Author Topic: Supplement Digestion??  (Read 832 times)

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
Supplement Digestion??
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:53:42 AM »
I recently read (sorry no link) that if your supplements don't absorb in your stomach in under 40 minutes, they are passed through, and you're not getting anything (as far as nutrients) out of them.

I played scientist last night with some of my supplements by adding some ascidic acid to vinegar to replicate actual stomach conditions, and what I found was pretty upsetting if true.  Only one supplement I had, a b-complex from Wal-mart, actually absorbed in under 40 minutes.  One thought that came to mind was that, by taking your supplements with food, which was impossible to replicate in the experiment, they should naturally digest with the food. But, are you actually getting what you're supposed to out of them (i.e. Multi-vitamin)? Also, this would make "Timed-Released" supps completely worthless wouldnt it?

I was just wondering if there was any truth to this, or if it is crap. Regardless, it made me think

Discuss
Air Falcon

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: Supplement Digestion??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:35:09 PM »
I have recently read (sorry no link) that if your supplements don't digest in under 40 minutes they are worthless. I played scientist last night with some of my supplements by adding some ascidic acid to vinegar to replicate actual stomach conditions and what I found was pretty upsetting.  Only one supplement I had, a b-complex from Wal-mart, actually absorbed in under 40 minutes.  One thought that came to mind was that, by taking your supplements with food they will naturally digest, but are you actually getting what youre supposed to out of them? Also, this would make "Timed-Released" supps completely worthless.

I was just wondering if there was any truth to this.

Discuss

BS.

I feel dumb after reading your post. I think i will have to listen to the whole Salzburg Sinfonies to feel normal again.

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:15:11 PM »
damn, I always felt much more intelligent after a long game of Donkey Kong
Air Falcon

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 09:11:10 PM »
I recently read (sorry no link) that if your supplements don't absorb in your stomach in under 40 minutes, they are passed through, and you're not getting anything (as far as nutrients) out of them.

I played scientist last night with some of my supplements by adding some ascidic acid to vinegar to replicate actual stomach conditions, and what I found was pretty upsetting if true.  Only one supplement I had, a b-complex from Wal-mart, actually absorbed in under 40 minutes.  One thought that came to mind was that, by taking your supplements with food, which was impossible to replicate in the experiment, they should naturally digest with the food. But, are you actually getting what you're supposed to out of them (i.e. Multi-vitamin)? Also, this would make "Timed-Released" supps completely worthless wouldnt it?

I was just wondering if there was any truth to this, or if it is crap. Regardless, it made me think

Discuss

This is not an easy question to answer.  It's not as simple as black and white.  There are SO MANY variables influencing bioavailabiltiy.  For instance, vitamin E is best absorbed in the presence of fat and almost useless without, so always take it with a fatty meal.  I take mine with my fish oil which  incidentally helps that absorb too(mixed tocopherol = even better). 

Many vitamins are very cheap. They are made with the cheapest excipients – This is what puts the ingredients together, resulting in a hard tablet.  Because of this, the nutrients are mostly released in the stomach and destroyed by stomach acids. However, some higher quality companies use sophisticated, natural and expensive ingredients (nutraceuticals).  Some have sophisticated delivery systems, which allows the nutrients to enter the blood stream for the most effectiveness. The best delivery system for vitamin absorption and the other nutrients is enteric coating.  Why? Because many nutrients cannot be taken (as a supplement) without being destroyed by stomach acid; enteric coating protects it and therefore the nutrients from being destroyed by stomach acids, allowing it to get further down into the system.

There are numerous other factors too, but you get the idea.
:

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:22:23 PM »

This is not an easy question to answer.  It's not as simple as black and white.  There are SO MANY variables influencing bioavailabiltiy.  For instance, vitamin E is best absorbed in the presence of fat and almost useless without, so always take it with a fatty meal.  I take mine with my fish oil which  incidentally helps that absorb too(mixed tocopherol = even better). 

Many vitamins are very cheap. They are made with the cheapest excipients – This is what puts the ingredients together, resulting in a hard tablet.  Because of this, the nutrients are mostly released in the stomach and destroyed by stomach acids. However, some higher quality companies use sophisticated, natural and expensive ingredients (nutraceuticals).  Some have sophisticated delivery systems, which allows the nutrients to enter the blood stream for the most effectiveness. The best delivery system for vitamin absorption and the other nutrients is enteric coating.  Why? Because many nutrients cannot be taken (as a supplement) without being destroyed by stomach acid; enteric coating protects it and therefore the nutrients from being destroyed by stomach acids, allowing it to get further down into the system.

There are numerous other factors too, but you get the idea.

Dont know if you can answer this or not, but do you know what specific brands..etc. would be the best to go with, or are best absorbed? (NOW, Nature Way, GNC, etc)
Air Falcon

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 06:03:48 PM »
consumerlabs.com

My supps that I sale always rank HIGH.  I work in the industry running 2 stores for my company.  We MUST know this research it helps us with getting new customers.

THe website ranks supps by category, asorbability, effecti., etc....

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 11:10:16 PM »
Dont know if you can answer this or not, but do you know what specific brands..etc. would be the best to go with, or are best absorbed? (NOW, Nature Way, GNC, etc)

There are many good companies out there.  I don't stick with one brand in particular, it depends on the product.  NOW is probably the most economical and easy to find.  Some others are Source Naturals, Enzymatic Therapy, Garden of Life, Solaray, Standard Process, Metagenics.  APEX supplements are good, but are only distributed at certified fitness facilities.  There are others too.  Even some of the MLM (multi-level marketing) companies have some decent things.

consumerlabs.com

My supps that I sale always rank HIGH.  I work in the industry running 2 stores for my company.  We MUST know this research it helps us with getting new customers.

THe website ranks supps by category, asorbability, effecti., etc....

Unfortunately, it's a subscriber site  :(
I haven't had a subscription in a couple of years.
: