Author Topic: Chaos/Chucka - get well  (Read 34240 times)

temper35

• Getbig III
Re: Chaos - Dog of The Month - August
« Reply #275 on: September 04, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
Chaos will pull through.  HEART OF A PITBULL!!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2007, 09:05:11 AM »
Here is an updated picture of Chaos he is really skinny and you can see how much they had to take out of him. It runs the lenght of the bandage. It is quite large and he is so skinny. It makes me sick. But he might come home today and we will begin beefing him back up by next week... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2007, 09:34:55 AM »

:o    Poor baby!!!!     I bet he will be glad to get home!

So what the hell was the final diagnosis with them? 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »
wow....thats sad

I would be pissed if I were you too

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2007, 09:53:23 AM »
There never has been a final. They just know what made Chaos better.... Fluids (IV) anti-vomiting and anti-biodics... Other then that no final word. His white blood cells were low. Other then that no idea, no Parvo, no blockage..??????

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #280 on: September 05, 2007, 09:55:08 AM »
There never has been a final. They just know what made Chaos better.... Fluids (IV) anti-vomiting and anti-biodics... Other then that no final word. His white blood cells were low. Other then that no idea, no Parvo, no blockage..??????

Did  you talk with them about salmonella and other bacterial causes? 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #281 on: September 05, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »
I did. The vet wasn't to sure about it being a possibility. He didn't test for it, but he said he didn't think that salmonella would show up with low white blood cell counts. He stated he believed it was more of a virus..??? Or GI tract infection..

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »
I did. The vet wasn't to sure about it being a possibility. He didn't test for it, but he said he didn't think that salmonella would show up with low white blood cell counts. He stated he believed it was more of a virus..??? Or GI tract infection..

No, neutropenia (low neutrophil count, and resultant low white cell count) is a hallmark sign of salmonella in all mammelian species (especially herbivores like horses).   Reptiles may show elevated or decreased white cellcounts with systemic salmonella.   

The thing is that it may be too late at this point to diagnose salmonella because he's getting better.  Culture requres paired fecal cultures seperated by at least 12, ideally 24 hours.   The question is where did they get exposure to it.....   

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #283 on: September 05, 2007, 10:25:01 AM »
Possibly an animal they might have killed in the back yard.. That is the only thing that I can guess. But I looked under the deck the only place that isn't visible and I didn't find anything???

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #284 on: September 05, 2007, 10:32:03 AM »
Possibly an animal they might have killed in the back yard.. That is the only thing that I can guess. But I looked under the deck the only place that isn't visible and I didn't find anything???

Its kind of a retrospective shot in the dark...   

The bottom line is the dogs are getting better and they are coming home. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #285 on: September 05, 2007, 10:37:44 AM »
Damn straigh I can't sleep very well at night with out their big asses on the bed. I can however move but after 4 moths of not being able to it doesn't fill right... I can't wait to just be able to lay down and watch a movie and have them all in my way... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
Damn straigh I can't sleep very well at night with out their big asses on the bed. I can however move but after 4 moths of not being able to it doesn't fill right... I can't wait to just be able to lay down and watch a movie and have them all in my way... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
We are awaiting that for you Sin.   :)
:D Weee

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2007, 10:52:03 AM »

The bottom line is the dogs are getting better and they are coming home. 

:D !!!
R

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »
POOR BABIES. 

I am so glad to hear that they are getting better and coming home though. 

:)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
POOR BABIES. 

I am so glad to hear that they are getting better and coming home though. 

Chaos was wondering where the hell you had been Rip he thought you forgot about him. ;) Yeah he should be home soon. I am calling in about 15 minutes to talk to the vet and see what he says.. Ill post an update after that.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2007, 11:13:38 AM »
Chaos was wondering where the hell you had been Rip he thought you forgot about him. ;) Yeah he should be home soon. I am calling in about 15 minutes to talk to the vet and see what he says.. Ill post an update after that.

I've been reading along and checking for updates at least a few times a day!!   
Tell Chaos and Chuka that they have both been in my thoughts, and give them more kisses for me!!

:-* :-* :-* :-*

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2007, 03:30:06 PM »
The thing is that it may be too late at this point to diagnose salmonella because he's getting better.  Culture requres paired fecal cultures seperated by at least 12, ideally 24 hours.   The question is where did they get exposure to it.....   

Their kibble?  Kibble has caused a lot of deaths and problems because of being tainted and contaminated.  Since both dogs came down with something I would look into the food being a possible source of the problem.   :-\

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
Their kibble?  Kibble has caused a lot of deaths and problems because of being tainted and contaminated.  Since both dogs came down with something I would look into the food being a possible source of the problem.   :-\

We havent changed their food in quite a while. Has pedigree had a recall.

Well Chaos is coming home today. He will have a drain tube in place.. But that comes out on Friday and Chucka is coming home tomorrow if things go as planned. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Vet I found out that there was no dextrose injected, the other Vet is saying that it was sodium chloride, Serinia ( a new anti vomiting drug) b-12 and Penacilin. What would've caused the skin to be cut off from that any ideas.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »

I'd think E.Coli before salmonella just based on the nature of the bacteria if it was a dry food.   If I'm not mistaken the moist food contamination issues were also all E. coli.  

I guess technically you could get salmonella (or e.coli) from a knucklebone type chew too.  

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
We havent changed their food in quite a while. Has pedigree had a recall.

Well Chaos is coming home today. He will have a drain tube in place.. But that comes out on Friday and Chucka is coming home tomorrow if things go as planned. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Vet I found out that there was no dextrose injected, the other Vet is saying that it was sodium chloride, Serinia ( a new anti vomiting drug) b-12 and Penacilin. What would've caused the skin to be cut off from that any ideas.

Per teh drug label Cerenia (maropitant citrate) can cause localized allergic reactions.   I'll be honest, I've got very little experience with this drug, so I can only speak from label information.  The simple act of giving SQ fluids to a septic dog can predispose for skin necrosis---like what we talked about on the phone. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2007, 05:20:51 PM »
I guess technically you could get salmonella (or e.coli) from a knucklebone type chew too. 

But just because a dog tests positive for salmonella doesn't mean they are having a problem with it.   Chances are if you tested my dogs feces over time they would probably test positive for salmonella.  The same has been shown with kibble dogs.  They have done raw diet studies with big cats that showed salmonella all over and none of the cats had a problem.   Salmonella is a bigger hazard to people than animals.

Anti raw people have loved to show these studies pointing out the testing of positive for salmonella.  They conveniently leave out the conclusions, however, that the animals were fine, and that people should practice proper handling and clean up for themselves. 

The big salmonella scare!!    ::)  Unless you are going to pick up dog shit with your hands and then lick your fingers   :-X, and if you can manage to properly handle meat for your family, it is not usually a problem.   I say usually because if their is a severely immunocompromised person in the household extra precautions should be taken.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »

But just because a dog tests positive for salmonella doesn't mean they are having a problem with it.   Chances are if you tested my dogs feces over time they would probably test positive for salmonella.  The same has been shown with kibble dogs.  They have done raw diet studies with big cats that showed salmonella all over and none of the cats had a problem.   Salmonella is a bigger hazard to people than animals.

Anti raw people have loved to show these studies pointing out the testing of positive for salmonella.  They conveniently leave out the conclusions, however, that the animals were fine, and that people should practice proper handling and clean up for themselves. 

The big salmonella scare!!    ::)  Unless you are going to pick up dog shit with your hands and then lick your fingers   :-X, and if you can manage to properly handle meat for your family, it is not usually a problem.   I say usually because if their is a severely immunocompromised person in the household extra precautions should be taken.

LOL.  I've had salmonella.  Its not a fun disease.  You feel like you are shitting your life out your asshole and then you smell it and puke what's left. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »
LOL.  I've had salmonella.  Its not a fun disease.  You feel like you are shitting your life out your asshole and then you smell it and puke what's left. 

:o

:-[

:-\

:-X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2007, 04:38:53 PM »

You had licked your fingers prior to that dincha?
     :-X

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Chaos/Chucka - get well
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2007, 10:09:12 AM »
I don't want to take the thunder for Reese being dog of the month for september...so I changed this topic as a get well thread for Chaos.

I really would like to keep this pinned till he & Chucka are back on their paws 100%