Author Topic: Seven or more eggs a week linked to death risk  (Read 2369 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Seven or more eggs a week linked to death risk
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24028358/wid/11915773?GT1=31037

Seven or more eggs a week linked to death risk

WASHINGTON - Middle-aged men who ate seven or more eggs a week had a higher risk of earlier death, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The study adds to an ever-growing body of evidence, much of it contradictory, about how safe eggs are to eat. It did not examine what about the eggs might affect the risk of death.

Men without diabetes could eat up to six eggs a week with no extra risk of death, Dr. Luc Djousse and Dr. J. Michael Gaziano of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School found.

"Whereas egg consumption of up to six eggs a week was not associated with the risk of all-cause mortality, consumption of (seven or more) eggs a week was associated with a 23 percent greater risk of death," they wrote.

"However, among male physicians with diabetes, any egg consumption is associated with a greater risk of all-cause mortality, and there was suggestive evidence for a greater risk of MI (heart attack) and stroke."

They urged more study in the general population.

Neither 'good' nor 'bad'
Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke.

One expert on nutrition and heart disease said the study suggests middle-aged men, at least, should watch how many eggs they eat.

"More egg on our faces? It's really hard to say at this point, but it still seems, if you're a middle-aged male physician and enjoy eggs more than once a day, that having some of the egg left on your face may be better than having it go down your gullet," said Dr. Robert Eckel of the University of Colorado and a former president of the American Heart Association.

"But, remember: eggs are like all other foods — they are neither 'good' nor 'bad,' and they can be part of an overall heart-healthy diet," Eckel wrote in a commentary.

More likely to drink, smoke
The Harvard team studied 21,327 men taking part in the much larger Physicians' Health Study, which has been watching doctors since 1981 who have agreed to report regularly on their health and lifestyle habits.

Join the discussion
  Egg lover? Sound off on the study

Over 20 years, 1,550 of the men had heart attacks, 1,342 had strokes, and more than 5,000 died.

"Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke," the researchers wrote.

But the men who ate seven eggs a week or more were 23 percent more likely to have died during the 20-year period.

Diabetic men who ate any eggs at all were twice as likely to die in the 20 years.

Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise — all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death.
:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Seven or more eggs a week linked to death risk
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:45:44 AM »
pretty sure its do the the psychology of the guys who are egg eaters, not the egg eating itself.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »
Well then, I am screwed.

RIP busyB  :'(

kukacomone

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »
Me too! :'( :D

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »
pretty sure its do the the psychology of the guys who are egg eaters, not the egg eating itself.

Why do you think that?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »
Why do you think that?
well there isnt any thing "unhealthy" about eating eggs. theres nothing in them that could harm you. at least not that i know of.   so , why would egg eaters have shorter lives? well, idk, but too me it seems that the guys who eat whole egs would probably the same guys who drink regular beer, eat the fat on the bacon, eat extra large pizzas to themselves, smoke...ect..   and the article does say soemthing along those lines

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 03:11:58 PM »
well there isnt any thing "unhealthy" about eating eggs. theres nothing in them that could harm you. at least not that i know of.   so , why would egg eaters have shorter lives? well, idk, but too me it seems that the guys who eat whole egs would probably the same guys who drink regular beer, eat the fat on the bacon, eat extra large pizzas to themselves, smoke...ect..   and the article does say soemthing along those lines

I see your point.

Studies like that one miss things: For example I'd bet those guys who ate the eggs all went to the bathroom. So i guess we could link taking a piss to a shorter life eh?  ;D

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 03:14:43 PM »
I see your point.

Studies like that one miss things: For example I'd bet those guys who ate the eggs all went to the bathroom. So i guess we could link taking a piss to a shorter life eh?  ;D
damnit you might be on to something! i had better quit drinkin so much water  :D

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:39:59 PM »
damnit you might be on to something! i had better quit drinkin so much water  :D

Or going to the bathroom.

jong_1

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »
If you're going to post something like this with a potentially misleading headline, at least present some sense of balance...

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-eggs.html

1. Eggs are great for the eyes. According to one study, an egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton due to the carotenoid content, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin. Both nutrients are more readily available to our bodies from eggs than from other sources.

2. In another study, researchers found that people who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts, also because of the lutein and zeaxanthin in eggs.

3. One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acids.

4. According to a study by the Harvard School of Public Health, there is no significant link between egg consumption and heart disease. In fact, according to one study, regular consumption of eggs may help prevent blood clots, stroke, and heart attacks.

5. They are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.

6. They contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.

7. New research shows that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. In fact, recent studies have shown that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person's lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it. Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol.

8. Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D.

9. Eggs may prevent breast cancer. In one study, women who consumed at least 6 eggs per week lowered their risk of breast cancer by 44%.

10. Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals. Many people find their hair growing faster after adding eggs to their diet, especially if they were previously deficient in foods containing sulphur or B12.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 01:53:19 AM »
Did you guys know that people who die are at high risk for being deceased?

E N A N T H A T O R

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »
My consumption of eggs=28 whites per week and 14 whole eggs per week. ;)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »
My guess is that the frequent egg-eaters were also frequent bacon-eaters, frequent sausage-eaters, frequent Dennys/IHOP patrons etc. 

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
I don't think it's something most people should worry about, but dioxins (which are extremely toxic) could explain some negative effects from overconsumption of eggs.

No acute risk though:
http://www.bfr.bund.de/cd/5967

I know some bodybuilders are pretty extreme, personally i wouldn't eat more than 1-2 yolks a day, usually i guess it's around 5 a week. I try to mix up my protein sources and i try to avoid animal fat to some extent. Most of the harmfull elements that animals eat are stored there...
$

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »
My guess is that the frequent egg-eaters were also frequent bacon-eaters, frequent sausage-eaters, frequent Dennys/IHOP patrons etc. 

If you read the report the answer is more or less there.  People reading just the title of this report might think “so eating eggs does cause heart disease!” and this report states

“Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke.”

Note the tricky and very misleading language in the above; the report is making the association to eggs which are rich in cholesterol + high levels of (serum!) cholesterol is associated with an increased rate of CVD which then leads the reader to conclude (and how could they not from the above!) that the cholesterol content of eggs = high serum cholesterol which = an increased risk of CVD. They have made a big leap there and did it so subtly that most people will miss it…

Problem is, the majority of the data does not find dietary cholesterol intakes have a major effect on serum cholesterol levels and eating eggs has not been found to increase rates of CVD…

But wait, here’s where it gets really strange and why the long lead up from me. The report states

“Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke,"

So why make the statements regarding cholesterol, CVD, and eggs, when they didn’t die from those related issues? It’s unclear, though probably due to simple bias of the researchers doing the study and crunching the numbers, but at the very end of the report they finally add up the variables the eggs were actually associated to which may explain the results of this study:

“Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise”

Hmmmm. What we appear to have here is perhaps a text book example where correlation does not = causation, and those who ate more eggs had lifestyle differences from those who ate less eggs which may be responsible for the increased death rates. The problem is, the average person is not going to see that, and reports such as this do nothing to help that fact.

The average reader is going to read this and conclude “maybe I should eat less eggs.” What they should conclude, at least from the results of this study and report is “I need to keep my bodyfat under control, drink alcohol in moderation, don’t smoke and exercise more more”

jong_1

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 03:37:11 PM »
If you read the report the answer is more or less there.  People reading just the title of this report might think “so eating eggs does cause heart disease!” and this report states

“Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke.”

Note the tricky and very misleading language in the above; the report is making the association to eggs which are rich in cholesterol + high levels of (serum!) cholesterol is associated with an increased rate of CVD which then leads the reader to conclude (and how could they not from the above!) that the cholesterol content of eggs = high serum cholesterol which = an increased risk of CVD. They have made a big leap there and did it so subtly that most people will miss it…

Problem is, the majority of the data does not find dietary cholesterol intakes have a major effect on serum cholesterol levels and eating eggs has not been found to increase rates of CVD…

But wait, here’s where it gets really strange and why the long lead up from me. The report states

“Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke,"

So why make the statements regarding cholesterol, CVD, and eggs, when they didn’t die from those related issues? It’s unclear, though probably due to simple bias of the researchers doing the study and crunching the numbers, but at the very end of the report they finally add up the variables the eggs were actually associated to which may explain the results of this study:

“Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise”

Hmmmm. What we appear to have here is perhaps a text book example where correlation does not = causation, and those who ate more eggs had lifestyle differences from those who ate less eggs which may be responsible for the increased death rates. The problem is, the average person is not going to see that, and reports such as this do nothing to help that fact.

The average reader is going to read this and conclude “maybe I should eat less eggs.” What they should conclude, at least from the results of this study and report is “I need to keep my bodyfat under control, drink alcohol in moderation, don’t smoke and exercise more more”

Enlightening and thought-filled response...thanks paisano.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »
If you read the report the answer is more or less there.  People reading just the title of this report might think “so eating eggs does cause heart disease!”

That's the problem with our society.  Too many people don't think for themselves, read the whole story or investigate things that directly impact them.
:

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »
Never believed in the eggs are bad for you myth. Although I eat less eggs now (bout 3 to 4 daily) I used to eat 6 whole eggs in he morning and 6 again at night for prob 20 years. I also used to eat a ton of redmeat although I like it lean.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »
nah your right eggs arent bad for you in fact they are one of the healthiest foods you can eat( if you get organic natural eggs, not factory eggs)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »
nah your right eggs arent bad for you in fact they are one of the healthiest foods you can eat( if you get organic natural eggs, not factory eggs)

That is what I eat now.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »
HAHA

yes..all eggs are bad...redheads...and whey protien too!

(leaves more for me)

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 07:03:17 AM »
14 whole eggs per week. ;)
Me too.

In my opinion the media will do anything to get peoples attension, even if its promoting false claims of eggs killing people..

I've heard some people say they eat 6 yolks+ a day but personally i won't go over 2, just incase there is any truth in the bullshit.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »
Eggs are almost a totally perfect food.

Tons of bodybuilders have been eating tons of eggs for tons of years with no ill effects.

Bullshit study!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »
Eggs are almost a totally perfect food.

Tons of bodybuilders have been eating tons of eggs for tons of years with no ill effects.

Bullshit study!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree
Dietry cholestrial does not really affect healthy people.
Saturated fat drives up cholestrial in healthy people.
BUT the rules change if you are a diabetic, then dietary cholestrial does affect you.
So using diabetics in a study is hardly valid for the rest of the population.