Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Religious Debates & Threads

The Exodus

<< < (28/29) > >>

OTHstrong:

--- Quote from: MCWAY on August 13, 2012, 10:37:20 AM ---But, that's under the assumption that only infants and toddlers were killed. Scripture says the firstborn, which isn't limited to children. Firstborn males (20 or older) were often leaders of their households, when their fathers died or were too old to run the family business or lead their clans.

Remember the scene in The Ten Commandments, when Pharoah Rameses is planning the strike on the Hebrews and the angel of death shows up. The general says that he's known battle for 30 years but has never known fear until this night. Rameses orders another soldier to muster the troops and prepare to attack Israel.

The mist surrounds this soldier and he drops. With his dying words, he pleads to Pharoah, "Let the Hebrews go, great one. Or we are all DEAD MEN!" The general holds this soldier as he dies. Rameses asks him, "Is this your son?"; the general sadly replies, "....my firstborn!"

It is then that Rameses remembers the words of Moses and rushes to his son's room to see his queen at the bedside of their dying boy.

--- End quote ---
Good post, now I feel like watching the movie  :)

BayGBM:

--- Quote from: MCWAY on August 13, 2012, 10:37:20 AM ---But, that's under the assumption that only infants and toddlers were killed. Scripture says the firstborn, which isn't limited to children. Firstborn males (20 or older) were often leaders of their households, when their fathers died or were too old to run the family business or lead their clans.

Remember the scene in The Ten Commandments, when Pharoah Rameses is planning the strike on the Hebrews and the angel of death shows up. The general says that he's known battle for 30 years but has never known fear until this night. Rameses orders another soldier to muster the troops and prepare to attack Israel.

The mist surrounds this soldier and he drops. With his dying words, he pleads to Pharoah, "Let the Hebrews go, great one. Or we are all DEAD MEN!" The general holds this soldier as he dies. Rameses asks him, "Is this your son?"; the general sadly replies, "....my firstborn!"

It is then that Rameses remembers the words of Moses and rushes to his son's room to see his queen at the bedside of their dying boy.

--- End quote ---

I think you are relying too much on a Hollywood and you may be interpreting firstborn too broadly.  Firstborn could very well be interpreted as the first born child or infant.  This reading would correspond perfectly with the earlier episode of the previous Pharaoh ordering the death of the firstborn child.  A fate Moses escaped—as an infant.

OTHstrong:

--- Quote from: BayGBM on August 14, 2012, 04:02:39 PM ---I think you are relying too much on a Hollywood and you may be interpreting firstborn too broadly.  Firstborn could very well be interpreted as the first born child or infant.  This reading would correspond perfectly with the earlier episode of the previous Pharaoh ordering the death of the firstborn child.  A fate Moses escaped—as an infant.

--- End quote ---
I have read the Bible front to back multiple times. The Bible is very clear when it talks about the first born, in over 30 versus firstborn is mentioned in regard to an adult some even in their 60's and 70's, first born to an Israelite is a title you have till the day you die. In fact this goes even further back to all Hebrews.

MCWAY:

--- Quote from: BayGBM on August 14, 2012, 04:02:39 PM ---I think you are relying too much on a Hollywood and you may be interpreting firstborn too broadly.  Firstborn could very well be interpreted as the first born child or infant.  This reading would correspond perfectly with the earlier episode of the previous Pharaoh ordering the death of the firstborn child.  A fate Moses escaped—as an infant.

--- End quote ---

Moses wasn't the firstborn. His brother, Aaron, was about three years older than he. And, he had an older sister, Miriam. The edict that Moses escaped applied to newborn males not firstborn males.

I used the movie, to make the point about firstborn not being limited to infants. That's also demonstrated in Scripture. Remember that Isaac wanted to give the birthright to Esau, the older of his twin boys. But, God instructed that the younger (Jacob) was to get it.

That's what makes the firstborn so valuable and why widespread DEATH of the firstborn was a major curse. It's not limited to babies.

BayGBM:
Any of you ever been to Santorini?

This documentary mentions the 1500BC Santorini explosion theorized to cause the first biblical plague in Exodus.  That discussion begins at 28:00. 

It also identifies by name the Pharaoh who contended with Moses.  The Bible never names him but a combination of historical records and mummified remains identify him as Ahmose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmose_I

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version