. Before long you will have to reduce the volume and  frequency to see any major improvement.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:15:51 PM »
I have always found the key is slow steady progression, i.e. every time you repeat a workout try to do an extra rep, when you get to a certain number of reps, up the weight by the smallest increment the next time and reset the reps, repeat.  I'm more impressed by the guy who's benching 135, then 140, then 145, etc. than with the guy who comes in and benches 225 year after year after year.

If this plan requires you to grunt and scream and piss yourself then that's what you have to do I guess.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
Training as a natural is a complete waste of time for building any significant mass.

quoted for truth

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »
Training volume as a natural is a complete waste of time for building any significant mass. Before long you will have to reduce the volume and  frequency to see any major improvement.

Iv'e trained bothy ways. gassed up you can train like a fucking animal 6 days a week and grow, and i do higher reps and a lot more volume.

Natty i go 6-8 reps less sets, less days at the gym and more weight..only way to retain anything

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »
I'm natural for life 37 years old about 215 bodywieight and can do 315 x 10 on TJE flat and 315 for about 7 no spot on TJE incline no spot.  Strong on the other lifts. Too.  max is about 495 squat.   Never went too much higher to avoid injuries.

Would say intensity, more than anything is important.  Put on something crazy like slayer , kreator, lamb of god, etc and just go balls to. The wall. 

going bezerk and attacking the lifts like a bat out of hell is more important than rep schemes, etc. 

Just my .02. 

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
I'm natural for life 37 years old about 215 bodywieight and can do 315 x 10 on TJE flat and 315 for about 7 no spot on TJE incline no spot.  Strong on the other lifts. Too.  max is about 495 squat.   Never went too much higher to avoid injuries.

Would say intensity, more than anything is important.  Put on something crazy like slayer , kreator, lamb of god, etc and just go balls to. The wall. 

going bezerk and attacking the lifts like a bat out of hell is more important than rep schemes, etc. 

Just my .02. 

I agree, but with a caveat...I never go so heavy that I'm just moving the weight from point A to point B, i always make sure I'm feeling it

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »

Just my .02. 
Decent lifts for a natty. WTH is TJE?
T

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21:07 AM »

I've mostly focused on power for better or worse.  Threw shot put, hammer in college, always focused on basics.   Also I'm very compact body wise though. 

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:44:34 AM »

X2... What's it stand for? Google only brings up misspellings of 'teh'

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 03:46:30 AM »
X2... What's it stand for? Google only brings up misspellings of 'teh'

iPad auto spell is a bitch. 

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 03:53:14 AM »
intense

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »

My question is how important is intensity in building mass and getting in shape?  As we know bodybuilding is ALL DRUGS, but I have observed that the people in the gym with the best builds use the most intensity usually. So is it the intensity that is making these naturals look good, or all they all just on roids and train intensely because they are feeling nice and jacked?
^^
After MANY years, it really IMHO boils down to is BOTH systems are good, IF you can FEEL it the next day... You still need to change exercises once every while when that FEELING stops happening, and TRY to progressively handle heavier weights in each exercise.  Yes, 'roids are important.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
to me it's more about controlled effort than dickbrain intensity like a Branch Warren

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
One HUGE advantage to training less intense is the decreased risk of sustaining injuries. Going balls to the wall can be fun sometimes but it's not so fun when you have multiple herniated discs,rotator cuff issues or perhaps even a torn muscle. I just don't see how it can be worth it unless your career depends on you going all out.
from incomplete data

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
For me old training habits die hard. I've always trained hard, all year round. I never take it easy on myself since I believe it'll be a wasted workout. The way I see it if I'm going to make the effort going to the gym, I may as well train hard, otherwise it's wasted time. The only concessions I'd make it to reduce volume a bit on occasion. I'd also increase rest time between sets but usually I'll only allow myself a minute.

I'm blasting a cycle I run myself into the ground 5 days a week. Between cycles, it's intense, medium volume and long periods of rest between workout days. 

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
One HUGE advantage to training less intense is the decreased risk of sustaining injuries. Going balls to the wall can be fun sometimes but it's not so fun when you have multiple herniated discs,rotator cuff issues or perhaps even a torn muscle. I just don't see how it can be worth it unless your career depends on you going all out.

this is why many low rep warm up sets are very important to avoid injury.

?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »
I think if you're young and you are not trying to get stronger and lifting heavy weights you are in the wrong sport. If you have been lifting for many years I see a new goal of volume and pushing the endurance is the way to go.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
intense

Would rep out in that - high intensity only!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 12:34:30 AM »
How about full body routines?

io856

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 12:48:52 AM »
"intensity" as an emotional state or it's relevance to strength training as %1RM?

My question is how important is intensity in building mass and getting in shape?  As we know bodybuilding is ALL DRUGS, but I have observed that the people in the gym with the best builds use the most intensity usually. So is it the intensity that is making these naturals look good, or all they all just on roids and train intensely because they are feeling nice and jacked?
They are usually the more passionate... Not always though...

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »
guys who look good usually go into the gym and break thier asses for 45 minutes to an hour and do some cardio and call it a day, genetics play a huge part also on how you respond to training and how fast you will develop, some guys train like animals and have little to show for it while others train half ass and look awesome, its unfair but its true
R

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
I would say consistency and tiny increments matter more than intensity.

I do not train that intensely but i train quite smart, stay shy of failure and plan workouts.