Author Topic: Religion, where maybe is good enough  (Read 7672 times)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
Re: Religion, where maybe is good enough
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
Absolutely, I'll do my best so bear with me LOL!

The times I feel the presence of God occurs most often in moments of private prayer and worship.   Christians will sometimes refer to the "washing over of the Holy Spirit" LOL....I know that sounds strange.   The name of the Lord is powerful and when I call upon in it prayer or worship (at home, in my truck, even at work) I sometimes feel the Spirit of God envelop me or "wash over me".  I feel warmth all over, tingling on my skin, sometimes I feel the presence so strong it's as if I'm moving through denser air.  I feel love.  I feel peace.  I feel Jesus Christ.  Some folks have experienced sweet smells out of nowhere (I have not experienced that before).  I have felt fear flee almost instantly when I call on the name of the Lord and it is replaced by peace and warmth.  No drugs, no alcohol, no meds, no other stimuli.  Also it does not occur from inside me or radiate from within me.  It isn't an inside out experience, this occurs from the outside in.  Moments of private prayer and worship are those times where I connect with Lord.....I've literally felt the sensation as though I'm being embraced in moments of prayer.   I've even felt his presence while studying my bible or reading other theological materials.  I've felt his presence envelop me at church and when in discussions with family and friends.   I've even felt his presence while I post about him on Getbig.  It doesn't happen everyday, but I enjoy those precious moments when it does.   

And "NO" sex before marriage, right  ;D

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »
I hope you realise that the Bible is symbolic and not meant to be taken literally as a story ..

And the fact that most didn't like the way the first bible was written because "God" ruled with an iron fist so they had to re-write and soften the stories in a new testament...I can only imagine what the next testament will be as new churches pop up everywhere. I'm guessing in the next one, there will be a large section of homosexual activity being just fine and dandy.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 05:31:37 AM »
And the fact that most didn't like the way the first bible was written because "God" ruled with an iron fist so they had to re-write the stories in a new testament...I can only imagine what the next testament will be as new churches pop up everywhere. I'm guessing in the next one, there will be a large section of homosexual activity being just fine and dandy.

First I would look up the word testament.

Then I'd read this:

The OT does describe our origins (our genesis).  The origins tracked are those of Israel from Abraham to Isaac to Jacob/Israel and the original covenant established between God and his people whom he delieverd from Egyptian slavery.  Within the OT we repeatedly see the failure of the Israelites and how God works within their failures to repeatedly deliver them again and again.  We begin to understand in their failures that man is a slave to his sin and that freedom from that sin can only occur through God himself in the person of Jesus Christ.  We see prophetic OT book after prophetic OT book detailing the Messiah yet to come, who would fulfill God's law and establish a new covenant with Jew and Gentile alike.  We find the birth of Messiah in the incarnate Son of God in Jesus Christ and the development of his ministry, demise at the hands of the Sanhedrin and Roman gov't and his resurrection.  We see the establishment of the disciples missionary work and the annointing of Paul and his amazing missionary work among the Gentiles.  We experience the prophetic writings of John on Patmos describing (as best he was able to) the second coming of Christ.   We learn that Christ is fulfillment of prophetic OT scripture, that all things created in Genesis were created through him and that he is God yesterday, today and forever.

Then I'd just read the bible....it's a great read.

Then I'd look into the differences between the OT covenant and the NT covenant.

After that you might wanna check out Paul Copan's "Is God a Moral Monster".

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »

The times I feel the presence of God occurs most often in moments of private prayer and worship.   Christians will sometimes refer to the "washing over of the Holy Spirit" LOL....I know that sounds strange.   The name of the Lord is powerful and when I call upon in it prayer or worship (at home, in my truck, even at work) I sometimes feel the Spirit of God envelop me or "wash over me".  I feel warmth all over, tingling on my skin, sometimes I feel the presence so strong it's as if I'm moving through denser air.  I feel love.  I feel peace.  I feel Jesus Christ.  Some folks have experienced sweet smells out of nowhere (I have not experienced that before).  I have felt fear flee almost instantly when I call on the name of the Lord and it is replaced by peace and warmth.  No drugs, no alcohol, no meds, no other stimuli.  Also it does not occur from inside me or radiate from within me.  It isn't an inside out experience, this occurs from the outside in.  Moments of private prayer and worship are those times where I connect with Lord.....I've literally felt the sensation as though I'm being embraced in moments of prayer.   I've even felt his presence while studying my bible or reading other theological materials.  I've felt his presence envelop me at church and when in discussions with family and friends.   I've even felt his presence while I post about him on Getbig.  It doesn't happen everyday, but I enjoy those precious moments when it does.   
I couldnt describe it any better myself and this exactly the same thing i am experimenting. I d also say that when i experience intense suffering I feel like the Christ.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
I couldnt describe it any better myself and this exactly the same thing i am experimenting. I d also say that when i experience intense suffering I feel like the Christ.

It's funny, but as much as I enjoy the good moments of life it's always the struggle  and suffering that produces the best fruits.  I'm never more connected to my Lord and Savior than in the midst of real trials (real enough for my life anyways). 

Our faith will be subject to "deserts" in which the presence of God is just not there as much or at all.   Much like the Israelites in the wilderness/desert for 40 years or Christ in the wilderness/desert for 40 days....it's sometimes just about the trial itself and how we'll respond to God in that time. 

Why are we tested?  Everything is about us and what we lack or need to improve and God works within the confines of our lives and desires for us to choose to draw closer to him. 

It's easy to be faithful when everything is truckin along just fine.   It's something altogether different to rejoice and grow your faith within adversity.  It's always in the darkness when his light is contrasted the greatest.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 11:05:58 AM »
It's funny, but as much as I enjoy the good moments of life it's always the struggle  and suffering that produces the best fruits.  I'm never more connected to my Lord and Savior than in the midst of real trials (real enough for my life anyways).  

id say overcoming the struggle makes you feel good, stagnating in it or it worsening aint making anyone feeling good. You feel good when you know you dodged a bullet or when you win a physical or psychological fight; you know you re going to stay, be part of the future, while the competitor wont or will see his odds of being part of it diminished if  he doesnt improve himself the way you did by following the scripture.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
I now believe 100% today because of experiences I've had in my life.....that wasn't always the case.    I've repeatedly experienced the presence of God in my life. 

It's hard to put those experiences into words for others that have not.

Same here. No religious person 'maybe' believes. You've been misinformed.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »

How do you know?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »

You and me, we sometimes go at it about our faith LOL!!  Still, I lift you up in prayer (and others on this board) often.  I mean that sincerely too - not a shred of disrespect intended. 

I believe you to be a good man, an honest man and I respect your devotion to Islam......I just want you to be a Christian LOL!!!!   ;D

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »
well it comes from the book you read or verses you heard, so it comes from the outside. Even if it was written by men, but those men were told what to write from the outside, God, but God being in every single of us, it's also from the inside...Which means he is outside and inside, he is all...being the first and the last, everything being his creation... Maybe we re just an illusion, a brain cell in someone's head, and he wants the (good) cells to replicate and live as long as possible so he can live longer. Funny the similarities between brain cells see thru a microscope and the universe seen from a telescope.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »

You're not denying Man of Steel is having the experience, and he's not denying you're having the experience...

how do you guys explain this?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
Billy Graham's final message at 95 years of age!!  Sweet, sweet man of God.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
How do you know?

In those moments of prayer and worship the tangible spirit of God will manifest before me and around me and then my mind and body will react to his presence....best, simplest way I can explain it.   

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »
In those moments of prayer and worship the tangible spirit of God will manifest before me and around me and then my mind and body will react to his presence....best, simplest way I can explain it.   

You sense this in the objects or the space around you?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
You're not denying Man of Steel is having the experience, and he's not denying you're having the experience...

how do you guys explain this?

I mean no disrespect to ahmed or anyone else on this board, but I've experienced the risen Son of God and no longer have doubts about his reality and who he is.   

Scripture says God knows of no other Gods and that God is one.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »
I mean no disrespect to ahmed or anyone else on this board, but I've experienced the risen Son of God and no longer have doubts about his reality and who he is.   

Scripture says God knows of no other Gods and that God is one.

Then you would deny Ahmed is experiencing it, as he says?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »
Then you would deny Ahmed is experiencing it, as he says?

ahmed hasn't made similar claims as I have at least that I've seen.  Islam and Christianity, although they share some similarities, are quite different.   

I won't disparage him on these boards any longer....I'm guilty enough of that in recent past and regret things I've said.

Still, I know ahmed will defend his beliefs as I will mine.

There are "competing faiths" in this world that claim the miraculous and claim the divine, but Christ warned of demonic influence and demonic forces that will misguide others and produce the supernatural.   Those works are not of Christ and believers must guard against that influence and spread the gospel.  Scripture also indicates a great power that will rise that will persuade others away from Christ completely.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »
ahmed hasn't made similar claims as I have at least that I've seen.  Islam and Christianity, although they share some similarities, are quite different.    

I won't disparage him on these boards any longer....I'm guilty enough of that in recent past and regret things I've said.

Still, I know ahmed will defend his beliefs as I will mine.

There are "competing faiths" in this world that claim the miraculous and claim the divine, but Christ warned of demonic influence and demonic forces that will misguide others and produce the supernatural.   Those works are not of Christ and believers must guard against that influence and spread the gospel.  Scripture also indicates a great power that will rise that will persuade others away from Christ completely.

If Ahmed continues to insist that he is experiencing the presence of God, then you would say he is being guided by DEMONIC FORCES???

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
Is this really what you are saying Man of Steel??

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
How do explain the way he so easily afforded you the same claimed experience that you are denying him??

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
If Ahmed continues to insist that he is experiencing the presence of God, then you would say he is being guided by DEMONIC FORCES???

I would of Hindus and other faiths, but not Islam.   Reason being, there is no Trinity of God in Islam.  There is no Holy Spirit that indwells believers in Islam.  There is no Son of God in Jesus Christ in Islam.  There is no salvation through Christ in Islam.   

Now claims of the miraculous in Islam, yes I would relate it as such, but the fact of the matter is I don't see the claims being made.   I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying I haven't seen any.

In Islam there is only Allah and he is one and has no partners.  Allah is fully transcendant above his creation and does not lower himself and interact with his followers in that manner.  

This is a very generic explanation by the way and again I mean no disrespect to board Muslims.....simply explaining the differences.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
I would of Hindus and other faiths, but not Islam.   Reason being, there is no Trinity of God in Islam.  There is no Holy Spirit that indwells believers in Islam.  There is no Son of God in Jesus Christ in Islam.   

In Islam there is only Allah and he is one and has no partners.  Allah is fully transcendant above his creation and does not lower himself and interact with his followers in that manner. 

This is a very generic explanation by the way and again I mean no disrespect to board Muslims.....simply explaining the differences.

You would just deny he's having the experience then right?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »
You would just deny he's having the experience then right?

Since this is purely hypothetical and not based on the actual theology I would say yes, but the reality is ahmed outright denies these experiences I have professed yet claims none for himself.  

It's the miracle of the Quran itself that provides truth for the Muslim.

Your question is unfortunately flawed because it unknowingly force fits a concept into a faith system that doesn't allow for it from the start.  

I'm no expert on Islam and have only read about half the Quran and a few books about Islam so I invite Muslims to correct me.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
You sense this in the objects or the space around you?

Sorry, this post slipped by me.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the best description I can give is that the presence of the spirit of God is often so evident and tangible that the air around me feels almost denser or thicker.  It's as if moving through water, but still not like that LOL.

It's hard to put into words.