Author Topic: Dealing with depression  (Read 38469 times)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
Re: Dealing with depression
« Reply #325 on: November 27, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
I think depression is connected to diet,  you can change pretty much everything with what your eating and not eating

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #326 on: November 27, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
There is no snapping out of chronic depression. Or any other so called "disease" of the brain...Just like a person can't snap out of cancer or liver disease or heart disease. If a person has been dealing with depression for an extended period of time, it's not like you will wake up one day and it will be gone.
Yeah, environment (what people say think and do) shapes your biology, the biology of your brain, it transforms it physically. Your brain can change the world but the world changes your brain too. I'm only alive because of my house, land I own, wife , kid, cause i'm good looking, in shape and get my loved ones to do the same,  and because of hopes I will sublimate myself thru various activities I m good at and enjoy developing. That's my daily natural anti depressant that's how I feel like I'm "winning at life" even if i lost my fair share of times and even if I know i have many more challenges that i maybe wont be able to overcome ahead of me.

But I'm also realistic about everything else i failed and that are definitively behind me. I focus on what i still can do with the best i still have. But it took time to fully realize the extent of what was damaged, worthless, and what can still be productive.  Last week I went to the doc for my knee that was hurting for a while; he told me (while laughing , seriously ) I had precocious osteoarthritis/ generative joint disease. Just like my..mother. And my father started having knees problems in his 30s. I realized i d be better working behind a desk for the rest of my life cause my skelleton is genetically programmed to be weaker and wear sooner than people who dont have that condition. Man 2013 is quite the shitiest year of my life lmao.

Anyway, Im glad i was always smart enough to not overdo it with weight lifting and sports, or i could have damaged my skeleton structure even more sooner. Actually moderate and regular weight lifting with average weights is good for people with osteoarthitis as it develops muscles which in return compensate for the weakened skeleton. Looks like i ve been doing something right at least.

Now obviously i intend to capitalize on my brains instead of my body to insure my and my loved ones survival.

I canceled the apointment i had with that doctor for the surgery -they have to remove a meniscus bone that s loose in my knee- cause i thought he was an asshole. Dude is probably a millionaire, despise most of his "clients", treat them like shit, as meat, so i thought what if this guy wants to make my life even more miserable, my health is in his hands... i went online and looked at coments by other patients on him, and dude was literaly despised in 9 comments out of ten. But because there are not many of them they can do what they want they know they re so in demand.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #327 on: November 27, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
I think depression is connected to diet,  you can change pretty much everything with what your eating and not eating
its just that eating a lot and especially sugar acts as a natural anti depressant, nothing more. Problem is that it also destroys your body at some point... No the right middle balance ground is to stay lean eat not too much most of the time and deal with life the "tough" way accepting it like it is instead of attempting to constantly lure yourself about its true nature.

breakmore

• Getbig III
« Reply #328 on: November 27, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »
well obviously it's genetical, you re genetically programmed to be depressed and less resistant to psychological warfare than others. So you need a calmer, quieter, slower lifestyle, a slow pace to not overload your nerves which are weaker , less "muscled" than other people who didnt have their genes corrupted by their parents drug abuse or their mental stability hurt by their past physical or psychological blows; you need to control your relationships more as you re prone to being backstabed by stronger minded people who see you as a toy so you better stick with weaker or similarly minded people isntead. Your life sucks? it could be even worse, that's what most people tell themselves to keep playing the game.
 The problem is that people who come from shity families and have shity genes and predispositions to be depressed are often the ones who have the shittiest education, have to work the shitiest jobs and live around the shitiest people. They re also the ones who have not much money to pay for stuff -drugs, leisures- that would lighten their depressive state and global daily suffering. It's a vicious circle.
The only positive, constructive escape is always the same; sublimation thru work / creative activity.

Now we all know kids from rich families can be badly mistreated genetically, physically, psychologically too, even if they have the money, but the money allow them to last longer; still they can feel as shity as poor people who werent loved either.

I hope that you re not into steroids and practice natural , physical conditioning...cause being extreme about lifting weights and doing drugs has nothing to do with doing something that is really "saving your life"...
We all have phases in our existences where things rebound, and downs. It can happen again even if you re in high times. So only the smartest, strongest, fittest calculate how to always be constantly in the high times, money helps. And yeah at some point you have to find a woman have kids and keep doing the good , healthy stuff you ve been doing . We re animals, "successful" animals dominate and replicate and control the whole thing the best they can with what they have.
There is nothing else to do anyway.
well obviously it's genetical, you re genetically programmed to be depressed and less resistant to psychological warfare than others. So you need a calmer, quieter, slower lifestyle, a slow pace to not overload your nerves which are weaker , less "muscled" than other people who didnt have their genes corrupted by their parents drug abuse or their mental stability hurt by their past physical or psychological blows; you need to control your relationships more as you re prone to being backstabed by stronger minded people who see you as a toy so you better stick with weaker or similarly minded people isntead. Your life sucks? it could be even worse, that's what most people tell themselves to keep playing the game.
 The problem is that people who come from shity families and have shity genes and predispositions to be depressed are often the ones who have the shittiest education, have to work the shitiest jobs and live around the shitiest people. They re also the ones who have not much money to pay for stuff -drugs, leisures- that would lighten their depressive state and global daily suffering. It's a vicious circle.
The only positive, constructive escape is always the same; sublimation thru work / creative activity.

Now we all know kids from rich families can be badly mistreated genetically, physically, psychologically too, even if they have the money, but the money allow them to last longer; still they can feel as shity as poor people who werent loved either.

I hope that you re not into steroids and practice natural , physical conditioning...cause being extreme about lifting weights and doing drugs has nothing to do with doing something that is really "saving your life"...
We all have phases in our existences where things rebound, and downs. It can happen again even if you re in high times. So only the smartest, strongest, fittest calculate how to always be constantly in the high times, money helps. And yeah at some point you have to find a woman have kids and keep doing the good , healthy stuff you ve been doing . We re animals, "successful" animals dominate and replicate and control the whole thing the best they can with what they have.

I have used steroids yes, and i will use them again when i feel the time is there. I would say body-building definitely saved my life, seeing as naturally training to accomplish goals and do a cycle here and there is much better then snorting speed and using various other drugs every day. (That what my life would've stayed if i didn't find bodybuilding/training.)

And funny, a year back i read your posts and you were all Christian and religious morals etc and and now you are pulling life back to its true darwinian principles haha. I know deep down we are still that, we are here to survive and everything we do be it concious or not still falls back to these rudimentary behaviours.

I would say i am an fairly intelligent person, maybe with a weaker mindset that makes me prone to depression, i don't know.  It's just weird to me that this all came out of nowhere.

I need to find my high times again man, but it's pretty hard to feel happy when you really have no sleep. And thinking about how other people have it worse really doesn't "do it for me".

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #329 on: November 27, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
I have used steroids yes, and i will use them again when i feel the time is there. I would say body-building definitely saved my life, seeing as naturally training to accomplish goals and do a cycle here and there is much better then snorting speed and using various other drugs every day. (That what my life would've stayed if i didn't find bodybuilding/training.)

And funny, a year back i read your posts and you were all Christian and religious morals etc and and now you are pulling life back to its true darwinian principles haha. I know deep down we are still that, we are here to survive and everything we do be it concious or not still falls back to these rudimentary behaviours.

I would say i am an fairly intelligent person, maybe with a weaker mindset that makes me prone to depression, i don't know.  It's just weird to me that this all came out of nowhere.

I need to find my high times again man, but it's pretty hard to feel happy when you really have no sleep. And thinking about how other people have it worse really doesn't "do it for me".

I survive mixing both religious principles and scientifical facts and...THEORIES. The idea of God makes sense to me, scientifically speaking, and the use of what science discovered needs to be oriented with spirituality to create and defend life, both go hand in hand that's what I'm understanding as life goes.

Your steroid use is a mistake. You saved your life doing a mistake, it happen more often than not. Sooner or later you ll realize it. You better keep "saving your life" daily doing it the hard but genuine way. If you re destroying your body or hurting others "saving your life", you re not really saving your life or other's lives, sorry.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #330 on: November 27, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »
Does it make me have more compassion for others?
NO. I still dont give a fuck about them mostly, and it s all about me me me. And I now know we re all the same, saying we care about others is always lying, we only care about them if our own quality of life, odds of survival, are linked to their survival.

What about the soldier that voluntarily jumps on a grenade and gives his life to save his buddies?  

What about the mother who spends her life and finances caring for her mentally retarded son who adds nothing to, but instead takes from, her quality of life, her survival, her finances, etc.?

People can change for the better, and truly care for others more than they care for themselves.

I dont believe in searching for hapinness anymore... hapinness happen when you have a stable reassuring predictable life routine that allow you to feel pleasures one after another; many pleasures constantly = being in a state of hapiness. How to have pleassure in life, often enough to call it a happy life? by finding many of them and avoiding problems the best you can. You also have to make sure you wont abuse these pleasures and make a smart use of them, and vary them. That's probably the only realistic thing we can do.

It has been said that "our pleasures make us miserable."  That is true if we are able to give ourselves, and we don't deny ourselves all the pleasures in the world(eat all we want, sleep all we want, have all the sex we want, drink as much as we want, buy all the things we want, etc.  World pleasures do not equal happiness, and if not kept in check, world pleasures can actually bring us and our loved ones unhappiness.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: November 27, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »

It has been said that "our pleasures make us miserable."  That is true if we are able to give ourselves, and we don't deny ourselves all the pleasures in the world(eat all we want, sleep all we want, have all the sex we want, drink as much as we want, buy all the things we want, etc.  World pleasures do not equal happiness, and if not kept in check, world pleasures can actually bring us and our loved ones unhappiness.
abusing pleasures makes us miserable. Managing many various pleasures intelligently  without abusing them is probably the closest of reaching the genuinest hapiness.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #332 on: November 27, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »
What about the soldier that voluntarily jumps on a grenade and gives his life to save his buddies?  

Heroes are often suicidal people who flee dead ends in their lives and who want to die but dont know how, who hesitate between killing themselves or killing others or , killing themselves for others to finally put an end to their psychological suffering.

What about the mother who spends her life and finances caring for her mentally retarded son who adds nothing to, but instead takes from, her quality of life, her survival, her finances, etc.?

If her kid is mentally retarded it's probably because of her (99.9% of problematic childs have had mothers or fathers doing bad stuff, alcohol drug other nasty stuff etc during pregnancy and that effect the development of the fetus) in the first place. Then she sees the kid as a pet/meal ticket and simultaneously a way to get pity/attention from others. Not all cases, but in many cases these are the real underlying mechanisms at work.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #333 on: November 27, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »
Quote from: loco on Today at 05:43:41

Heroes are often suicidal people who flee dead ends in their lives and who want to die but dont know how, who hesitate between killing themselves or killing others or , killing themselves for others to finally put an end to their psychological suffering.

So true, Sigmund Freud talked about the "Death Wish" or "Death Drive", fascinating concept and something more people suffer from than is acknowledged.
V

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #334 on: November 27, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »

If her kid is mentally retarded it's probably because of her (99.9% of problematic childs have had mothers or fathers doing bad stuff, alcohol drug other nasty stuff etc during pregnancy and that effect the development of the fetus) in the first place. Then she sees the kid as a pet/meal ticket and simultaneously a way to get pity/attention from others. Not all cases, but in many cases these are the real underlying mechanisms at work.

Not all heroes are like that, and not all moms of mentally retarded kids are like that.  Obviously, I was asking about the hero who is not suicidal, and about the mother is not selfish.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
Not all heroes are like that, and not all moms of mentally retarded kids are like that.  Obviously, I was asking about the hero who is not suicidal, and about the mother is not selfish.
You are mistaking suicidal with a death wish.  Those with a death wish don't necessarily wish to kill themselves, but they aren't afraid to put their lives in jeopardy.  These people hold an unconscious desire to die, but that this wish is largely tempered by the life instincts.  Self-destructive behavior is an expression of the energy created by the death instincts.  I hate to break it to you and shatter you childhood superman fantasies, but there are no heroes.
V

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #336 on: November 27, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
You are mistaking suicidal with a death wish.  Those with a death wish don't necessarily wish to kill themselves, but they aren't afraid to put their lives in jeopardy.  These people hold an unconscious desire to die, but that this wish is largely tempered by the life instincts.  Self-destructive behavior is an expression of the energy created by the death instincts.  I hate to break it to you and shatter you childhood superman fantasies, but there are no heroes.
they are heroes who indeed sacrify themselves for others, it's a fact. Now the deep reasons why they really do it -while others will try to save their ass fleeing hiding or getting cover- are most of the time not understood by most people who didnt live long enough to understand the complex intricate ways of the human, animal mind.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #337 on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »

they are heroes who indeed sacrify themselves for others, it's a fact. Now the deep reasons why they really do it -while others will try to save their ass fleeing hiding or getting cover- are most of the time not understood by most people who didnt live long enough to understand the complex intricate ways of the human, animal mind.

I agree that human beings are by nature selfish and not heroes.  But I disagree that all humans care only about themselves.  Plenty of human beings change, grow, and/or are transformed into people who genuinely care for others more than they care about themselves. 

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #338 on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
its just that eating a lot and especially sugar acts as a natural anti depressant, nothing more. Problem is that it also destroys your body at some point... No the right middle balance ground is to stay lean eat not too much most of the time and deal with life the "tough" way accepting it like it is instead of attempting to constantly lure yourself about its true nature.

There's definitely a correlation between blood sugar regulation and depression. Not sure which one is the cause or the effect. Serotonin specifically affects your blood sugar. Diet and exercise is definitely the first step.
®

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
Plenty of human beings change, grow, and/or are transformed into people who genuinely care for others more than they care about themselves.  
Yeah, it's called co-dependency, it's potentially a a psychological disorder.  It involves placing a lower priority on one's own needs, while being excessively preoccupied with the needs of others.

Unresolved patterns of codependency can lead to more serious problems like alcoholism, drug addiction, eating disorders, sex addiction, and other self-destructive or self-defeating behaviors. People with codependency are also more likely to attract further abuse from aggressive individuals, more likely to stay in stressful jobs or relationships, less likely to seek medical attention when needed and are also less likely to get promotions and tend to earn less money than those without codependency patterns.
V

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »

not sure if thats accurate. there are many well known geniuses who were massively depressed and went insane, being intelligent only makes you more susceptible to depression imo. 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »

yeah. whenever someone talks about depression on the internet there's always the loads of fuckwaffles who are all "WHAT'S SO TERRIBLE ABOUT YOUR LIFE HUH WHY DON'T YOU GO LIVE IN DAMASCUS OR RWANDA AND SEE WHAT A BAD LIFE IS REALLY LIKE" but that's not how depression works. it's more like your brain just turns on you.

Yes, these people have no idea.

Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron described it very well IMO. But just reading about it will not make you understand it.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #342 on: November 27, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »

Excellent post right here.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #343 on: November 27, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
Yes, these people have no idea.

Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron described it very well IMO. But just reading about it will not make you understand it.

yep. you have to feel it. there's no way to explain it.

someone once said this to me: being depressed/suicidal doesn't mean you think life is terrible, it means you think you are terrible and don't deserve life. that's why whenever someone is incredibly depressed, the WORST thing to do is berate them about their life isn't so bad and to try to convince them that other people have it worse. if anything, that just exacerbates the problem by reinforcing the "ugh i'm such a piece of shit" mentality.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #344 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »
Just like every other organ in the body the brain has its problems - relative situation has nothing to do with it. No one would tell you to just get over heart disease or a liver condition.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #345 on: November 30, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #346 on: November 30, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
Just like every other organ in the body the brain has its problems - relative situation has nothing to do with it. No one would tell you to just get over heart disease or a liver condition.

Deep focus. 

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #348 on: November 30, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »