Author Topic: DIET COKE raise the insulin level!?  (Read 1775 times)

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
DIET COKE raise the insulin level!?
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:25:06 AM »
I heard this unbilievable statemente from a bber yesterday.
According to this guy, even artificial sweet(Like aspartame) can raise the insulin level because of its high gricemic number. And the body try to absorb more carb than normal(even more than sugar!).

Paco will say it "No way!".

How do you guys think?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: DIET COKE raise the insulin level!?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 06:25:50 AM »
According to this guy, even artificial sweet(Like aspartame) can raise the insulin level because of its high gricemic number. And the body try to absorb more carb than normal(even more than sugar!).

How do you guys think?
Drink up ;D

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:27:39 AM »
It'll eat up you stomach anyway
Acidy stuff

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:28:54 AM »

How do you guys think?

does Paco drink coke light? how may cans does he go on a typical day?

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:30:04 AM »
does Paco drink coke light? how may cans does he go on a typical day?
In winter 2.
Now 4.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 06:31:03 AM »

How do you guys think?

...not if you are a Samurai warrior....

THG approved
I hate the State.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 06:33:25 AM »

How do you guys think?

Why don't you do a google search?

The potential slight insulin boost is of no consequence IMO. Don't worry about it.

An artificial sweetener with practically no calories doesn't have a GI. How could it if there's no carbs in it?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 06:35:01 AM »

How do you guys think?
Disgusted noted this a while back. Maybe look up that post?

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 06:39:07 AM »
Why don't you do a google search?

The potential slight insulin boost is of no consequence IMO. Don't worry about it.

An artificial sweetener with practically no calories doesn't have a GI. How could it if there's no carbs in it?
Thats what I am thinking.
But, according to him, the insulin sensitivity raises with our brain reaccion. WTF!?

Tatyana

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 06:42:48 AM »
No

1: Physiol Behav. 1995 Jun;57(6):1089-95.Related Articles, Links
Sweet taste: effect on cephalic phase insulin release in men.

Teff KL, Devine J, Engelman K.

Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

To determine whether sweet-tasting solutions are effective elicitors of cephalic phase insulin release (CPIR) in humans, two studies were conducted using nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners as stimuli.

Normal weight men sipped and spit four different solutions: water, aspartame, saccharin, and sucrose. A fifth condition involved a modified sham-feed with apple pie. The five stimuli were administered in counterbalanced order, each on a separate day. In study 1, subjects tasted the stimuli for 1 min (n = 15) and in study 2 (n = 16), they tasted the stimuli for 3 min. Arterialized venous blood was drawn to establish a baseline and then at 1 min poststimulus, followed by every 2 min for 15 min and then every 5 min for 15 min. In both study 1 and study 2, no significant increases in plasma insulin were observed after subjects tasted the sweetened solutions. In contrast, significant increases in plasma insulin occurred after the modified sham-feed with both the 1 min and 3 min exposure. These results suggest that nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners in solution are not adequate stimuli for the elicitation of CPIR.

1: Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Mar;65(3):737-43. Links
Cephalic phase responses to sweet taste.Abdallah L, Chabert M, Louis-Sylvestre J.
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie de la Nutrition, Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris, France.

The sweet taste of nonnutritive sweeteners has been reported to increase hunger and food intake through the mechanism of cephalic-phase insulin release (CPIR). We investigated the effect of oral sensation of sweetness on CPIR and other indexes associated with glucose metabolism using nutritive and nonnutritive sweetened tablets as stimuli. At lunchtime, 12 normal-weight men sucked for 5 min a sucrose, an aspartame-polydextrose, or an unsweetened polydextrose tablet (3 g) with no added flavor. The three stimuli were administered in a counterbalanced order, each on a separate day at 1-wk intervals. Blood was drawn continuously for 45 min before and 25 min after the beginning of sucking and samples were collected at 1-min intervals. Spontaneous oscillations in glucose, insulin, and glucagon concentrations were assessed as were increments (slopes) of fatty acid concentrations during the baseline period. The nature of the baseline (oscillations: glucose, insulin, and glucagon; and slopes: fatty acids) was taken into account in the analyses of postexposure events. No CPIR and no significant effect on plasma glucagon or fatty acid concentrations were observed after the three stimuli. However, there was a significant decrease in plasma glucose and insulin after all three stimuli.

Only the consumption of the sucrose tablet was followed by a postabsorptive increase in plasma glucose and insulin concentrations starting 17 and 19 min, respectively, after the beginning of sucking.

In conclusion, this study suggested that oral stimulation provided by sweet nonflavored tablets is not sufficient for inducing CPIR.

PMID: 9062523 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:47:48 AM »
No

1: Physiol Behav. 1995 Jun;57(6):1089-95.Related Articles, Links
Sweet taste: effect on cephalic phase insulin release in men.

Teff KL, Devine J, Engelman K.

Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

To determine whether sweet-tasting solutions are effective elicitors of cephalic phase insulin release (CPIR) in humans, two studies were conducted using nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners as stimuli.

Normal weight men sipped and spit four different solutions: water, aspartame, saccharin, and sucrose. A fifth condition involved a modified sham-feed with apple pie. The five stimuli were administered in counterbalanced order, each on a separate day. In study 1, subjects tasted the stimuli for 1 min (n = 15) and in study 2 (n = 16), they tasted the stimuli for 3 min. Arterialized venous blood was drawn to establish a baseline and then at 1 min poststimulus, followed by every 2 min for 15 min and then every 5 min for 15 min. In both study 1 and study 2, no significant increases in plasma insulin were observed after subjects tasted the sweetened solutions. In contrast, significant increases in plasma insulin occurred after the modified sham-feed with both the 1 min and 3 min exposure. These results suggest that nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners in solution are not adequate stimuli for the elicitation of CPIR.

1: Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Mar;65(3):737-43. Links
Cephalic phase responses to sweet taste.Abdallah L, Chabert M, Louis-Sylvestre J.
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie de la Nutrition, Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris, France.

The sweet taste of nonnutritive sweeteners has been reported to increase hunger and food intake through the mechanism of cephalic-phase insulin release (CPIR). We investigated the effect of oral sensation of sweetness on CPIR and other indexes associated with glucose metabolism using nutritive and nonnutritive sweetened tablets as stimuli. At lunchtime, 12 normal-weight men sucked for 5 min a sucrose, an aspartame-polydextrose, or an unsweetened polydextrose tablet (3 g) with no added flavor. The three stimuli were administered in a counterbalanced order, each on a separate day at 1-wk intervals. Blood was drawn continuously for 45 min before and 25 min after the beginning of sucking and samples were collected at 1-min intervals. Spontaneous oscillations in glucose, insulin, and glucagon concentrations were assessed as were increments (slopes) of fatty acid concentrations during the baseline period. The nature of the baseline (oscillations: glucose, insulin, and glucagon; and slopes: fatty acids) was taken into account in the analyses of postexposure events. No CPIR and no significant effect on plasma glucagon or fatty acid concentrations were observed after the three stimuli. However, there was a significant decrease in plasma glucose and insulin after all three stimuli.

Only the consumption of the sucrose tablet was followed by a postabsorptive increase in plasma glucose and insulin concentrations starting 17 and 19 min, respectively, after the beginning of sucking.

In conclusion, this study suggested that oral stimulation provided by sweet nonflavored tablets is not sufficient for inducing CPIR.

PMID: 9062523 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thank you very much. Now I drink Diet Pepsi with ease! ;D

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 06:47:55 AM »
Acidy stuff

not if you have it with greasy food at 2am after a night of partying, acohol and drug abuse
I

seste

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 07:31:07 AM »

How do you guys think?

by the way,dave palumbo said drinking diet soda with caffeine in it will make something exhausted if you drink it every day or similiar and it will start releasing cortisol and will in that way make you fat even without any calories in it.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 07:33:21 AM »
by the way,dave palumbo said drinking diet soda with caffeine in it will make something exhausted if you drink it every day or similiar and it will start releasing cortison and will in that way make you fat even without any calories in it.
No shit! :o

seste

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »
No shit! :o

Found it:

Dave, I read in the MD with Louie on it something about Diet Coke that worried me. You always said drink as much as you want (which I do) and it's fine. I think it was Durand (but haven't got time to flick through the mag to double check) and he sai the problem with diet coke is the caffiene and once you have drunk it for a few days your adrenal glands dump too much and they are exhausted which in turn makes the body release cortisol. This he says is the reason that even though it has no calories it still makes you fat.

Thoughts??? BS or some truth to it?

Answer from Dave:this is why I never advocate stimulants. This is correct. But remember there are tons of diet sodas out there with no caffeine.

I find it by the way impossible in Sweden atleast to find diet-soda without any caffeine..

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 08:02:36 AM »
Found it:

Dave, I read in the MD with Louie on it something about Diet Coke that worried me. You always said drink as much as you want (which I do) and it's fine. I think it was Durand (but haven't got time to flick through the mag to double check) and he sai the problem with diet coke is the caffiene and once you have drunk it for a few days your adrenal glands dump too much and they are exhausted which in turn makes the body release cortisol. This he says is the reason that even though it has no calories it still makes you fat.

Answer from Dave:this is why I never advocate stimulants. This is correct. But remember there are tons of diet sodas out there with no caffeine.

I find it by the way impossible in Sweden atleast to find diet-soda without any caffeine..
thanx!! :D

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »
Acidy stuff
the acid in that is nowhere near as strong as your natural stomach acids.

Stop talking shit.  :)

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »
by the way,dave palumbo said drinking diet soda with caffeine in it will make something exhausted if you drink it every day or similiar and it will start releasing cortisol and will in that way make you fat even without any calories in it.
Wrong.

Dave Palumbo said you can  drink as much diet soda as you want, if it has no calories it will not hinder your conditioning.

seste

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
Wrong.

Dave Palumbo said you can  drink as much diet soda as you want, if it has no calories it will not hinder your conditioning.

I know what he meant,just read above,he recommends the ones with no caffeine in it.

You'r welcome Kyomu

Tatyana

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 09:03:14 AM »
Found it:

The caffeine/cortisol connection is debatable.

It depends on the amount of caffeine, how adapted your body is to caffeine, the length of time on high dose caffeine.

355 ml or 12 ounces of coke is 45 mg of caffeine.

An espresso is around 100 mg of caffeine.

BBing fat burning supps are far higher than this.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »
The caffeine/cortisol connection is debatable.

It depends on the amount of caffeine, how adapted your body is to caffeine, the length of time on high dose caffeine.

355 ml or 12 ounces of coke is 45 mg of caffeine.

An espresso is around 100 mg of caffeine.

BBing fat burning supps are far higher than this.

Thats right. Then all the fat burning formulam should contribute to the fat storage.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 09:15:53 AM »

It's been hypothesized that artificial sweeteners can essentially 'trick' the body into thinking they're sugar. 

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »
It's been hypothesized that artificial sweeteners can essentially 'trick' the body into thinking they're sugar. 
Then what?
You think this BBer was right?

Tatyana

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Thats right. Then all the fat burning formulam should contribute to the fat storage.

The cortisol thing is related to the fight or flight response.

Cortisol releases glucose from glycogen in the liver and free fatty acids for those moments when we might have to have a burst of energy (fight or flight).

Most of the time, people stress out and release cortisol and don't use the extra energy, so the glucose and FFA have to be deposited/stored again.

For some reason, it is thought that it is redeposited closer to the site it was released, which is around the abdomen.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 09:29:12 AM »
The cortisol thing is related to the fight or flight response.

Cortisol releases glucose from glycogen in the liver and free fatty acids for those moments when we might have to have a burst of energy (fight or flight).

Most of the time, people stress out and release cortisol and don't use the extra energy, so the glucose and FFA have to be deposited/stored again.

For some reason, it is thought that it is redeposited closer to the site it was released, which is around the abdomen.

that is very interesting, i've never heard it before. does explain a lot of things though