Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 426494 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #2325 on: April 15, 2024, 05:46:34 PM »
I find keeping a training log very tiring & as i wrote before i train more "freestyle" nowadays. I might radically change my mind what exercise i will do because at that moment it doesnīt feel good.
Donīt feel you have to post your workouts but rather just post up the positive ones.

I plot out my workouts in my head and sometimes on paper. You're right though. Many times it's better to freestyle. A workout plotted out can't account for how you feel that day or for any tweaks you have to work around. For some reason I do this especially with triceps but other body parts too. Sometimes for a squatting motion I use a squat machine but I often substitute Dumbbell squats, hacks or free squats. For triceps I switch out so many exercises. Not a quote but Dave Draper but he  said in effect that he can't stay too structured in a workout cause he likes to be able to change things on the fly.

Today I dropped my short lived whole body routine due to a leg and hip bugging me. I took a 25MG of meloxicam and it worked pretty good. I was on 7.5mg and it helped but 25mg worked much better. Can't pin point the pain but it felt like the hip joint and hurt from there all the way down to the knee. 

Thinking I have to be careful about grinding my joints to dust. I have been working out hard from my teens till now. It was high school and college track team. Competed in powerlifting in 1977.  I boxed, jui jitsu and very intensive training at two military bases. Did stuff like ride a bike 500 miles across Iowa in five days with some seriously competitive bike cycle enthusiasts that hammered the pace.  My body has taken a beating. As I mentioned before I use to talk to Bill Pearl through texts. He stressed that a smart man gives up the heavy weights as they age. I believe he said he stopped using heavy weights when he hit 55. 

Today I went back to my Yates inspired one set to failure. I trained chest and biceps  today and it took 45 minutes. Then I spent 45 minutes fast walking on a  the treadmill with an incline. The plan for the week is to complete a week of one set to failure then I might admit I'm not a kid anymore and train for muscular endurance with moderate weights. Five years from now when I'm 70 it would be nice to still be hitting the weights hard and running some miles health willing. I think in order to hit that goal I have to be wiser in what I do and drop the ego.  I have some health challenges but I'm monitored very closely.  So far I'm good.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2326 on: April 16, 2024, 02:30:04 AM »
As I mentioned before I use to talk to Bill Pearl through texts. He stressed that a smart man gives up the heavy weights as they age. I believe he said he stopped using heavy weights when he hit 55.

yes i spoke 3 times with Bill on the phone he was a great guy. At that time i was really just doing under grip supinated chins for Biceps & Bill said do you have a preacher bench & i got one for my Home Gym after the conversation.
works well with chinning the Bar

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2327 on: April 16, 2024, 03:37:15 AM »
As I mentioned before I use to talk to Bill Pearl through texts. He stressed that a smart man gives up the heavy weights as they age. I believe he said he stopped using heavy weights when he hit 55.

yes i spoke 3 times with Bill on the phone he was a great guy. At that time i was really just doing under grip supinated chins for Biceps & Bill said do you have a preacher bench & i got one for my Home Gym after the conversation.
works well with chinning the Bar

The scott can be really hard on the bicep.  I know a guy that ripped his bicep using one. I don't know how Larry Scott used one for decades with really heavy weight without a rupture? 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2328 on: April 16, 2024, 05:25:36 AM »
The scott can be really hard on the bicep.  I know a guy that ripped his bicep using one. I don't know how Larry Scott used one for decades with really heavy weight without a rupture?
He used a very wide grip too on his curls where as i normally used a much closer one. Sometimes i did it just leaning my arm on an incline bench, but regardless after the Curls you are pre-exhausted so lighter loads are used (if any on chins)...still the muscles are weaker because of this & i suppose in theory could be more open to a tear.
I found chins did it for me body straight & concentrating on the Biceps where as for back i would do Gironda style Sternum chins arching my back bar to sterum leaning back..much more range of motion that a standard pull up.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2329 on: April 16, 2024, 05:30:42 AM »
looks very awkward to me

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2330 on: April 16, 2024, 05:22:55 PM »
Leg day: 4-16-24 Tuesday.

I was cautious about lifting for legs today because my hip and leg hurting the past week. I've been on ridiculously strong anti-inflammatory drug and it's been working amazing. I woke up at 5:30AM and went into my basement. I started by waking myself up by walking fast for a quarter mile on the treadmill. For the first exercise the leg press I did a few warm up sets. My leg felt pretty good. Now to my one set to failure. I lightened the weight and made a point to do slow negatives to make up for the lighter weight. I got to 13 and it felt good.

Leg press 1x13
Machine squats 1 x 10 I could have gotten maybe two more reps but I felt I was playing with fire and wanted to play it safe. I think barbell squats might be permanently out for me. 
Stiff deads 1 x 8 (Lightened the load a little from 205lbs to 185lbs but did them stricter. Still trying not to reinjure my leg.)
Leg extensions 1 x 26
Seated leg curls 1 x 18

Hanging leg raise 1 x 27
Hip ups lying on my back 1 x 34

Leg press calf 1 x 26
Standing calf 1 x 21
Seated calf 1 x 20
tibalis 1 x 20

Neck four way 4 x 20 per side.

At work after lifting I spend most of the 8 hour day on my feet. Thought I would be limping but nope, felt great. The drug is working. I'm usually not into any prescriptions but my leg was hurting. Last time I had problems the Doc gave me 7.5 MG of meloxicam for for a foot injury.  When I  took it I felt amazing. Not only did the foot feel better but every stiffness in my body disappeared. I only used it for a few days. It's a drug that is used for arthritis a lot. My family suffers a lot from arthritis. My sister is practically crippled from it. Her hands are knurly and she has trouble walking. She is only 75.  I think my workout has kept my joints pretty good but I know I from x rays that I have it too but not to her extent. I found a bottle of 25mg of the drug that another doctor prescribed. Now 7.5mg worked but I was in a lot of hip and thigh pain so I took the heavy dose. Holy shit do I feel good.  I will probably take it for 3 more days.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2331 on: April 17, 2024, 03:50:49 AM »
Leg day: 4-16-24 Tuesday.

I was cautious about lifting for legs today because my hip and leg hurting the past week. I've been on ridiculously strong anti-inflammatory drug and it's been working amazing. I woke up at 5:30AM and went into my basement. I started by waking myself up by walking fast for a quarter mile on the treadmill. For the first exercise the leg press I did a few warm up sets. My leg felt pretty good. Now to my one set to failure. I lightened the weight and made a point to do slow negatives to make up for the lighter weight. I got to 13 and it felt good.

Leg press 1x13
Machine squats 1 x 10 I could have gotten maybe two more reps but I felt I was playing with fire and wanted to play it safe. I think barbell squats might be permanently out for me. 
Stiff deads 1 x 8 (Lightened the load a little from 205lbs to 185lbs but did them stricter. Still trying not to reinjure my leg.)
Leg extensions 1 x 26
Seated leg curls 1 x 18

Hanging leg raise 1 x 27
Hip ups lying on my back 1 x 34

Leg press calf 1 x 26
Standing calf 1 x 21
Seated calf 1 x 20
tibalis 1 x 20

Neck four way 4 x 20 per side.

At work after lifting I spend most of the 8 hour day on my feet. Thought I would be limping but nope, felt great. The drug is working. I'm usually not into any prescriptions but my leg was hurting. Last time I had problems the Doc gave me 7.5 MG of meloxicam for for a foot injury.  When I  took it I felt amazing. Not only did the foot feel better but every stiffness in my body disappeared. I only used it for a few days. It's a drug that is used for arthritis a lot. My family suffers a lot from arthritis. My sister is practically crippled from it. Her hands are knurly and she has trouble walking. She is only 75.  I think my workout has kept my joints pretty good but I know I from x rays that I have it too but not to her extent. I found a bottle of 25mg of the drug that another doctor prescribed. Now 7.5mg worked but I was in a lot of hip and thigh pain so I took the heavy dose. Holy shit do I feel good.  I will probably take it for 3 more days.

yes we are Old Farts now with some aches & pains, do you ever train in a commercial Gym?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2332 on: April 17, 2024, 05:46:32 AM »
yes we are Old Farts now with some aches & pains, do you ever train in a commercial Gym?

I was in a commercial gym when covid hit and they all shut down. Lucky I had my home gym so I never missed a workout.

I started to add to my home gym after that to have the equipment I loved at the commercial place. One was a four way neck machine and the other was a kick back machine. The kick back machine I got just isn't as good as the commercial one. I wish I bought the commercial one used. Probably could have gotten it for the same price of the home unit I got. The one I got is in the pictures as well as the commercial one I used. I don't even know the brand of the commercial one but it was the best leg machine I ever used. It was like a one leg squat standing up that had the bonus of posterior femur abduction. It kicked my ass.

I am self motivated. I think I'm in my home gym for good unless I'm on vacation or a friend invites me to their commercial gym.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2333 on: April 17, 2024, 06:14:39 AM »
I was in a commercial gym when covid hit and they all shut down. Lucky I had my home gym so I never missed a workout.

I started to add to my home gym after that to have the equipment I loved at the commercial place. One was a four way neck machine and the other was a kick back machine. The kick back machine I got just isn't as good as the commercial one. I wish I bought the commercial one used. Probably could have gotten it for the same price of the home unit I got. The one I got is in the pictures as well as the commercial one I used. I don't even know the brand of the commercial one but it was the best leg machine I ever used. It was like a one leg squat standing up that had the bonus of posterior femur abduction. It kicked my ass.

I am self motivated. I think I'm in my home gym for good unless I'm on vacation or a friend invites me to their commercial gym.
your post got me thinking about a simple exercise i do at home lying leg curls,
I for example point my toes away from my legs to work my calves somewhat & the opposite when concentrating on my Hammies & Buttocks.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2334 on: April 18, 2024, 09:12:44 AM »
Back day: 4/18/24 Thursday.

My leg and hip continue to heal but I'm wary of fucking it up again.  Still a broken record with the Yates one set to failure thing. For right now it suits my temperament and personality of hitting a set really hard then moving on. Used non taxing warms up sets when needed but for most sets I do no warm ups.

Medium grip pulldowns with a supinate M.A.G bar 1x12 (I don't use the lean back and heave I see everyone doing but I stay upright. I sometimes wonder which way is better? Leaning back and heaving makes it a sloppy row type exercise.  I know the lean back lets you use more weight)

Seated traditional lat rows with pulley using a V shaped handle 1 x 14

Dumbbell row with knee and hand on a bench 1 x 12

Narrow pulldown with s supinate M.A.G. bar 1 x 11

dead lift 1 x 6 ( I was dreading these because I was fearful of injuring my leg. I warmed up with 225lbs and it felt alright. Loaded the bar to 275lbs and I did six reps. Using that light weight and using a slow negative made it tough. Hopefully soon I can get back to using a real weight for this exercise. For me it's also tough to do this exercise if I put in too many miles running. It seems to take the strength out of my legs for pushing the ground for deads. I don't want to get too crazy heavy with the weight in this exercise at this stage in my life but I sure would like to get back to doing six reps with 315lbs again. Then again summer is for summer runs and the deads suffer.

Weighted back extensions 1 x 20 ( I hold a 25lbs behind my head and I use the harder horizontal hyper bench instead of the easy new 45 degree ones where there is zero resistance as you get near the top.

Ab wheel 1 x 27
Ab pulley crunches 1 x 50

Having a good training week so far. So far I got two cardio sessions in this week and hopefully Friday and Saturday I will get two more in. Tomorrow is delts and triceps. Good to end a weight training week on an easier day with something like delts and triceps.