Author Topic: Who gives advice in the gym?  (Read 3324 times)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
Re: Who gives advice in the gym?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 05:58:05 AM »
I do.......and I get paid well for it :D!!

$5.35/hr is not getting paid
Here comes the money shot

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 06:02:31 AM »
Don't give advice unless asked.  ;)

Same here. I'd love to give advice to people, but too scared to jump in. Also, you never know WHY they're training that way. Could be some wacky new way to 'boost natural test levels and increase overall blood flow to muscles while maximising cardiac potential.' :)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 06:02:41 AM »
If they are working out close to you just stare at them and chuckle..that usually embarrasing them enough to move away from you.

I get the biggest chuckles from the 1/10 range of motion on the squat rack. The barbell curls is a guaranteed bust out laugh
Here comes the money shot

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 06:27:03 AM »
If you do it, make sure you start with a complimant:

"Hey man, I don't usually see people deadlifting, that's some good weight, let me show you a different way to do it that might help you get up 50 more pounds"

I learned that from AA....

That is the way to do it.  When I started out lifting, luis friatz (sic) and John Matuszack helped me out, and look at me now.  I'll sack em both.
Most are all show no go!

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2007, 06:33:07 AM »
how would the guys who are giving the advice feel if someone came up to them an gave them advice

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2007, 07:02:42 AM »
I keep on telling toxic avenger to keep his pants up while doing bent rows but he just wouldn't listen.
just push some weight!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 07:08:22 AM »
Don't give advice unless asked.  ;)
This is/should be gospel, AVBG. Just this Monday, I offered some girl, who was leg-pressing, what I thought was some good info: safety, weight, ROM. I might just have well offered to BUFU her by the reaction I got. Maybe, the people who are most in need of advice are the most resistant to it? I'll keep my trap shut next time.  :-\   

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 07:14:28 AM »
Just wondering how many people offer advice when they see someone making an arse of themselves in the gym?

I was in the gym yesterday and 2 guys came in.  One of them looked like he worked out regularly, his mate seemed to be a beginner.  They start with wide grip chins.  Only problem is, the first guy's chins were more like hanging kneee raises!  He flung his legs backwards then swung them up to give him enough momentum to just about lift his body 3 inches.  He did this for 8 shit reps!  Absolutely no back stimulation whatsoever!

Then they start overhead cable triceps extensions (I call 'em 'Rocky' extensions), but his mate can't lift the weight so ends up using a pullover movement instead, no elbow extension or triceps stimulation.

Finally, they go for seated incline db curls.  They pick up some 45lb'ers, get in position, the guy goes for his first rep, and the db's don't move, they're too heavy.  So instead of getting some lighter ones, he tells his mate to help.  So they both strain away and he gets bout 6 reps.  Then they swap places and do it again! 

(Shit this posts getting big.)  Anyway, how many people see this kind of thing everytime they go to the gym?  And how many of you go over and give them advice?

Just chuckle and shake your'e head - then go back to your'e workout... ;D
K

Steve Pulcinella

• Getbig II
  • www.ironsport.com
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 07:25:26 AM »
This is an interesting thread. I have been the owner of a gym now for 12 years and I found that no matter how tactfully I can try to be people seem generally offended when I try to help them stop nearly killing themselves in the gym. No matter that I have 28 years of experience and am only try to help. I'm always surprised when I see people shell out good money to come to my gym (or any gym) and proceed to try to just make shit up on their own totally disregarding the thousands of books written on the subject and trainers out there. I don't know shit about playing golf but I would be smart enough to study up on how to play it before joining a country club. From now on unless I see somebody about to break my equipment I don't help anyone unless they ask me to.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 07:59:24 AM »
Just wondering how many people offer advice when they see someone making an arse of themselves in the gym?

I was in the gym yesterday and 2 guys came in.  One of them looked like he worked out regularly, his mate seemed to be a beginner.  They start with wide grip chins.  Only problem is, the first guy's chins were more like hanging kneee raises!  He flung his legs backwards then swung them up to give him enough momentum to just about lift his body 3 inches.  He did this for 8 shit reps!  Absolutely no back stimulation whatsoever!

Then they start overhead cable triceps extensions (I call 'em 'Rocky' extensions), but his mate can't lift the weight so ends up using a pullover movement instead, no elbow extension or triceps stimulation.

Finally, they go for seated incline db curls.  They pick up some 45lb'ers, get in position, the guy goes for his first rep, and the db's don't move, they're too heavy.  So instead of getting some lighter ones, he tells his mate to help.  So they both strain away and he gets bout 6 reps.  Then they swap places and do it again! 

(Shit this posts getting big.)  Anyway, how many people see this kind of thing everytime they go to the gym?  And how many of you go over and give them advice?
Absolutely not. Its not my place to say and i'm far too busy taking care of my own needs rather then to worry about someone else's BS.

PB

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 08:09:37 AM »