Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 34351 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
Here is an example of what they will be running. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:58 AM »
He can run pick and roll all he wants but what about the rest of the offense? The idea with D'antoni's coaching style is to free up lanes by spreading your 3, 4, and 5 to allow Nash or Kobe to drive to the basket. But when those lanes converge and the ball has to be kicked out for an open shot...who can you rely on? Metta Peace? Blake? Jamison?

The Lakers don't have enough pure shooters. Really bad offensive style for the Lakers. And they are probably one of the slowest teams in the NBA to play run and gun. I think the Lakers are fucked unless they trade Gasol for more outside shooting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
He can run pick and roll all he wants but what about the rest of the offense? The idea with D'antoni's coaching style is to free up lanes by spreading your 3, 4, and 5 to allow Nash or Kobe to drive to the basket. But when those lanes converge and the ball has to be kicked out for an open shot...who can you rely on? Metta Peace? Blake? Jamison?

The Lakers don't have enough pure shooters. Really bad offensive style for the Lakers. And they are probably one of the slowest teams in the NBA to play run and gun. I think the Lakers are fucked unless they trade Gasol for more outside shooting.

They have the same number of shooters they've always had, which is very little.  Hasn't stopped them from winning championships.  Nash is a great shooter.  Kobe is a good shooter.  Pau and Howard will score.  

In terms of team speed, they're actually pretty good.  Their starting five isn't slow.  Not the kind of players that can run the entire game, but not one of the slowest teams in the NBA.  

They would be crazy to trade Pau at this point.  I really like their starting five.  It's the bench that hasn't shown any signs of life and is very weak.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
They have the same number of shooters they've always had, which is very little.  Hasn't stopped them from winning championships.  Nash is a great shooter.  Kobe is a good shooter.  Pau and Howard will score.  

In terms of team speed, they're actually pretty good.  Their starting five isn't slow.  Not the kind of players than can run the entire game, but not one of the slowest teams in the NBA.  

They would be crazy to trade Pau at this point.  I really like their starting five.  It's the bench that hasn't shown any signs of life and is very weak.

They wern't winning championships with a pick and roll, run and gun offense. They won them with a triangle scheme which keeps your big men routinely close to the basket instead of spreading them out. Phil Jackson's teams were never known for speed. Why do you think a slow ass turd like Ron Harper with the Bulls or Fisher of the Lakers were able to start in his offenses? Because the schemes was based off of rotation within the triangle to free open looks. Almost like precise route running in football. The Lakers are a veteran team, not a fast, young one.

And they are a slow starting five. You're way off base there. They are definitely one of the slowest teams in the league. They don't have Shannon Brown any more. They need outside shooting help in order to thrive in that offensive system. Trading Pau would bring shooting help and depth to the bench.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2012, 12:37:03 PM »
They wern't winning championships with a pick and roll, run and gun offense. They won them with a triangle scheme which keeps your big men routinely close to the basket instead of spreading them out.

And they are a slow starting five. You're way off base there. They are definitely one of the slowest teams in the league. They don't have Shannon Brown any more. They need outside shooting help and order to thrive in that offensive system.

You talked about their lack of shooters.  I pointed out they won championships without shooters.  That has always been a problem for them. 

The triangle is more about ball movement and spacing than keeping bigs close to the basket, although it is more of an inside out game. 

I'm not convinced D'Antoni can win championships and I thought Phil was the right choice, but I think you're overstating how the players will adapt to his system. 

Regarding team speed, I disagree.  Which 5 in the NBA runs better than Howard?  Pau will not be on anyone's track and field team, but he runs well for a 4.  Metta is not slow.  Kobe is not slow.  Neither is Nash.  Nash actually has great basketball speed (not sure if is such a thing, like football speed). 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »
You talked about their lack of shooters.  I pointed out they won championships without shooters.  That has always been a problem for them. 

The triangle is more about ball movement and spacing than keeping bigs close to the basket, although it is more of an inside out game. 

I'm not convinced D'Antoni can win championships and I thought Phil was the right choice, but I think you're overstating how the players will adapt to his system. 

Regarding team speed, I disagree.  Which 5 in the NBA runs better than Howard?  Pau will not be on anyone's track and field team, but he runs well for a 4.  Metta is not slow.  Kobe is not slow.  Neither is Nash.  Nash actually has great basketball speed (not sure if is such a thing, like football speed). 

Ok...fast but for how long? Howard is the only one. Kobe has a bum knee. Nash is 38. Metta's outside shooting is crap. They're an OLD squad. Outside of Howard, where else are the young at?
I may be overstating their ability to adapt. But I'll guess we'll see how the wins and losses play out. No matter what happens, they've permanantly burned their bridge with Jackson.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »
Ok...fast but for how long? Howard is the only one. Kobe has a bum knee. Nash is 38. Metta's outside shooting is crap. They're an OLD squad. Outside of Howard, where else are the young at?
I may be overstating their ability to adapt. But I'll guess we'll see how the wins and losses play out. No matter what happens, they've permanantly burned their bridge with Jackson.

You're really talking about stamina and conditioning more than speed.  I think that starting five is in excellent shape.  Kobe's knee is fine.  

Now you're talking about age?  Ok, no argument there when it comes to Kobe and Nash.    

I agree about burning their bridge with Phil.  Give the man till Monday to accept the offer then call him at midnight to say they went a different direction.  That was so not cool.