Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 431701 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1550 on: December 19, 2020, 12:16:44 AM »
Delt and arms today.  Haven’t done cardio in two weeks and I’m feeling strong because I'm not shot from doing cardio.

It is always a good idea to change things up every once in a while.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1551 on: December 19, 2020, 08:16:45 AM »
Sounds a little like my training attitude through the years.

This is by Nick Bare. He was an Army Ranger. He started a very modest supplement company in college and continued during his military time. Now he is a multimillionaire with a huge supplement company. I love his training philosophy.  He has ever changing goals from marathons, triathlons, power lifting, Olympic lifting and cross fit.  He trains with weights while going for really fast 10 mile plus runs. He loves hard training. He is the master of no pursuit but is damn good in everything he pursues.

"Fitness Goals Are Personal.
Everyone has their own reasons to chase a fitness goal, improve their health and “Go One More”, but I want to explain my passion for fitness as a whole.
I love weight training, running, powerlifting, bodybuilding, cycling, swimming, ruck marches, triathlons, marathons...all and every type of fitness.
For me it’s not the specific training type that I fall in love with - it is the physical, mental and educational benefits that come from it.
Three years ago I was trying to get as big/strong as possible, then I wanted to experiment with Olympic weightlifting and CrossFit style training and now I’m focused strictly on endurance.
With every style of training I get the opportunity to humble myself and learn so much by immersing myself within it - there is no substitute for just doing it (while many others will read about it and become subject matter experts).
Building fitness is an opportunity and as I’ve matured through these last 30 years of life I’ve realized “fitness is not one dimensional”, but I love learning through humbling first hand experience.
These experiences not only build my educational resume, but also allow me to help many others through their fitness journey’s as well.
No style of personal preference fitness is superior to another - it’s personal."

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1552 on: December 21, 2020, 04:32:20 PM »
Trained Chest and bicep one set to failure Yates style. Full range of motion. No half reps or 3/4 reps.

Flat dumbbell bench 1 x 7 Failed at 7 but was hoping for 8. Really pissed I didn't get it but my shoulder is compromised by injury. I actually should be happy with that.
Decline dumbbell bench 1 x 10
Weighted dips 1 x 12
Push ups 1  x max

Barbell curl 1 x 14
Alternate dumbbell curl 1 x 10
Single arm pulley curls 1 x 13
Concentration curl 1 x 14

Wrist curls 1 x 26
Reverse wrist extension 1 x 20

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
Pulley crunch 1 x 35

Tomorrow is the dreaded leg day, lol.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1553 on: December 22, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »
In the dungeon training legs. Up at 4AM before work.  I get home from work at 7pm so this system works for me.  Hate training early morning. I’ m too stiff.  If I wait till after work I’m too tired.  So this is what I do on work days. 

Leg press 1 x 15
Squat machine 1 x 10
Dumbbell squat 1 x 13
Stiff dead 1 x 8
Leg extension 1x 25
Seated leg curl 1x15

Side bend one dumbbell 1x15
Hanging straight leg raise 1x25
Hip ups 1x30

Standing calf 1x20
Seated calf 1 x 20
Tibalis work 1x 20

Neck work: 1 set a side. 

I increased the weight used from what I normally used.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1554 on: December 24, 2020, 12:22:46 PM »
Trained back one set to failure after warm up. I'm sure volume trainers probably think it's a vacation from training but it's actually a brutal way to train. I was having anxiety about the deadlift part of the work out all day prior to hitting the gym. Pushing every exercise till you can't get another rep is hard on the mind.  Beginning to think it should be used with very limited cycles. If someone had a training system of digging a deep ditch every other day they soon would begin to dread the workout. They will soon be missing their digging the ditch workout because it's a stress to the mind, body and sprit.  Bill Pearl said it best. To paraphrase he said if you train to failure too much you will soon dread your workouts and will be forced to miss workouts in time. He said, "Consistency is an important part of success with a training program."

If a runner said I'm going to become a better runner by running to failure every day and recording the time to beat it each training day a competent coach would say that's insanity and it won't make you a better runner. Might work for a novice but not an experience runner. A good runner will train hard but will never expect to take it to the ragged edge each training day.

If a bodybuilding HIT coach applied the protocol to running he would be a failure as a coach. I could hear the reasoning right now. Since I'm the coach of a miler he will only run a mile because of specificity of training. I want the runner to train to failure. So every mile run after warm up will be all out and recorded. I'm sure the first two weeks will show promise for this training protocol then the times would go down hill. The HIT bodybuilding coach will now say instead of training 6 days a week he will train less being obviously exhausted. I will have him train for four days a week. Suddenly the times are good again before going down hill again. Now the coach wants three day a week training then two day a week training. When no further improvement is recorded he will declare he reached his genetic potential.  Insanity?  Of course it goes without saying.  It's the same nonsense that is applied to bodybuilding by these HIT gurus. 

Train hard and brutal but if you make exhaustion your training protocol then exhausted you will be.

Merry Christmas!

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1555 on: December 24, 2020, 03:59:14 PM »
Truth.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1556 on: December 25, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »
Trained delt and triceps this Christmas day.   Merry Christmas you filthy animals and a happy new year. We are watching our grand daughter while Mom is working the covid intensive care floor of the hospital.  My daughter's husband is going to work for the late shift as a cop. Got the pup too. He won't take off his Christmas present hat. Has to show everyone.  He's even sleeping with it.  Struts likes he's the cat's pajamas wearing it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1557 on: December 25, 2020, 11:27:58 AM »
Happy Xmas, OT.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1558 on: December 25, 2020, 01:21:51 PM »
Cute puppy. Too bad about your daughter and son-in-law having to work on Christmas day. Since they are "essential workers" have they been vaccinated yet? If not, do they have a choice? Can they decline the vaccination?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1559 on: December 26, 2020, 05:03:16 AM »
Cute puppy. Too bad about your daughter and son-in-law having to work on Christmas day. Since they are "essential workers" have they been vaccinated yet? If not, do they have a choice? Can they decline the vaccination?

My daughter working in the covid ward of critical care/ ICU has the vaccine.  My son in law no,  but he had covid under a month ago. It seemed like he had bronchitis coughing bad and he lost a lot of weight. I assume he has anti bodies now to protect him until he gets the vaccine. He had a call of a covid victim needing to get transported to the hospital and he responded with the ambulance crew. He told the other cops he would take the call since he just recovered from it. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1560 on: December 26, 2020, 05:08:02 AM »
Excited about a new addition coming to my home gym that I ordered. It's called monkey feet. A modern upgrade to iron boots. I use an iron boot standing on a wood block for stand up leg curls. It works fantastic when the straps don't fail and they fail too often even with the upgraded straps I use. Someone came up with a fantastic modern version that kind of looks like a ski boot that clamps a dumbbell. Going to use it for leg curls and a few other exercises. I will review it after I get it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1561 on: December 26, 2020, 06:11:12 AM »
Trained delt and triceps this Christmas day.   Merry Christmas you filthy animals and a happy new year. We are watching our grand daughter while Mom is working the covid intensive care floor of the hospital.  My daughter's husband is going to work for the late shift as a cop. Got the pup too. He won't take off his Christmas present hat. Has to show everyone.  He's even sleeping with it.  Struts likes he's the cat's pajamas wearing it.
My sister has 2 pugs ,second set ,one dies she matches up another fawn color

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1562 on: December 26, 2020, 07:13:52 AM »
My sister has 2 pugs ,second set ,one dies she matches up another fawn color

Never thought I would like a little dog but my daughter's dog is so loyal, fun and has so much personality.  We go on woods adventures walking a deer trail around a lake that is so isolated I see maybe three people a year there. The dog has found turtles, snakes, herons, eagles, wood peckers, squirrels, deer and foxes.  The pug can sprint like Carl Lewis but has zero endurance.  Forty yard sprint and the dog is finished.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1563 on: December 26, 2020, 09:24:47 AM »
Never thought I would like a little dog but my daughter's dog is so loyal, fun and has so much personality.  We go on woods adventures walking a deer trail around a lake that is so isolated I see maybe three people a year there. The dog has found turtles, snakes, herons, eagles, wood peckers, squirrels, deer and foxes.  The pug can sprint like Carl Lewis but has zero endurance.  Forty yard sprint and the dog is finished.
Yes ,,my sisters dogs go wild when they see me jump up and down until i pet them both ,then there dead tired tounge  hanging out of mouth.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1564 on: December 28, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »
Woke up early and trained back/chest. 2 work sets after warm up if needed.  Four exercises  for each body part.  I always used around 405lbs for my last set in deadlifts in my late 40's. Now 315lbs seems to be a good way to end the work out for my sets. The body is delicate now and while I could lift more in some exercises like the dead,  I don't want to risk damage.  It's not sick heavy and it's not too light. In your 60's you are really one rep away from causing permanent damage by increasing the odds pursuing the poundage. I really like throwing in deads after completing back and chest. The body is completely warmed up. It  lessons the weight used due to fatigue but it has the same benefits.

On my feet a lot at work. Sitting here like a zombie after I got home.   Tomorrow is cardio time before work. Hoping to get four miles in. I hope I don't roll over and turn the alarm off.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1565 on: December 29, 2020, 05:00:23 PM »
Woke up nice an early for a treadmill cardio day. The plan was a four miler.  In my basement one light was out and the other flickering. I got 9 foot ceilings in the basement so here I am searching for lightbulbs and digging out a ladder. I then got on the treadmill and after a half mile I just felt exhausted so I said fuck it. Went back to bed but couldn't get to sleep thinking about the alarm going off. I went back in the basement and thought I would hit the heavy bag. I never hit that thing fresh. It's always after cardio. Thought the punches were with bad intent and hard. After two minutes the mount broke and the damn thing fell on the ground. Fuck!  I should have turned off the alarm and slept in till work. Good thing about being alive. Tomorrow is another day. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1566 on: December 30, 2020, 03:32:09 PM »
Leg day:

Leg press 2 x 12
squat machine 2 x 10
Dumbbell squat 1 x 12
Stiff dead 2 x 6
leg extensions 2 x 20
standing leg curl 2 x 12

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15
Hanging straight leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups 1 x 25

standing calf 2 x 15
seated calf 2 x 15
tibialis work 1 x 20

neck 1 x 20 each side.

I think next week I'm taking off from lifting and going to concentrate on running for a week.

On a side note as I wrote in the previous post my heavy bag fell from metal fatigue in the screws that broke in half. It happens from time to time.  Normally I screw the bracket back up with lag screws then hoist the heavy bag up a ladder and hook it back up to the carabiner snap hook. I can tell I'm getting old. I pick up the heavy bag. I think it weighs about 100lbs and I can't reach the snap hook. When I was younger I could balance on the ladder and lift the bag up to get it connected. I couldn't do it. My wife is now up the ladder and on the count of three I lift the awkward heavy bag over head so she can connect it. Aye caramba.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1567 on: December 30, 2020, 05:06:17 PM »
A good exercise is carrying the heavy bag around but then you'd have to take it down.

Actually they recommend not leaving a heavy bag hanging because the filling settles and compacts.

You have a big basement so you could do farmers walks or other types of carries.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1568 on: December 30, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
A good exercise is carrying the heavy bag around but then you'd have to take it down.

Actually they recommend not leaving a heavy bag hanging because the filling settles and compacts.

You have a big basement so you could do farmers walks or other types of carries.

A quality bag takes a long time to settle  to stone near the bottom. Then it's time to buy another one. Had this current bag for around five years. It's getting harder but I think I have another year or two in it.

I have never done farmer's walks.  A guy down the block from me has an amazing garage gym. During Covid he graciously let his friends use it. Always a ton of activity by his garage.  I refused the use of my basement with guys I know from the commercial gym because I didn't want a bunch of guys in my house. One reason was because of liability and mainly I didn't want to increase the odds of getting covid. I haven't been back to the commercial gym since this thing started. I was going to but my wife talked me out of it.  Getting back to farmer's walks it's a common sight to see a guy walking down the block holding dumbbells doing it.  The owner of the garage gym is a retired cop who puts on strong man acts for church events.  He even has a strong man log. I think it's only  about 200lbs but it's awkward to lift from the ground to overhead. I was going to try it but I came to may senses and thought here comes another injury.  I never attempted the lift.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1569 on: December 31, 2020, 03:47:46 AM »
Try farmers walks with fat grips on heavy dumbbells.

You can also wrap a hand towel around the handle.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1570 on: December 31, 2020, 07:34:23 PM »
If anyone is reading this have a Happy New Year and hopefully the best training year of your life.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1571 on: January 01, 2021, 04:18:09 AM »
If anyone is reading this have a Happy New Year and hopefully the best training year of your life.

Same to you, OT.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1572 on: January 01, 2021, 11:12:03 AM »
Delt and arms this New Years day. My arms keep getting smaller as I age. I might need more pumping exercises or a fountain of youth. Started with the military press.  Had a lot of right shoulder pain. On the 8th rep the pain hit me hard. I think the miltary press is going on the list of exercises I shouldn't be doing anymore. For the past 6 weeks every time I try to do them I'm having trouble with them. With dumbbells I can put them in a sweet spot where it doesn't aggravate. So dumbbells it is.

Military press 1 x 8
Standing dumbbell press 1 x 10
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 12 with thumbs up while slightly bend over.
Rear delt dumbbell raise 2 x 10
Face pulls 2 x 12
barbell shrugs 2 x 11

Weighted dips 2 x 8
EZ bar tricep extensions leaning back against a scott curl bench spun backwards 3 x 8
Rope push downs 2 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8
Narrow grip barbell curls 2 x 12
Concentration curls 2 x 12

Wrist curls 2 x 25
Reverse wrist extensions 2 x 15

Weighted crunches 1 x 60
Pulley crunches 1 x 35

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1573 on: January 01, 2021, 08:04:35 PM »
Delt and arms this New Years day. My arms keep getting smaller as I age. I might need more pumping exercises or a fountain of youth. Started with the military press.  Had a lot of right shoulder pain. On the 8th rep the pain hit me hard. I think the miltary press is going on the list of exercises I shouldn't be doing anymore. For the past 6 weeks every time I try to do them I'm having trouble with them. With dumbbells I can put them in a sweet spot where it doesn't aggravate. So dumbbells it is.

Military press 1 x 8
Standing dumbbell press 1 x 10
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 12 with thumbs up while slightly bend over.
Rear delt dumbbell raise 2 x 10
Face pulls 2 x 12
barbell shrugs 2 x 11

Weighted dips 2 x 8
EZ bar tricep extensions leaning back against a scott curl bench spun backwards 3 x 8
Rope push downs 2 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8
Narrow grip barbell curls 2 x 12
Concentration curls 2 x 12

Wrist curls 2 x 25
Reverse wrist extensions 2 x 15

Weighted crunches 1 x 60
Pulley crunches 1 x 35
I just started dB bell presses again and love them ,again I have same issue on delt like you.it’s been better though.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1574 on: January 02, 2021, 06:19:51 AM »
I just started dB bell presses again and love them ,again I have same issue on delt like you.it’s been better though.

Try doing the dumbbell delt lateral raise with thumbs up slightly bent over. Much healthier for the joint and contrary to popular opinion it hits the side delt great. Pouring the pitcher movement causes impingment. I could send you a video of a physical therapist for the NY Mets saying the same.