Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 431473 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1100 on: April 26, 2020, 05:40:30 AM »
This is Getbig.

We need pics or a video!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1101 on: April 26, 2020, 01:11:18 PM »
I have video of the car parade for the birthday but not of the hot mom dancing. I was too busy watching.

Ran three miles on the treadmill again with a quarter mile fast walk warm up and fast walk quarter mile cool down so 3.5 miles of cardio.  I picked up the pace from yesterday. Trying to cut down on my drinking. Only working two days a week now so it feels like I'm on vacation all the time.  Too much time on my hands and the wife keeps the garage fridge stocked with beer. Bad combination.  I am lucky to have a decent home gym.  I think of all my friends at the commercial gym. A lot of dedicated guys. They must be really pissed. One contacted me I believe hinting if he could train at my house but wife said absolutely no and she is right. He lives in town that is a bad hot spot for the virus here in NJ and we watch our grand daughter. Feel really bad I can't make the offer. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1102 on: April 26, 2020, 11:47:34 PM »
Today I ordered reusable masks with insert charcoal filters plus a box of 50 extra filters from Amazon for all of us here at the house. Hope they arrive before we don't need them any longer.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1103 on: April 28, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »
Today I ordered reusable masks with insert charcoal filters plus a box of 50 extra filters from Amazon for all of us here at the house. Hope they arrive before we don't need them any longer.

Just realize a Chinese guy handled your masks.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1104 on: April 29, 2020, 11:54:51 AM »
Back and chest:

Power cleans 4 x 6 (felt good doing a fast movement again. Kept the reps high so the weight would be relatively light)

Pulldown with a M.A.G. bar 2 x 12
Seated lat pulley rows 2 x 12 ( I normally use a traditional V handle attachment. This time I used one that is slightly wider. I have so many attachments. Figure I would try something different.)
Dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10
Single arm pulldown standing 2 x 12 (Felt a little awkward.  See picture below)

Bench press 3 x 8 (Used a light weight. Swore I would never do them again. Kept elbows very close to the body)
Decline Dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Dips 2 x 10 (Went deep with these.  As with the bench I went slow and controlled. )
Push ups 2 x max (One regular and one with perfect push up handles. Beginning to think these are the healthiest thing you can do for your shoulders.)

Weighted Hyper extensions 2 x 15

Incline situps 1 x 25
Pulley crunches 1 x 50
Incline roman chair 1 x max. (felt pain in my lower back doing these. Might drop them.)

Gym Observations: Actually happened yesterday.  I was in the back yard with the wife listening to music off a Bose speaker having some cocktails.  Those little speakers sound great but I digress.  I started to do a comical dance to make my wife smile. Then that dance broke into some crazy free style. I'm Cuban and Puerto Rican so it's in my DNA to move to music, lol.  She was laughing at my comedy moves. When I was finished I saw in the next yard over a whole mess of people were out on a deck staring at me.  ;D They couldn't see my wife laughing cause she was off to the side smoking a cigarette by my garage.  So here I am doing a dance that would make Jerry Lewis proud apparently all by myself.  It ain't easy being me. When can I show my face again in the neighborhood?  Then again I don't want to live in a world where you can't spontaneously break into a dance.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1105 on: April 29, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »
That's a good one!   ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1106 on: April 29, 2020, 12:47:00 PM »
Back and chest:

Power cleans 4 x 6 (felt good doing a fast movement again. Kept the reps high so the weight would be relatively light)

Pulldown with a M.A.G. bar 2 x 12
Seated lat pulley rows 2 x 12 ( I normally use a traditional V handle attachment. This time I used one that is slightly wider. I have so many attachments. Figure I would try something different.)
Dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10
Single arm pulldown standing 2 x 12 (Felt a little awkward.  See picture below)

Bench press 3 x 8 (Used a light weight. Swore I would never do them again. Kept elbows very close to the body)
Decline Dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Dips 2 x 10 (Went deep with these.  As with the bench I went slow and controlled. )
Push ups 2 x max (One regular and one with perfect push up handles. Beginning to think these are the healthiest thing you can do for your shoulders.)

Weighted Hyper extensions 2 x 15

Incline situps 1 x 25
Pulley crunches 1 x 50
Incline roman chair 1 x max. (felt pain in my lower back doing these. Might drop them.)

Gym Observations: Actually happened yesterday.  I was in the back yard with the wife listening to music off a Bose speaker having some cocktails.  Those little speakers sound great but I digress.  I started to do a comical dance to make my wife smile. Then that dance broke into some crazy free style. I'm Cuban and Puerto Rican so it's in my DNA to move to music, lol.  She was laughing at my comedy moves. When I was finished I saw in the next yard over a whole mess of people were out on a deck staring at me.  ;D They couldn't see my wife laughing cause she was off to the side smoking a cigarette by my garage.  So here I am doing a dance that would make Jerry Lewis proud apparently all by myself.  It ain't easy being me. When can I show my face again in the neighborhood?  Then again I don't want to live in a world where you can't spontaneously break into a dance.
cool...i tried this i saw video pro in my area training client pushup start 1 rep to top count 4 secs then 2 reps 4 secs,3 reps 4 seconds ect,,,i did 2 sets i did 8 reps 1st round then second round got up to 7 reps..its tough.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1107 on: April 30, 2020, 11:43:05 AM »
Cardio day: 

1. Walked fast at 3.8MPH for a quarter mile
2. Ran a mile at a moderate pace
3. 4 x quarter miles. Each one faster than the last
4. Cool down of a 3.8 MPH for a quarter mile

Hit the heavy bag for two three minute rounds.

Tried something a power lifting friend recommended.  Hung dead from a pull up bar with a supinate grip. He said it really helped his bad shoulder. I did two 12 second hangs. I will keep it up for a couple of days. He really knows training having competed at a very high level. He looks at things through with  a narrow viewpoint of power lifting but he knows his stuff.  I have zero interest in power lifting but I will heavily consider any advice he gives me. He has been competing for decades and has trained with many world class lifters.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1108 on: April 30, 2020, 12:00:14 PM »
Did you feel any relief in your shoulders by hanging from the bar? Doing this makes sense since it is basically a stretch. It seems like something a physical therapist might suggest. If you are tempted to do a couple of pull-ups or chins, don't do them. I turned a couple of the core exercises for my back into movements and was told be my therapist not to do that because it can be counter productive.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1109 on: April 30, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »
Did you feel any relief in your shoulders by hanging from the bar? Doing this makes sense since it is basically a stretch. It seems like something a physical therapist might suggest. If you are tempted to do a couple of pull-ups or chins, don't do them. I turned a couple of the core exercises for my back into movements and was told be my therapist not to do that because it can be counter productive.

Too early to say. I'll see how it goes. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1110 on: May 01, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
Leg day:

Leg Press 2 x 12 (I put the back board low and I fully bend my legs)
Dumbbell squat 2 x 12 (Upright back and sink my ass all the way down)
Stiff dead 1 x 6 (I stand on a block and come down with the bar to the top of my feet)
Leg extension 2 x 20
Seated leg curl 2 x 15
Body weight deep squats 1 x 55

Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups 1 x 25

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15
Tibalis work 1 x 15

Neck: One set per side.  (I use a weight helmet in my home gym)

Gym observations:  Since I'm training at home I don't care how I dress for my basement gym. I have these very loud emerald green shorts. They are old shorty shorts like the NBA use to wear. My neighborhood humiliation continues. My wife called me out to look at new grass I planted after I finished my workout. Of course the neighbors are outside. I got black socks on and bright green NBA shorty shorts. They are the same neighbors that saw me doing a Jerry Lewis dance in the back yard. I might as well go all in an buy a tarzan outfit.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1111 on: May 02, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »
Cardio day:

Ran 2.1 miles outside. It's the nicest day of the year. Pure sun and 71 degrees with a light breeze.

In a previous post I wrote about a power lifting friend who said to hang from a chin bar with a supinate grip for my shoulder problem. It seems to help.  I also externally rotate my arm by just twisting it. Wow, it seem to get rid of most of the impingement. I think he's on to something.

Ended the day having cocktails by the fire. I'm going to be hurting tomorrow.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1112 on: May 03, 2020, 01:31:46 PM »
Delt and arms:

Military press 2 x 8
Delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 12 (thumbs up)
Delt front dumbbell raises 2 x 12 ( thumbs up and arms at a V shape instead of straight ahead)
Rear delt raises 2 x 10
Head level rope pulls 2 x 10
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Single dumbbell two hands tricep extension seated 2 x 12
One arm dumbbell behind the head tricep extension 2 x 12 (really weak with these.)

EZ barbell curl 2 x 10
Seated on an incline bench dumbbell curl 2 x 15 (Felt pain in the delts. I'm through with this one)
Concentration curl 2 x 12

Wrist curl 2 x 20
Wrist extension 2 x 15

Weighted crunch 1 x 50
Pulley crunch 1 x 50

Tomorrow is an off day. Just going to work and chillin after. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1113 on: May 08, 2020, 11:28:52 AM »
I've been neglecting this training diary.  I will try to be more on top of it for my millions of readers. Okay my two readers.  ;D

Whole body routine today:  Trying to go old school for awhile. I really believe training the whole body in one training session is way harder than a split. The best thing about it is when you're done you hit everything. You don't get delt and triceps in one day then work gets in the way of doing another day of your split. This is one and done.

Also another aspect is that training three days a week your body parts are hit three times a week.  Let's say on your one body part a week  split you're doing six sets of triceps on your tricep training day. Now you switch to a whole body training system. On Monday it was two sets of triceps. Wednesday another two sets and Friday the same. Using a whole body routine you are hitting triceps directly with the same six sets as you did on the split. So many different splits that might dispute what I wrote.

Anyway doing a whole body routine is real old school. It takes me back to the days of Grimek, Reeves, Kono, Sansone, and the list goes on. Back in the day so many bodybuilders competed six months out of the year in Olympic lifting then for six months bodybuilding. They were real athletes. They all had jobs and families. Now no one seems to have a job. They have endless time to train and take their drugs. Guys back in the day were winning Gold medals in the Olympics like the great Schemansky while working full time. He had to beg to have time off to compete in the Olympics. When his boss said no he had to quit his job so he could go and win a Gold medal. Doing a whole body routine mentally takes me back to a day when men were men. 

Power clean and jerk 3 x 3

Barbell squats 2 x 8 then 1 x 1
Standing leg curl 2 x 15

Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8

M.A.G. supinate pulldown 2 x 10
M.A.G. close grip supinate seated lat row 2 x 12

Military press 2 x 8 (Cleaned the weight first)
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 12

Dips 2 x 10
Barbell curls 2 x 10

Incline sit ups 1 x 22
Floor crunches 1 x 50

Weighted hyper extension 2 x 15

No weight single leg calf raises 3 x 15 (learned about this from a physical therapist who wrote an article in Testosterone nation. I don't want to put words in his mouth but most guys using machines for calf work are unknowingly cheating. A
little leg bend. A little hip bend. Guy will use 300lbs, 400lbs and more. Now take the same guy and have them lock their knee. Hold onto something with just finger tips. Only enough for balance and do one leg calf raises.  The goal is to stand on one foot with no block with the knee locked while holding onto nothing and do calf raises all the way up. Many guys won't be able to do 20 if they are using the form I talked about.

Finished with neck work.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1114 on: May 08, 2020, 02:51:39 PM »
Good routine.

Even though I give you a hard time now and then for training through injuries, as one of your two readers I respect you for your work ethic.   ;)

I've always liked training full-body.  What may be the best thing about it is that you don't train everyday.  You rest and recover.

When I first started training as a teenager I was so gung-ho I trained everything everyday.  More is better!

It wasn't until I read a book that said you train one day, rest the next, that I started to make gains.

I've trained in all ways, even 6 day double splits, but my best gains have always been doing full-body 2-3 times a week.

Sometimes even once a week is enough if you are training really heavy. 

Like you, I enjoy training so taking rest days is not fun.  I want to train!

We need to listen to our bodies and if we need an extra day off we should take it and then come back fully recovered.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1115 on: May 08, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
Training in threes is classic. Workout 3 days a week, doing 3 sets of 10 using one or two movements per body part, depending on your level of advancement...is pure gold. It is how I trained for years and like you, revert to it every so often just to mix things up.

My log entries this week are weak (as in not posted). I have still been working out though. So after I go get a burger and fries for lunch, I'll post up what I've been doing...exercise-wise. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1116 on: May 08, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
Training in threes is classic. Workout 3 days a week, doing 3 sets of 10 using one or two movements per body part, depending on your level of advancement...is pure gold. It is how I trained for years and like you, revert to it every so often just to mix things up.

My log entries this week are weak (as in not posted). I have still been working out though. So after I go get a burger and fries for lunch, I'll post up what I've been doing...exercise-wise. 

I hope you don't have to kick a homeless person over that hamburger.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1117 on: May 08, 2020, 04:14:42 PM »
Good routine.

Even though I give you a hard time now and then for training through injuries, as one of your two readers I respect you for your work ethic.   ;)

I've always liked training full-body.  What may be the best thing about it is that you don't train everyday.  You rest and recover.

When I first started training as a teenager I was so gung-ho I trained everything everyday.  More is better!

It wasn't until I read a book that said you train one day, rest the next, that I started to make gains.

I've trained in all ways, even 6 day double splits, but my best gains have always been doing full-body 2-3 times a week.

Sometimes even once a week is enough if you are training really heavy. 

Like you, I enjoy training so taking rest days is not fun.  I want to train!

We need to listen to our bodies and if we need an extra day off we should take it and then come back fully recovered.

With a whole body routine if obligations get in the way if you can just get one workout in for the week it's not just maintenance it's still moving forward.  I think three is optimal but two is very close behind especially if the weight used is high. I know I won't stick with it forever but for now it's something I hope to stick with for a couple of weeks. Like I said before it's much harder than a split. Something exhausting about hitting it all in one work out.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1118 on: May 09, 2020, 11:16:46 AM »
Cardio day:  Just wasn't feeling it today. Ran a slug mile and called it a day. Here's to better days.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1119 on: May 09, 2020, 11:50:02 AM »
I hope you don't have to kick a homeless person over that hamburger.

Me neither. If I saw a homeless person standing around outside a burger joint, I'd buy hamburger to give to them instead of handing them cash. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1120 on: May 09, 2020, 01:11:12 PM »
I'm sitting here thinking about working out as I do everyday.  Had a bad run today but I'm not letting it weigh on me. I'm always very interested on how other guys train.

Sitting here thinking about a commercial gym I worked out at about three years ago. They had a personal trainer who was in his late 20's.  He wasn't big by any stretch but he was ripped and looked amazing. Maybe 5'9" 165.  Built like maybe Shawn Perrine the late editor of the Weider magazines. Just looked in amazing shape.  The reason why I bring him up is because I was very surprised seeing him train. The guy used 135lbs for squats. On back day he was doing deadlifts. He appeared to warm up with 135lbs. Nope, every set was with 135lbs. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Don't get me wrong working out for high reps and short reps could be very deceptive in terms of effort. Just blew me away he looked so good using lights weights. 

Sorry for the rambling. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1121 on: May 09, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
I'm sitting here thinking about working out as I do everyday.  Had a bad run today but I'm not letting it weigh on me. I'm always very interested on how other guys train.

Sitting here thinking about a commercial gym I worked out at about three years ago. They had a personal trainer who was in his late 20's.  He wasn't big by any stretch but he was ripped and looked amazing. Maybe 5'9" 165.  Built like maybe Shawn Perrine the late editor of the Weider magazines. Just looked in amazing shape.  The reason why I bring him up is because I was very surprised seeing him train. The guy used 135lbs for squats. On back day he was doing deadlifts. He appeared to warm up with 135lbs. Nope, every set was with 135lbs. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Don't get me wrong working out for high reps and short reps could be very deceptive in terms of effort. Just blew me away he looked so good using lights weights. 

Sorry for the rambling. 

Could be you caught him on his light day or he was on drugs or he's the next Steve Reeves.

If you're training for looks do higher reps like 8-15.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1122 on: May 09, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »
Could be you caught him on his light day or he was on drugs or he's the next Steve Reeves.

That's me. I never thought much about training for strength. Looking good and feeling good are my goals.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1123 on: May 09, 2020, 06:05:30 PM »

Who knows? Then again it's pretty hard to look bad at that age if you train.  I'm sure I looked way better than him at that age but never the less I was impressed with his conditioning. Ripped chest and super defined arms. Oh, well, I guess I have to be happy to being the top of the food chain for old broken down guys. LOL.

On a side note every summer I always put out a big push to look good for summer. With Covid and ever changing work schedules while drinking like a fish with injuries I'm way  behind the eight ball. I have to get my act together. It's one week into May. Tick tock mother fucker.  Tomorrow is the day. Whole body routine and Monday before I get to work I hope to rise at 5AM and get a real cardio day in before the work day. .

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1124 on: May 10, 2020, 12:31:23 PM »
Did my whole body routine again. I will keep the exercises the same for four more workouts. I upped the weight either 2.5lbs, 5 lbs or 10lbs per exercise. If all is planned I will hit peak weight for me on workout six.

Power clean and push press 3 x 3 (These are so exhausting that I seriously wonder if I can finish the workout after these)
Barbell squat 2 x 8 then 1 x 1 (Trying to go low. Olympic stance with olympic shoes. High bar placement)
Standing leg curls 2 x 15 (I actually do these standing on a block with an old fashion Iron boot with a dumbbell bar through the hole with plates.  Old guys will know what I'm talking about.)

Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 (loving these. My bad shoulder loves them too)

M.A.G bar supinate pulldown 2 x 10
M.A. G narrow bar supinate seated lat long pull 2 x 12

Military press 2 x 8 (Shoulder protested so I warmed up more and it loosened up enough to do these.)
Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 12 ( thumbs up slightly bent over. A Physical therapist told me about this. Then I saw another lifting physical therapist said the same. Pouring the pitcher movement can cause impingement.

Weighted dips 2 x 10 (These don't bother my bad shoulder for some reason)
Barbell curls 2 x 10

Situp on an incline 1 x 24
Weighted crunches 1 x 50

No weight single leg calf raises 3 x 16

Neck work.

Whole body routines are a shock to the system no doubt.