Author Topic: Facebook Page 'Prays' for Obama's Death?  (Read 601 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Facebook Page 'Prays' for Obama's Death?
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
Not sure if someone posted this already?  Reminds me of the "isdickcheneydeadyet.com" website.  Not sure if it's still working. 

Facebook Page 'Prays' for Obama's Death?
'Prayer' Lists Deaths of 'Favorite' Celebrities, Includes Obama as 'Favorite' President
Page Supporters Say It's a Joke

Some members of the anti-Obama site have posted that the page is not literally advocating the death of the president, but is merely a vehicle to express their views.

"I don't think anyone really wants him dead! We are just tired of our govornment and this sh**ty economy. So all you people our there freaking our, just Chill!!," wrote Cathy Larsen on the anti-Obama page's wall.

Kevin Scirrotto, another supporter of the page, told ABCNews.com in an e-mail that he joined "bc it's hilarious."

"It's a fb page. It's a joke," he added.

But members of the opposing groups say they think the page is anything but funny.

Desiree Kettler, a 27-year-old Facebook user from Chicago, said she learned of the anti-Obama group when a family member of hers, who identifies as a conservative tea-partier, "liked" it and the message popped up in her own Facebook Friend Feed.

Critics Say Page Perpetuates Hate
Kettler not only joined an opposition group, she wrote her family member an e-mail conveying her thoughts. Soon after, she said, her family member removed herself from the anti-Obama page.

"I think it's perpetuating hate -- something that ends up dividing us," Kettler said. "I think people can say what they want about our president, but to wish death upon him had crossed the line. I feel that Facebook is making a mistake in not taking this group down right away because it will send the wrong message that this kind of group is OK." Other Facebook users don't think the site should take down the page, but are disheartened that extreme views can find such a visible place online.

"To me, it speaks to the divisiveness we've had in this country," said Sarah Seelen Donovan, a 64-year-old who lives outside Atlanta. "It concerns me that these extreme opinions are starting to become mainstream."

She was disappointed when her Facebook page told her that a handful of her friends had "liked" the page.

When she saw that other friends had joined the opposing pages, she decided to contribute her own two cents.

"I thought this is an excellent way for me to state how I feel about this in a calm, appropriate way," she said. "I don't think it's up to Facebook to take it down. I think it's up to people like me to join the other group to say to people, 'Stop the divisiveness. You may not like him, but he's our president.'"

But though the statements on the Facebook page may distress her, she said it's not up to Facebook to take it down. She said it's up to those like her to raise their voices in opposition.

"It's an ugly statement any way you look at it," she said. "I think it's meant to be humorous, but there are better ways. There are better ways to express that."

. . .

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebook-page-prays-obamas-death/story?id=10451069&page=2

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: Facebook Page 'Prays' for Obama's Death?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »
Fb is not a joke, people have been killed, divorced, lost there job cause of facbook.

I dont have it cause people get really upset when they add you as a freind and you dont accept it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:37:22 PM »
Fb is not a joke, people have been killed, divorced, lost there job cause of facbook.

I dont have it cause people get really upset when they add you as a freind and you dont accept it.

I don't think anyone should ever joke about the death of the president.  Sort of like telling jokes at an airport (which I have to remind myself not to do every time I fly). 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
hows the lakers lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
hows the lakers lol

At home licking their wounds.   :)

Purge_WTF

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »
  Didn't the Libreels do something similar with the Senator from Jersey? Childish and attention-whore-ish either way.