Author Topic: 87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language  (Read 3969 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: 87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 05:52:51 AM »
I believe people have every right to speak what ever language they want, but if they are to live in this country they should be required to speak passable English with no exceptions or be deported.

I have no problem with Spanish radio, tv, news papers etc..  What i have a problem with is the lack of respect immigrants, mainly Mexicans, who come to this country legally or illegally and do not learn the language.  As a result there are pubic school classes whose time is split in half to teach Spanish only speaking kids, Government agencies have to spend money on interpreters, Spanish documents, teachers etc..

It's complete fvcking bull shit.  You don't see Chinese, Russian, African immigrants not learning how to speak English.

Everyone gets 2 years to learn.  If you can't speak passable English by then, get the hell out of here.

Excellent post, and I 100% agree.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 06:12:45 AM »
I live in Thailand and previously lived in Japan - all the road signs in both places are in English.

Japan had zero English when dealing with officialdom but Thailand caters for both Thai and English pretty much.

So - my Thai never made it past getting home in a taxi, ordering food and offering to hold a beach towel while you get changed. I guess I'm not really in a place to comment... but I do find it odd going back home and hearing foreign tongues all over London, Manchester, Birmingam etc...

Up the empire !

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 06:35:56 AM »
I live in Thailand and previously lived in Japan - all the road signs in both places are in English.

Japan had zero English when dealing with officialdom but Thailand caters for both Thai and English pretty much.

So - my Thai never made it past getting home in a taxi, ordering food and offering to hold a beach towel while you get changed. I guess I'm not really in a place to comment... but I do find it odd going back home and hearing foreign tongues all over London, Manchester, Birmingam etc...

Up the empire !
You are not one of them "lady boys", are you? ;D

But yes: insane. Speak any language you like... but at least speak the language of your country of residence as well.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »
You are not one of them "lady boys", are you? ;D

But yes: insane. Speak any language you like... but at least speak the language of your country of residence as well.
When in Rome, do as the Romans, when in America and Europe, expect everybody to do as you do.