Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 431561 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #950 on: February 17, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
Excellent read...I have had similar pain recently delt RIght side.doing what you did and tried around it best I can.worked around the pain ,did not shut it down like you.probably should of .made some adjustments and recently improved enough to get presses back up dB for chest and fr press .lost a bit of strength but not enough to hurt my ego,had to let it go.

Go to that site I was talking about. Some excellent stuff about how to modify exercises. Stretch the hell out of your shoulder too. Using 5 different stretches for my shoulder. Lifting weights ultimately isn't a natural thing. Years and decades of lifting leads to a lost of range in a joint. Benching is the worst for making shoulders tight.

Another point that I touched upon on my post is many exercises for bodybuilding with barbells and dumbbells are flat out bad for joints. I talked about two, the pec dumbbell fly and the delt lateral dumbbell raise. Both close the gap that the delt tendon passes through causing the tendon to inflame and cause pain. I'm beginning to think doing calf exercises with an extreme stretch under load is really bad for the Achilles.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #951 on: February 17, 2020, 06:31:17 PM »
Doing mild cardio and stretching. Walked fast for 90 minutes today. Also working on flexibility.  I had my first day of physical therapy. The Physical therapist who has his PHD said shockingly that he read the notes from the Orthopedic Surgeon but something else is going on in addition to the partially torn rotator cuff. He said I do have a partially torn rotator cuff but my strength in what is still attached is excellent. He said the pain is coming from impingement.  He talked at length the tests he did and the symptoms I exhibit. He said the tendon is being crunched and is being inflamed causing a lot of pain. He said the good thing is that MRI shows a partially torn rotator cuff but testing its strength is excellent to reiterate. Seeing this guy three times a week. I will see how it progresses. No lifting for now.

I'm reading everything I can about impingement and lifting. There is a guy on youtube who was the physical therapist for the NY Mets. He's an avid lifter.  His site on youtube is AthleanX. I use to watch his videos and thought it was just a gimmick and foolishly disagreed with a lot of what he had to say. Wow, was I wrong. Now from what I have learned from reading, talking to my orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist is that he really makes a lot of sense. So much of what we do in lifting could be improved but we rely on empirical knowledge gained from the champs. Considering how many have wrecked shoulders like Arnold, Zane, Stallone, Draper, Ferrigno, Corney and so many more maybe we can learn something from these new age experts.  One thing I won't do again is dumbbell flies for the chest.  Better ways to do it with cables and that technique is on the site Athlean X. Another thing that aggravates impingement are stuff like upright rows and dumbbell side laterals for delts. The best way is not to pretend to pour a pitcher of water. Stuff like that are not good for delt health. Seen the best way is to bend over slightly and keep the thumb up and that opens up the shoulder instead of crunching the tendon.  Just little tricks of kinesiology matters.  Another example is benching. Keeping the elbows out while benching has been called the bodybuilding method to build big pecs. The safer method is to keep the elbows closer to the sides of your body like power lifters do. This old dog is learning new tricks. Just learned a new way to curl that I never thought of.  Also learned of new way to train the rear delt that is healthier for the delt. I will save it for another post.

As you are being reminded, our bodies are very complex. Seems like you are in good hands now between your doctor and your physical therapist. My guess is as long as you continue to follow their advice, you'll see improvement in injury caused pain in your deltoids. What you said about dumbbell flies makes excellent sense. I never attempted very much weight doing those. My preference is using a pec deck....similar movement with much less stress on the delts, I would imagine.

My current routine includes upright rows. I do them using cables and very light weight which works for me. I can't manage side laterals using a cable for some reason, so I just use really light dumbbells....like 15 lbs or less. The other day I did them using 7.5 lbs. One might say, why bother. Here's why. I actually felt it, but in a good way not an 'uh oh' way.  :)

No gym for me Saturday, Sunday and today. Saturday and Sunday, not only was my back acting up, so was my gut. Today, I had a board meeting which is held in another city about 50 miles away from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. After stopping for a French Dip sandwich for lunch on the way home, I was bumping up against commuter traffic. So, keeping my fingers crossed the back and stomach are good tomorrow, because I have nothing else going on that cuts into my gym time.

I weighed 180 lbs. this morning. I actually feel better at 175 lbs. and my clothes fit better. I had cottage cheese, OJ and coffee for breakfast; screwed lunch with the French Dip and fries and going for a light dinner tonight...probably an Evol frozen entrée which is less than 400 calories.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #952 on: February 18, 2020, 09:35:03 AM »
90 minute fast walk again and stretching. Doing a lot of research on alternate exercises and physical therapy. Old dogs and learn new tricks.

Prime keep working out. It troubles me you are doing upright rows. Many can get away with them for a time, sometimes decades but they close the space the delt tendon runs through and that could lead to a host of problems. Try two dumbbells for upright rows but do them with the thumbs up lead all the way to the top. That's external rotation and a safer way of doing it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #953 on: February 18, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »
90 minute fast walk again and stretching. Doing a lot of research on alternate exercises and physical therapy. Old dogs and learn new tricks.

Prime keep working out. It troubles me you are doing upright rows. Many can get away with them for a time, sometimes decades but they close the space the delt tendon runs through and that could lead to a host of problems. Try two dumbbells for upright rows but do them with the thumbs up lead all the way to the top. That's external rotation and a safer way of doing it.

Thanks. I will give the dumbbell upright rows a try. I've done them using free weights on a bar and more recently using cable with no issues. My current resistance level is a mere 60 lbs. Another exercise which doesn't seem to adversely affect me is good-mornings. I've done them with no added resistance and I've done them with a fairly light barbell across my shoulders. Dead lifts, on the other, hand have become almost impossible because of my weakened arthritic grip.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #954 on: February 18, 2020, 07:34:03 PM »

I begrudgingly like you stopped all upright rows they are painful now.i can somewhat pull off cable version .

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #955 on: February 19, 2020, 01:49:40 PM »
I begrudgingly like you stopped all upright rows they are painful now.i can somewhat pull off cable version .

You have to externally rotate to open the joint. This can be accomplished by using dummbells and thumbs rotated to the ceiling as the dumbbells rise. At the ending with thumbs pointing behind you at the top. You can also do this with a rope. Once the concept of external rotation is realized so many exercises can be modified. Go on that Athleanx site. You will see there examples of what I'm talking about.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2020, 01:55:00 PM »
Walked for five miles today. Tried to keep the pace up but sometimes I start to day dream. After I did about 20 minute of stretching for the calves, lower back, legs and shoulders. I just said the hell with stretching for so many years. Maybe a little here and there. I think I'm dangerously tight. Shocked how much progress I have made especially with my calves and shoulders. Most big bench press guys are stiff as a board with shoulders and pecs increasing the odds of a tear.

An example of how may day went today. It’s not easy being me. Decided to go to Walmart to buy some very light dumbbells to rehab my bad shoulder. While I’m there I thought, I could use new underwear. Walking toward the cash register I see bananas so I got them too. I realize there are no cashiers at all in Walmart. Only self check out. I’m stuck. I can’t figure out how to pay for bananas. I look like a lunatic. I’m the guy that likes to hang out in my underwear eating bananas lifting dumbbells. A worker yells, “At six help the guy with the bananas.” I go from Walmart to the park. Guess again, I’m walking to rehab a bad calf. I see a lady walking a dog. Thought I would make her laugh. I said, “Your dog looks like my Uncle Fred.” She grabs the dog and puts him in the car peeling out from the park. An old man sitting on a park bench is laughing hysterically over and over again saying, “Uncle Fred, uncle Fred!” Then I stepped in dog shit. I want a do over for today. Going to bed for a few hours and waking up again. Going to try this day again. Now heading to the physical therapist.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #957 on: February 19, 2020, 02:04:29 PM »
Walked for five miles today. Tried to keep the pace up but sometimes I start to day dream. After I did about 20 minute of stretching for the calves, lower back, legs and shoulders. I just said the hell with stretching for so many years. Maybe a little here and there. I think I'm dangerously tight. Shocked how much progress I have made especially with my calves and shoulders. Most big bench press guys are stiff as a board with shoulders and pecs increasing the odds of a tear.

An example of how may day went today. It’s not easy being me. Decided to go to Walmart to buy some very light dumbbells to rehab my bad shoulder. While I’m there I thought, I could use new underwear. Walking toward the cash register I see bananas so I got them too. I realize there are no cashiers at all in Walmart. Only self check out. I’m stuck. I can’t figure out how to pay for bananas. I look like a lunatic. I’m the guy that likes to hang out in my underwear eating bananas lifting dumbbells. A worker yells, “At six help the guy with the bananas.” I go from Walmart to the park. Guess again, I’m walking to rehab a bad calf. I see a lady walking a dog. Thought I would make her laugh. I said, “Your dog looks like my Uncle Fred.” She grabs the dog and puts him in the car peeling out from the park. An old man sitting on a park bench is laughing hysterically over and over again saying, “Uncle Fred, uncle Fred!” Then I stepped in dog shit. I want a do over for today. Going to bed for a few hours and waking up again. Going to try this day again. Now heading to the physical therapist.  

Seems like you've had quite a day. Lucky that it is still early enough to give it another try.  ;D

2 lb. dumbbells at Walmart

Haynes tighty whitey's
[/img]

A dog named Fred....seriously!   Fred is famous for adopting 9 ducklings.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #958 on: February 20, 2020, 10:15:08 AM »
Went to physical therapy. Wow are there a lot of banged up people there. The therapist yanked on my arm in various positions. I don't know if it's temporary but there was no catches.  Most of the snap crackle and pop is gone from the shoulder. No sticking points raising my arm.  I left there and walked fast for 5.5 miles.  A couple of slow 50 yard runs thrown in when I felt like it. After that I stretched for 20 minutes or so. My shoulders have a lot more mobility so I'm gong in a forward direction. Flexibility is always an after thought with me. I felt as long as I could sprint, run, lift weights, punch and other athletics who cares if I could bend my self into Gumby. I guess I forgotten how it safe guards against injuries. A tight joint is a joint waiting for an injury to occur. Too much flexibility is no good too but there is a sweet spot. I'm as inflexible as man made out of brick. Working on it.

Off to my part time retirement job. There's a girl there dating a chiropractor for long time. He had a shoulder operation then during recovery he had a horrible infection. That led to a second operation to the same shoulder. The guy was out of work for a year. He had to bring in other chiropractors to run his business. Then when he thought he could go back his other shoulder when bad and he had an operation on the other one. I believe he lost his business and is out of work. Looking at him his ordeal has seemingly destroyed his health because he looks sickly to me. These labrum, rotator cuff, tendon repairs seem like every day ordinary operations  but when the go wrong they can fuck up your life. Heard of one guy who was a gym rat  who said after his rotator cuff surgery his shoulder was done and it was nothing but high reps and light reps from now on. He could no longer lift heavy or even medium weights.

Wife wants me to take a month off from lifting. Going to take two weeks off then reevaluate.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #959 on: February 20, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »
Went to physical therapy. Wow are there a lot of banged up people there. The therapist yanked on my arm in various positions. I don't know if it's temporary but there was no catches.  Most of the snap crackle and pop is gone from the shoulder. No sticking points raising my arm.  I left there and walked fast for 5.5 miles.  A couple of slow 50 yard runs thrown in when I felt like it. After that I stretched for 20 minutes or so. My shoulders have a lot more mobility so I'm gong in a forward direction. Flexibility is always an after thought with me. I felt as long as I could sprint, run, lift weights, punch and other athletics who cares if I could bend my self into Gumby. I guess I forgotten how it safe guards against injuries. A tight joint is a joint waiting for an injury to occur. Too much flexibility is no good too but there is a sweet spot. I'm as inflexible as man made out of brick. Working on it.

Off to my part time retirement job. There's a girl there dating a chiropractor for long time. He had a shoulder operation then during recovery he had a horrible infection. That led to a second operation to the same shoulder. The guy was out of work for a year. He had to bring in other chiropractors to run his business. Then when he thought he could go back his other shoulder when bad and he had an operation on the other one. I believe he lost his business and is out of work. Looking at him his ordeal has seemingly destroyed his health because he looks sickly to me. These labrum, rotator cuff, tendon repairs seem like every day ordinary operations  but when the go wrong they can fuck up your life. Heard of one guy who was a gym rat  who said after his rotator cuff surgery his shoulder was done and it was nothing but high reps and light reps from now on. He could no longer lift heavy or even medium weights.

Wife wants me to take a month off from lifting. Going to take two weeks off then reevaluate.

You are doing great. Take your recovery one day at a time and take as much time as you need to reevaluate how much or what exercises you can do safely. For now, go with what the experts say you should be doing and you will continue to heal and feel better and better. Don't do too much to soon. That could be counterproductive.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #960 on: February 20, 2020, 09:55:43 PM »
Seems like you've had quite a day. Lucky that it is still early enough to give it another try.  ;D

2 lb. dumbbells at Walmart

Haynes tighty whitey's
[/img]

A dog named Fred....seriously!   Fred is famous for adopting 9 ducklings.

That is a very full set of balls.  You are asking for trouble by posting such a pic.  You know that, right?  LOL.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #961 on: February 21, 2020, 12:14:01 AM »
That is a very full set of balls.  You are asking for trouble by posting such a pic.  You know that, right?  LOL.

Hmm, you're right. I hadn't noticed. I must be slipping!  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #962 on: February 21, 2020, 03:04:29 PM »
Broken record here. Walked 6 miles fast outside.  Threw in about five 40 yard stride runs. No where near a sprint. I did a bunch of stretching when I got back.

Going to take one more week away from lifting and then reevaluate with the physical therapist. The physical therapist isn't in shape in the traditional sense. He's a ball room dancer and is proud he can twist himself into a pretzel because he is so flexible. He is skinny with no muscle and a small pot stomach. He's about 60 years old. When I bring up lifting he has a general idea about it but a weight room gym rat would realize quickly he doesn't lift and has never lifted. His first question he asked me about my lifting was how much can you bench? When I told him I don't bench he never asked how much can you clean and jerk, snatch, deadlift or squat?

The shoulder has no catches and the popcorn noise when I move the arm is just about gone. I will go over the exercise substitutions I will use when I get back to lifting. Some unusual exercises I will be using. All substituted to preserve and improve shoulder health. On a later post.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #963 on: February 22, 2020, 06:31:58 AM »
Incline walking on the treadmill today at 3.8 mph.  I was on for 55 minutes as soon as I woke up.  Surprisingly lost five pounds this week. I’m sure some of it is water but my face is getting thinner.  Did a little over 32 miles for the week. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #964 on: February 22, 2020, 10:26:20 AM »
Incline walking on the treadmill today at 3.8 mph.  I was on for 55 minutes as soon as I woke up.  Surprisingly lost five pounds this week. I’m sure some of it is water but my face is getting thinner.  Did a little over 32 miles for the week. 
COOL,you wanted to lean out see where it goes ,post a pic when you at leanest point you wanted.then hit the weights again with new approach.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #965 on: February 22, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »

I'm not sure I can walk 3.8 mph without breaking into a run. I'll give it a try at the gym today. What did you have the incline set to?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #966 on: February 22, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »
COOL,you wanted to lean out see where it goes ,post a pic when you at leanest point you wanted.then hit the weights again with new approach.

I think I will use low sets to failure periodically now. Over 40 years of that now.  :-[  I think I will use more sets now for the most part. Hard to get ripped training for strength. I don't want to post pictures here. The coming photoshops would be brutal. LOL. I really have zero calf development. Since I don't use steroids and I have never called myself a bodybuilder I know the abuse from the peanut gallery would be coming. I consider myself an aging athlete. Taking another week off of lifting then maybe one more. The shoulder is really beginning to feel good. I will never be ripped at this age. I work out hard but I play hard too. Nothing better than floating in the pool having beers in the sun. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #967 on: February 22, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
I'm not sure I can walk 3.8 mph without breaking into a run. I'll give it a try at the gym today. What did you have the incline set to?

See a recent earlier post. I start at zero incline for one lap that is a quarter mile on most American treadmills. Every lap I go up in incline 1%. Looks like this. First lap 0% incline, second lap 1% incline, third lap 2% incline and so on. When I get to 12% incline I complete that lap and finish at an easy 0% incline. Nice workout. Low stress to joints. Nice relatively gentle stretch to the calf too. If you can go from 0% increasing 1% each lap all the way to 12% you should be a healthy range of cardio vascular strength.  Takes around 55 minutes if I remember correctly.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #968 on: February 22, 2020, 05:04:49 PM »
See a recent earlier post. I start at zero incline for one lap that is a quarter mile on most American treadmills. Every lap I go up in incline 1%. Looks like this. First lap 0% incline, second lap 1% incline, third lap 2% incline and so on. When I get to 12% incline I complete that lap and finish at an easy 0% incline. Nice workout. Low stress to joints. Nice relatively gentle stretch to the calf too. If you can go from 0% increasing 1% each lap all the way to 12% you should be a healthy range of cardio vascular strength.  Takes around 55 minutes if I remember correctly.

Seems like too much work. I'm not sure I could do 55 minutes straight of cardio without boring myself to death. Also, never tried a 12% incline. Cannot imagine that much incline while walking at 3.8 mph. Just posted about the today's cardio in my log. I did gradually increase the incline, starting at 2.5% while walking at 2.5 mph. Each minute I increased the speed by a tenth of a mile per hour. Raised the incline to match the speed in .5% increments. I ended up peaking at 3.8 mph with an incline of 3.5 over 20 minutes including the cool down.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #969 on: February 23, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »
Seems like too much work. I'm not sure I could do 55 minutes straight of cardio without boring myself to death. Also, never tried a 12% incline. Cannot imagine that much incline while walking at 3.8 mph. Just posted about the today's cardio in my log. I did gradually increase the incline, starting at 2.5% while walking at 2.5 mph. Each minute I increased the speed by a tenth of a mile per hour. Raised the incline to match the speed in .5% increments. I ended up peaking at 3.8 mph with an incline of 3.5 over 20 minutes including the cool down.

I either blast music or use no music. I find cardio gives me a lot of creative thoughts. It also is the best anti depressant I could imagine.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #970 on: February 23, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »
I either blast music or use no music. I find cardio gives me a lot of creative thoughts. It also is the best anti depressant I could imagine.

I probably have adult ADHD. My mind wanders from thought to thought. My attention span is lousy. One of my biggest downfalls is that I am incredibly impatient.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #971 on: February 23, 2020, 06:53:00 PM »
Tomorrow is another busy day. Can't wait to get back to lifting. Shoulder feels great. Very little pain. Going to take another week off lifting though. I also want to see how it feels off of the prescription anti inflammatory I'm on. Doc gave me the maximum dose so I'm wary that I'm feeling great but it could be the drugs and inflammation will bring back the pain when I stop taking the drug. Arthritis runs in the family. My sister was disabled from it when she reached about 64.  Her hands are mangled now at 71. My father had to take very short strides as he aged due to it.

I'm on the gun range bright and early tomorrow. Going to shoot 200 rounds. I got new glasses and I hope it will aid my lousy vision that keeps getting worse with age. My son is in the Army Airborne and has 20-15 vision and sees like an eagle. I wish I had that vision. After shooting comes a 6 mile fast walk then 20 minutes of stretches. Physical Therapy after that then  a plumber is coming over to look at a leaking pipe buried between floors in my house. Glad I got the day off of work.

Really itching to get back in the weight room. I know at the minimum I need another week or two off.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #972 on: February 24, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
Walked fast for a little under 6 miles. It's an out and back trail.  On the return I would occasionally break out into strides for about 40 yard runs.  I think I'm doing too much stretching. I have zero spring in my legs. The stretching for the shoulders though feels fantastic.  The physical therapist is using what looks like jui jitsu holds gently rotating my arm in the socket. The rotator cuff work is really too easy with light bands and baby dumbells.  He said it's all part of the plan to use those little pink dumbbells. I think I'm also healing my self with the twenty minutes of stretches I am doing now. Next Monday I think I'm going back to lifting.  

Looking over trying new splits, new exercises and different methods. It's hard to change what has worked for so many years.  I've actually been looking at Shawn Perrine's method for getting ripped.  He has an unusual method. This is from memory and I could have it wrong but this is his split. Day one: Back, bicep and forearms. Day two: Chest and Triceps. Day Three is thighs and shoulders. Abs is every workout and calves on two of the training days. Here's what's unusual about it.  He supersets an exercise for a body part that on that day is not dedicated to.  Sounds confusing but stay with me. If Day one is Back and bicep he will super set some chest and tricep on day one. Not anything taxing.  He might start back with hard chins. His super set with hard pull ups might be relatively non taxing push ups for chest. So it might be 4 sets of 10 pull ups and super setting 3 sets of push ups but not max pushups. On day one when he got to say curls for bicep he might superset high rep easy tricep rope push downs. So the primary muscles on the split gets worked hard but the secondary relatively easy.  So body parts get hit hard on their designated day but the body part resting gets stimulation on their rest day. I thought it was a very interesting twist on training. Every exercise that's a primary for that day gets a secondary non taxing stimulation for the resting body part. Anyway it's something to consider. So many ways to skin a cat but in the end it's just lifting weights and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #973 on: February 24, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »
Walked fast for a little under 6 miles. It's an out and back trail.  On the return I would occasionally break out into strides for about 40 yard runs.  I think I'm doing too much stretching. I have zero spring in my legs. The stretching for the shoulders though feels fantastic.  The physical therapist is using what looks like jui jitsu holds gently rotating my arm in the socket. The rotator cuff work is really too easy with light bands and baby dumbells.  He said it's all part of the plan to use those little pink dumbbells. I think I'm also healing my self with the twenty minutes of stretches I am doing now. Next Monday I think I'm going back to lifting.  

Looking over trying new splits, new exercises and different methods. It's hard to change what has worked for so many years.  I've actually been looking at Shawn Perrine's method for getting ripped.  He has an unusual method. This is from memory and I could have it wrong but this is his split. Day one: Back, bicep and forearms. Day two: Chest and Triceps. Day Three is thighs and shoulders. Abs is every workout and calves on two of the training days. Here's what's unusual about it.  He supersets an exercise for a body part that on that day is not dedicated to.  Sounds confusing but stay with me. If Day one is Back and bicep he will super set some chest and tricep on day one. Not anything taxing.  He might start back with hard chins. His super set with hard pull ups might be relatively non taxing push ups for chest. So it might be 4 sets of 10 pull ups and super setting 3 sets of push ups but not max pushups. On day one when he got to say curls for bicep he might superset high rep easy tricep rope push downs. So the primary muscles on the split gets worked hard but the secondary relatively easy.  So body parts get hit hard on their designated day but the body part resting gets stimulation on their rest day. I thought it was a very interesting twist on training. Every exercise that's a primary for that day gets a secondary non taxing stimulation for the resting body part. Anyway it's something to consider. So many ways to skin a cat but in the end it's just lifting weights and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it.

You said. "It is hard to change what has worked for years." Well, it seems to me it hasn't worked in every way. How did you wreck your shoulder? If it is a result of an exercise routine, you cannot say that routine worked to protect your shoulder from injury.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #974 on: February 24, 2020, 05:53:01 PM »
You said. "It is hard to change what has worked for years." Well, it seems to me it hasn't worked in every way. How did you wreck your shoulder? If it is a result of an exercise routine, you cannot say that routine worked to protect your shoulder from injury.
You make a valid point but in all athletics injuries are a part of the game. If you want to play it safe lift light weights or sit in a chair 16 hours a day.  Then you will die from stuff like heart disease and diabetes.

The best part of hurting my shoulder are the things I have learned about injury prevention.  Shoulder flexibility is a big one. Other things I learn is how so many standard exercises in bodybuilding can contribute to problems. Maybe not in a year. Maybe not in a decade but over time will lead to issues. Genetics also play a huge role in joint health.

I'm not comparing myself to professional elite drug using bodybuilders like Yates and Coleman but look at how they wrecked their bodies. I'm sure many will say they got stronger faster than their joints and structure could adapt to because of the drugs. When Yates said if he played it safe he would have his joint health but he wouldn't have been a world champ he was making a valid point. He pushed it to destruction.  Even in other sports like marathon running is pushed to the destruction of the body.  Marathon champs have a very short shelf life. The body can't take it. Same as MMA fighters but I digress. Reading World champ Alberto Salazar's biography shows the extremes he took to be a champion. He raced in 90 degree weather dueling other world class elite runners.   He pushed so hard he nearly died from a heart attack which I'm convinced was from taking his running to an extreme level of running 100 plus mile weeks at a sick pace.  If he played it safe and cut his running to 50 miles a week and slowed down he would be healthy today but he would have never been a champ.  I remember in Track in high school and college there was always the guy that was great but  had a lousy work ethic. Their superior innate talent made them good. Then you had someone like me with limited talent for sprinting but worked my ass off.

Off my soap box.  I look to forward to the near future where I will just log my training days here instead of talking about not being able to train because my body is wracked up. To reiterate I have learned a lot of good stuff about how to proceed with lifting. Safer ways of doing stuff. I remember when Bill Pearl wrote at 55 he stopped caring about what was on the bar. He called it hot dogging meaning showing off with heavy weights. A more ordinary gym rat like Clarence Bass had to give up dead lifts, clean and jerks and squats as he aged I believe I read. We are all an experiment of one with our unique characteristics. If we were all the same there would be only one optimal way to train. We all would be lifting on the same program with the same split and exercises.

One last note. I thought it would be fun to log my work outs and thoughts here. Now I wonder what I was thinking? I use to log my workouts for decades in note books. I have a big pile and many I have thrown out over the years. The past maybe five years I have used no log and often increasing the weight used wasn't a consideration. It was maintenance but pushed to the limit to maintain if that makes any sense. I remember Dave Draper said in effect at 55  your best days in bodybuilding are behind you. I find the guys that are making personal records left and right in training over 55 were the guys that never pushed the physical in their 20's and 30's. Of course they can make gains they never had before.

Enough pontificating. It's not fun nor interesting to read I know.