Author Topic: Amaranth  (Read 1824 times)

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
Amaranth
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:29:26 AM »
Thoughts on this stuff? Any benefits? Im eating a cereal at the moment that contains this stuff along with quinoa and buckwheat. Don't really know much about it..

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
Re: Amaranth
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:31:59 PM »
It is widely used as a gluten free alternative for grains. It is a pseudograin, meaning it looks and behaves a bit like grain, but is not a member of the poaceae family (the grain family) and therefore contains no harmful gluten. Quinoa, millet and buckwheat are also well known pseudograins.

It's usually an annual plant. Some varieties are used as ornamental garden plants for their attractive colours of leaves, flowers and seeds. The leaves are edible too, like spinach. The plants are easy to grow and usually have great yields.

The seeds can be toasted and used as gluten free 'cereals'. Or cook them like rice and use it as a gluten free couscous alternative. Ground to a flour, it can be added to gluten free baking mixes. On its own amaranth flour can be unpleasant in taste; it has a bit of a grassy flavour (my opinion), and it does not bake so well.

As for nutritional values, it contains some amino acids not found in other grains, but lacks others. So use it in a mix with other (pseudo-) grains.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:14:56 AM »
Tastes like shit, HTH.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 04:25:13 AM »
Tastes like shit, HTH.
True, on its own it does. But as a cereal, thus with a shitload of sugar, or as a couscous with a shitload of garlic, it is somewhat palatable.

Funny fact: some varieties of amarant are resistant to Roundup, without ever being treated by Monsanto. 😁

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:17 AM »
True, on its own it does. But as a cereal, thus with a shitload of sugar, or as a couscous with a shitload of garlic, it is somewhat palatable.

Funny fact: some varieties of amarant are resistant to Roundup, without ever being treated by Monsanto. 😁
Just because of that you may cook some for me. ;D

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
Thanks for the info...the cereal I got is from whole foods. ..it has quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth. .it tastes pretty good to me..

AVBG

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:59:23 PM »
G4it approved!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »
Behave! ;D