Author Topic: JPM101 current training  (Read 134281 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: JPM101 current training
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »
I seem to have complete control of QuakerQat's mind and thoughts. Obsession with me is taking control of Quaker Oats 24/7. It's almost like he was being 'owned' by me. And will he stalk me around the boards as he has done in the past? Too bad. Though  I have still have much pity for the physically and mentally weak like QO's. Hope this helps.
F

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »
Just ignore him JPM.

I know there are some big lifters out there, i have seen them.

Take care.

8)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »
Though  I have still have much pity for the physically and mentally weak...

This is very true.
Look how many times you've helped me out.
 ;D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »
This is very true.
Look how many times you've helped me out.
 ;D
you better just watch out now man, "jpm" here trains in a gym buried 1000 feet underground where only the biggest and baddest are brave enough to tread, 175 pound one arm presses, 450 pound benches for reps,  step ups with a pair of 200 pound db's, high pulls with 220 pound db's yet this anonymous man mountain won't post even a picture with his face blacked out. ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 07:34:12 PM »
you better just watch out now man, "jpm" here trains in a gym buried 1000 feet underground where only the biggest and baddest are brave enough to tread, 175 pound one arm presses, 450 pound benches for reps,  step ups with a pair of 200 pound db's, high pulls with 220 pound db's yet this anonymous man mountain won't post even a picture with his face blacked out. ::)
Maybe they don't make a lense wide enough to fit his physique in?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 09:12:20 AM »
Really what does it mater. Is it you saying it QuakerOats? No so let the guy do his thing. Maybe he can maybe he is bull shiting. Eather way you wont know so just leave it.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
Current full body workout.

1. Step-ups. Alternate 10-12 reps left leg and than 10-12 reps the right leg. Than back to the left leg again, etc. Do 3 sets without rest between sets. Just keep going until the 3 complete sets are done. Hold DB on the side of the leg that is working. Than switch DB to the other hand/side. About lower quad height with the heavy shipping stacked crates I use. Want a fuller ROM for these.

2. Romanian DL. 2 sets of 10 to 12. Exceptional ham & lower back movement. Both step-ups and Romanian Dl's can help most peoples squats greatly.

3.DB press. Alternate sides each set. 7-9 reps of 2 sets. Little finger facing forward, thumb facing to the rear. As pressing ups, twisting the hand/DB so at the top position all the fingers will be facing forward, thumb facing my head. Slight rest between sets/sides. Elbow should be very close to the head at top position.

4. Lateral raise. Alternate each side for 7-9 reps. 1 set. DB held slightly in front of the body. Start with a cheat style, elbows bents a bit. Sort of like slinging a 20lb sledge hammer.....if anyone is familiar with that.

5. DB upright row (elbows out wide). Alternate each side. 7-9 reps of 2 sets. Slight rest between sides/sets.

6. DB row. Alternate each side. 7-9 reps of 2 sets. Slight rest between sides/sets

No direct arm work, against my religion. Try for twice a week. Busy time of year for me, so sometimes once a week.

Last training cycle was PR and partial work. Squats, overhead lockouts, etc. the usually stuff. But did include Jefferson lifts (alternate hand grips) which can work the legs/hips/abs/back in a whole different way. Though may not be for everyone. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 07:26:06 PM »
When does GVT start?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 08:17:29 AM »
Have not done GVT since last year. But it can be part of the plan, like going back to a old tried and true way of working out. I usually do it (but not always) after a heavy partial PR protocol. When doing GVT it is on a 6 to 8 week training cycle. It can setup the CNS to adapt to  more direct influence on the muscles themselves. With less heavy joint involvement. A lot of guy's can not make up their mind (train heavy, light or somewhere in the middle) if they want to be a BB'er or PL's. With the results of not meeting their full potential in either one by trying to blend each style of training into weekly workout.

Of course GVT is not the only way to train or meant to be used year round (though some men have). But it is one of the better ways to train fora focused, short burst training cycle. All based on the 100 rep theory, broken down to sets of 10's. Can even use the 8X8's (64 reps) Gironda style. Most square root training (my term only) like 5X5, 8X8 or 10X10 (GVT again) seem to work well. 100's (in any form..some very extreme) seem to go back many years in BB'ing. Good Luck.

Side Bar: most people do GVT wrong or do not really understand it's main purpose. Might want to do a solid search on the correct way to work it. Worth the effort.

F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 08:57:52 AM »
Yes, you and I had some good discussions regarding GVT about a year or two ago.
I don’t want to derail your thread, but it was much easier on the joints for me. If I ever hook up with a training partner again, I’d like to give it another shot.
Finding a consistent partner can be a pain in the ass, and being that I train at 2 & sometimes 3 different gyms per week, the logistics render it even less probable for me.

Anyway, I’ll shut up now.
It’ll be nice to read your log entries again.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 07:11:52 AM »
Yes, you and I had some good discussions regarding GVT about a year or two ago.
I don’t want to derail your thread, but it was much easier on the joints for me. If I ever hook up with a training partner again, I’d like to give it another shot.
Finding a consistent partner can be a pain in the ass, and being that I train at 2 & sometimes 3 different gyms per week, the logistics render it even less probable for me.

Anyway, I’ll shut up now.
It’ll be nice to read your log entries again.

yea id like to give it a shot also along with some max ot type lifting but i havent lifted with a partner since i was in the military and being that i work 84+ hours a week and working out is done at my house or at whatever hotel im living out of i dont see that happening...good log jp i like reading about your opinions on lifts i like what you have to say about most of it becase mostof what youve said has been pretty accurate....

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 07:30:15 PM »
Current full body workout.

1. Step-ups. Alternate 10-12 reps left leg and than 10-12 reps the right leg. Than back to the left leg again, etc. Do 3 sets without rest between sets. Just keep going until the 3 complete sets are done. Hold DB on the side of the leg that is working. Than switch DB to the other hand/side. About lower quad height with the heavy shipping stacked crates I use. Want a fuller ROM for these.

2. Romanian DL. 2 sets of 10 to 12. Exceptional ham & lower back movement. Both step-ups and Romanian Dl's can help most peoples squats greatly.

3.DB press. Alternate sides each set. 7-9 reps of 2 sets. Little finger facing forward, thumb facing to the rear. As pressing ups, twisting the hand/DB so at the top position all the fingers will be facing forward, thumb facing my head. Slight rest between sets/sides. Elbow should be very close to the head at top position.

4. Lateral raise. Alternate each side for 7-9 reps. 1 set. DB held slightly in front of the body. Start with a cheat style, elbows bents a bit. Sort of like slinging a 20lb sledge hammer.....if anyone is familiar with that.

5. DB upright row (elbows out wide). Alternate each side. 7-9 reps of 2 sets. Slight rest between sides/sets.

6. DB row. Alternate each side. 7-9 reps of 2 sets. Slight rest between sides/sets

No direct arm work, against my religion. Try for twice a week. Busy time of year for me, so sometimes once a week.

Last training cycle was PR and partial work. Squats, overhead lockouts, etc. the usually stuff. But did include Jefferson lifts (alternate hand grips) which can work the legs/hips/abs/back in a whole different way. Though may not be for everyone. Good Luck.

Pretty routine..videos and pics from our no. 1 internet warrior confirming any degree of intensity and physique?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 05:09:44 PM »
Bump for details of current protocol.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »
Same O same O. One more week, than a week or two off. Than on to another training program. Time is short for me this time of season. Tested my squat and overhead press last week. Both up more than I expected. Probably would have helped my bench, if I ever did bench's anymore. Might do a basic 5X5 of 3 compound exercise in a workout next. The shorter the program the better for me now. Maybe BB inclines, curl grip BB rows and BB Hack squats as the whole body workout. Good Luck.

Side Bar: wonder if this gets deleted like my past two post did on the Training Board.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »
Tested my squat and overhead press last week. Both up more than I expected.

Do you normally check your max's after a training cycle?
Which protocols seem to give you the most dramatic strength gains?
How about size gains?

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
Do you normally check your max's after a training cycle?
Which protocols seem to give you the most dramatic strength gains?
How about size gains?

i was wondering also how often do most people check thier max....it seems like any time i get into talking with someone about lifting the first question is "how much you bench" which is a reasonable question now if i only knew the answer as low as it is would still be better then telling them i dont know ive only used DB for almost 2 years now and have no idea what my max press is....i know my working set weight has increased and thats what i go by....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
Appearance over performance…
Never being particularly concerned with arbitrary strength, I seldom do max’s on anything for gauging purposes.

Life has enough disappointments already. ;D

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »

Life has enough disappointments already. ;D

[/quote]

hahahaaaa well said...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 08:59:18 AM »
Can pretty much tell how stronger your getting by the way the training is going.  No need to gauge by a single rep max, but kind of fun anyway. Maybe every 3 weeks, or so for most people. A couple of guy's were squatting so I joined in for a few sets. After my regular workout I loaded up the PR for a few sets of overhead presses.

The following is what works best for me, may not be suited for everyone: Best gains by far were/are from partial PowerRack (PR) training. Get to hit all three phases of a muscle contraction, from the weakest to the strongest, at the most effective (max for reps) weight. That's what the original concept for the Art Jones machines were for. His cam gear designed , in my view, changed the whole idea of machine training.

Second form of best gain training  were heavy 20 rep (or more) breathing (3 to 8 breaths between reps) squats. Also used DL and power cleans on this form of training.

A close third. are Rest-Pause training. Usually between 10 to 15 seconds between reps. Use only the Big Boy exercises like heavy compound squuats, DL's, bench's, pulls, presses, etc.

Throw in 5X5's as right up there for good gains. Good Luck.
F

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »
The following is what works best for me, may not be suited for everyone: Best gains by far were/are from partial PowerRack (PR) training. Get to hit all three phases of a muscle contraction, from the weakest to the strongest, at the most effective (max for reps) weight. That's what the original concept for the Art Jones machines were for. His cam gear designed , in my view, changed the whole idea of machine training.

could you elaborate some more on this partial powerrack training....just curious

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »
JPM can probably explain this better, but I'll give it a shot...

Doing conventional reps, the weight used is limited by your weakest portion of the rep.
Rack partials allow you to use a weight commensurate with effectively taxing ALL portions of a movement individually.

In detail:

Take the bench press for example.
Your strongest portion of the movement is usually near the top, while the weakest is near the bottom.
To maximally tax the top portion’s muscles, you’d have to use a weight that would be too heavy to allow you to get through the bottom portion of a standard BP.
Conversely, if you use weight light enough to make it through the bottom, the top will not receive sufficient workload.

But if you start the movement with the bar set higher, you can use more weight since you cut out the weakest part of the rep. Now you can use an adequate workload for that top portion without the weaker bottom holding you back.

This is just one example.
There are many others.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »
i understand what it is i did some reading up on it but what i dont get is how if your weak spot of the bench is the bottom and you did partial reps on the top half so you could put more load on your chest because you can use more weight for partial reps but how does doing any of that help the weak spot of the bench ?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 09:02:54 AM »
You can also do partials consisting of just the first third of the BP.
Adjust the safety pins so that the bar is almost resting on your chest, and push up from there.

Another method is analogous to board presses.
Start with the pins & bar set high. Do that for a week (or whatever).
Then lower the pins one hole and start from there.
Next workout, drop the pins again...

This method will gradually build the lowermost portion's fibers.
Each workout you're using the same weight, but from an increasingly lower starting position until - theoretically - you eventually work down to doing a complete repetition from the chest.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
yea i see what your saying.....interesting..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 09:24:45 AM »
I’m not a “power/strength guy.”

However, I’ve had the fortune of training around several power lifters who were quite generous in sharing their knowledge. And although I never participated, I did occasionally observe a bit of their sessions.
Literally, every one of them at some point used at least one of the following in BP training:
chains
bands
board-presses

This may be a good topic to search for on the power lifting board.
JPM certainly knows about these, but since this is his training log thread, I’ll leave it to him to digress any farther off topic.