Author Topic: American sports tycoons to buy Liverpool FC  (Read 2902 times)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
American sports tycoons to buy Liverpool FC
« on: February 02, 2007, 08:29:19 AM »
Well it's better than the bloody arabs buying such a great, historic team

US dream team set to reign at Anfield
Oliver Kay

The proposed takeover of Liverpool by George Gillett Jr is being backed by another American sports tycoon, Tom Hicks, it emerged last night. The Americans, owners of rival National Hockey League franchises, are expected in Merseyside on Monday to announce details of an offer that is expected to result in them taking control at Anfield within weeks.
Gillett’s original bid was rejected in early December, when the Liverpool board was committed to securing a deal with Dubai International Capital (DIC), but his success in landing Hicks as a running partner has been vital in persuading the club to consider a revised offer.

The pair are preparing to commit £215 million to finance the construction of a new stadium and a further £80 million to write off the club’s debts, with the total package valued at £475 million.

Significantly, Hicks, who owns the Texas Rangers baseball club as well as the Dallas Stars ice hockey franchise, also has experience in construction and stadium development, an attractive prospect for Liverpool, who are eager to start work on their proposed 60,000-capacity home in Stanley Park next month.

Having advocated sharing the new stadium with Everton in his original offer, Gillett, owner of the Montreal Canadiens NHL club, has given a written guarantee to Liverpool’s board that this plan has been abandoned.

The impending deal would result in Gillett and Hicks becoming the third American owners of a Barclays Premiership club since the summer of 2005. The Glazer family’s takeover of Manchester United was highly controversial, but it was Randy Lerner’s buyout of Aston Villa in August that prompted Gillett and Hicks to bid for Liverpool.

Rick Parry, the Liverpool chief executive, and David Moores, the chairman, have been criticised by some supporters over their handling of the saga, which came to a head on Wednesday when DIC withdrew their takeover proposal, accusing the club of acting dishonourably. However, Parry and Moores, who are expected to remain at the club under the new regime, believe that fans should trust them to make the right decision for the club’s future.

“The overriding message is ‘don’t worry,’ ” Parry said yesterday. “Whatever decision is finally taken will be done in the best interests of Liverpool Football Club. We would also stress this is not a question of going for the second choice. David has always given George Gillett serious consideration.

“George Gillett has made it absolutely clear to us that he will not be in favour of a ground-share. There will be funding for the new stadium and a proper commitment to investment in the team.

“Be assured the only thing David Moores is concerned about is the club being in the right hands for the future. You can be certain he has done his homework carefully and will make a decision in the best interests of the club.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,428-2580075,00.html

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
Re: American sports tycoons to buy Liverpool FC
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »
this really fucked me off, the Dubai bid was good enough to see the club financially secure. Fuck these American buyouts, they have no passion for the club or the sport.
Scouser on Tour

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 08:44:58 AM »
this really fucked me off, the Dubai bid was good enough to see the club financially secure. f**k these American buyouts, they have no passion for the club or the sport.

So was the arab bid popular amongst Liverpool fans? I don't know man, a great club like Liverpool in the hands of muslims doesn't seem right to me  :-\

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:14:49 AM »
this really fucked me off, the Dubai bid was good enough to see the club financially secure. f**k these American buyouts, they have no passion for the club or the sport.

No, but we have a passion for MONEY. Badabing baby!!!!

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »
i dont want my club put in the hands of people looking to make a quick profit. Look at Leeds, the mismanagement there has destroyed one of the very best British teams of the modern era and slapped them all the way down to the bottom of the Championship. Saying that, we got harry kewell for a fucking steal! ha ha

Sorry mate, i know it must hurt but your club is fucked. They should do what wimbledon did, although MK Dons are a pile of shit aswell

Were the most successful club in Britain for a reason, i dont want to lose that
Scouser on Tour

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »
i dont want my club put in the hands of people looking to make a quick profit. Look at Leeds, the mismanagement there has destroyed one of the very best British teams of the modern era and slapped them all the way down to the bottom of the Championship. Saying that, we got harry kewell for a fucking steal! ha ha

Sorry mate, i know it must hurt but your club is fucked. They should do what wimbledon did, although MK Dons are a pile of shit aswell

Were the most successful club in Britain for a reason, i dont want to lose that

Glazer was able to buy ManUnited without having a solid economy.

Now he's using ManU to clear his debts, only looking to make a profit from the club.

Look for ManU to be away from the top-3 in the next 2-3 years.

Arsenal was able to get through the tough times, and with their new stadium their finally able to hang with the big boys financially. Look for Arsenal and Wenger to scope up a bunch of new talent, out of France primarily, but wouldn't be surprised to see some young Brazilian coming there.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise