Author Topic: We have another supernatural NFL type sprinter on Getbig :)))  (Read 27340 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V

Tre could take him on a good day, providing he didnt have a she beast to exploit film that day.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Tre,

Why didn't you ever pursue Olympic glory?  

I'm serious.  If your times are legit, there is absolutely no way you didn't have scouts from all sports and events banging your door down.  
I went to school with a guy who was 3rd in the country in the 400m and 6th in the 200m.  He was also top 3 in the state in the 100m, so he was fast for all "sprint" distances.

He had offers from just about every university in the nation for track....but he had offers from colleges for sports HE DIDN'T EVEN PLAY based on his speed.  
He had offers from just about every big football program in the nation, and he hadn't played football since 10th grade!

The reason he stopped playing football was because after putting up a top 10 time in the 400m in 10th grade, he became an "Olympic Hopeful" and started spending his summers at Olympic Training Centers...first at Chula Vista (which was brand new) and then at Colorado Springs.  

THAT is what happens to guys who run 4.4 40's in high school....they become Olympic hopefuls.

Your intuition says that, but you'd be surprised at the number of guys who've run sub-23s in the 200 or ~48s in the 400 that you've never heard of.  These are really fast times, but 6/10ths of a second difference in the 200 translates to you looking like you got blown out.  A 1-second difference in the 400, and you're 10 meters behind the 3rd-place finisher.  And in the 100m, 11.2s is faster than 98.8% of the world, but 10.8s is faster than probably 99.8% of the world.  Despite what the numbers look like on paper, these are massive differences.

Also, most people don't understand how college recruiting works, especially when we're talking about 2A high schools.  When combined with cross country, a FULLY-funded running program only had about 12 scholarships for men and since both of my college choices already had 5-6 cross-country runners on full scholarship, that left 6 for the entire track team.  That's not 6 for an entering class, that's 6 that have to be divided among the entire team.  Colleges just aren't sending scouts out to watch the #3 or 4 guy at a regional meet for the small schools, even though our times were often quite competitive with the 3A and 4A schools.   

Many high schools themselves are also involved in promoting and positioning athletes to be compete for athletic scholarships, but I didn't attend that type of high school.  Graduating classes from my high school do, however, rank among the top in the country each year in terms of ACADEMIC scholarship dollars won per person. 

I know that many Americans want to believe that pure, raw talent always wins out, but luck and timing play huge roles (in determining who gets recruited and for what) and at the level of competition we're talking, tiny differences on the clock are magnified on the track.

Army of One

• Getbig V
Your intuition says that, but you'd be surprised at the number of guys who've run sub-23s in the 200 or ~48s in the 400 that you've never heard of.  These are really fast times, but 6/10ths of a second difference in the 200 translates to you looking like you got blown out.  A 1-second difference in the 400, and you're 10 meters behind the 3rd-place finisher.  And in the 100m, 11.2s is faster than 98.8% of the world, but 10.8s is faster than probably 99.8% of the world.  Despite what the numbers look like on paper, these are massive differences.

Also, most people don't understand how college recruiting works, especially when we're talking about 2A high schools.  When combined with cross country, a FULLY-funded running program only had about 12 scholarships for men and since both of my college choices already had 5-6 cross-country runners on full scholarship, that left 6 for the entire track team.  That's not 6 for an entering class, that's 6 that have to be divided among the entire team.  Colleges just aren't sending scouts out to watch the #3 or 4 guy at a regional meet for the small schools, even though our times were often quite competitive with the 3A and 4A schools.   

Many high schools themselves are also involved in promoting and positioning athletes to be compete for athletic scholarships, but I didn't attend that type of high school.  Graduating classes from my high school do, however, rank among the top in the country each year in terms of ACADEMIC scholarship dollars won per person. 

I know that many Americans want to believe that pure, raw talent always wins out, but luck and timing play huge roles (in determining who gets recruited and for what) and at the level of competition we're talking, tiny differences on the clock are magnified on the track.

Shut up, your bullshit is wearing thin now.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: We have another supernatural NFL type sprinter on Getbig :)))
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2010, 11:03:29 AM »
After further review, and watching those videos...I'm gonna say I did not run a real 4.4 or even 4.5....Yikes... :-X

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »
After further review, and watching those videos...I'm gonna say I did not run a real 4.4 or even 4.5....Yikes... :-X

It was a case of an asst coach timing you who wanted to pump you up......like I said earlier, kinda how everybody is 20lbs heavier and a few inches taller......

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »
It was a case of an asst coach timing you who wanted to pump you up......like I said earlier, kinda how everybody is 20lbs heavier and a few inches taller......

I don't know what it was but it wasn't a 4.4 or 4.5...But I was the 2nd fastest fella in my school which was a large high school...The only guy faster was a USA today honorable mention football player in 1997...Football and track was his life and was going to be the next big thing...he works as a barber now...that's what happens when you can't maintain a 2.0 GPA...in high school. :-X..Anyway...no 4.4...or 4.5...lets just say I was fast... ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
I don't know what it was but it wasn't a 4.4 or 4.5...But I was the 2nd fastest fella in my school which was a large high school...The only guy faster was a USA today honorable mention football player in 1997...Football and track was his life and was going to be the next big thing...he works as a barber now...that's what happens when you can't maintain a 2.0 GPA...in high school. :-X

Ouch......sad that guys spend that much time on athletics and nobody pushes them to just be at least avg in academics....thats all they need to be and they will have so many doors open to them...

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »
Ouch......sad that guys spend that much time on athletics and nobody pushes them to just be at least avg in academics....thats all they need to be and they will have so many doors open to them...

We saw it coming...he'd sit in class and do nothing and somehow pass...My pops told me to  continue to hit the books cause guys like him peak in high school...He was right...I forgot to mention he's a gangbanger now also...not the good kind ;D :-X

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »
We saw it coming...he'd sit in class and do nothing and somehow pass...My pops told me to  continue to hit the books cause guys like him peak in high school...He was right...I forgot to mention he's a gangbanger now also...not the good kind ;D :-X

LOL... ;D

I was stationed with a guy who was also from NC, he had a full ride to Clemson and blew it......he flat out told me he never went to class, so after he was ruled inelgible, he dropped out of school.....he was playing semi-pro american football in Germany, while in the military....they could have 3 or 4 americans on each team.....went to see him play and he rushed for about 250 yds and 4 td's....little kids wanting his autograph....coures we ribbed him forever about it......anyway, he was the first to admit he screwed himself.....but at least he ended up staying in and making a good life for himself.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »
LOL... ;D

I was stationed with a guy who was also from NC, he had a full ride to Clemson and blew it......he flat out told me he never went to class, so after he was ruled inelgible, he dropped out of school.....he was playing semi-pro american football in Germany, while in the military....they could have 3 or 4 americans on each team.....went to see him play and he rushed for about 250 yds and 4 td's....little kids wanting his autograph....coures we ribbed him forever about it......anyway, he was the first to admit he screwed himself.....but at least he ended up staying in and making a good life for himself.

I played overseas...it's a fucking joke unless it's NFL Europe...I was a god at RB but then it's like us playing soccer and going overseas to play...we'd get crushed...
Stuttgart Stallions, in Germany...When I was stationed there....Motherfuckers were smoking and drinking beers during practice... ;D :-X

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »
I played overseas...it's a fucking joke unless it's NFL Europe...I was a god at RB but then it's like us playing soccer and going overseas to play...we'd get crushed...

i know...this was a lower level team......basically like small hs football, the Augsburg Ants haha......he just dominated, but got paid about $250 a game and didn't have to go to practice.....haha.....he tried to get me to come out with him, but I was just too interested in partying and drinking at the time and totally unmotivated.....kinda wish I would have given it a go, but oh well......

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »
Thats nothing, i once did it in -2.2 seconds

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »
Stuttgart Stallions, in Germany...When I was stationed there....Motherfuckers were smoking and drinking beers during practice... ;D :-X

Stuttgart was where our personel division was located.....been there many times....

and my friend said the same thing.......he said on away trips they would drink beer on the bus all the way back...haha....my kinda football !!!!

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2010, 11:34:55 AM »
Stuttgart was where our personel division was located.....been there many times....

and my friend said the same thing.......he said on away trips they would drink beer on the bus all the way back...haha....my kinda football !!!!

I was in the only Air Force unit ( A personnel unit) on Patch Barracks...from 98-01 then was at Ramstein from 05-08.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:03 AM »
I was in the only Air Force unit on Patch Barracks...from 98-01 then was at Ramstein from 05-08.

Man, you are causing me to have flashbacks.....haven't heard Patch Barracks mentioned in forever.......and Rammstein had a pretty decent base team back in the day....

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2010, 11:38:32 AM »
Man, you are causing me to have flashbacks.....haven't heard Patch Barracks mentioned in forever.......and Rammstein had a pretty decent base team back in the day....

I did alot of theater on Kelly Barracks, Robinson was always open until 9/11 and the Panzer was just there...Ramstein a decent base team because it's the largest gathering of Americans outside the U.S. with 53K people...I would hope so...If I had a job i'd go back to Stuttgart in a sec...I met my wife at Kelly Barracks when I was doing a play.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B

oh shut up already......you didn't run anywhere near a 4.2.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
I did alot of theater on Kelly Barracks, Robinson was always open until 9/11 and the Panzer was just there...Ramstein a decent base team because it's the largest gathering of Americans outside the U.S. with 53K people...I would hope so...If I had a job i'd go back to Stuttgart in a sec...I met my wife at Kelly Barracks when I was doing a play.

I loved Germany when I was there......Augsburg was about the right size for me and so close to Munich by train.....I went to a few outdoor concerts in Stuttgart.....I knew Ramstein was huge, but didn't realize it was that big.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »
I loved Germany when I was there......Augsburg was about the right size for me and so close to Munich by train.....I went to a few outdoor concerts in Stuttgart.....I knew Ramstein was huge, but didn't realize it was that big.

Yep...that big...Good times 8)

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
Wait! This fool is claiming a 4.2 now?.............HAHAHAHAHA!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »

I didn't claim a 4.2.

Go learn a few things about speed and then get back to me on the subject.

I was stationed with a guy who was also from NC, he had a full ride to Clemson and blew it......he flat out told me he never went to class, so after he was ruled inelgible, he dropped out of school.....

The average guy, sports fan or not, doesn't realize just how many of these stories there are involving guys with high-level raw talent who never reached high levels of sporting competition.  Yeah, lots of guys got hurt and often resented those who stayed healthy, but many others just gave it all away with stupidity. 

Winning an athletic scholarship was never a goal of mine, nor did I grow up thinking I was going to someday be a pro athlete or an Olympian.  Life took a bunch of twists that landed me here where I am today - same as athletes who wash out for whatever reason - but I have very few (non-government-related) complaints about the life I ended up with just because it's not the life I'd *planned* to have.

caseyviator

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2010, 12:05:02 PM »
there are litterally thousands in the usa who can bench 500+.....but il bet there are less than 100 people in the world who can really run a legit combine type conditions time of 4.3 or under......imo

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »
When talking about 40 yard dash times, Deion Sanders comes to mind. He was around 4.2/4.1 I believe.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Re: Ding Ding !! We have another supernatural cum NFL type sprinter on Getbig :)
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2010, 12:29:39 PM »
tre and wiggs = “I could have been a great pro ..but had other plans “  ;D

Haha  :D yes "I could have played professional football easily but it really isn't that much fun" oh brother

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »
I didn't claim a 4.2.

Go learn a few things about speed and then get back to me on the subject.

The average guy, sports fan or not, doesn't realize just how many of these stories there are involving guys with high-level raw talent who never reached high levels of sporting competition.  Yeah, lots of guys got hurt and often resented those who stayed healthy, but many others just gave it all away with stupidity. 

Winning an athletic scholarship was never a goal of mine, nor did I grow up thinking I was going to someday be a pro athlete or an Olympian.  Life took a bunch of twists that landed me here where I am today - same as athletes who wash out for whatever reason - but I have very few (non-government-related) complaints about the life I ended up with just because it's not the life I'd *planned* to have.

That's good and all, but you still didn't run 4.3 or whatever you claimed you ran 8)