Author Topic: what is best add on business for a gym  (Read 16029 times)

yates fan

• Getbig III
what is best add on business for a gym
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »
i own a gym,pretty hardcore,mostly powerlifters and bodybuilders,with some general fitness people thrown in,what supplemental business would be best to add to the gym,supplement store,tanning salon,massage therapy etc.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Re: what is best add on business for a gym
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »
get a liquor license

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
Smoothie bar?? Lots of profit and low start-up costs.
T

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »

My gym put one in.  It was jammed pack the first week when they giving them away.  After that...empty.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »

Great idea. A gym without a smoothie bar is hardly a gym at all.
E

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
g4p production and distribution
~

newmom

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 04:30:09 AM »
tanning? Prepared meals?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:25:21 PM »
I would think that tanning has the biggest profit margin per cost of operation; at least, that’s the impression I got from knowing a few people who own/owned gyms.

You may also consider selling energy drinks & RTD’s through a local distribution franchise. In fact, you may even want to become a franchise yourself.
With the advent of online discounters, local franchises (and their POS) may not be as lucrative as they once were, but they seem to be enough that people are still running them.

Ron is/was an ABB distributor.
He may be willing to answer a few questions if interested.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 10:04:27 AM »
I would think that tanning has the biggest profit margin per cost of operation; at least, that’s the impression I got from knowing a few people who own/owned gyms.

You may also consider selling energy drinks & RTD’s through a local distribution franchise. In fact, you may even want to become a franchise yourself.
With the advent of online discounters, local franchises (and their POS) may not be as lucrative as they once were, but they seem to be enough that people are still running them.

Ron is/was an ABB distributor.
He may be willing to answer a few questions if interested.

Well said, I agree with tanning beds. Take a look at the Planet Fitness franchise. Their tanning beds just brings in additional customers and has the biggest profit margin per cost of operation. And also a small supplement section wouldn't be too bad either to start off with, small investments dont hurt.
#

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »
i own a gym,pretty hardcore,mostly powerlifters and bodybuilders,with some general fitness people thrown in,what supplemental business would be best to add to the gym,supplement store,tanning salon,massage therapy etc.

Tanning beds would be number 1 on the list.  They've always increased business for practically no work.  Set it up, put a box of wipes and it runs itself.  I don't recommend smoothie machine because they take way too much time with low profit margins but a see through refrigerator with canned or bottled drinks and supplements like Blue Thunder are also easy cash.  Reach in, pull one out and ring up the customer...takes a few seconds.

Finally, I would make sure to add additional services like group training, hair stylist, etc.  All of these items can be handled by an independent contractor and won't cost you a dime and you can collect a commission for use of the space.

Hope that helps   
A

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »

Tanning beds would be number 1 on the list.  They've always increased business for practically no work.  Set it up, put a box of wipes and it runs itself.  I don't recommend smoothie machine because they take way too much time with low profit margins but a see through refrigerator with canned or bottled drinks and supplements like Blue Thunder are also easy cash.  Reach in, pull one out and ring up the customer...takes a few seconds.

Finally, I would make sure to add additional services like group training, hair stylist, etc.  All of these items can be handled by an independent contractor and won't cost you a dime and you can collect a commission for use of the space.

Hope that helps   

Hair stylists?

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »
Glory holes, charge by the minute. 
~

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »
Some additional income generators for gyms/Fitness Centers/Pt's:

* Sub-let space to 'like' businesses such as massage therapists and Pro-Shop
* Monetize your email database by selling E products like training and nutrition ebooks
* Create a YouTube channel and fill it with helpful videos and put adsense on them
* Bring in some contract PT's who pay you weekly rent
* Tanning beds as discussed, can bring in new customers but do require staff to clean them etc. (if you have the time to maintain them...cool)
* Produce some inexpensive branded t-shirts
* Give NOTHING away for free

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »

Hair stylists?

The majority of people that go to gyms are women and they also spend the most on average at a gym.  Cater to their needs and you'll make money
A

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 06:50:55 PM »

The majority of people that go to gyms are women and they also spend the most on average at a gym.  Cater to their needs and you'll make money

Okay; it's just that I've been to plenty of gyms including ones of the club/spa variety, and I've never seen onsite hair stylists before.
I can understand group training/classes, daycare, etc., but I think the stylist thing might be a little too far out of context.

Although, maybe you should try it - you might be onto something.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 08:41:11 AM »
Massage therapy.

If a true hardcore Pl'ing & BB'ing gym, than all the "supplements" are being sold in the back of the locker room or the parking lot. Usually from a guy with a extra large gym bag.

Sounds like your a average size, non franchise, gym so probably not many women working out there, so no juice bar or smoothie bar. Way to "gay"  for the hardcore guy. Same for a tanning booth. Like the honey badger, Pl'ers and strength trainee's don't care.
F

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
actually decided to add mma and boxing in the gym,keeps up with the hardcore atmosphere.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »
actually decided to add mma and boxing in the gym,keeps up with the hardcore atmosphere.

Sounds like a plan but I think you're narrowing in too much with the "hardcore" gym. Why not try to create a bit diverse environment to bring in new members. Also how big is your gym? Any pix.
#

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »
its about 3600sq.ft.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
Depends on the type of gym.  We have strongman camps, speed and agility camps, massage, physical therapy and chiropractic.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
Depends on the type of gym.  We have strongman camps, speed and agility camps, massage, physical therapy and chiropractic.

Coach, I hope you'll post some pics of your new facility once it's up & running.

Of course, due to the burgeoning occurrences of trolling around here, I'll understand if you don't.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 07:27:12 AM »

Coach, I hope you'll post some pics of your new facility once it's up & running.

Of course, due to the burgeoning occurrences of trolling around here, I'll understand if you don't.

You bet I will. Expecting to get funded around mid January and up and running Late Feb mid March.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »

Okay; it's just that I've been to plenty of gyms including ones of the club/spa variety, and I've never seen onsite hair stylists before.
I can understand group training/classes, daycare, etc., but I think the stylist thing might be a little too far out of context.

Although, maybe you should try it - you might be onto something.

I've seen them in a few gyms and it doesn't cost them anything because like a trainer, the stylist provides their own products and pays the gym a percentage of the profits.  Most money however is really made from men's haircuts.  A gym monkey will get his workout, shower, get a haircut to look nice and hit the club a few hours later. 

A

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 06:44:01 PM »
A gym monkey will get his workout, shower, get a haircut to look nice and hit the club a few hours later.  

LMFAO!!!
I just got an image in my head:

It's Friday evening.
There's a solid string of tomato-colored, freshly tanned juice monkeys stampeding out of Planet Fitness en route through the parking lot with their John Cena/P.J. Braun "meat-head special," reaking of AXE and wearing their finest size-medium club threads while sipping a cool, frosty, chocolate protein drink from their Gaspari shaker cup with the little blender ball in it; popping Gas-X and Beano's like M&M's in the car to combat the ensuing protein farts that will no doubt strike while nursing their Michelob Ultra, searching out the shallowest skank in the club with the least number of cock-blockers in her group, before opening the Suez Canal to conversation with the opening line: "So, do you work out?"

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »

LMFAO!!!
I just got an image in my head:

It's Friday evening.
There's a solid string of tomato-colored, freshly tanned juice monkeys stampeding out of Planet Fitness en route through the parking lot with their John Cena/P.J. Braun "meat-head special," reaking of AXE and wearing their finest size-medium club threads while sipping a cool, frosty, chocolate protein drink from their Gaspari shaker cup with the little blender ball in it; popping Gas-X and Beano's like M&M's in the car to combat the ensuing protein farts that will no doubt strike while nursing their Michelob Ultra, searching out the shallowest skank in the club with the least number of cock-blockers in her group, before opening the Suez Canal to conversation with the opening line: "So, do you work out?"

Yep...that's what I'm talking about.  As annoying they are, they always pay their memberships year in and year out and buy the majority of drinks and supplements.

Your business model clientele should be 1 serious trainer to 150 bodybuilding douchebags.... ;D
A