Author Topic: Chaos/Chucka - get well  (Read 34241 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Chaos - Dog of The Month - August
« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2007, 08:23:06 AM »
We will see what happens at 8 in the morning when we pick up Chucka.

R

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2007, 08:52:05 AM »
DAMN

just do what you think is right

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2007, 09:56:27 AM »
whats the good word Sin?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »
Sin so sorry to hear this man.........wish all the best to you and your family

:-\

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2007, 01:52:01 PM »
Well so Chucka is stable to say the least, still minor vomiting and a lil puking. He is in his dog house in the kennel with a cone until 7 tonight when we take him back to the vet for some more fluids. Then at 8 in the morning he takes a ride in the truck to the vet hospital where Chaos is for some better help. They might need surgery if they both have blockages. I guess we will wait until in the morning and find out. There is not much more that we will know until tomorrow when they both get seen by the vet who has some brains.....

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »
Well so Chucka is stable to say the least, still minor vomiting and a lil puking. He is in his dog house in the kennel with a cone until 7 tonight when we take him back to the vet for some more fluids. Then at 8 in the morning he takes a ride in the truck to the vet hospital where Chaos is for some better help. They might need surgery if they both have blockages. I guess we will wait until in the morning and find out. There is not much more that we will know until tomorrow when they both get seen by the vet who has some brains.....
SinCity, so sorry you are all going through this.....

Found this that you may want to read:
(from infovets.com)

Introduction: Vomiting is very common in dogs and is one of the classical symptoms of digestive system problems. However, digestive tract trouble is not the only cause of vomiting. Many disorders of the endocrine system, urinary tract, nervous system, reproductive tract, and the body’s metabolism can also lead to a vomiting problem. Many dogs vomit occasionally with no adverse effects; however, uncontrollable vomiting can become an emergency situation and must be carefully assessed. Types of vomiting that may be serious are discussed below.

Causative Agents: Some of the more common causes of vomiting include ingestion of grass or other substances that are indigestible and irritating to the stomach, overeating (especially if immediately followed by heavy exercise), and motion sickness. Infectious parasites, viruses, bacteria, and some problems with the internal organs of the body may also cause a dog to vomit. Certain drugs and toxic substances will cause vomiting if ingested. These include the following:

Insecticides
Pesticides
Cleaning agents (drinking from the toilet bowl)
Antifreeze (Ethylene glycol)
Lead
Zinc
Arsenic compounds
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) - such as aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol), and ibuprofen

If a dog has ingested any type of poisonous substance, contact a veterinarian immediately. Inducing the dog to vomit the poisonous substance may save its life. However, it is important to note that some poisonous substances are more harmful if the animal vomits them. Reading the product label will help a pet owner know if it is safe to force the pet to vomit.

The following can be given at home to induce vomiting in a pet:

Hydrogen peroxide - 1-3 teaspoons orally every 10 minutes, followed by gently rocking the dog back and forth or jostling the abdomen for several minutes; repeat 3-5 times if necessary.
Ipecac - 1 teaspoon orally per 10 lbs. of body weight.

Clinical Signs: Vomiting refers to the forceful expulsion of stomach contents through the mouth. Vomit may contain: food in various stages of digestion, bile (a brown, green, or yellow-colored, rather sticky liquid), blood, or any combination of these three. Types of vomiting that may indicate a more serious problem and would certainly warrant professional assistance include

Regurgitation: Regurgitation is actually not true vomiting; it is more passive in nature. The food is often expelled undigested and possibly shaped like a tube or cylinder. Violent abdominal heaving is usually absent. Regurgitation can occur with a blockage in the upper digestive tract or a problem with the animal’s ability to swallow.
Continuous vomiting: The dog first empties its stomach of food, then begins to vomit foamy yellow or clear fluid. Vomiting which does not stop within a couple of hours is considered continuous. This situation often indicates stomach irritation.
Hacking/vomiting: Vomiting is usually preceded by a coughing or hacking fit. The vomit may contain food or stomach juices. This type of vomiting is usually secondary to a respiratory problem in which a coughing or hacking fit becomes severe enough to lead to vomiting. Some dogs seem more susceptible to this condition than others. Please see page E122 for additional information on coughing.

Chronic vomiting: Vomiting occurs now and then, is not predictable or constant, but continues over a period of weeks to months. It may or may not be associated with eating. Other symptoms of chronic illness may also be noted such as weight loss, poor appetite, and a general lack of energy. Kidney and liver disease, diabetes, and cancer are some of the more serious possible problems. Untreated parasite infections are also a possible cause of chronic vomiting.

Projectile vomiting: Vomiting is unusually forceful, and stomach contents are often expelled a long distance. This type of vomiting is suggestive of a complete blockage in the digestive tract such as some type of ingested object, a tumor, or scar tissue in the digestive tract lining.

Vomiting blood: Fresh blood in the vomit indicates that damage has occurred to the internal lining of the upper digestive tract. Bleeding ulcers, foreign objects, and tumors all have the potential to cause an animal to vomit blood. Certain types of drugs may also cause bleeding from the stomach.

Vomiting stool: Vomit which looks and smells like a bowel movement usually indicates an extremely serious, life-threatening situation. Complete blockage of the lower intestines and severe trauma to the digestive tract are often suspected. Consider this symptom an emergency!

Vomiting in conjunction with neurologic symptoms: Vomiting in an animal experiencing frequent seizures, paralysis, or balance problems (circling, rolling, head tilting), is probably related to a neurologic problem. Correction of the primary neurologic problem will likely correct the secondary vomiting problem.

Diagnosis: Diagnosing the cause of vomiting may or may not be easy, depending on the state of the animal when presented to the veterinarian. Coupled with a physical examination, a thorough history on the dog is essential in deter-mining the cause of vomiting. The doctor may elect to approach the situation conservatively with a temporary restriction in food and water intake. Diagnostic testing such as radiographs and bloodwork may be advised in other cases. More invasive diagnostics such as endoscopy (a camera on the end of a fiber-optic tube placed inside the animal’s digestive tract), contrast-enhanced radiography (dye placed inside the animal’s digestive tract and the progress of the dye is followed with the help of radiographs), fluoroscopy (a moving radiograph), or surgery may be necessary if the diagnosis is especially difficult to make. See Section D for additional information on these tests.

Treatment: Specific treatments for vomiting are based on the exact cause. Treatment of the primary cause is necessary to stop the vomiting and may include dietary changes, counter-acting poison or drug intoxication, insulin therapy, antibiotic therapy, electrolyte replacement, deworming, anti-inflammatory therapy, fluid therapy, and/or surgery. Supportive care to correct the adverse effects of vomiting include fluid therapy, anti-emetic therapy (specific drugs which stop vomiting), electrolyte replacement, and proper nourishment.

R

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2007, 07:38:12 PM »
Sin,

i hope you little guys are both doing better. I know how it feels to dump a ton of cash into them. Its all worth it and if you ask many vets will set you up on a payment plan.
X

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2007, 08:57:55 AM »
This is bizarre. Do either of them eat rawhide or something that could cause the blockage?

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
Well I have updates that I will get ot later.. Not good nor are they bad.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »

That would be really odd that they both have blockages?  Unless they both happened to eat part of the same item?

Addie just had regular Xrays for her suspected (and correct) blockage. It showed that gas was backed up in her, and the one taken the next day showed the gas still there so it was a pretty good indicator of a blockage. Her intestines were still healthy in her case, so the blockage was probably not 100%, a small amount of stuff could pass, so she did not lose any of her intestines, a BIG concern with obstructions. 

At this point, if they suspect an obstruction they should go in and find out!!

What blood work has been done and what does it show? 

Any possibility of a poisoning or chemical ingestion? 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »

That would be really odd that they both have blockages?  Unless they both happened to eat part of the same item?

Addie just had regular Xrays for her suspected (and correct) blockage. It showed that gas was backed up in her, and the one taken the next day showed the gas still there so it was a pretty good indicator of a blockage. Her intestines were still healthy in her case, so the blockage was probably not 100%, a small amount of stuff could pass, so she did not lose any of her intestines, a BIG concern with obstructions. 

At this point, if they suspect an obstruction they should go in and find out!!

What blood work has been done and what does it show? 

Any possibility of a poisoning or chemical ingestion? 

Okay here is the deal, they have had Chaos since Friday, he is doing much better. They were worried about a blockage but he has eaten for the last 48 hours without any puking or diareha. He however has taken on more complications. The vet that was seeing him was giving him the big camel hump with fluids. Well they didn't take all the way and it has caused all of the skin to become dead and rotten. So when I went to see my baby today all of his left side was opened up flesh.. The vet says its not a big deal. Just a drain tube and some stiches. I might be trying to sue the other vet for hospital costs. I am not sure if I have a case or not. We are getting close to the 3,000 dollar mark. Chaos is however in great spirits jumping around, I took him for a walk and he didnt quit giving me kisses. He seems doing much better. Chucka is now at the vet for a short stay until he can keep down some food as well. Fingers are still crossed. I might just have to go and shoot out the windows at the other pet clinic to get even money.... I'll have to creep out the house and pull a comando... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »
That is horrible!!!!    :o  Not a big deal?   His body is obviously dealing with something else and it is a big deal that is also has to expend energy on trying to heal this while dealing with whatever else is going on!!   

That IS a big deal!!  It will affect him overall, at the very minimum slow down his recovery and at the very worst impede it completely. 

I would call up the original vet and make them aware of what has transpired and make them aware you make be taking action against them but are waiting for the final outcome of this. 

Glad to hear that Chuka is doing good and Chaos is doing better. 

Don't do any damage to the clinic though, other animals could get hurt. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2007, 12:14:07 PM »
That is horrible!!!!    :o  Not a big deal?   His body is obviously dealing with something else and it is a big deal that is also has to expend energy on trying to heal this while dealing with whatever else is going on!!   

That IS a big deal!!  It will affect him overall, at the very minimum slow down his recovery and at the very worst impede it completely. 

I would call up the original vet and make them aware of what has transpired and make them aware you make be taking action against them but are waiting for the final outcome of this. 

Glad to hear that Chuka is doing good and Chaos is doing better. 

Don't do any damage to the clinic though, other animals could get hurt. 

I am to old to be doing childish things it just seems like fair payback.. And the front window is a waiting area, no animals near it...

I know that it is a big deal, what I should have put is I thought Chaos was going to die from it. The new Vet informed me that it wasn't that serious and that he will heal fine.. Minus the scarring.. He was very hyper today and has back his energy which lowers my worry factor... Now I just need to get them both home.. Who would you contact about suing a vet...

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »
  Who would you contact about suing a vet...

get a statement from the second vet

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »
get a statement from the second vet

The funny thing is the Vet kept hinting that it was cause by the other Vet. He wouldn't just come out and say it, but he did mention it as a possibility. I asked what else could've caused it and he stated maybe a bug bite maybe a cut and it getting infected. But it couldn't be any of the what if's. As much as we rub on our dogs and kiss on them we would have found a bug bite or a cut. GURANTEED. I wonder if there is a code of conduct amongst Vets as strange as it sounds. No conspiracy theories just thinking that maybe up here that is how it works. When I called the Critical care unit that helped out with Chucka they told me that the vet was doing the right thing with giving Chaos fluids and to let that Vet just keep helping him. If I would've done that my dogs would've been dead... VERY FRUSTERATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2007, 12:36:22 PM »
OMG!!! I am just dying here reading all this.  My heart goes out to you Sin and your babies.   :'(
:D Weee

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2007, 12:47:03 PM »
The funny thing is the Vet kept hinting that it was cause by the other Vet.

the mere mention of a court action combined with a statement from the second vet when you serve the emergency vet with a subpoena may get a chunk off the bill just so the emergency vet doesn't have to take the time (and time is money) to appear in court

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #267 on: September 04, 2007, 12:54:33 PM »
the mere mention of a court action combined with a statement from the second vet when you serve the emergency vet with a subpoena may get a chunk off the bill just so the emergency vet doesn't have to take the time (and time is money) to appear in court

It's not the ER Vet that I am wanting to sue. It's the original Vet that just kep sending Chaos home with us everyday. She is also the one responsible for giving Chaos the fluids that rotted his side off. Or so it seems. She took us for 400-500 dollars and didn't do shit in my opinion. I just don't know where to start. I don't want to call her and talk quite yet cause I will freak out on her.. I don't think that she deserves her license. She didn't do a fucking thing to help my dog. She actually made him sicker..

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2007, 01:06:38 PM »
It's not the ER Vet that I am wanting to sue. It's the original Vet that just kep sending Chaos home with us everyday. She is also the one responsible for giving Chaos the fluids that rotted his side off. Or so it seems. She took us for 400-500 dollars and didn't do shit in my opinion. I just don't know where to start. I don't want to call her and talk quite yet cause I will freak out on her.. I don't think that she deserves her license. She didn't do a fucking thing to help my dog. She actually made him sicker..
Sin, focus on getting your babies healthy again.  You will have plenty of time to go after the vet when your two darlings are home and healthy.
:D Weee

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2007, 01:28:55 PM »
I just don't know where to start.

get all your paper work in order (from both vets) and go down to the courthouse in town there and tell the clerk you wanna file an action in small claims court,you'll probably have to go to the office and serve the summons to appear personally,I'm sure if ya tell the vet you're seeking a judgment against what you've got as far as a statement from the second vet you'll get his or her undivided attention and maybe they'll cut ya a deal right then and there.......if not they'll have to appear and fight it......

collecting the money is another story but no business wants a civil judgement on thier record so that'll be their incentive to pay it off if ya win

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #270 on: September 04, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »
If you paid with a credit card I would call the CC company and ask them to dispute the charges pending legal action. If the docters office calls you about the payment tell them you are looking into legal action against them. Sometimes all you need to do is threaten a little, its worked for me before!
X

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #271 on: September 04, 2007, 01:59:04 PM »

Yup.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #272 on: September 04, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
Vet can you call me on the work number I had sent over to you. If you get a second... Thank you very much.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #273 on: September 04, 2007, 02:14:32 PM »
Well shit.. I wrote two pages of answers for SCSG's concerns and they've disappeared.....    >:(  Dammit...

In an nutshell, yes there is an unwritten code of conduct and ethics in the veterinary profession, much like what there is in any other profession, including human medicine.   This code of conduct does not include protecting veterinarians who are willfully negligent in the treatment of their patients, however, it does include NOT libelizing other veterinarians.   SCSG, I've talked with you about this case over the telephone and tried to be as direct as I can about what youve told me.  I've also been as honest as I can about things that I can't determine a cause of because I haven't seen your dogs as one of my patients.   Does that make sense?  

there are legal actions that can be done against the veterinarian who is  in question.  Lawsuits aren't always the best way to go because you will always have to pay the lawyers.  Do as Geo said, get things lined up and then consider talking to the state medical board.  Every state has a state board of veterinary medical examiners, who's function is to regulate the licenses of veterinarins within that state.  You can get contact information from here: http://www.bovm.state.id.us/.  

There will be an inquirery into the legality of what has been performed.   From the beginning make it clear that you will be seeking medical reimbursement in the event of a finding of negligence, EVEN IF it requires legal action.  Often times this alone will lead to an out of court settlement.  

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #274 on: September 04, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »
Vet can you call me on the work number I had sent over to you. If you get a second... Thank you very much.

Give me a couple of minutes.  I've got to get my snapping turtle out of the bathtub in 4 minutes.