Author Topic: Give Me Your Best Tips For A Stellar Job Interview  (Read 85185 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Give Me Your Best Tips For A Stellar Job Interview
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »
I'm usually not that nervous for interviews, unless I really want the position. With this one I do!

Then you might have to take a more fatalistic view about securing this position for yourself. Remind yourself that if it is meant to be it will happen, if not it won't and something better will come along. A little bit of nerves is good, but too much will play havoc with your focus and you do want to stay focused in the interview. Keep your answers brief, keep it simple and be consistent Sometimes making the same point again and a again is the best way to convince your future employer that they have to have you on their team.

If you already know you are the best person for the job, and you better believe this already, then tell yourself if they don't select you for the position, that it is their stupidity and their loss.

One more thing, and this is advice I got from a friend who was head of HR for a large school district. If at all possible, take the day you interview off from your current job. This way you have the best possibility of achieving the things I mentioned above.

Most of all, let me say good luck.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »
Thank you Prime.

I am unbelievably overthinking this.  :-\

I am destroying myself, and along with that, my chances.

I haven't felt like this in years.

I need to turn things around in the next 12 hours.

I've made it out to be the end of the world if I don't get this.  :(

Bad Dot Bad!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »
Thank you Prime.

I am unbelievably overthinking this.  :-\

I am destroying myself, and along with that, my chances.

I haven't felt like this in years.

I need to turn things around in the next 12 hours.

I've made it out to be the end of the world if I don't get this.  :(

Bad Dot Bad!

You responded to my post while I was adding an important piece about taking the interview day off from your current job.

Relax most of us have been in your shoes at some point in our work lives. No job is worth making yourself crazy over.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 11:11:09 PM »
Threads like this are weird to me..I just don't understand the nervousness and worrying people do about stuff like this...then again I might be desensitized

Bench

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 11:48:29 PM »
Threads like this are weird to me..I just don't understand the nervousness and worrying people do about stuff like this...then again I might be desensitized

Bench

Have you ever been truly passionate about your career? I am...I love the field I'm in. And chances like this are few and far between.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 06:24:30 AM »
Yes....I absolutely know this but continue to misspell it! All the time!

I also get effect and affect mixed up STILL. I'm 35.  :(

Thank you for pointing that out.

I will mess up it's and its if I'm not thinking about it...
Good luck on the interview
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 06:51:25 AM »
I've found this to be true as well. My understanding is that people can be trained into doing most jobs well (given a suitable level of intelligence and education), whereas their personalities are not prone to change.

For my current job, I don't recall talking shop at all in the interview.  It was more peronality, understanding the environment, etc...
Y

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 10:02:20 AM »
Have you ever been truly passionate about your career? I am...I love the field I'm in. And chances like this are few and far between.

Yes, but I'm a type A personality who is used to life and death situations..

This isn't a life or death situation..so stop worrying about it

Bench

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »
Yes, but I'm a type A personality who is used to life and death situations..

This isn't a life or death situation..so stop worrying about it

Bench

No, you are an internet fantasist who has never stepped foot in a warzone.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/us-en/155641/25-personal-interview-questions-youll-need-to-know-the-answer-to/?utm_campaign=JS_US_EDI_WEEKLY%26utm_source=AMS_CA_ENG&utm_medium=EM_NW&om_rid=Nsp1Ii&om_mid=_BSjRecB82mlRQU

25 personal interview questions you’ll need to know the answer to

In the past year, we’ve published several lists of real-life interview questions asked by banks and other financial firms. Some were aimed at prospective investment bankers, others were more general, but all were quantitative in nature – questions that would test a candidate’s technical aptitude. While it’s critical to have answers to these questions, it’s equally important to have good responses to some of the softball behavioral inquiries.

Frankly, these are the questions that give you the opportunity to differentiate yourself and show your true colors. The quantitative questions are just used to weed out those who don’t have the required skillset. Here are 25 questions that are frequently asked by banks, financial firms and even technology companies that are looking for MBA graduates. They were collected by students at NYU Stern School of Business. While clearly none of them are “difficult” in nature, you should do the work upfront and have a good story to tell.

1. Tell me a little about yourself.

2. Why did you leave your last job (or why are considering leaving)?

3. Who is the worst (best) boss/subordinate/colleague you have ever worked with?

4. In your present position, what problems have you identified that were previously overlooked?

5. What kinds of people do you find it difficult to work with?

6. Describe a situation where your judgment proved to be valuable.

7. What aspects of your previous jobs have you disliked?

8. Do you work better under pressure or with time to plan and organize?

9. What is more important – completing a job on time or doing it right?

10. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

11. What are the three most important accomplishments in your career?

12. What kinds of decisions are most difficult for you?

13. What is it about your current company that you do not particularly like or agree with?

14. How would your boss describe you?

15. What three words would you choose to best describe yourself?

16. How do you go about criticizing others?

17. What type of tasks do you feel you cannot delegate?

18. Why do you consider this to be a good opportunity?

19. What kind of relationship and atmosphere do you prefer to maintain with colleagues and subordinates?

20. How do you try to develop the weaker members of your team?

21. Describe how you allocate your time and set your priorities on a typical day.

22. Could your team carry on without you? How?

23. How do you determine if a subordinate is doing a good job?

24. Are you a better planner or implementer?

25. Describe your impact on your present company.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
Show up topless

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
http://www.thedailymuse.com/job-search/the-best-interview-secrets-weve-never-heard/

The Best Interview Secrets We’ve Never Heard

We spend the better part of our lives giving you advice for your job search, but we’ll tell you a little secret—we don’t know everything.

That’s why, this week, we took to the web to find some of the most interesting job interview advice and research that was new to us. From scheduling your interview on a Tuesday morning to avoiding the word “sure,” you’re bound to learn something new that will help you shine in your next interview.
•Just as you set agendas for meetings, setting an agenda for your interview can help you stay on track. (Brazen Life)
•You might want to skip that pre-interview cup of coffee—it could be hurting your performance. (Come Recommended)
•The interview isn’t just about your conversation with the hiring manager. Be sure to make these critical observations during your time there. (U.S. News)
•You should definitely ask questions during your interview, but avoid these common questions that will make you look bad. (Doostang)
•In fact, there are certain words that should stay off-limits while you’re chatting with the interviewer. (boston.com)
•When you schedule your interview can make a big difference in whether you get the job or not. (Glassdoor Blog)
•Can you tell partway through that the interview’s not going so well? Use these tricks to get back on track. (Career Attraction)
•Getting ready for an internal interview? The game is a little bit different. (Harvard Business Review)

The bullet points have links to articles on the link above.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »
If it's technical and you're a good as you say, you shouldn't have a problem fella.

When I went for my first development job after university I was some pretty technical questions and had to write search algorithms on the spot. This was back when ADO.Net were still pretty new. Biggest fuck up you can make is pretending you know everything or fumbling around for an answer. I for example, forgot the code to populate a drop down box. I mean, basic stuff your average 12yo knows with a passing interest in programming. I had to own up.

The rest of the 'team play' and 'personality' questions. Just answer it honestly. It's a load of shit anyway.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 11:47:15 AM »
shor skirt
lots of clevage
lots of lipstik

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
shor skirt
lots of clevage
lots of lipstik

Good advice, but it never helped me.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »
Bring large dog with U  ;)

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 01:41:41 AM »
best thing is to turn down few opps due to money being too low

esp fun with recrutiers

up your price

don't interview for everything

pick very close to home or very best offers

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 06:55:00 AM »
Keep a good posture, stay calm, don't hold your breath and ask questions about their company and the position. Showing sincere interest pays off.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
For an amatuer interviewer the "turning a weakness into a positive response" works very well. For a professional interviewer they are tired of it and would apprecicate an honest answer for once that day. In fact, your "I tend to put too much of myself into the job" response will be considered a non response.    Just make sure the weakness isn't all that uncommon.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »
never let the person interviewing you be in charge of the interview...its YOUR interview!

bench

I like this a LOT.

If the position requires you to take charge of situations, then do that.  They don't want timid for the job, so why would they want timid in the interview? 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 02:12:50 AM »
I like this a LOT.

If the position requires you to take charge of situations, then do that.  They don't want timid for the job, so why would they want timid in the interview? 

You've got to be careful, though. You don't want to come across cocky.

I think being a combination of confident, assertive, and cooperative reflects well on a candidate. Depending on the position, companies often want someone who can work independently AND on a team, and someone who can give AND follow orders.

Many people are either one type or the other; few are that universal personality type able to switch back and forth.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
You'll need to change your name

xxxLinda

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »
You'll need to change your name

xxxLinda

::)

BAST

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Ask Ronald to let me back in please. i am banned.
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »

I do tend to ask ALOT of questions

my tip for you is to learn that "a lot" is written as two words.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
http://www.themuse.com/advice/7-interview-questions-that-will-blow-hiring-managers-away

7 Interview Questions That Will Blow Hiring Managers Away

You know by now that when an interviewer asks, "Do you have any questions for me?" you should have a few in your back pocket.

But this isn't just a chance for you to learn more about the role, team, and company culture—it's a prime opportunity for you to stand out as a candidate even more. By asking smart, thought-provoking questions, you can show that you've done your research, you really care about the company, and you're already thinking about how to be successful on the job.

In this infographic, hiring managers share the questions that have blown them away—and what they learned about candidates as a result. Read on, then consider them for your next big interview.