Author Topic: Study: Immigrants’ skin tone affects earnings  (Read 4383 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Study: Immigrants’ skin tone affects earnings
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:33:52 PM »
You know, when I look around my office, almost everyone has above average looks (me excluded of course).   :-\

Study: Immigrants’ skin tone affects earnings
Those with lighter skin make more money; height also factors in

Updated: 2:13 p.m. HT Jan 26, 2007
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Light-skinned immigrants in the United States make more money on average than those with darker complexions, and the chief reason appears to be discrimination, a researcher says.

Joni Hersch, a law and economics professor at Vanderbilt University, looked at a government survey of 2,084 legal immigrants to the United States from around the world and found that those with the lightest skin earned an average of 8 percent to 15 percent more than similar immigrants with much darker skin.

"On average, being one shade lighter has about the same effect as having an additional year of education," Hersch said.

The study also found that taller immigrants earn more than shorter ones, with an extra inch of height associated with a 1 percent increase in income.

Prejudice goes beyond race
Other researchers said the findings are consistent with other studies on color and point to a skin-tone prejudice that goes beyond race.

Hersch took into consideration other factors that could affect wages, such as English-language proficiency, education, occupation, race or country of origin, and found that skin tone still seemed to make a difference in earnings.

That means that if two similar immigrants from Bangladesh, for example, came to the United States at the same time, with the same occupation and ability to speak English, the lighter-skinned immigrant would make more money on average.

"I thought that once we controlled for race and nationality, I expected the difference to go away, but even with people from the same country, the same race — skin color really matters," she said, "and height."

Although many cultures show a bias toward lighter skin, Hersch said her analysis shows that the skin-color advantage was not due to preferential treatment for light-skinned people in their country of origin. The bias, she said, occurs in the U.S.

Economics professor Shelley White-Means of the University of Tennessee at Memphis said the study adds to the growing body of evidence that there is a "preference for whiteness" in America that goes beyond race.

Hersch drew her data from a 2003 federal survey of nearly 8,600 new immigrants. The survey used an 11-point scale for measuring skin tone, in which 0 represents an absence of color and 10 the darkest possible skin tone.

From those nearly 8,600 participants, she focused on the more than 2,000 who were working and whose skin tone had been recorded during face-to-face interviews.

Few color discrimination suits
William Darity Jr., an economics professor at the University of North Carolina, said Hersch's findings are similar to a study he co-authored last year on skin tone and wages among blacks.

"We estimate that dark- or medium-skinned blacks suffered a discriminatory penalty of anywhere from 10 percent to 15 percent relative to whites," he said. "This suggests people cue into appearance and draw inferences about capabilities and skills based on how they look."

Darity said it is not clear whether the bias is conscious or subconscious.

Hersch said her findings, which will be presented at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science next month in San Francisco, could support discrimination lawsuits based not on race, but on color.

"There are very few color discrimination suits, but they are on the rise," she said. "But these suits can be hard to prove."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16831909/

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
Re: Study: Immigrants’ skin tone affects earnings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:37:10 PM »

i hope the height part isnt entirely true, i went to college got a decent job down town and am 28 years old but im only 5'6". what did your kiddies pack you for lunch?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:44:06 PM »
I'm simply shocked a study was actually required to validate this.  ::)
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:44:17 PM »
  i hope the height part isnt entirely true, i went to college got a decent job down town and am 28 years old but im only 5'6". what did your kiddies pack you for lunch?

Nothing today.   ;D  Have a lunch meeting today and lunch is being provided.

I think there are always exceptions, but they're talking about trends.  At the end of the day, if you work hard, maintain your integrity, and are good at what you do you will be successful, regardless of your height, etc.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
I've always had a hard time buying into the "lighter color thing"  (I'm tan myself  lol)

I believe we all have things that can potentially hold us back.  For some it may be smarts and others it may be skin color. 

But in the end it's how you attack and overcome your challanges that determine how successful you are at your chosen field of endevor.

I know quite a few poeple who are half as smart as i am and have 10 times as much as i do.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 01:53:45 PM »
I'm simply shocked a study was actually required to validate this.  ::)

Why?  Many people don't believe it. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 01:58:59 PM »
o good lord..better looking people that are seen as more fuckable will always have it easier...

now lighter skin is considered prettier..most places..

its not the worst thing in the damn world...

and i will add..most It guys i know r african black....most r supersmart and make well over 6 figs..

genius > looks
carpe` vaginum!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 03:08:20 PM »
Most of the time skin color goes hand in hand with class. Of course lighter skinned immigrants will earn more because they're from more educated famalies that were usually middle to upper class in their respective countries.

I know this from personal experience. Both my parents are from Bangladesh, but my family and I don't really look Bengali because we're taller and lighter skinned than most Bengalis. I haven't dealt with a lot of the stuff that some other bengalis or indians in general face and that's color discrimination. People have always assumed I'm hispanic or something and even after I've told them about my origins, they still treat me better than I see them treating some other bengalis who are darker skinned.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
Of course lighter skinned immigrants will earn more because they're from more educated famalies

and why do you think lighter skinned immigrants r from more educated families?
carpe` vaginum!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 03:52:56 AM »
Most of the time skin color goes hand in hand with class. Of course lighter skinned immigrants will earn more because they're from more educated famalies that were usually middle to upper class in their respective countries.

I know this from personal experience. Both my parents are from Bangladesh, but my family and I don't really look Bengali because we're taller and lighter skinned than most Bengalis. I haven't dealt with a lot of the stuff that some other bengalis or indians in general face and that's color discrimination. People have always assumed I'm hispanic or something and even after I've told them about my origins, they still treat me better than I see them treating some other bengalis who are darker skinned.

Perhaps in your experience, but I can assure you the same does not always ring true around the world.

Bangladesh, and North America circa turn of the 20th century appear to be anomalies and NOT the norm throughout the world. Many European immigrants to Canada are amazed and astonished to see the general economic status of Blacks in North America. In their native European countries, the only time they encountered Blacks, were students from Africa. They got the impression that all Africans and those of African descent are rich and well educated, ...just like many Canadians falsely assume that everyone from Hong Kong is rich. False
w

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 04:00:13 AM »

Sure you are...

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 04:57:06 PM »
Hmm, i must be diff, because i treat everybody the same no matter what color. My mother is very light (and her sisters as well). My dad is dark.

I never was called light skinned until middle school, and i am light tan. i wouldn't mind looking like Tyson Beckford, but hell, your delt the card your delt.
 Color should not matter in what you earn, unless you're green.

I'm just glad, I'm not "Ugly Parker"

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 05:15:39 PM »
Hmm, i must be diff, because i treat everybody the same no matter what color.

I hear ya, man.

Unfortunately, many don't feel like we do.
HAHA, RON.....

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 05:40:11 PM »
Sure you are...

I didn't say anything out of the norm, I did not claim to be light skinned. I am lighter than most bengalis, that's just it. I get mistaken for mideastern and hispanic a lot, hence the Camel Jockey nick. Anyways, you white folks are one's who put heavy emphasis on skin color and that's a fact.

Hmm, i must be diff, because i treat everybody the same no matter what color. My mother is very light (and her sisters as well). My dad is dark.

I never was called light skinned until middle school, and i am light tan. i wouldn't mind looking like Tyson Beckford, but hell, your delt the card your delt.
 Color should not matter in what you earn, unless you're green.

But color, looks and height do matter. It's nothing to do with you but the faulty judgement of other people. Most will tell you that they're open minded and judge fairly, but they're lairs. It's like short men who treat tall men like shit and treat women like they're godesses.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »

It's like short men treat women like they're godesses.

Damn, I used be guilty of this, kinda still am. I guess its because I'm 5'5 ;D

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 10:52:54 AM »
I didn't say anything out of the norm, I did not claim to be light skinned. I am lighter than most bengalis, that's just it. I get mistaken for mideastern and hispanic a lot, hence the Camel Jockey nick. Anyways, you white folks are one's who put heavy emphasis on skin color and that's a fact.

But color, looks and height do matter. It's nothing to do with you but the faulty judgement of other people. Most will tell you that they're open minded and judge fairly, but they're lairs. It's like short men who treat tall men like shit and treat women like they're godesses.

There's a few Bangladeshi's not far from where I live. There all dark as fuck and like to keep to themselves. I've noticed that generally, those guys don't mix that much with the Pakistani's or seem to go for all that hardcore Islam shit.

90% of 'Indian' restaurants in the UK are actually Bangladeshi opr Pakistani. But mainly Bangladeshi

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
There's a few Bangladeshi's not far from where I live. There all dark as f**k and like to keep to themselves. I've noticed that generally, those guys don't mix that much with the Pakistani's or seem to go for all that hardcore Islam shit.

90% of 'Indian' restaurants in the UK are actually Bangladeshi opr Pakistani. But mainly Bangladeshi

99% of bengalis are dark, but a few are lighter like Pakis and Indians.

Honestly, bengalis are a tad bit stupid. but one plus is that most Bengalis are always non violent and mind their own business. Pakis are fucking crazy. There's a lot of them in my neighborhood and the young one's go to the mosque in the morning and push drugs in the evening, while the old one's run around in rags 24/7. They can be pretty violent and anti-american and are generally scum. I dated this one paki bitch but when she asked me to meet her parents I bailed faster than a black man.

Generally the best south asian people are Indians, the shadow being the exception of course.  ;D

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 12:18:46 PM »
and i will add..most It guys i know r african black....most r supersmart and make well over 6 figs..

genius > looks

::) ffs lay off the crack pipe...
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 01:18:13 PM »
99% of bengalis are dark, but a few are lighter like Pakis and Indians.

Honestly, bengalis are a tad bit stupid. but one plus is that most Bengalis are always non violent and mind their own business. Pakis are fucking crazy. There's a lot of them in my neighborhood and the young one's go to the mosque in the morning and push drugs in the evening, while the old one's run around in rags 24/7. They can be pretty violent and anti-american and are generally scum. I dated this one paki bitch but when she asked me to meet her parents I bailed faster than a black man.

Generally the best south asian people are Indians, the shadow being the exception of course.  ;D

I'd put Bengali's above those stuck up girls

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »
Hmm, i must be diff, because i treat everybody the same no matter what color.

yanno..i give that statement some thought..and i'm surprised to say for the most part i treat everyone by what colour they "act" not actual colour
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 01:24:51 PM »
::) ffs lay off the crack pipe...

name is Joseph Anoke...look that name up and see who is in charge of NASA networks at goddard ya BITCH! ;D

black dood..my teacher..and intimidatingly smart..

i wouldn't f**k with his info though..he does a lot of defence work also..
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 01:25:37 PM »
There's a lot of them in my neighborhood and the young one's go to the mosque in the morning and push drugs in the evening, while the old one's run around in rags 24/7. They can be pretty violent and anti-american and are generally scum. I dated this one paki bitch but when she asked me to meet her parents I bailed faster than a black man.

i'm willing to bet NONE are sindhi...all punjabi..

am i right?
carpe` vaginum!

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 05:28:25 PM »
yanno..i give that statement some thought..and i'm surprised to say for the most part i treat everyone by what colour they "act" not actual colour

Truth be told, I remember in College one of my Professors (old school) told a female student who like to walk in late and make a grand entrance, to stop acting her "color", and that we are not on CP time (Colored People's time. Old school termology that being ignorant or late was a Colored trait.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 03:38:26 AM »
name is Joseph Anoke...look that name up and see who is in charge of NASA networks at goddard ya BITCH! ;D

black dood..my teacher..and intimidatingly smart..

i wouldn't f**k with his info though..he does a lot of defence work also..

Ok that's one fella, you always sensationalise things, and make it sound like all IT guys are black and make 6 figs.

Most math/statistics/software engineers in the organisation I work are majority far eastern decendancy.

Non-white and about 5'4" :D

Maybe race counts to a certain level, but any organisation limiting it employment force by choosing only white 6'2" beings is really choosing not to be a success.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 04:08:40 AM »

WTF is that supposed to mean? "What colour they act"
Are you trying to say that behaviour is a racial attribute?  ::)

Toxie, I like you, ...but sometimes I wanna give you such a smack!  >:(
w