Author Topic: Fatpanda Training and diet log  (Read 198029 times)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
Fatpanda Training and diet log
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »
In this log i will share the things i have learned over time about bodybuilding and nutrition, and also demonstrate their efficiency in reality by using these knowledge to transform my physique over the next 6 months or so.

Through extensive research, trial and error, and experimentation I feel I have found the right balance of work/ rest and relaxation/results.
The order of importance in gaining muscle and strength is:

1)   Load
2)   Frequency
3)   Calories

Rules science agrees on (mostly):

1)   For maximum activation of motor units in the muscle from the first rep, the load must be around 75-85% RM or 6-12 rep max for maximum muscle and strength gains.
2)   The load must be lifted progressively, workout to workout.
3)   Compound movements are more efficient than isolation movements as they provide higher overload to the target body parts. MRI and ECG studies have even shown us which of these specific exercises produce the highest motor unit activation in the target muscles.
4)   Muscle groups must be worked as often as possible. No less than every 48-96 hours – with 72 a happy medium. Protein synthesis returns to normal after 36-48 hours, however the CNS has not always fully recovered until 72-96 hours.
5)   One set per muscle group is all that’s needed for growth – further sets just delay recovery and tear down the muscle further delaying recovery and super-compensation.
6)   Failure is not required for building muscle ( but can be a valuable tool)
7)   Pump or burn sets can help build muscle (occlusion studies show us this), but are not required and are secondary to load in importance.
8)   Proper daily diet is essential to health and bodybuilding goals.
9)   No more than 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass is required for optimum mass gains/ lean mass retention – and may in fact be much less – if recent studies are correct i.e. no more than 20-30g complete protein every 3-5 hours.
10)   Once protein requirements are met – body fat is strictly a matter of thermo dynamics – i.e. adjusting calories from fat and/or carbs.
11)   Proper pre/post workout nutrition can be vital for maximal muscle gains and/or retention.
12)   Never workout on an empty stomach - that applies to lifting weights and cardio.
13)   Try to separate cardio and weight lifting whenever possible. i.e. different days, or at least 8-12 hours apart.
14)   HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training i.e. tabata, sprints etc ) is better for lean mass retention  than SSC ( Steady state cardio i.e. 30 mins on steady speed on bike, etc)
15)   There is no difference between HIIT and SSC when it comes to fat loss. As its calories burned that dictate fat loss (see point 10). HIIT will burn more calories quicker, but it will be harder and more intense, SSC will take longer, but will be easier.

My workout philosophy is to get the maximum possible results from every workout, every exercise, every set, and every rep. anything less is a waste of time and energy.
My workouts strive to balance progressive loading with frequency and efficiency. I do this by only using the best ‘bang for your buck’ exercises; weight intensity; and rep range that provides a nice balance of neuromuscular and metabolic stimulation. I also try to reduce/eliminate as many variables as possible – which allows me to focus purely on increasing load as often as possible.
I hit all major and minor body parts two to three times a week. Each workout involves:

1 x 6-8 dumbbell deadlifts
1x 6-8 dumbbell decline presses
1x 6-8 dumbbell one arm rows
1x 6-8 dumbbell incline presses

Everything I have posted can be backed up with scientific studies. I did not post such studies as most getbiggers fall asleep when I start. If you are interested in these studies pm me or better yet do a quick search of my previous posts – most if not all of the studies you require are there (including links to full texts wherever possible). Some of what I wrote is still under debate by better minds than I i.e. the 1 set vs. many sets debate - but I stand by my recommendations, as along with my rational dissection of the studies and debates regarding these conscientious topics - I have also had 16 years training and dieting experience and experimentation in which I have tried every routine under the sun, not to mention every diet.

My workout routine and diet are simple and enjoyable. They let me live a normal life, enjoy the company of my friends and family, give me time to study, go to parties, enjoy good food and social occasions without suffering. I will prove over the next few months that they are also highly effective.

I will be detailing my training and diet routine here in the training logs section of the boards – I hope you all check it out over the next few months to see the sort of progress I’m making.

I don’t expect to gain much more strength if any as I’ve been gaining strength back slowly over the past year while on lower calories already. Now I’m continuing this diet I’m going to have to lower calories even more. However you never know.

Well getbig regulars, gimmicks and guests – sit back and enjoy the show :-D
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
Re: Fatpanda Training and diet log
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
On sunday my starting measurements were:

weight : 253.75lbs
waist: 123cm
chest: 123cm
arms: 41.5 cm

here are my pics of that morning too - very depleted  :(

My first workout of the comp:

1x 8 dumbbell deadlifts - 50kg (each db weights 50kg)
1x 6 decline db presses - 50kg
1x 8 one arm db rows - 50kg
1x 5 incline db presses - 50kg

followed by HIIT cardio on the exercise bike.

5 min warm up followed by 5 mins of 20 sec all out pedelling then 10 secs of low effort peddeling. every 20/10 sec for 5 mins, followed by 5 min cool down.

i am still under the weather today (monday) after a night out on friday. i ate nothing but candy on saturday while hung over, and sunday only had some chinese takeaway. today i ate pretty well but ruined it by ordering an indian takeaway after my workout - like i said i am still under the weather and fighting off a throat infection and/or cold.

So i will start my proper diet log tomorrow. Which will detail all meals/ drinks including - calories, and grams of protein, carbs and fats.

175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »
here is a bad back shot from sunday too ( its not very good as i found it very difficult to take a shot of my back as i live alone )
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:05:18 PM »
here is a pic of me from 1 year ago compared with sunday.

1 year ago i hadn't worked out for almost 2 years due to partially torn rotators.
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »
feel free to join team panda and add your support.

as a team member you are officially allowed to use the team logo :

175lbs by 31st July

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
here is a bad back shot from sunday too ( its not very good as i found it very difficult to take a shot of my back as i live alone )
i live alone too
w

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »
i live alone too
:'(

I find that hard to believe gene - it must be because you have so many options its too hard to chose  ;)
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »
;D good spot

i'm trying to use up bars of soap i have, before i get onto the liquid stuff.

i also prefer showers with gel, than standing at a sink.

i warm up my whole body via bodyweight squats, and various rotations of waist and shoulders. i do not do any weight warmups anymore.

it is one of the reasons i start with deadlifts too rather than presses.

my workouts are very short, and pretty easy mentally ( not dreading the workout, like i used to with high volume ). apart from the weight which i find heavy, and difficult to get the weights into position in decline and incline.

i could/would like to do 3 workouts a week, but i can't keep it up for long and my strength stagnates a little when on lower calories ( i only eat 2000 cals a day)

i often also add in shrugs after deadlifts - same sets and reps as the rest. i didn't do them today as i am fighting off illness.

i workout from home with this equipment:
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »
meal 1 - 250ml of whole milk + scoop of protein powder = 275 cals - 35g p, 14g c, 10f f
meal 2 - same as above
snack - coffee with whole milk = 65cals - 3g p, 5g c, 4g f
meal 3 - sweet and sour chicken with egg fried rice = 540cals - 32g p, 84g c, 7g f

hiit cardio - 5 min warm up, 5 mins intervals @ 20/10 secs, 5 min cooldown

snack - coffee with whole milk = 65cals - 3g p, 5g c, 4g f
snack - 2 kitkats = 214cals - 2g p, 26g c, 10g f
meal 4 - bbq chicken melt = 544cals - 29g p, 64g c, 19g f

daily totals = 1979 cals - 138g p, 211g c, 63g f

175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »
Meal 1 - protein powder + milk - 275cals - 35p, 14c, 10f
meal 2 - chicken tikka masalla & rice - 608cals - 34p, 95c, 14f

hiit cardio - 15 mins

meal 3 - chicken karahi & rice - 576cals - 30p, 96c, 10f
snack - coffee - 65 cals - 3p, 5c, 4f
snack - 4 kitkats - 428cals - 4p, 52c, 20f

daily totals = 1952cals - 106p, 261c, 57f

i didn't eat a 4th meal today as i slept until lunch time - so the 4th meal would have been eaten too late.

the extra calories from that meal allowed me to eat some more kitkats instead.  :)
175lbs by 31st July

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:36 PM »
work it sister

well I guess I better get going in the next day or two and hand you your ass

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 09:02:26 AM »
Meal 1 - milk and protein powder = 275cals - 35p, 14c, 10f
snack - coffee = 47cals - 3p, 5c, 2f
meal 2 - Lamb Karahi = 554cals - 46p, 45c, 25f

hiit cardio - as before 15mins

snack - coffee = 65cals, 3p, 5c, 4f
snack - peanut m&ms = 576cals - 10p, 60c, 34f
meal 3 - Beef Cannelloni = 495cals - 25p, 39c, 25f

Daily totals = 2012cals - 122p, 168c, 99f

Once again i slept till just before lunch time, so no 4th meal. i had m&m's instead as a snack to make up the calories to 2000 approx.

many of you may wonder why i'm not cutting out more candy and reduce calories - well studies show that reducing calories has been shown to reduce RMR. As i'm only on 2000 cals a day i prefer to try to keep the calories higher for as long as possible and instead burn calories via cardio - thus increasing calorie burn for the day without reducing base RMR.

it is not needed , i could choose to simply ditch cardio and reduce diet for the same effect ( i.e, reduced overall calories) but is my preference as i prefer to eat a little more.

obviously at some point this will have to change as fat loss slows, but its ok for now.

also some of you may wonder why i'm not eating another meal or more protein -

well i could but i like candy, and class it as a daily treat :D

i also strongly believe in these 2 studies:

Ingested protein dose response of muscle and albumin protein synthesis after resistance exercise in young men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009.

A moderate serving of high-quality protein maximally stimulates skeletal muscle protein synthesis in young and elderly subjects. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 2009.

Basically they both show that 20g of protein maximally stimulates protein synthesis, and that any more than this is burned off. Also from other studies done on constant infusion of bcaa, we know there is a refractory period involved that limits the frequency of protein intake (meals) i.e. if you eat more protein while the first one is still digesting/floating around in your blood you will get zero synthesis response from that new meal - so it will all be used for energy.  :o

So it leaves me to believe that you need only eat 20-30g of protein per meal every 3-5 hours (depending on the protein source) to maximally stimulate protein synthesis.

As i woke up later there is no need to eat more protein as it would still be within the time frame of the other meals.

i may be wrong, and further studies are needed. As some studies do show 1g per pound of lean body weight is optimal ( which is between 50-100g more than i'm eating a day)  but i'm classing this as an experiment. i do know from past experience that higher protein levels daily just made me fatter. ( well eating more calories than i was burning made me fatter) but the whole 'must eat as much protein as possible' mindset didn't help.

i also simply like eating normal meals again after years of protein shakes :)

175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
Slept in today, so no breakfast again.

Meal 1 - scrambled eggs + baked beans + coffee = 724cals - 50p, 68c, 28f

Meal 2 - Pre Workout shake - whole milk + protein powder + 5g creatine = 276cals, 35p, 14c, 10f

Workout:

8x50kg - db deadlifts
8x50kg - db shrugs
6x50kg - decline db presses
8x50kg - one arm db rows
5x50kg - incline db presses

This workout felt really hard, and the old shoulder pain is coming back when i do decline presses.

Hiit cardio - 5 mins warmup /5 mins 20-10sec /5 mins cool down

Meal 3 - Post workout shake - whole milk + protein powder + 5g creatine = 276cals, 35p, 14c, 10f

Snack - wine gums - 257cals - 4p, 59c, 0f

Meal 4 - Chicken Korma = 472 cals - 49p, 11c, 27f

Daily totals = 2004cals - 172p, 166c, 75f
175lbs by 31st July

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 08:04:27 AM »
Do you make the curry etc yourself, FP?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 08:23:49 AM »
Do you make the curry etc yourself, FP?

sometimes, but it takes quite a while with having to leave it overnight etc. So if i do its normally over the weekend while i have more free time.

i mostly buy a jar of sauce and add my own veg, meat, etc

sometimes i buy prepacked meals too.
175lbs by 31st July

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »
I give you credit for posting these pics..especially on a site as brutal as this one. But you do look like you made some improvements and you sound pretty motivated. I thought I've been looking better lately and I took some shots of myself in the mirror. It seems I don't look as good as I thought I did. Even though I've been doing two 45 minute cardo sessions a day and limiting carbs to 110 grams a day for several months, I still don't look cut yet. I guess at 47, my metabolism isn't what it used to be.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 10:02:32 AM »
Thanks chemist.

i like to think i have more muscle than these pics show/fat hides.

hopefully over the next few months all will be revealed.

Good luck with your goals, that's tough going cardio wise, especially if you are not getting results.

how much protein and fat per day are you taking in ?
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »
Slept late today - so no breakfast.

Meal 2 - Cajun Turkey + Spicy Mexican rice = 604cals - 63p, 52c, 14f

Snack - coffee and kitkat= 172cals - 4p, 18c, 9f

Meal 3 - Chicken Dopiaza & Rice = 556cals - 36p, 90c, 9f

Daily Totals - 2059cals - 154p, 228c, 60f
175lbs by 31st July

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
Slept in today, so no breakfast again.

Meal 2 - Pre Workout shake - whole milk + protein powder + 5g creatine = 276cals, 35p, 14c, 10f

Workout:

8x50kg - db deadlifts
8x50kg - db shrugs
6x50kg - decline db presses
8x50kg - one arm db rows
5x50kg - incline db presses

This workout felt really hard, and the old shoulder pain is coming back when i do decline presses.

Hiit cardio - 5 mins warmup /5 mins 20-10sec /5 mins cool down

Meal 3 - Post workout shake - whole milk + protein powder + 5g creatine = 276cals, 35p, 14c, 10f

Snack - wine gums - 257cals - 4p, 59c, 0f

Meal 4 - Chicken Korma = 472 cals - 49p, 11c, 27f

Daily totals = 2004cals - 172p, 166c, 75f

here come the excuses

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »
here come the excuses

hahahaha you haven't even started you fruitcake !

i expect you to stand by your promise of the youtube video  ;)
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 06:53:56 AM »
  Sunday weigh in - 251.25lbs

Weight loss this week = 2.5lbs  :)

Slept late today - so no breakfast.

Snack - 2 kitkats = 214cals - 2p, 26c, 10f

Meal 2 - Cajun Turkey + Spicy Mexican rice = 604cals - 63p, 52c, 14f

Meal 3 - Chicken Chow Mein = 484cals - 35p, 62c, 9f

Daily Totals = 2029cals, 150p, 209c, 62f
175lbs by 31st July

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »
hahahaha you haven't even started you fruitcake !

i expect you to stand by your promise of the youtube video  ;)

you're sure about that hey?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »
your words josh, not mine.

you are the one making excuses already.

you have no training or diet log, no further updates other than drinking and smoking cigars  ::)

by not starting at the same time as me, you will now claim that if you had started at the same time you would have beaten me  ::)

regardless - nothing will stop me now.

you can either try to piss against the wind and take me on or go with the flow  :D
175lbs by 31st July

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
relax im kidding i havent started yet

i blew the shit out of my lower back and am just waiting for that to get better then I will fire it up

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
relax im kidding i havent started yet

i blew the shit out of my lower back and am just waiting for that to get better then I will fire it up

what happened ?

i ruptured a disk in my lower back a few weeks ago.

thankfully it is a lot better pain wise now, although it can flair up every now and again depending on how i'm sitting etc.

still have numbness in my left leg though   :-\
175lbs by 31st July