Author Topic: Great competition video of Gunter in 1994  (Read 1188 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Great competition video of Gunter in 1994
« on: November 15, 2022, 04:31:50 PM »

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Great competition video of Gunter in 1994
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 05:19:51 PM »
I think he was three bills here. He just wasn't super ripped.

I'd argue he was the second bodybuilder to compete at that weight after Lou Ferrigno in the 1993 Olympia.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 10:29:55 PM »
I think he was three bills here. He just wasn't super ripped.

I'd argue he was the second bodybuilder to compete at that weight after Lou Ferrigno in the 1993 Olympia.

You can't subjectively "argue" an opinion on something that has an answer which has an objective answer.

In any case you are wrong. If you are speaking of pro bodybuilders, Greg Kovacs competed at the 1997 Night of Champions at 320-lb.

I don't know if some giant 6'5" bodybuilder ever competed over 300-lb as an amateur between Lou Ferrigno in the 1993 Olympia weighing 318-lb, and Gunter Schlierkamp in the 2002 Olympia at 300-lb.

Ronnie Coleman was something like 301- to 304-lb at the 1994 English Grand Prix.

But Greg Kovacs was 320-lb at the 1997 Night of Champions.

So you were wrong there.  But you were absolutely right that after my little cycle I would go back to Twig City though. But I'm training for strength, and stronger than I've ever been despite losing the cycle muscle [which was expected by both of us].

They should call you "Mystic MCWAY" because you predict these things.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 10:37:55 PM »
You can't subjectively "argue" an opinion on something that has an answer which has an objective answer.

In any case you are wrong. If you are speaking of pro bodybuilders, Greg Kovacs competed at the 1997 Night of Champions at 320-lb.

I don't know if some giant 6'5" bodybuilder ever competed over 300-lb as an amateur between Lou Ferrigno in the 1993 Olympia weighing 318-lb, and Gunter Schlierkamp in the 2002 Olympia at 300-lb.

Ronnie Coleman was something like 301- to 304-lb at the 1994 English Grand Prix.

You were right that after my little cycle I would go back to Twig City though. But I'm training for strength, and stronger than I've ever been despite losing the cycle muscle [which was expected by both of us].

You've lost it already? What's the bodyfat looking like now? Update us with what you've been doing after coming off and how quickly you started to shrink.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 11:06:33 PM »
You've lost it already? What's the bodyfat looking like now? Update us with what you've been doing after coming off and how quickly you started to shrink.

I just went back to my normal look, almost exactly.

I'm 192-lb today, only because I had a good day of bodybuilding eating yesterday, weighing 190 then. My pre-cycle weight was 183.

My doctor and I both think 185-lb will be a good weight to maintain for optimal health, if I increase my calories more than my usual level, since that slowed down my thyroid.

I just haven't planned the diet to get to that 185 yet, and I still have a tiny bit of the extra mass from the cycle...but I'd guess about 70% of it is gone by now.

As I continue to eat <1,500, down to as low as <1,000 calories daily, I will go back to my pre-cycle weight of 183...if not back to 170.

Natural training sucks, so I'm not motivated to eat a bodybuilding diet. I hate eating. Not just for bodybuilding - I hate eating, period.

For the cycle, I just went from a very low calorie diet - as outlined above - to calories in the 2,000 to 3,000 range. Call it 2,400 daily.

That was a SOLID 1,000 calories over my average. But I wasn't eating a perfect bodybuilding diet - I was just eating 2,400 relatively clean calories.

Since the Anadrol results were immediate...I was motivated to keep eating at that level.

When I ended my cycle on September 1st, my motivation to eat dwindled, and by November 1st, I was completely back to my old diet...which is 90g protein per day on average, with some higher days in there - maybe one or two a week.

I try to stay in good shape by normal person standards, but I'm nowhere near as full and pumped as I was on 15mg Anadrol daily.

My chest sucks. It's even worse now off cycle. I'm glad I now know it's just a genetic trait I can't fix.

I know I said I'd only do one cycle - but because my mini-cycke was so great, I want to do another one within the next year. A REAL cycle, with injectable testosterone. Maybe even test-only.

But I'm not doing it unless I have a proper diet planned out, which to be a PRECISE diet, where I MUST eating XYZ different foods a day, a minimum quantity of water, etc.

I'd take any advice and suggestions on Getbiggers for a proper diet - that's not my wheelhouse, so I could use the help.

As for me - because I'm not eating, I decided to go back to strength training. If I can't gain muscle due to low calories, I may as well be strong.

I'll attach some photos below, but to start, I have some training updates here:

http://www.instagram.com/matthew_thunderbay

I'm training Strongman events for next year's contest season. Unfortunately, my main gym only goes up to 120-lb dumbbells, and I need 130-lb and 140-lb dumbbells at this point. My contest next summer is a 150-lb dumbbell for reps.

Then I found out that to buy one of each 130/140, it would cost $1,310, and that's a bit more than I wanted to donate to my gym, haha.

So I'll just be attaching 5-lb or 10-lb to each side of the 120, and secure it with electrical tape. Electrical tape should be able to hold up to 10-lb per side safely.

If I can get 140 for 3-4 reps in training, I should be able to get that 150-lb dumbbell in contest.

This picture is from October 1st - one full month off cycle. We'll it appears like I kept a good amount of the cycle this photo, it's only because I'm pumped here.

It's when that pump goes away 15 minutes later that you see how profoundly steroids trained my look.

Really, Anadrol's most impressive impact on me was allowing me to looked full with a 50% pump 24/7.

I wish there was a natural way to maintain our pumps all day.

Since this picture on October 1st after one month, I've lost more muscle since.

I could have maintained more of it if I kept my calories at 2,400 daily, but I hate eating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkJ3XD6t4ke/

Three paused reps with 100-lb dumbbells overhead:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjFEKgHuMrT/

If someone can plan be the perfect muscle diet, next year's summer is going to be GREAT.

I'm on a strength program now, and I'm stronger now than I was then, and pretty close to my lifetime strongest - and even stronger on some individual lifts and Strongman events.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 12:14:55 AM »

As far as I know, Gunter was 260-lb in 1994, so I would assume he was around that in this video.

I think certain YouTube accounts upload bodybuilding videos after altering the aspect ratios, which make the bodybuilders look wider. And I think that video is one of them.

Gunter was 286-287 in 2000, and 293 in 2001, and then finally hit 300 in 2002. He stayed 300 for a while, but only when he competed at 295 in 2005 did he repeat or maybe even surpass his 2002 conditioning.

I don't think he was anything close to 300 in contest in 1994. But he was 345-lb in the off-season in 2003, so he very well may have been 300 in the off-season in 1994 - but never in contest before 2002, as far as I know.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 12:24:18 AM »
Never cared for him much back in the day(MD era) because I was so impressed with Coleman & J. P. Fuxxx.
But nowadays I think he represents the bodybuilding ideal way more than the short(er) mass freaks.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 12:34:36 AM »
Never cared for him much back in the day(MD era) because I was so impressed with Coleman & J. P. Fuxxx.
But nowadays I think he represents the bodybuilding ideal way more than the short(er) mass freaks.

MD Era = Modern-day Era? Starting when Dorian Yates started winning his Sandows in 1992, and ending around 2011 when Phil Heath started winning his?

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 12:42:37 AM »
MD Era = Modern-day Era? Starting when Dorian Yates started winning his Sandows in 1992, and ending around 2011 when Phil Heath started winning his?

Muscular Development era(2001 ... 2006 for me) - anybody not super freaky seemed boring to me.
Yates gets a pass as he blended the old with the new earlier in his career.

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 04:18:16 AM »
But I'm not doing it unless I have a proper diet planned out, which to be a PRECISE diet, where I MUST eating XYZ different foods a day, a minimum quantity of water, etc.

I'd take any advice and suggestions on Getbiggers for a proper diet - that's not my wheelhouse, so I could use the help.

As for me - because I'm not eating, I decided to go back to strength training. If I can't gain muscle due to low calories, I may as well be strong.

Did you take any advice on diet for your last cycle?

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 05:03:25 AM »
Who takes it?

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 05:24:48 AM »
Despite being much closer to the camera, Kovacs legs looked small compared to Gunter

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 02:15:40 PM »

You don't read very well, do you? The video posted here of Schlierkamp is from 1994; Kovacs didn't compete as a pro until 1997 (at a baby-smooth 318 lbs). He didn't even turn pro until 1996.

Schmierkamp wasn't at 300 at the 2002 Olympia. The closest he got to that weight at the O was 299 at the '05 show.

MuscleMag covered these Grand Prix shows back in the 90s. Gunter was cited at 300 at some of these; but, as stated earlier, he wasn't super ripped.

Are you high? Coleman was nowhere near 300 lbs in 1994; in 2004, he was listed at 296.

MuscleMag has him at 318 and nowhere near in shape. I have that issue in my garage.

So you were wrong there.  But you were absolutely right that after my little cycle I would go back to Twig City though. But I'm training for strength, and stronger than I've ever been despite losing the cycle muscle [which was expected by both of us].

They should call you "Mystic MCWAY" because you predict these things.

What part of "you don't have to choose between size and strength" don't you understand? I bump my thread twice to give you proof and motivation.

But, since you don't take hints well, once more, here is Christopher Oketch (PNBA World Natural Bodybuilding Champion and Kenya's and Qatar's Strongest Man).

Mr. Kenya 2017

2017 Kenya's Strongest Man (Edit - He placed 2nd in 2017; he won it in 2018).

2019 PNBA Natural World Bodybuilding Champion.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 01:00:58 PM »
I just went back to my normal look, almost exactly.

I'm 192-lb today, only because I had a good day of bodybuilding eating yesterday, weighing 190 then. My pre-cycle weight was 183.

My doctor and I both think 185-lb will be a good weight to maintain for optimal health, if I increase my calories more than my usual level, since that slowed down my thyroid.

I just haven't planned the diet to get to that 185 yet, and I still have a tiny bit of the extra mass from the cycle...but I'd guess about 70% of it is gone by now.

As I continue to eat <1,500, down to as low as <1,000 calories daily, I will go back to my pre-cycle weight of 183...if not back to 170.

Natural training sucks, so I'm not motivated to eat a bodybuilding diet. I hate eating. Not just for bodybuilding - I hate eating, period.

And what exactly is "natural training"? You lift the weights differently when you aren't on the sauce?

For the cycle, I just went from a very low calorie diet - as outlined above - to calories in the 2,000 to 3,000 range. Call it 2,400 daily.

That was a SOLID 1,000 calories over my average. But I wasn't eating a perfect bodybuilding diet - I was just eating 2,400 relatively clean calories.

Since the Anadrol results were immediate...I was motivated to keep eating at that level.

When I ended my cycle on September 1st, my motivation to eat dwindled, and by November 1st, I was completely back to my old diet...which is 90g protein per day on average, with some higher days in there - maybe one or two a week.

I try to stay in good shape by normal person standards, but I'm nowhere near as full and pumped as I was on 15mg Anadrol daily.

My chest sucks. It's even worse now off cycle. I'm glad I now know it's just a genetic trait I can't fix.

90 grams of protein a day? And you wonder why you can't grow without anabolics  ::). Try 2g per kg of bodyweight (plus and extra 20 g for good measure).

As for your chest, we've gone over this multiple times: You're too fixated on flat bench. Add some inclines and dips. Plus, you're using too little weight or too much weight on the flat bench. And, your grip is too narrow.

I know I said I'd only do one cycle - but because my mini-cycke was so great, I want to do another one within the next year. A REAL cycle, with injectable testosterone. Maybe even test-only.

And the reason you aren't using a "proper" or "precise" diet now would be........

I'll attach some photos below, but to start, I have some training updates here:

http://www.instagram.com/matthew_thunderbay

I'm training Strongman events for next year's contest season. Unfortunately, my main gym only goes up to 120-lb dumbbells, and I need 130-lb and 140-lb dumbbells at this point. My contest next summer is a 150-lb dumbbell for reps.

Then I found out that to buy one of each 130/140, it would cost $1,310, and that's a bit more than I wanted to donate to my gym, haha.

So I'll just be attaching 5-lb or 10-lb to each side of the 120, and secure it with electrical tape. Electrical tape should be able to hold up to 10-lb per side safely.

If I can get 140 for 3-4 reps in training, I should be able to get that 150-lb dumbbell in contest.

This picture is from October 1st - one full month off cycle. We'll it appears like I kept a good amount of the cycle this photo, it's only because I'm pumped here.

It's when that pump goes away 15 minutes later that you see how profoundly steroids trained my look.

Really, Anadrol's most impressive impact on me was allowing me to looked full with a 50% pump 24/7.

I wish there was a natural way to maintain our pumps all day.

Since this picture on October 1st after one month, I've lost more muscle since.

I could have maintained more of it if I kept my calories at 2,400 daily, but I hate eating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkJ3XD6t4ke/

Three paused reps with 100-lb dumbbells overhead:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjFEKgHuMrT/

If someone can plan be the perfect muscle diet, next year's summer is going to be GREAT.

I'm on a strength program now, and I'm stronger now than I was then, and pretty close to my lifetime strongest - and even stronger on some individual lifts and Strongman events.

You were given this advice MONTHS ago. You just won't take it.

It's simple: INCREASE YOUR CALORIES! And, if you don't have the appetite to eat them, DRINK them.

Get a high-quality protein supplement (i.e. Carnivor Lean Meal or Carnivor Mass). Drink 2-3 of them a day along with your regular meals (at least 3 of them).

And to point out, yet again, that there's no need to choose between bodybuilding or powerlifting, I refer you once more to Mr. Kenya, PNBA World Natural BB champion, and Kenya's/Qatar's Strongest Man, Christopher Oketch.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2022, 01:07:55 PM »
Might be time for some 1 rep max strict curls Matt.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »

If Matt simply guzzled down a couple of shakes with what he normally eats (I recommend Carnivor, assuming he's lactose-intolerant), he'd be fine.

Titus Pullo

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 03:42:24 PM »

LOL!

I know we poke fun at Bwanks for that, but I actually like the strict curl thingie.  I find raw powerlifting more interesting, but there's no harm in throwing some new (?) stuff into the mix.

Besides, something has to fill the gap left by the legless physique division and that horrid abortion of the "Super League" ;)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 12:06:41 AM »
Muscular Development era(2001 ... 2006 for me) - anybody not super freaky seemed boring to me.
Yates gets a pass as he blended the old with the new earlier in his career.
Yes, the mass freaks desensitized us to normal bodybuilders.