Author Topic: Why do the magazines' place emphasis on ridiculous training programmes?  (Read 6837 times)

Determinator

• Getbig IV
Why oh why do the likes of Flex, MD etc always have routines of the *pros,* which is totally ridiculous for the average 'natural' trainer, who would rapidly overtrain and gain nothing from such routines. We recall that, in general, such magazines are primarily targeted at the beginner, just starting out (hence the silly repitition of articles: choose you carb sources etc...how many times??), hence are probably 'natural' at that stage. Doing 24 sets etc for biceps is just ridiculous guidance if one is a beginning 'natural' and it may go some way to explain why so many beginners give up after 6 months to a year, after investing a lot of cash in protein powders etc, following the routines of the *pros,* and are gobsmacked at their lack of any real development.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
Re: Why do the magazines' place emphasis on ridiculous training programmes?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:57:48 AM »
because it's a scam to sell supplements and bb related stuff using bodies built on hormones and such

It don't matter that much how you train. It does but you don't need to push yourself to thelimit...

Just stimulate, recover , grow and repeat. Oh yeah : using hormones

Othrwise bodybuilding would look like this :

3-4 years tops to reach your natural plateau , then coast .

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:08:29 AM »
It comes down to producing a marketable/interesting magazine.

Writing an article saying "3 sets BB curls, 3 sets hammer curls' isn't interesting enough to most people, even though that routine is much better than some 20 set routine used by Ronnie Coleman. They want an inside idea on what the pros do, pictures, and a much more in depth workout description.

I don't know why anyone buys the magazines anyway. Just the same old recycled training programs and ghost written articles.
No doubt about it...

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:13:14 AM »
because it's a scam to sell supplements and bb related stuff using bodies built on hormones and such

It don't matter that much how you train. It does but you don't need to push yourself to thelimit...

Just stimulate, recover , grow and repeat. Oh yeah : using hormones

Yes, a good reply.
I seemed to have suffered the same affect. After about 3 years I was at my ''biggest'' (which for an ecto isn't great, but people that hadn't seem me in a while would comment). Since it has been the same old same old, no matter what routines/diets that i try. We sometimes look and think 'hang on, are my traps getting a tad bigger there?, but it is just all in the mind, probably. In fact, about 2 years ago i went on a so-called 'ripping phase.' yes, i got my abs up more, but i lost a lot of muscle, and i haven't got it back to the 'glory' days. How do the *pros* manage to get ripped and still keep all of the muscle? Is it drugs again here too?
Is this what happens to nearly all naturals? They never really get much bigger after the first few years? Others' have commented that once they reached their plateau, as they increased their calories a touch, they got a bit around the midsection, even if the increased calories were small and quality.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:16:15 AM »

Writing an article saying "3 sets BB curls, 3 sets hammer curls' isn't interesting enough to most people, even though that routine is much better than some 20 set routine used by Ronnie Coleman. They want an inside idea on what the pros do, pictures, and a much more in depth workout description.

I don't know why anyone buys the magazines anyway. Just the same old recycled training programs and ghost written articles.

True - I can't remember the last time I bought a bodybuilding magazine. What with the advent of the internet and all, it's easier than ever before to get the proper information from regular people who have made a success of bodybuilding their own way; these ghostwritten pro articles are pointless.

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:17:50 AM »

Exactly. Surely they are aimed at total beginners. Moreover, it seems crazy business sense, as what is the point of putting silly overtraining routines of the *pros* in the magazines, when the beginner will give up soon after as a result of lack of progress. Surely it would be more wise to place 'normal' routines in their mags; hence the beginners will prosper and will likely continue to buy the mags? I mean, I'm sure that we all would by the mags regularly if they had routines that we could all gain from??

TestDummy

• Getbig IV
  • 5%
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 03:18:41 AM »
I remember when I was a kid and would read those magazines over and over and go buy all that old Weider shit... I also remember being all shocked when I found out ALL PRO BB's use steroids!!! I still buy a mag every now and then... I find it helps me stay focused and motivated, even if alot of what they say it crap.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 03:20:22 AM »
Naturally you will grow up to a certain point...from then on, no matter what you do you can get only fatter... strength wise is the same

It obviously varies acording to genetics, how well you eat etc...but there is a plateau and ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

io856

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 03:30:21 AM »
maybe they should employ you guys if you got better ideas

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 03:30:21 AM »
Naturally you will grow up to a certain point...from then on, no matter what you do you can get only fatter... strength wise is the same

It obviously varies acording to genetics, how well you eat etc...but there is a plateau and ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

Are the drugs that the *pros* use really harmful? i mean, you hear that they can cause all sorts of complications, but the *pros* that we see in the mags all seem to be there, year after year. If the average joe took some, are they really that bad?

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »
maybe they should employ you guys if you got better ideas

They won't- there is a recession on. Jumping on, for once, a half decent thread. Jerk.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 03:38:06 AM »
Are the drugs that the *pros* use really harmful? i mean, you hear that they can cause all sorts of complications, but the *pros* that we see in the mags all seem to be there, year after year. If the average joe took some, are they really that bad?
The side effects are greatly exagerated

long term megadosing like the pros do will lead to a short lifespan and other complications

taking some stuff to look better in the short run is ok....not the best idea health wise but nothing will happen if you do

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 03:42:22 AM »
The side effects are greatly exagerated

long term megadosing like the pros do will lead to a short lifespan and other complications

taking some stuff to look better in the short run is ok....not the best idea health wise but nothing will happen if you do

yes, but the problem would occur if your tookk some 'light' stuff, put on 15 quality pounds, and had to go off it again, and say by by to the new muscle. That would be pretty tuff to take for anyone, and, as you said, you could not be on it forever.

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 03:44:59 AM »
sevastase, you seem to know you stuff. What do you recommend an optimal programme for a natural? 3 times a week (which is what i currently do)? what excercises number of sets etc? Do you have to take all sets to complete failure, including drops etc?

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 03:50:07 AM »
yes, but the problem would occur if your tookk some 'light' stuff, put on 15 quality pounds, and had to go off it again, and say by by to the new muscle. That would be pretty tuff to take for anyone, and, as you said, you could not be on it forever.

that's why it's called "cycling".  you get off the roids until your internals / test levels are back to normal, and then start poking again.
Deep Tissue Massage

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 03:50:26 AM »

Wrong. You'll never come close to looking like a pro naturally, but the longer you train, the bigger and stronger you get. A guy who has trained for 15 - 20 years will be a lot better after that time than he was after the first 3 - 4 years, as long as he does it right.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 04:17:24 AM »
Wrong. You'll never come close to looking like a pro naturally, but the longer you train, the bigger and stronger you get. A guy who has trained for 15 - 20 years will be a lot better after that time than he was after the first 3 - 4 years, as long as he does it right.
Some guys in my gym look the exact same or worse now in the 8yrs ive been there,naturals

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 04:21:45 AM »
lol i never followed a training scheme from that magazine anyway. i bet they have some program with all exercises there are in it and with a push on the button they produce another training scheme each month. its an insult to the reader they arent able to built a scheme themselves.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 04:30:35 AM »
Some guys in my gym look the exact same or worse now in the 8yrs ive been there,naturals

How do they lift, though? You aren't going to improve as a natural if you don't use progressive overload and train with enough intensity.

Obviously, the rate of an average person's gains will start declining after the first couple of years or so, but you can still continue to improve as long as you put in the effort. When I started, I was only around 140 lb, but 18 years later at my peak, I weighed about 220 lb. Everything takes a lot of time when you don't use anabolics.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 04:34:14 AM »
How do they lift, though? You aren't going to improve as a natural if you don't use progressive overload and train with enough intensity.

Obviously, the rate of an average person's gains will start declining after the first couple of years or so, but you can still continue to improve as long as you put in the effort. When I started, I was only around 140 lb, but about 18 years later at my peak, I weighed about 220 lb. Everything takes a lot of time when you don't use anabolics.

haha i know of "guys" in my gym who train 8 years and still look the same as the first day they stept in. these guys must be the most dedicated persons in the world.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 04:40:15 AM »

Obviously, the rate of an average person's gains will start declining after the first couple of years or so, but you can still continue to improve as long as you put in the effort. When I started, I was only around 140 lb, but 18 years later at my peak, I weighed about 220 lb. Everything takes a lot of time when you don't use anabolics.
They dont have any intensity

Per Se

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 05:03:30 AM »
Wrong. You'll never come close to looking like a pro naturally, but the longer you train, the bigger and stronger you get. A guy who has trained for 15 - 20 years will be a lot better after that time than he was after the first 3 - 4 years  ::) , as long as he does it right.

Good post.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 05:04:01 AM »
they must write something between the ads and they have run out of things that make sense

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 05:19:10 AM »
sevastase, you seem to know you stuff. What do you recommend an optimal programme for a natural? 3 times a week (which is what i currently do)? what excercises number of sets etc? Do you have to take all sets to complete failure, including drops etc?
3-4 times a week tops

medium heavy

never failure . No need for forced reps or drop sets... maybe once a month go heavy and test your strength

Be CONSISTENT

under 1 hour in the gym

for legs ONLY squats

preexhaust chest, delts

1 day on one off ...

eat good not too clean but not much junk

no need to stuff yourself

3 times a week do some form of cardio...even running a bit ( you're young...be active )

Like hit the heavy bag, play basketball or whatever sport you like

No supplements

Do use organic supplements

omega 3 fishoils

vitamin D plus organic Calcium in citrate form plus 15min sun exposure daily without sunglasses ( use coconut organic oil when in the sun )

use castor oil daily under your eyes and on the skin, even on the scrotum ( to help the testicles to function better )

use whole organic certified foods

if you smoke...smoke only organic certified ciggies ( American Spirit family )

it's ok to smoke as it grounds you..but make it organic tobacco.

Have sex as often as possible with great looking women

Look for love but don't settle for cheap sex

Treat your body like a fine Ferrarri even though it's infinetly more powerfull and more precious while even more complex.

Did I mention the daily need for a fine assed hoe ?

Here's my daily fix ( used to be as I recycle them constantly  :D )

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 05:26:49 AM »
Why oh why do the likes of Flex, MD etc always have routines of the *pros,* which is totally ridiculous for the average 'natural' trainer, who would rapidly overtrain and gain nothing from such routines. We recall that, in general, such magazines are primarily targeted at the beginner, just starting out (hence the silly repitition of articles: choose you carb sources etc...how many times??), hence are probably 'natural' at that stage. Doing 24 sets etc for biceps is just ridiculous guidance if one is a beginning 'natural' and it may go some way to explain why so many beginners give up after 6 months to a year, after investing a lot of cash in protein powders etc, following the routines of the *pros,* and are gobsmacked at their lack of any real development.
For entertainment purposes. That's why.