Author Topic: ACDF Surgery  (Read 1484 times)

spiro

• Getbig IV
ACDF Surgery
« on: December 19, 2016, 05:24:30 PM »
Anyone go through this? In 32 I have 3 herniated disks c5 c6 c7 college football lifting wear and tear. Doctor is trying epidural first then some weeks with a physio. I've never been in so much pain in my life. My elbow scapula shoulder hand all on the right side hurts like hell. I can't sleep. I've had problems for a few years but it's never gotten to this point last few weeks have been tough.

The surgery seems to work for a lot of people. I'm young 32 and healthy. I just can't imagine suffering like this too much longer.

johnthegreat687

Re: ACDF Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »
thats young for back surgery. Once a back is operated on its never the same. Shitty luck

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 05:29:28 PM »
thats young for back surgery. Once a back is operated on its never the same. Shitty luck

I've read cervical surgery is actually easier then lumbar surgery to recover from.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:09:07 PM »
Is disc replacement an option?

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 06:13:58 PM »
Is disc replacement an option?

I need to talk to the neuro surgeon bout that. He said he would use donor bones and do fusion.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 06:41:14 PM »
I had the same type of injury in 2005/06 from doing heavy squats 20 years prior.

Lower back pain is manageable, but neck/C5, C6, C7 pain is the worse pain ever.  Sleeping was almost impossible.  Ibuprofen and time was the only thing that healed it.  Do not go to a chiropractor for this... they will only make it worse.  You are only 32 years old, it should heal on it's own, but it will take time.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 07:22:29 PM »
I need to talk to the neuro surgeon bout that. He said he would use donor bones and do fusion.

I had occasional neck pain for decades, but an inattentive driver messed me up last year, and now I get awful bouts of pain from just one herniated disc.  Two shots of kenalog early on reduced the pain and inflammation markedly, though.  Hard to imagine the pain from three bad discs.

lewishou

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »
How many levels is your surgeon recommending?  Each level is named by the bone above and below.  So C5-6 is one level and C6-7 would be another level. Anything more than 2 levels of fusion would start limiting your range of motion with flexion/extension noticeably. Down the road the neighboring levels can go bad.  Cervical arthroplasty (artificial disc) would be ideal to preserve motion, but not everyone is a candidate.  Believe it or not, you are actually getting quite good opinions from all the posts before: Once you have surgery it is never the same. Some disc herniations do heal over time. Recovery from ACDF is quick.  If the pain really is refractory to injections or if you are developing weakness, then surgery can be quite effective.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »
Anyone go through this? In 32 I have 3 herniated disks c5 c6 c7 college football lifting wear and tear. Doctor is trying epidural first then some weeks with a physio. I've never been in so much pain in my life. My elbow scapula shoulder hand all on the right side hurts like hell. I can't sleep. I've had problems for a few years but it's never gotten to this point last few weeks have been tough.

The surgery seems to work for a lot of people. I'm young 32 and healthy. I just can't imagine suffering like this too much longer.

I have been battling this since 2011. It started with the pain and losing strength in my left arm. Div 1college football WR and then a 30mph downhill mountain bike crash in 02. I have the exact same pain a pattern and because I fractured c6 (they missed it in 02) I have a bone spur near my spinal cord. I've had four epidurals; two from the front and two from the rear over the years. My index finger and thumb on my left hand are still numb.

When it flares the pain is insane and its impossible to sleep well because that makes it worse. It takes awhile but it does calm down and you need to alternate ice and heat on your neck. Pain meds are a must along with anti inflammatory meds. I'm in my 50's and know time is not on my side.

I specifically work every cervical spinal support muscle and that has helped me immensely and bought time. Dr also said nerves have taken over for the c6 nerve and he has never seen that.  Give it time.

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »
Hemi iron bro. Eat taro root and mayonnaise

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »
I'm going to try and beat this if it doesn't get better in 6-8 months I might consider surgery. I've learned a few good excercise stretches. My wife helps me out a lot with a pure wave massager. Does swimming help?

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 09:52:57 PM »
I'm going to try and beat this if it doesn't get better in 6-8 months I might consider surgery. I've learned a few good excercise stretches. My wife helps me out a lot with a pure wave massager. Does swimming help?

Left you a long message with exercises that can help build those inner, spine protecting back muscles. All the neck movement swimming will not help you during a flare up like your having. Those disks are leaning on nerves and thats what's causing the pain down your arm, scapula etc. If your not feeling it in fingers that's a good sign.

C4-C5 (C5 nerve root): A herniation at this level can cause shoulder pain and weakness in the deltoid muscle at the top of the upper arm, and does not usually cause numbness or tingling.
C5-C6 (C6 nerve root): A C5-C6 disc herniation can cause weakness in the biceps (muscles in the front of the upper arms) and wrist extensor muscles. Numbness and tingling along with pain can radiate to the thumb side of the hand. This is one of the most common levels for a cervical disc herniation to occur.
See All About the C5-C6 Spinal Segment
C6-C7 (C7 nerve root): A herniated disc in this area can cause weakness in the triceps (muscles in the back of the upper arm and extending to the forearm) and the finger extensor muscles. Numbness and tingling along with pain can radiate down the triceps and into the middle finger. This level is also one of the most common areas for a cervical disc herniation.

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 10:27:17 PM »

I did the exact same thing at 29. Get that epidural done right away. You need to calm that nerve down. The longer you wait the more you risk permenent injury

Do you have bone spurs in that area as well? Your right arm could experience permanent atrophy the longer you put it off   

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 03:36:32 AM »

I did these stretches last night unbelievable I feel better then I have in 6 weeks from one night of this and heavy ice!!

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 03:59:17 AM »
Epidural did nothing for me. Swimming helped.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 05:07:48 AM »
Had that surgery in 2011. It's not too bad and you will be back in the gym pretty quick. I understand the apprehension toward surgery, but you can cause long term damage by putting it off. I put mine off for too long and ended up with a permanently bruised spinal cord witch gave me an intermittent limp on my right leg.