Author Topic: DIET COKE raise the insulin level!?  (Read 1779 times)

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
Re: DIET COKE raise the insulin level!?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
The cortisol thing is related to the fight or flight response.

Cortisol releases glucose from glycogen in the liver and free fatty acids for those moments when we might have to have a burst of energy (fight or flight).

Most of the time, people stress out and release cortisol and don't use the extra energy, so the glucose and FFA have to be deposited/stored again.

For some reason, it is thought that it is redeposited closer to the site it was released, which is around the abdomen.

Are you implying that the stimulation from Diet Coke is much less than the stimulation from the fear or anger for fight?

Vorkosigan

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »
It'll eat up you stomach anyway
Acidy stuff
There's anything else to tell

Then what?
You think this BBer was right?
No. We must ate a lot of aspartam to trick our body. Too much we can't even ate or drink actually. So it's not possible

Tatyana

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 09:39:53 AM »
Are you implying that the stimulation from Diet Coke is much less than the stimulation from the fear or anger for fight?

No, just elaborating on the caffeine, cortisol and fat connection.

I really doubt a diet coke is going to kick off the cortisol response to any extent.

However, taking 600 mg of caffeine in fat burner tabs plus your typical daily intake of coffee, coke and daily stress would elevate cortisol.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 09:46:24 AM »
No, just elaborating on the caffeine, cortisol and fat connection.

I really doubt a diet coke is going to kick off the cortisol response to any extent.

However, taking 600 mg of caffeine in fat burner tabs plus your typical daily intake of coffee, coke and daily stress would elevate cortisol.

So are you Eastern European or not?
I hate the State.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009, 09:48:41 AM »
No. We must ate a lot of aspartam to trick our body. Too much we can't even ate or drink actually. So it's not possible

x2

Evolution has taught our bodies the difference between sugar and non-sugar.  There is no research which supports the claim that we can metabolize artificial sweeteners the same as sugars. 

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 09:50:53 AM »
This is a fvkin serious thread for me, my friend.
Plase stay in the topic.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 09:52:11 AM »
This is a fvkin serious thread for me, my friend.
Plase stay in the topic.

I want to eat a cat steak.

THG approved
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 09:58:44 AM »
teh diet coke will raiz teh insulinz and teh insulinz will cause teh fatz bro

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
No

1: Physiol Behav. 1995 Jun;57(6):1089-95.Related Articles, Links
Sweet taste: effect on cephalic phase insulin release in men.

Teff KL, Devine J, Engelman K.

Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

To determine whether sweet-tasting solutions are effective elicitors of cephalic phase insulin release (CPIR) in humans, two studies were conducted using nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners as stimuli.

Normal weight men sipped and spit four different solutions: water, aspartame, saccharin, and sucrose. A fifth condition involved a modified sham-feed with apple pie. The five stimuli were administered in counterbalanced order, each on a separate day. In study 1, subjects tasted the stimuli for 1 min (n = 15) and in study 2 (n = 16), they tasted the stimuli for 3 min. Arterialized venous blood was drawn to establish a baseline and then at 1 min poststimulus, followed by every 2 min for 15 min and then every 5 min for 15 min. In both study 1 and study 2, no significant increases in plasma insulin were observed after subjects tasted the sweetened solutions. In contrast, significant increases in plasma insulin occurred after the modified sham-feed with both the 1 min and 3 min exposure. These results suggest that nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners in solution are not adequate stimuli for the elicitation of CPIR.

1: Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Mar;65(3):737-43. Links
Cephalic phase responses to sweet taste.Abdallah L, Chabert M, Louis-Sylvestre J.
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie de la Nutrition, Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris, France.

The sweet taste of nonnutritive sweeteners has been reported to increase hunger and food intake through the mechanism of cephalic-phase insulin release (CPIR). We investigated the effect of oral sensation of sweetness on CPIR and other indexes associated with glucose metabolism using nutritive and nonnutritive sweetened tablets as stimuli. At lunchtime, 12 normal-weight men sucked for 5 min a sucrose, an aspartame-polydextrose, or an unsweetened polydextrose tablet (3 g) with no added flavor. The three stimuli were administered in a counterbalanced order, each on a separate day at 1-wk intervals. Blood was drawn continuously for 45 min before and 25 min after the beginning of sucking and samples were collected at 1-min intervals. Spontaneous oscillations in glucose, insulin, and glucagon concentrations were assessed as were increments (slopes) of fatty acid concentrations during the baseline period. The nature of the baseline (oscillations: glucose, insulin, and glucagon; and slopes: fatty acids) was taken into account in the analyses of postexposure events. No CPIR and no significant effect on plasma glucagon or fatty acid concentrations were observed after the three stimuli. However, there was a significant decrease in plasma glucose and insulin after all three stimuli.

Only the consumption of the sucrose tablet was followed by a postabsorptive increase in plasma glucose and insulin concentrations starting 17 and 19 min, respectively, after the beginning of sucking.

In conclusion, this study suggested that oral stimulation provided by sweet nonflavored tablets is not sufficient for inducing CPIR.

PMID: 9062523 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Good stuff.  Thanks.

Tatyana

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »

Sort of, my dad is Ukrainian, my mom is Scottish.

Euromutt.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »
Found it:

Dave, I read in the MD with Louie on it something about Diet Coke that worried me. You always said drink as much as you want (which I do) and it's fine. I think it was Durand (but haven't got time to flick through the mag to double check) and he sai the problem with diet coke is the caffiene and once you have drunk it for a few days your adrenal glands dump too much and they are exhausted which in turn makes the body release cortisol. This he says is the reason that even though it has no calories it still makes you fat.

Thoughts??? BS or some truth to it?

Answer from Dave:this is why I never advocate stimulants. This is correct. But remember there are tons of diet sodas out there with no caffeine.

I find it by the way impossible in Sweden atleast to find diet-soda without any caffeine..

As if a small cortisol response should be considered with all the steroids he usually recommends for dieting (or off-season for that matter).  ::)

It was funny when Dr Scott Connelly said, on their radio show, that ECA does everything a diet drug should do and Dave quickly changed the subject (Dave doesn't like Ephedrine either, for the same ridiculous reason as he doesn't like caffeine).