Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 431407 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1575 on: January 02, 2021, 12:54:24 PM »
Try doing the dumbbell delt lateral raise with thumbs up slightly bent over. Much healthier for the joint and contrary to popular opinion it hits the side delt great. Pouring the pitcher movement causes impingment. I could send you a video of a physical therapist for the NY Mets saying the same.
I do them that way read it when u posted it while ago,I play with the movement to get it with no pain,I do cable version too

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1576 on: January 02, 2021, 05:14:19 PM »
I do them that way read it when u posted it while ago,I play with the movement to get it with no pain,I do cable version too

Just noticed you have blue stars. I didn't know you competed. The only sport I competed in the weight sports was power lifting and that was a long time ago. It was the NJ State Championship. I think it was 1976 or 77. 

On a side note my wife invited her two blonde friends to Spicy's in Seaside to have a drink and a late lunch. They invited their guys.  Soon it was the six of us. I backed out not wanting to be exposed to covid. Wife was pissed but I made it this far. In my retirement job I work with four women. Three of them caught it and one of them died a week after getting sick. I obsessively wash my hands, wear a mask at work and alcohol everything at my desk. The thought of sitting with four people I don't normally hang with just made me take pause.

Wife told me I already accepted the invitation and said, you're backing out one block from the restaurant?  I would love to hang with three blonde chicks but I'm not going to risk it. My wife got over it and I felt I made the right move. Days ago a big strong guy I know died from covid very quickly. His facebook is filled with him doing muscle poses, lol.  He competed in arm wrestling at a high level. He's dead in his early 50's.

Yes, I know the odds are with me of not catching it and  being able to get over it are in my favor.  I was hospitalized with pneumonia a couple of years back. The thought of a disease that takes away your ability to breath scares me I admit. I had one and it was disturbing being in the hospital.  In the bed next to me was a guy on his last leg in life.  After I was discharged I couldn't imagine he made it. God rest his soul if he didn't.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1577 on: January 02, 2021, 07:07:40 PM »
Smart thinking.  You went against the group pressure and did what you thought was right.

Your wife was exposed and could have brought it back to you right?

We can only control what we can control.  Good job, bro.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1578 on: January 03, 2021, 05:13:17 AM »
Smart thinking.  You went against the group pressure and did what you thought was right.

Your wife was exposed and could have brought it back to you right?

We can only control what we can control.  Good job, bro.

We both backed out so she couldn't bring it back to me.  Seems we are near the finish line with the vaccine coming out. With herd immunity and the vaccine this covid should start dying out. Many viruses also weaken in time too. Seems some catch it and feel slight cold symptoms. Some have a terrible chest cold like my son in law. Then we have the unfortunate ones that go into critical care quickly. I don't want to be in any of the three categories.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1579 on: January 03, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
Try doing the dumbbell delt lateral raise with thumbs up slightly bent over. Much healthier for the joint and contrary to popular opinion it hits the side delt great. Pouring the pitcher movement causes impingment. I could send you a video of a physical therapist for the NY Mets saying the same.

Good for you and your delts. On the other-hand, something in my right deltoid is still giving me problems. There are times when I'm lifting a coffee cup for sip and it feels like that delt is so weak that I am going to drop the cup. I mentioned this shoulder problem to my doctor last September, he didn't feel where anything seemed wrong and suggested if it didn't get better in a few weeks to let him know and he'd schedule an MRI. Yeah, I know it has been more than a weeks, but I've been putting it off, because sure as shit, as soon as the MRI is scheduled, the problem will resolve itself.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1580 on: January 04, 2021, 03:45:04 AM »
When you have an injury, train around it.

Once you are pain free, resume training the area but go extremely light.  Build up very gradually over time.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1581 on: January 04, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »
Taking the week off of lifting but not training. Ran slow two miles today and hit the heavy bag. The miles were at 6 MPH or 10 minute miles. Just enough to get the blood circulating. I just might do cardio the whole week and give my joints a break from lifting. In my younger days I always took a week off from time to time. As I age I don't give myself any break from lifting so this is a deserved break. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1582 on: January 04, 2021, 10:12:04 PM »
Just noticed you have blue stars. I didn't know you competed. The only sport I competed in the weight sports was power lifting and that was a long time ago. It was the NJ State Championship. I think it was 1976 or 77. 

On a side note my wife invited her two blonde friends to Spicy's in Seaside to have a drink and a late lunch. They invited their guys.  Soon it was the six of us. I backed out not wanting to be exposed to covid. Wife was pissed but I made it this far. In my retirement job I work with four women. Three of them caught it and one of them died a week after getting sick. I obsessively wash my hands, wear a mask at work and alcohol everything at my desk. The thought of sitting with four people I don't normally hang with just made me take pause.

Wife told me I already accepted the invitation and said, you're backing out one block from the restaurant?  I would love to hang with three blonde chicks but I'm not going to risk it. My wife got over it and I felt I made the right move. Days ago a big strong guy I know died from covid very quickly. His facebook is filled with him doing muscle poses, lol.  He competed in arm wrestling at a high level. He's dead in his early 50's.

Yes, I know the odds are with me of not catching it and  being able to get over it are in my favor. I was hospitalized with pneumonia a couple of years back. The thought of a disease that takes away your ability to breath scares me I admit. I had one and it was disturbing being in the hospital.  In the bed next to me was a guy on his last leg in life.  After I was discharged I couldn't imagine he made it. God rest his soul if he didn't.

Pneumonia is no joke.  I had it when I was 25 and seemingly invincible.  I should have went to the ER.  Instead I cried myself to sleep and went to my doc in the morning.  Fortunately, he was able to give me a shot and a couple of prescriptions and I started turning the corner right away.  Kudos on you for doing what you felt was right and your wife as well.  It isn't so much dying of covid that I'm worried about.  It's about the long lasting side effects that many experience. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1583 on: January 04, 2021, 10:30:28 PM »
We both backed out so she couldn't bring it back to me.  Seems we are near the finish line with the vaccine coming out. With herd immunity and the vaccine this covid should start dying out. Many viruses also weaken in time too. Seems some catch it and feel slight cold symptoms. Some have a terrible chest cold like my son in law. Then we have the unfortunate ones that go into critical care quickly. I don't want to be in any of the three categories.

Let's hope we are about to see a turn around on Covid-19. With the new strains being found and that nobody knows if the current vaccines will work or work as well with them, anything is possible. I am going to think as positively about the pandemic coming to an end soon. Like with most folks the restrictions are really getting old.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1584 on: January 05, 2021, 03:29:03 AM »
Let's hope we are about to see a turn around on Covid-19. With the new strains being found and that nobody knows if the current vaccines will work or work as well with them, anything is possible. I am going to think as positively about the pandemic coming to an end soon. Like with most folks the restrictions are really getting old.

People are tired of the restrictions and this is causing some people to become reckless in their behaviors.

If you're in a high risk group you have to continue be careful.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #1585 on: January 05, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »
A good exercise is carrying the heavy bag around but then you'd have to take it down.

Funny you mention that, i've always had a heavy canvas bag in the garage since i was in high school. I always considered putting it up and taking it down as part of the workout. It's challenging until you get the grip down.

I have a canvas and thai bag in my garage now.

Years ago when i trained Muay Thai, we had to carry the 90 pound canvas bag on our shoulders and run up and down stairs. It was a killer cardio workout.

Still to this day i'll do a little bag work maybe once a week. My wrists are in bad shape so i can't go crazy, but it's fun to hit the bag every now and then.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #1586 on: January 05, 2021, 11:40:23 AM »

A good friend of mine from middle/high school died of Covid on Saturday. His mom died on the 22nd and spread it to him. This is the first person i know personally that died or even had to go to the hospital. He was on a ventilator for 5 days.

To be fair, he was a very large man in his mid 40's; drank a lot and smoked socially, but not someone i would think was unhealthy, although i'm not too sure as i haven't spent time around him in 10 years.

I know several people who just felt bad for a few days and recovered. Some laid up in bed for a week and others just felt bad for a few days.

I've been taking it seriously, not for me but for others. When i was up in the mountains last week, when we went to town there were people everywhere. I didn't really want to go to the grocery store, but we need a few items. The place was jammed full of people, i kept looking at my GF like "where did these people come from"? It was just as crowded as last holiday pre-Covid.

My parents are getting the vaccine and my sister too. My little sister criticizes me for waiting, but with all these new strains and unknowns i'll wait several months to see how effective it is.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1587 on: January 05, 2021, 12:13:39 PM »
People are tired of the restrictions and this is causing some people to become reckless in their behaviors.

If you're in a high risk group you have to continue be careful.

Right, people in high risk groups have more to lose, possibly their lives. I don't believe I will get or die from Covid-19. No absolute reason for this except that I am in excellent health. As tired as I am of the restrictions because of Covid-19, I follow them. I will continue to wear a mask when in situations that don't allow for social distancing or are indoors in public places where masks are required anyway. This is not just for my protection, but for the protection of others, particularly those who statistically are more likely to become seriously ill from the virus.

I really feel for businesses that are greatly impacted by Covid-19, such as most gyms, restaurants, bars and theaters etc. In Oregon, restaurants and bars can only offer food to go and recently 2 alcoholic drinks to go per person. Where you can drink them is also dictated by law. You probably have to take them home or to someone else's home, as I don't think you can drink them in public or certainly not while driving.

So as to not get my hopes up, I am trying not to think about flying to Germany to visit my family there next fall. Much closer to home, my closest friends and I have not been able to socialize because they are both in a high risk category and barely ever leave the house. Christmas eve another really good friend stopped by dressed up like Santa. Although I did not recognize him at first we had a nice visit sans masks and we even gave each other a hug. After which I had a moment of concern because of the possible exposure to Covid-19.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1588 on: January 05, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »
A lot of talk about different strains.  My daughter is a doctor of pharmacology.  She told me the vaccine works against the new strains too.

No lifting today.  Ran another two miles. Ran into 9 minute something range.  Felt really spent. My heart rate monitor said 203 for the max. I never get above 180 running normally. A little disturbing. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1589 on: January 05, 2021, 01:29:02 PM »
A lot of talk about different strains.  My daughter is a doctor of pharmacology.  She told me the vaccine works against the new strains too.

No lifting today.  Ran another two miles. Ran into 9 minute something range.  Felt really spent. My heart rate monitor said 203 for the max. I never get above 180 running normally. A little disturbing.

Well, I hope your daughter is correct. So far, Pfizer and Moderna are hopeful that their current vaccines are effective against current new strains of Covid-19. However, they are still in the testing phase. And Moderna and Pfizer representatives have stated unless the virus mutates substantially, the current vaccines should protect against variants. 'Should protect' and 'works' are not exactly the same statements. 

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #1590 on: January 05, 2021, 01:47:09 PM »
I hope that is the case too. But i'm very sceptic about it and would rather wait and see how it plays out over the next several months.

203 is pretty high, but it depends on how long you were in that range.

My GF can get her HR up to 180+ just by jogging; it takes a lot to get mine above 180.

I tend to stay around 130 when i'm lifting. I don't run much anymore, but i have hit 190 when mountain biking on an incline.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1591 on: January 05, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »
Well, I hope your daughter is correct. So far, Pfizer and Moderna are hopeful that their current vaccines are effective against current new strains of Covid-19. However, they are still in the testing phase. And Moderna and Pfizer representatives have stated unless the virus mutates substantially, the current vaccines should protect against variants. 'Should protect' and 'works' are not exactly the same statements.

Realize you are googling stuff that has to be presented for legal reasons. The same mechanism why the vaccine works is the same against the new variant. If they came out with a vaccine for the new variant it would be the same vaccine mechanism we have now. Flu vaccines have to change because the new strains are truly different.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1592 on: January 05, 2021, 07:12:34 PM »
Realize you are googling stuff that has to be presented for legal reasons. The same mechanism why the vaccine works is the same against the new variant. If they came out with a vaccine for the new variant it would be the same vaccine mechanism we have now. Flu vaccines have to change because the new strains are truly different.

No doubt, your daughter is well versed in her field and therefore knows what she's talking about when it comes to vaccines against Covid-19 and the new strains.

I find it interesting that some people act as though Googling a question about something to learn more about it is a mistake. Implying that any information available via Google and by extension the internet is invalid. Usually, there are several sources provided via Google. It behooves anyone using Google and the internet as a resource on any subject of interest to thoroughly check validity of several sources of information. Generally speaking there is more than one answer to every question or solution to any problem.

Much of what folks post here and in other blogs on the internet are nothing more than opinions with nothing to back them up.     

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1593 on: January 06, 2021, 03:36:54 AM »
No doubt, your daughter is well versed in her field and therefore knows what she's talking about when it comes to vaccines against Covid-19 and the new strains.

I find it interesting that some people act as though Googling a question about something to learn more about it is a mistake. Implying that any information available via Google and by extension the internet is invalid. Usually, there are several sources provided via Google. It behooves anyone using Google and the internet as a resource on any subject of interest to thoroughly check validity of several sources of information. Generally speaking there is more than one answer to every question or solution to any problem.

Much of what folks post here and in other blogs on the internet are nothing more than opinions with nothing to back them up.   

I don't have a lot of faith in google. They let you see what they want you to see. Often opposing views are buried in the search. Not sayin you Prime but far too many look at the first page of a google search and accept it like gospel and as proof. Seen too much revisionist history on the first few pages of Goggle. Wiki always has an agenda the way they accept and present their history.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1594 on: January 06, 2021, 06:47:58 AM »
A good friend of mine from middle/high school died of Covid on Saturday. His mom died on the 22nd and spread it to him. This is the first person i know personally that died or even had to go to the hospital. He was on a ventilator for 5 days.

To be fair, he was a very large man in his mid 40's; drank a lot and smoked socially, but not someone i would think was unhealthy, although i'm not too sure as i haven't spent time around him in 10 years.

I know several people who just felt bad for a few days and recovered. Some laid up in bed for a week and others just felt bad for a few days.

I've been taking it seriously, not for me but for others. When i was up in the mountains last week, when we went to town there were people everywhere. I didn't really want to go to the grocery store, but we need a few items. The place was jammed full of people, i kept looking at my GF like "where did these people come from"? It was just as crowded as last holiday pre-Covid.

My parents are getting the vaccine and my sister too. My little sister criticizes me for waiting, but with all these new strains and unknowns i'll wait several months to see how effective it is.
I have taken as many precautions as I can in work and outside to obey these COVID laws,I’m not totally naive in that it doesn’t exist at times i think it’s a overblown flu until I here stories from customers of mine who had it ,as of yesterday customers family had degrees of it kids and her husband and herself she said it was wild how she felt,and a guy who’s sisters husband died in days no health conditions she was sick mildly he got it and lost breathing quickly and was released from local hospital and died.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #1595 on: January 06, 2021, 01:01:35 PM »
I don't have a lot of faith in google. They let you see what they want you to see. Often opposing views are buried in the search. Not sayin you Prime but far too many look at the first page of a google search and accept it like gospel and as proof. Seen too much revisionist history on the first few pages of Goggle. Wiki always has an agenda the way they accept and present their history.

Google is a search engine, nothing more. It provides data to match your "search" with a basis of previous search queues based on the words you type.

Nothing posted is to be taken as truth, it's just data so a person can form their own conclusion based on research. Many articles are factual and complete, but i find most are incomplete and based off opinion of the author. No different than me posting my thoughts on GB. ;D

That's why i don't take most search results as gospel, with a little research it's easy to see how biased or incomplete the data is. Just source checking the author can easily provide a lot of missing data.

It's like when i was in college for engineering, the more data we sampled, the easier it was to dissolve the inaccurate data and formulate our own conclusions, based on evidence. A lot of data we sampled was not entirely accurate.

I'm not picking on Prime, or anyone on GB, but it does seem that a lot of people just google search and take it as proof, when it is just data.

There is no one back checking all this data and if the data is wrong or incomplete, there is no recourse. That's why most universities still will not allow this information in a research paper or experiment, because anyone can post an article these days, without a control or peer review.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #1596 on: January 06, 2021, 01:03:55 PM »
I have taken as many precautions as I can in work and outside to obey these COVID laws,I’m not totally naive in that it doesn’t exist at times i think it’s a overblown flu until I here stories from customers of mine who had it ,as of yesterday customers family had degrees of it kids and her husband and herself she said it was wild how she felt,and a guy who’s sisters husband died in days no health conditions she was sick mildly he got it and lost breathing quickly and was released from local hospital and died.

Yeah that's why i'm taking it seriously. There are people literally dieing within a few days from this. I think it's pretty rare, but it's enough to make me concerned.

Most of the people i know who got it are under 50. My issue is that if i get it and spread it to my parents or someone at risk, i'm not ok with that.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1597 on: January 06, 2021, 01:33:46 PM »
Google is a search engine, nothing more. It provides data to match your "search" with a basis of previous search queues based on the words you type.

Nothing posted is to be taken as truth, it's just data so a person can form their own conclusion based on research. Many articles are factual and complete, but i find most are incomplete and based off opinion of the author. No different than me posting my thoughts on GB. ;D

That's why i don't take most search results as gospel, with a little research it's easy to see how biased or incomplete the data is. Just source checking the author can easily provide a lot of missing data.

It's like when i was in college for engineering, the more data we sampled, the easier it was to dissolve the inaccurate data and formulate our own conclusions, based on evidence. A lot of data we sampled was not entirely accurate.

I'm not picking on Prime, or anyone on GB, but it does seem that a lot of people just google search and take it as proof, when it is just data.

There is no one back checking all this data and if the data is wrong or incomplete, there is no recourse. That's why most universities still will not allow this information in a research paper or experiment, because anyone can post an article these days, without a control or peer review.

Let's say you are right that Google data is nothing more than falsehoods and lies and that when you read something on Google that was published by what has always been considered a reliable source, that information can no longer be trusted because you used Google to find it. What's your recommendation for people who want to find out and read more about any topic that interests them?

If you go the library for information you'll find it, but how do you know if it is anymore valid than what you found from searching about it on the internet. The answer is you don't. Before the internet, many folks used Encyclopedias, which may or may not have been anymore accurate than a Google search is.

The problem isn't Google or any other of the many internet search engines, it is that many people accept the first article they find as being completely factual and go no further. Without further investigation, someone really has no idea what is fact and what is an opinion or at least bias in someway.

Just for fun, Google internet search engines and see what comes up. Be sure to read several results, because a lot, if not most have differences of opinion as to which are the best and which are the worst search internet search engines. Anyway, it is an interesting exercise.

One that I don't recommend is Quora, which is literally nothing more than peoples' opinions. Lastly, if you Google something and the result is something which was said on Getbig, it probably isn't something anyone should rely on as being factual. LOL!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1598 on: January 06, 2021, 01:34:12 PM »
I live near a hot spot in NJ.  The ICU ward is overflowing.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1599 on: January 06, 2021, 01:39:22 PM »

You'll note that most often I cite the resources for what I write about that I've made clear isn't just my opinion. People can challenge those resources, I certainly check and challenge other folks sources, if I think they are presenting inaccurate or biased information.