Author Topic: CA water rates to rise between 8% - 28% due to "Green" initiatives.  (Read 728 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
DWP rates may rise between 8% and 28% to pay for mayor's green initiatives (Los Angeles)
L.A. Times ^ | 3/17/10

Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:00:01 PM by Nachum

The hike would pay for more aggressive conservation programs and a solar plan designed to create 16,000 jobs as well as cover the fluctuating price of coal and natural gas.

Households that get their power from the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power could see their electric bills go up between 8.8% and 28.4%, depending on where they live and how much energy they use, under a plan unveiled Monday by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

(Excerpt) Read more at latimes.com ...
________________________ ________________________ ______________________

Is there any doubt that the "green" movement is nothing more than a thin veil for the marxists?

I really think in my lifetime we are going to have CW2 or a break up to where the marxists/communists/liberals/progressives etc will live in one half of the country and the rest of us in the other half. 

This insanity will never end so long as we are subjected to these marxist freaks.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: CA water rates to rise between 8% - 28% due to "Green" initiatives.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
DWP rates may rise between 8% and 28% to pay for mayor's green initiatives
The hike would pay for more aggressive conservation programs and a solar plan designed to create 16,000 jobs as well as cover the fluctuating price of coal and natural gas.
Related
 Primary Source: DWP and city officials pitch their rate increase proposal
By David Zahniser and Phil Willon

March 15, 2010 | 11:21 p.m.
E-mail Print   Text Size

Households that get their power from the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power could see their electric bills go up between 8.8% and 28.4%, depending on where they live and how much energy they use, under a plan unveiled Monday by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

Appearing with labor and environmental leaders, Villaraigosa said the proposed increases would ensure that the DWP meets his goal of securing 20% of its energy from renewable sources such as wind and solar by Dec. 31.

The increased revenue would help pay for new environmental initiatives, including more aggressive conservation programs and a solar initiative designed to create 16,000 jobs.

But it also would address the DWP's failure to collect enough money to cover the cost of existing renewable energy initiatives and the fluctuating price of coal and natural gas, utility officials said.

"Nobody's denying that this is a big increase -- at least I'm not," said DWP Acting General Manager S. David Freeman. "Because we've put it off so . . . long, [ratepayers] have saved money in the last three years."

The mayor has been talking for weeks about the need for the DWP to charge more. Monday was the first day his team showed its estimate of the effects on consumers of the increase, which is scheduled to be phased in over a full year starting next month.

Under the plan, households that use the smallest amount of electricity -- technically known as Tier 1 customers -- would see an average increase of 8.8%. Those customers make up 58% of the DWP's residential ratepayers.

Tier 2 customers, who use more power and make up 36% of the utility's residential customers, would see an average increase of 16.8% to 18.9%. Tier 3 customers, who use the most power and make up the remaining 6%, would face hikes in their electric bills of 24.4% to 28.4%, according to documents provided by the mayor's office.

In the hotter San Fernando Valley, where ratepayers receive a slight break on their bills, the average Tier 1 customer would see monthly electric bills jump from $38.76 to $42.17 by April 2011. A Tier 2 customer in the Valley would see the monthly bill increase from $92.19 to $107.60, according to the proposal.

Businesses would see increases in the average bill ranging from 20% to 26%. Any increase would become less steep, however, once ratepayers adopt conservation measures or find ways to install solar panels and sell the excess power to the DWP, mayoral aides said.

The DWP board, whose members are appointed by the mayor, must approve the plan for the increases to go into effect; the proposal goes before the board Thursday. The City Council will review the plan in upcoming weeks and can affirm it or send it back for more work.

The mayor also warned that more increases would be needed to reach his next goal: securing 40% of the DWP's power from renewable sources by 2020.

"We could have raised our fees even more to address the long-term goal of taking us to 40% renewables by 2020 and coal-free," he said. "We knew we had to do this incrementally."

Either way, the proposal drew complaints from a Westside neighborhood activist, who described the increase as a hidden tax.

Mike Eveloff, president of the Tract 7260 Homeowners Assn., criticized the mayor for seeking more money at the same time the DWP is providing at least $220 million annually to balance the city's budget. "As long as the DWP is showing a surplus, then they have no rational reason for seeking a rate increase," he said.

Once all the increases are in place, the DWP will receive an additional $648 million per year.

Villaraigosa said the money would help pay for the hiring of "green doctors" to evaluate the energy efficiency of homes and stepped-up efforts to help residents obtain energy-efficient lightbulbs and refrigerators.

One union leader said residents would support the increases once they knew how the money would be spent.

"When they see that there is a clear-cut plan to do what we need to do in this city -- which is to be more green, to create jobs -- then I think that most people . . . are willing to go along with that," said Maria Elena Durazo, executive secretary-treasurer of the L.A. County Federation of Labor.

david.zahniser @latimes.com

phil.willon@latimes.com

________________________ ________________________ ________________________

Unreal. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »
Good move by the mayor here.  16,000 jobs and a chance to keep prices lower in the future.  Good investment.  
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »
Good move by the mayor here.  16,000 jobs and a chance to keep prices lower in the future.  Good investment.  

And more businesses fleeing for their very survival. 

Do you realize how bad shape CA is in because of this nonsense?   

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:09 AM »
DWP rates may rise between 8% and 28% to pay for mayor's green initiatives (Los Angeles)
L.A. Times ^ | 3/17/10

Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:00:01 PM by Nachum

(Excerpt) Read more at latimes.com ...
________________________ ________________________ ______________________

Is there any doubt that the "green" movement is nothing more than a thin veil for the marxists?

I really think in my lifetime we are going to have CW2 or a break up to where the marxists/communists/liberals/progressives etc will live in one half of the country and the rest of us in the other half. 

This insanity will never end so long as we are subjected to these marxist freaks.   

No, i don't think so, i think its a veil for more BIG business.  

If power rates go up it's not going to scare businesses away.  Businesses in California have had to deal with high state taxes, high sales taxes for ever.  BS like this isn't to be the thing that drives anyone off.  And creating 16K jobs is good and alternative power is good too.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 09:27:42 AM »
No, i don't think so, i think its a veil for more BIG business.  

If power rates go up it's not going to scare businesses away.  Businesses in California have had to deal with high state taxes, high sales taxes for ever.  BS like this isn't to be the thing that drives anyone off.  And creating 16K jobs is good and alternative power is good too.

Ha Ha Ha.  You have got to be kidding me.  So you think its ok to steal from me to give a job to someone else under the false guise of "going green".?

Have you even looked at teh shape CA is in right now?  They are losing thousands of employers a month because businesses are sick of this nonsense. 

I am convinced that lleftists will not be happy until we have 100% UE rate and then they think people will beg for communism. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
And more businesses fleeing for their very survival. 

Do you realize how bad shape CA is in because of this nonsense?   

It's creating 16,000 jobs with more on the way.  This IS the industry of the future do you not get that?  Whilst you're head is stuck up your ass China and India are investing billions to become green tech giants meanwhile you want us to go looking for a redundant fuel source that may or may not be all used up in 100 years.  All that instead of investing in renewable energy so we no longer have to worry about peak anything.  Does it cost up front? Yes but in the long run it saves the people from price hikes due to lack of supply, war etc.  

Spending now saves money in the future.  It's an investment in energy independence and an investment in american industry.  But hey lets let China and India beat us and end up with third rate manufactured products.  
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:30:02 AM »
Ha Ha Ha.  You have got to be kidding me.  So you think its ok to steal from me to give a job to someone else under the false guise of "going green".?

Have you even looked at teh shape CA is in right now?  They are losing thousands of employers a month because businesses are sick of this nonsense. 

I am convinced that lleftists will not be happy until we have 100% UE rate and then they think people will beg for communism. 

what business are you talking about?  Because if your business is so reliant on power prices being at 2010 levels, you're in for a big surprise when peak oil hits. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:18 AM »
It's creating 16,000 jobs with more on the way.  This IS the industry of the future do you not get that?  Whilst you're head is stuck up your ass China and India are investing billions to become green tech giants meanwhile you want us to go looking for a redundant fuel source that may or may not be all used up in 100 years.  All that instead of investing in renewable energy so we no longer have to worry about peak anything.  Does it cost up front? Yes but in the long run it saves the people from price hikes due to lack of supply, war etc.  

Spending now saves money in the future.  It's an investment in energy independence and an investment in american industry.  But hey lets let China and India beat us and end up with third rate manufactured products.  

KC - stealing is wrong and that is what this is.  "Green" is a joke and is not economically viable.  If the govt did not steal from the taxpayers to fund this nonsense , it would collapse under its own weight. 

BTW - no one at the site agrees with you on this, and these are the people who live there.

________________________ ________________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

glad I took my company and jobs out of california 5 years ago - good luck all you poor, non-illegal, CA residents - hope you enjoy the fraud and farce being put on you by the green crooks

Jack_Kennedy (03/16/2010, 7:59 PM )

Report Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait until Cap and Trade gets rammed through. You'll be looking back at that 28% hike as the "Salad Days."

Green... it's the new red, destroying the middle class one household at a time.

GavinInTucson (03/16/2010, 7:19 PM )

This is just one more piece of proof that all these "GREEN" plans are just to rip off the average person. Look at all those windmill farms that are rusting away. When will you libs ever learn? Hopefully, all that are left are dummycrats and libs to pay this bill. Finally, I love how some of you try to say that solar or wind is cheap. It is only cheap if subsidized. Once those dollars are gone the solar farms and wind farms are left to rust. Wake up and smell the ripoffs. Your government is no better than Enron.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't beleive that you moved this from the front page. How in the world can they justify this. But hey it will all work out in the end and there will be no more businesses in Los Angeles. I wonder what the increase will be then. I just had a meeting with SCE as they are the power provider for my company and i got a rate hike for as they explained to me that they lost 12% of their business and they needed to cover their overhead. I wish my customers would go for that. Good luck to those living in LA I hope you still have a job to go to when this is all done.

krestenovich (03/16/2010, 6:55 PM
)

ha, you get what idiots you vote for. no wonder ca is being left to the illegals

liberalsareterrorists (03/16/2010, 5:13 PM )

If you continue to vote for people who tell you they are going to screw you, and then they do so, you might want to review your voting strategy.

Green energy, does not allow for you to live comfortable. It is meant to harness you like the packmule the Dems think you are. If you buy into their grand plan, you will pay $10.00 for gasoline and 30% of the average wage for your energy consumption. You will walk more, ride less and suffer the heat more, because the dems have a plan. To make your world more like that of other countries.

If this is OK with you, fine. If not, vote these people out and pursue a course of inexpensive energy as a means to support the American lifestyle. Otherwise, get more accustomed to the Bangladesh lifestyle.

Alvinjh (03/16/2010, 5:13 PM )

"it seems like LA may have been getting quite the sweetheart deal on energy costs"

Keep in mind that the LADWP is run by the city of Los Angeles, and as such does not have shareholders that need a cut of the profits. This is not a "for profit" entity. Low rates or not, if they clear enough money to give over 200 million to the city (and handing out huge pay increases to their staff), then they are clearly in no need of raising rates to cover their costs. The city has been draining money from the LADWP for years to help with their budget. This is nothing more than a tax increase, and tax increases have to be approved by the voters and this increase in tax would never be approved. The city needs money, so they come up with a rate increase rather than a tax increase.

Help the earth! Tell greens to stop expelling CO2!LOL everyone in Kalley-fornia, THIS is what you get when you go GREEN.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:38:44 AM »

You will always think taxation is stealing.  And its not a false guise, in the sense that its prudent.  The process of switching to alternative energy sources will not be without its growing pains.  

If California wants to get in good budget shape it won't be because things like this stop.  things like this are good.  what's bad is the millions and billions in special interest lobbying that buy off politicians to get their BS pet projects funded combined with a bloated bureaucracy.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
You will always think taxation is stealing.  And its not a false guise, in the sense that its prudent.  The process of switching to alternative energy sources will not be without its growing pains.  

If California wants to get in good budget shape it won't be because things like this stop.  things like this are good.  what's bad is the millions and billions in special interest lobbying that buy off politicians to get their BS pet projects funded combined with a bloated bureaucracy.

Can't tell that to 333.  Everyone is stealing from him  ::) 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »

Yes it will because productive people sick of paying for this insanity will leave and you will only have the illegals and other left.  Do you have any clue how many people have left CA already dur to this craziness?  Millions.  

We are closely reaching the breaking point and I am telling you, McVeigh is going to look like Bart Simpson if the govt keeps squeezing people like this.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:53:34 AM »
California exodus turns to stampede
High taxes drive jobs, people from one state to another

Posted: February 20, 2008
8:00 pm Eastern

© 2010 WorldNetDaily

WASHINGTON – California, which once lured Americans from near and far, is now driving out millions of the most productive residents – including high percentages of the most affluent.

"When California faced a Mount Everest-sized $14 billion deficit in 2003, one of the major causes for the red ink was the stampede of millionaire households from the state," says a report called "Rich States, Poor States" by economists Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore. "Out of the 25,000 or so seven-figure-income families, more than 5,000 left in the early 2000s, and the loss of their tax payments accounted for about half the budget hole."

And it's not just the rich leaving.

Based on data from moving companies, California had the second-highest domestic population out-flow of any state in 2005, according to the report, "despite the beautiful weather, beaches, and mountains."

The bad news for California is that it faces a $14 billion deficit this year, despite boasting one of the highest tax burdens in the nation.

The report, published by the American Legislative Exchange Council shows jobs are not just leaving the country – they are moving from state to state, with the population following.

"States are in direct competition with each other for human capital and business investment. State governments that think they can attract jobs and people, and grow their economies, by taxing their citizens at a higher rate than their neighbors are sadly mistaken," said Democratic Arkansas state Sen. Steve Faris, ALEC's 2008 national chairman. "Legislators should take a close look at where their state ranks in this book and use it as a tool to help them improve."

Moore told the Heartland Institute he is discouraged that government officials at all levels apparently have failed to recognize the benefits of tax cuts, spending controls, and open markets.

"We've gone from $25 trillion to $56 trillion of asset value in 25 years," said Moore. "Policies that were enacted in the 1980s to bring this about are being reversed."

Laffer's "Laffer Curve" analysis of tax rates, economic growth, and government revenues shaped the tax-cutting policies of the Reagan administration in the 1980s. Laffer served as a member of President Ronald Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board for both of Reagan's terms as president. Moore is founder of the Club for Growth and senior economics writer and editorial board member at the Wall Street Journal.

The report provides economic competitiveness rankings for all 50 states based on 16 policy variables with a proven effect on the migration of people and investment capital in and out of states. States with the lowest tax, spending, and regulatory burdens win the competitiveness contest. These are primarily in the South and Southwest regions of the nation.

According to the findings, a record 8 million Americans moved from one state to another in 2006, revealing which states have the most dynamic and desirable economies and which are "has-been" states, according to Laffer and Moore.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »
Yes it will because productive people sick of paying for this insanity will leave and you will only have the illegals and other left.  Do you have any clue how many people have left CA already dur to this craziness?  Millions.  

We are closely reaching the breaking point and I am telling you, McVeigh is going to look like Bart Simpson if the govt keeps squeezing people like this.  

I happen to live in California.  And people aren't leaving just because of that.  
(They leave for many reasons) And they are building new homes out here again.  

I think you are closely reaching the breaking point because of your POV.  Creating 16K jobs is a GOOD thing.  Alternative energy is a good.

All that other crap i listed is if far and away more impacting to what you are talking about here.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »
I happen to live in California.  And people aren't leaving just because of that.  

I think you are closely reaching the breaking point because of your POV.  Creating 16K jobs is a GOOD thing.  Alternative energy is a good.

All that other crap i listed is if far and away more impacting to what you are talking about here.

No its not a good thing when the money is simply being siphoned from others to pay for this that is being done by compulsion and not true market demand. 

If this is a good thing, then why dont we just take 50% of everyones' money and put the 30 million americans who cand find work jobs? 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »

You might be living there, but maybe you are too naive to realize what is going on around you.

I see you didn't dispute that people are leaving. They are leaving for economic reasons and this will pile it up nicely. Yeah, CA is doing just great!!!

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
head in the sand - oil will last forever logic.   ::)
Abandon every hope...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »
You might be living there, but maybe you are too naive to realize what is going on around you.

I see you didn't dispute that people are leaving. They are leaving for economic reasons and this will pile it up nicely. Yeah, CA is doing just great!!!

Not trying to say California is doing great.  Where did you get that idea? 

On the point of this thread which is based on the posted article, is not why people are leaving.  What they are doing here is good a thing IMO.  All the rest of the crap i listed, if you care to scroll up and read is why California is in bad shape.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
No its not a good thing when the money is simply being siphoned from others to pay for this that is being done by compulsion and not true market demand. 

If this is a good thing, then why dont we just take 50% of everyones' money and put the 30 million americans who cand find work jobs? 

Market demand isn't always pointed in the direction that's needed or prudent.  Market demand isn't always the decider of what's good or bad.

Something that promotes alternative power sources and provides jobs is not a bad thing.  The things I listed above are.

Why don't more people focus on that crap?  Because its that crap were the billions of wasted over spend dollars lie that result in higher taxes.  Instead we are whining about something like this?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »

This is just what's on the fucking surface.  I bet we'd find triple this stuff if a accountant and slashing corporate exec when through it with a fine tooth comb. 

And you are tripping about 16,000 jobs created for something that's pointed in the right direction?
________________________ ________________________ _____________

http://savecalifornia.com/ca-release-3-31-09-taxpayer-revolt-brewing-against-california-legislature.html

SAVECALIFORNIA.COM NEWS RELEASE
March 31, 2009 -- For Immediate Release

Taxpayer Revolt Brewing Against California Legislature
Higher taxes, government waste spur fed-up Californians to protest April 15

Click here to view a PDF of this release with documentation links »

Sacramento, California -- With a new $8 billion deficit projected for the 2009-2010 fiscal year, fed-up Californians are planning to protest April 15 against high taxes and big government. Similar protests are planned nationwide.

In support of the Tax Day Tea Parties is SaveCalifornia.com, a leading California family values organization, which is warning state legislators not to even think of raising taxes or fees again.

"Even if the ruling Democrats don't recognize the folly of subsidizing laziness and illegal immigration, surely they can recognize billions in government waste from duplicative agencies, overpriced services, bloated salaries and outright fraud," said SaveCalifornia.com President Randy Thomasson.

"We're laying down the line," said Thomasson. "Raising taxes again on hard-working families is completely unacceptable. Families and businesses have to cut wasteful habits to survive; so must our bloated government. If Democrats or Republicans raise taxes again, 2010 is going to be a rough election year. Making California families pay $1,000 in new taxes is already punishment enough at the hands of our foolish, selfish, tax-and-spend politicians."

SaveCalifornia.com is helping fed-up citizens call and email Governor Schwarzenegger and their state legislators. The pro-family organization is especially urging Californians to attend the April 15 Tax Day Tea Parties.

At least 36 public protests against higher taxes and big government are scheduled for Atascadero, Bakersfield, Chico, El Cajon, Escondido, Eureka, Fresno, Glendale, Hollister, Los Angeles (two locations), Merced, Modesto, Napa, Norco, Oceanside, Palm Desert, Rancho Cucamonga, Redding, Redlands, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego (two locations), San Francisco, San Jose, San Mateo, Santa Ana, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Stockton, Temecula, Valencia, Ventura, Victorville and Yucaipa.

"Hard-working Californians are fed-up with our wasteful, tax-and-spend government that is hurting families and individuals," said Thomasson. "California state government has gotten so bad, it is punishing families that raise and feed their own children by levying a pseudo-tax of $210 per child. People who know that stealing is wrong will loudly protest oppressive taxes and big government at the April 15 Tax Day Tea Parties happening up and down California and across the nation."

For expert commentary on California's government waste, contact Tom Hudson, executive director of the California Taxpayer Protection Committee, at 916-445-3986.

Instead of raising taxes again, massive waste in California government must be eliminated:

1. Duplicative agencies: Instead of one agency handling taxes like in other states, California has four tax agencies that are duplicative, inefficient, confusing to taxpayers, competitive with each other and losing money. This is just one of many areas of state government where, collectively, billions of dollars and untold amounts of time are being wasted through poor organization, overlapping functions, outdated thinking, and bad financial stewardship.

2. Health care fraud and waste: Much of the state's waste comes from Health and Human Services, which amounts to one-third of the state budget. Fraud is rampant in Food Stamps, Medi-Cal and CalWORKS programs. In 2004, the California Performance Review noted, "The Legislative Analyst's Office has put the estimated loss due to fraud in the Medi-Cal program at $1.8 billion annually. Some other estimates go as high as $3 billion." In addition, duplicative agency functions are scattered among several departments, wasting precious funds.

3. Unemployment payments: The Unemployment Insurance Fund is going broke because it places too many people on unemployment, including those fired for misconduct, those not truly seeking work, seasonal workers, ineligible workers, those working other jobs, and deceitful claims. Fraud is definitely part of the $7 billion in annual payments, exacerbated by allowing people to file claims by phone or online and easily qualify rather than appearing in person to provide evidence and undergo examination. Unemployment checks are being mailed out of state to non-Californians and are going to illegal aliens in violation of federal law. Other crimes occur when a fraudster changes a recipients' mailing address online or by phone to his own address. Meanwhile, millions of dollars are being wasted each month on the Employment Development Department's dysfunctional phone system.

4. Government employees and commissions: Bloated salaries, pensions and benefits that vastly outweigh the private sector are weighing down the state budget. In tax year 2007, the State of California had more than 38,000 full-time employees with each being paid more than $100,000. In addition, the University of California had more than 17,000 employees with each being paid more than $100,000 in fiscal year 2006-2007. Very high salaries for state boards and commissions, which only meet once or twice a month, is another well-known example of government waste.

5. Prevailing wage: Conforming California's prevailing wage laws to the federal Davis-Bacon Act would save about $1 billion per year in state construction projects. California's inflated prevailing wage commonly adds 30% to costs.

6. Workers' compensation: Conforming California's workers' compensation laws to Arizona's laws, for example, would save state and local governments $2.5 billion per year. More savings would be realized by stepping up efforts to prevent fraud. Requiring physicians to verify claims should be the norm, not the exception. Unfortunately, California's workers' compensation system commonly allows 104 weeks -- two years -- of "temporary disability" benefits without requiring a medical professional to regularly validate whether the disability is real and the employer-paid benefits justified. What's more, the deceitful practice of allowing ex-cons to collect workers' compensation based on a premeditated "slip and fall" at a jail or prison must be eliminated.

7. Prisons: The average cost per inmate in California is about $49,000, twice the cost to run prisons in other states. For example, the average cost per inmate in Florida is under $20,000. A private prison in Oklahoma, which contracts with Arizona, cost only $47.65 a day per inmate, or $17,392.25 per year, in 2007.

According to the California Legislative Analyst's Office, "The average cost to incarcerate an inmate has more than doubled over the past 20 years from about $19,000 in 1988-89 to about $49,000 in 2008-09, an average annual increase of roughly 5 percent." This overspending problem was escalated in 2002, when Democrat Gov. Gray Davis gave the prison guards' union a massive 33.76% pay hike and shut down five private prisons that threatened the union's monopoly.
Since then, overtime and excessive costs have made corrections the fastest-growing part of the state budget. Reducing expenses by reining in bloated salaries, privatizing prisons and following the lower-cost model of federal prisons would result in substantial savings.

In addition to bloated prison costs, skyrocketing prison medical expenditures must be placed on an immediate diet. As the Associated Press reports, "Annual health care spending has soared from $2,714 in 1995 to $13,778 this year for each of the state's 171,000 inmates, according to the state Department of Finance. While the receiver's office disputes the state's cost figure, California's inmate health care costs are high compared to other states. University of Texas researchers found California averages $6,935 annually on each inmate's direct care, while Ohio and Texas each spend less than $4,300. New York spends $5,813, while Florida averages $4,330 on inmate health care, about the same as the federal prison system."

Adding to these costs is the obvious fact that most convicted murderers in California prisons are dying natural deaths with very expensive prison health care instead of receiving the death penalty even though that was their well-deserved sentence.

8. Government schools: California public schools receive more than 40% of the state budget yet have chronic problems: bureaucratic waste, low academic performance, high drop-out rates, lack of discipline, lack of accountability, language confusion, negative socialization, sexualization, violence, etc. Private schools operated by churches usually educate for half the price that the public schools charge taxpayers, with usually much higher achievement levels and parental satisfaction.

In the mid-1960s, California had an admirable public school system and spent $3,000 per pupil in year-2000 inflation adjusted dollars. Now, California taxpayers spend much more for a vastly lower quality of education. Current per-pupil spending statewide averages $11,626, a 27% increase in real, inflation-adjusted terms over the past decade. But all these billions of dollars aren't meeting the academic needs of children. And still, the well-moneyed government employee unions continue to call for more spending and higher taxes, which shouldn't even be considered when public school enrollment is declining.

California government schools are not poor, but misspend much of the $40 billion in state general-fund spending for K-12 public education they receive each year. The Pacific Research Institute study, Citizens' Guide to California Public School Finance, found that California's per-pupil spending is as high as $15,000 or $20,000 per pupil, depending on the district. According to the landmark 2007 education study, Getting Down to Facts, "Solely directing more money into the current system will not dramatically improve student achievement and will meet neither expectations nor needs."

9. Illegal aliens: Subsidizing illegal immigration and non-English languages costs California more than $10 billion per year. The drain of taxpayer funds is felt in the public schools, the state welfare system, the unemployment insurance fund, jails and prisons, and much more under Health and Human Services.

Illegal immigration is not just a federal problem. The California Legislature has undertaken no serious effort to place citizens' needs first at emergency rooms or report employment violations to federal authorities. What's more, California doesn't have firm laws mandating English immersion in schools or requiring English-only government forms and voting pamphlets. Between 1990 and 2004, dysfunctional illegal immigration policies helped close 70 California hospital emergency rooms and trauma centers. More than 42 percent of California's taxpayer-funded, Medi-Cal births are to illegal immigrant mothers. In Los Angeles County alone, the total cost of illegal immigration to taxpayers exceeds $1 billion per year, not counting education. Every month, $37 million in welfare and food stamps goes to illegal aliens and their families in Los Angeles County.

L.A. County Supervisor Mike Antonovich reports, "Within this County's health care delivery system, illegals are being treated at a cost of about $400 million dollars a year. The cost alone to our Criminal Justice system for the 25 percent of the illegals that up the jail population exceeds 250 million dollars a year. Additionally, illegals collect over $240 million in CALWORKS payments and $180 million in food stamp allocations. These costs alone exceed one billion dollars annually -- excluding the cost of education."

Five closings of hospital emergency rooms in 2003 and 2004 in LA County were largely caused by illegal aliens seeking "free" medical care. The head of the Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency stated that the cost of treating thousands of uninsured (illegal immigrant) is severely distressing hospitals.

Last year, hospital administrator Carol Plato testified to the Florida Legislature how just one hospitalized illegal immigrant cost her medical center $1.5 million. These high-cost occurrences in California, which has more than three times the illegal alien population of Florida, are likely draining funds from California hospitals at a greater magnitude.

10. Surplus property: Billions of dollars in revenue could be easily realized by the sale of thousands of acres of unused or underused property. In 2004, the California Performance Review noted, "The State of California owns millions of acres of real estate, plus more than 22,000 structures. It owns golf courses. It owns a stadium. It owns fairgrounds across the state, some located on patches of the state's choicest land." Last week, the California State Auditor criticized the state Department of General Services and various state agencies for failing to identify and report excess property that could be sold off. Selling of the valuable land under the antiquated San Quentin Prison could yield $2 billion alone.

Government leaders and voters would be wise to follow the substantial recommendations of the California Performance Review, which, in 2004, laid out a plan to save $32 billion over five years by eliminating duplicative bureaucracies, improving internal systems, stamping out fraud, and requiring performance-based budgeting. Now, more than ever, these sensible reforms need to be implemented.
-- end --
SaveCalifornia.com is a leading West Coast nonprofit, nonpartisan organization representing children and families. We stand for marriage and family, parental rights, the sanctity of human life, religious freedom, financial freedom, and back-to-basics education.
________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____

Here's some more

http://www.apatheticvoter.com/GovernmentWaste-CA.htm