Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 431581 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1725 on: March 24, 2021, 12:42:43 PM »
Leg day, Yates style.

Leg press 1 x 12
squat machine 1 x 10
Dumbbell squat 1 x 12
stiff dead 1 x 8
leg extension 1 x 23
seated leg curl 1 x 16

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15
Hanging leg raise 1 x 15
Hip ups 1 x 30

standing calf 1 x 18
Seated calf 1 x 16
tiblalis work 1 x 20

Neck work: one set per side.  1 x 25 neck curls, 1 x 15 for each side and 1 x 20 for the neck extensions. Some might call that four sets for neck.  The neck has been the easiest body part for me.  Maybe because of the great blood supply. Personally I just want a "manly" and I have no interest in a huge neck. Not that I could achieve it. LOL.  What I do here with one set per side gives me great results. Sometimes I get on a 2 set per side kick.

Watching my granddaughter today.  She is a toddler.  No wonder women can't have kids after 50 because of menopause. The amount of energy you need to keep up is exhausting.  Between watching her and heading down to my basement gym while she took a nap left me spent. Now her puppy wants a snack. Holy smokes! Getting poked from all angles.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1726 on: March 24, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »
Did a Yates type work out. I didn't list warm ups. Sometimes I used one warm up and some exercises got none.

Dumbbell flat bench 1 x 8
Decline dumbbell bench 1 x 10
Weighted dips 1 x 10
Push ups 1 x max (Tried to go low and controlled rep speed.)

EZ bar curls 1 x 14
Alternate dumbbell curls 1 x 10
Drag curls 1 x 13
Concentration curls 1 x 12

Wrist curls 1 x 30
Wrist extensions 1 x 21

Ab roll out 1 x 25
Ab pulley crunch seated 1 x 50

Still using the free Lose it app. They say I can eat 1830 calories a day. It seems drastically low and I'm not feeling great eating so little. The part I really like about the app is that is substracts calories from your workouts. For example for lifting it gives you low, medium or high intensity to choose from and how long the work out took. Naturally there is a lot of guesstimate in their calorie count but it lets me eat more while still staying under that 1800 something guideline they want me to stick to. Their running caloric estimates are probably pretty close. They want the minutes per mile and total time. When I was first experimenting with the app they gave me 450 for a treadmill workout. The extra calories I can eat and still stay under the 1830 is a welcome thing. 

I have to admit I eat too much but  combined with lifting with running and I get lean. Now with age it's like a switch was flipped and I gain weight far too easy.  I could easily get over 200lbs at 5'8" but of course that would include a lot of fat. Last I weighed myself I was 187lbs.  Trying to get to 175lbs. Seems almost impossible but this time I'm actually dieting.  I love to eat what I want when I want. I never withhold food so this is drastic for me.  ;D What is going to happen to cocktail hour tomorrow?

Isn't the average recommended number of calories for an adult 2,000 per day? Give yourself time to adapt. It is not like you are fasting.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1727 on: March 24, 2021, 07:00:19 PM »
@Oldtimer - Have you ever tried a true keto diet?  I love it because you can eat a lot still.  Also, once your body adapts to using fats for energy, you won't lose much strength or muscle as you would restricting calories.  Eat protein and fats with every meal and as many green, fibrous veggies as you feel like.  After two weeks indulge in a grand cheat meal and then once week after that.  I guarantee you'll see results and at a certain point can add in some sensible carbs for a long term more balanced diet.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1728 on: March 25, 2021, 04:12:03 AM »
@Oldtimer - Have you ever tried a true keto diet?  I love it because you can eat a lot still.  Also, once your body adapts to using fats for energy, you won't lose much strength or muscle as you would restricting calories.  Eat protein and fats with every meal and as many green, fibrous veggies as you feel like.  After two weeks indulge in a grand cheat meal and then once week after that.  I guarantee you'll see results and at a certain point can add in some sensible carbs for a long term more balanced diet.

I've been doing the keto diet for the past couple weeks.  Just meat & eggs with some flax and chia seeds for fiber which have low net carbs.

What kind of veggies can you eat?  Don't you have to stay in the range of 20-50 carbs/day to remain in ketosis?

So, there are limits even on veggies, right?  It would be good to eat more veggies though so let me know.

You go by net carbs, right?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1729 on: March 25, 2021, 04:57:35 AM »

I should look into it. Ironnat has been telling me I should try it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1730 on: March 25, 2021, 04:10:27 PM »
Ran two miles in a a park that has a one mile loop that's paved. The craziest thing happened. I have been going to this park for about 15 years. It's a walking and bike path.  The only vehicles I have seen on it are town workers emptying garbage cans or working on the sport fields. I'm getting ready to run and here comes a car driving on the path and it's not a municipal vehicle. Only one access to the path a car can get on and this old lady found it. She looked to be 100 years old. Prior to reaching for my phone the cops were there.  Glad she didn't  run over any kids on the path because the park was crowded. The cop showed her how to get her car off the path and waved good bye to the old lady.  The best part about the path is blasting music in my ear buds not worrying about cars.  Though I can see how a car barreling down on me would be motivation to run faster.

I'm always interested in how other guys train especially if they are really motivated and dedicated trainers. I watch youtubes and the majority I dismiss as hand jobs.  I have found some gems. The latest I have been watching is this guy Ryan Humiston. He is a volume trainer to the extreme is my initial  take away. He likes super sets, tri sets, compound sets and drop sets. He also seems adamant about resting for a very short time between sets with a moderate weight with high reps instead of heavy weights, tradition rep range and long rests between sets. He talks about making a light weight heavy and I have always done that with form and range of motion. He will do something like a first set for curls for 30 reps, second set 20-30 seconds later for 25 , Third for 20 and maybe the last for 15. It works for him. Great build. I'm trying to keep an open mind about his lifting approach and he has touched a chord.  He also uses some unusual exercises. One I think he calls a barrel press. Basically a hands facing dumbbell bench press done almost like cross between a fly and a bench. Going to give that one a try. I tried to put up a link to his youtube channel but it keeps saying error.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1731 on: March 25, 2021, 04:44:40 PM »
Ran two miles in a a park that has a one mile loop that's paved. The craziest thing happened. I have been going to this park for about 15 years. It's a walking and bike path.  The only vehicles I have seen on it are town workers emptying garbage cans or working on the sport fields. I'm getting ready to run and here comes a car driving on the path and it's not a municipal vehicle. Only one access to the path a car can get on and this old lady found it. She looked to be 100 years old. Prior to reaching for my phone the cops were there.  Glad she didn't  run over any kids on the path because the park was crowded. The cop showed her how to get her car off the path and waved good bye to the old lady.  The best part about the path is blasting music in my ear buds not worrying about cars.  Though I can see how a car barreling down on me would be motivation to run faster.

This is an excellent example of when someone should have their drivers license revoked. I am all for seniors renewing their drivers licenses every couple of years using a complete process, including testing vision and a test drive with a rep from the DMV. Driving is a privilege and not a right.

A couple of years back, I took an online defensive driving course as recommended by my insurance broker because it lowers auto insurance rates. I took the course online and passed the test. But, all it proves is that I know the rules/laws not that I am capable physically and mentally of following them.

My car is so loaded with technology that it practically drives itself. There are cameras, warning lights and signals for everything, including changing lanes, backing up, crossing over the center lane or shoulder when marked. Cruise control is radar monitored so that when the vehicle slows down in front of me, my car also slows and then speeds back up when the car in front does. I don't have to look for the controls to turn on the wipers, or lights because they work automatically. Even the high beams and fog lamps are automatic. I can also use voice commands to operate the phone and navigation system (this is something I've yet to master). My previous car was 12 years older and it had none of these sophisticated features.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1732 on: March 26, 2021, 10:12:00 AM »
Back day:
M.A.G. grip Pulldowns 1 x 11
Seated cable rows with a V bar 1 x 14
Dumbbell row 1 x 10
Reverse grip pullodowns 1 x 11

Dead lift 1 x 4 (Running yesterday took a lot out me. I normally can hit 6 with 315lbs)
Weighted back extensions 1 x 20

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 26
V ups 1 x 10 ( I have never done this before. Kind of like a leg raise and a crunch. My form was terrible so I dropped it.)
Pulley crunches 1 x 40

I think the run yesterday took a lot out of me.  Felt like I was just forcing my self through the work out. It has happened before. In my youth I would rip a fast 5 miler or 8 x220 yards  then wonder why my squats the next day were weak.  ::) When I was a sprinter in college my squats really went down from the 5 day a week sprint training. Now in old age going for a 2 mile run takes a lot out of me.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1733 on: March 26, 2021, 11:37:08 AM »
Back day:
M.A.G. grip Pulldowns 1 x 11
Seated cable rows with a V bar 1 x 14
Dumbbell row 1 x 10
Reverse grip pullodowns 1 x 11

Dead lift 1 x 4 (Running yesterday took a lot out me. I normally can hit 6 with 315lbs)
Weighted back extensions 1 x 20

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 26
V ups 1 x 10 ( I have never done this before. Kind of like a leg raise and a crunch. My form was terrible so I dropped it.)
Pulley crunches 1 x 40

I think the run yesterday took a lot out of me.  Felt like I was just forcing my self through the work out. It has happened before. In my youth I would rip a fast 5 miler or 8 x220 yards  then wonder why my squats the next day were weak.  ::) When I was a sprinter in college my squats really went down from the 5 day a week sprint training. Now in old age going for a 2 mile run takes it out of me.

You are not that old....maybe in another decade or so you can say this.  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1734 on: March 27, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »
You are not that old....maybe in another decade or so you can say this.  :)

For a guy that workouts like I do I feel old. Maybe because I remember what I was capable of like any guy that was an athlete.  Most guys in their 60's can't run.  They are chubby and their workouts are lame in the gym.  Ever see a 60 something guy run to first base in a park softball game? It's not a pretty sight. Aging stinks. My brother who some say is my mirror image is 73 and a cancer survivor. Looking at him all frail, I wonder if it's my fate too.  We are born weak and die weak.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1735 on: March 27, 2021, 12:34:41 PM »
For a guy that workouts like I do I feel old. Maybe because I remember what I was capable of like any guy that was an athlete.  Most guys in their 60's can't run.  They are chubby and their workouts are lame in the gym.  Ever see a 60 something guy run to first base in a park softball game? It's not a pretty site. Aging stinks. My brother who some say is my mirror image is 73 and a cancer survivor. Looking at him all frail, I wonder if it's my fate too.  We are born weak and die weak.

Don't worry about things over which you have no control such as the fact that you will likely be around for another 20 years or so. How healthy you'll be and how good you will feel is depends in part on how you take care of yourself. Better to think you won't become frail or get a major illness like cancer than to fret about the fact that anything is possible. With respect to this, try to live in the moment and make each moment count.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1736 on: March 27, 2021, 03:56:58 PM »
Delt and triceps: Warm ups not shown. Sometimes one warm up and many times no warm.  Depends on the exercise and how warmed up I am from the previous movement.

Military press 1 x 9
Dumbbell delt laterals 1 x 14
Pulley side laterals for delts 1 x 10
Seated rear delt laterals 1 x 13
Rope face pulls 1 x 14
Barbell shrugs 1 x 15

Tricep push downs 1 x 12
Seated ez bar tricep extensions 1 x 10 (seated leaning back on scott curl pad that was reversed)
Decline dumbbell tricep extensions 1 x 10 ( new in my routine. Excellent movement)
Reverse grip single arm tricep pulley extensions 1 x 11

Weighted crunches 1 x 50
Pulley crunches 1 x 50

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1737 on: March 28, 2021, 05:24:42 PM »
Ran two miles and hit the heavy bag.  Thought I was flying but my GPS time shows I wasn't.  ;D

My wife made big burgers with meat from our butcher instead of the supermarket. It was so good I couldn't help my self. I ate two giant burgers. I'm a glutton.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1738 on: March 29, 2021, 03:14:53 AM »
Ran two miles and hit the heavy bag.  Thought I was flying but my GPS time shows I wasn't.  ;D

My wife made big burgers with meat from our butcher instead of the supermarket. It was so good I couldn't help my self. I ate two giant burgers. I'm a glutton.

;D ;D

Your wife is subverting your plan to lose 10-15 lbs by June. She's a devil.  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1739 on: March 29, 2021, 03:30:41 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1740 on: March 29, 2021, 07:17:18 PM »

Watched the video. What's the practical application?  Give me some examples of what  a day on that diet would look like? I'm really clueless when it comes to diet. My diet for training is add a protein shake after training. That's it. So eat less carbohydrate sounds like a plan but it seems it works because you eat less calories. It sounds logical that less calories in and more calories out will lead to fat loss.

One guy told me not eating for one day during the week was a quick way to lose weight. I'm not tempted to try a one day fast but I remember Mr. Canada John Cardillo used it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1741 on: March 29, 2021, 07:33:53 PM »
Watched the video. What's the practical application?  Give me some examples of what  a day on that diet would look like? I'm really clueless when it comes to diet. My diet for training is add a protein shake after training. That's it. So eat less carbohydrate sounds like a plan but it seems it works because you eat less calories. It sounds logical that less calories in and more calories out will lead to fat loss.

One guy told me not eating for one day during the week was a quick way to lose weight. I'm not tempted to try a one day fast but I remember Mr. Canada John Cardillo used it.

It is good that you are not tempted by this one day a week fast. You have a tendency towards flip flopping through different exercise routines on a daily basis. That's fine.  -Keeps your body guessing, which can be a very productive methodology in exercise. Unfortunately, the same is not true for dieting. Stick with the tried and true diets that have been around forever. They are based on the same principal which is to eat sensibly.

I suspect your biggest hurdle is realizing it is going to take awhile to reach your goal of losing 10-15 lbs. No matter what snake oil type diets there are floating about, you should avoid entertaining them....they never work. One less glass/bottle of beer a day might help get rid of a beer belly though.  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1742 on: March 30, 2021, 03:48:05 AM »

Put some effort into it and watch other videos on his site if you need more info.  There are many.

It's really simple.  Healthy eating.  Increase insulin sensitivity. 
You have to get your wife on board.  No need for her to cook a lot of food for you.

Cut out all high carb foods including the following:
Sugar
Baked goods
Desserts
Bread
Rice
Pasta
Flour products or things made with flour like pizza.
High carb grains
High carb plant food like potatoes, fruits, certain other veggies.  Check online or the package for carb counts
Processed foods that contain sugars, flour, etc.  No junk.
Alcohol in all forms
Juices
Soft drinks
Dressings
Margarine
Anything with high net carbs (total carbs - fiber = net carbs)

What you eat:
Meat (no breading)
Fish (no breading)
Eggs
Cheese (low or no carb which most cheese is, not processed cheese)
Butter
Low carb vegetables
Salad (olive oil and vinegar is ok for dressing)
Coconut oil
Sour cream
Heavy cream or half n' half
Coffee
Tea
Olive oil
Chia seeds
Flax seeds
Nuts in small amounts

Low carb = under 100 grams carbs/day.
Keto = 20-50 carbs/day.

Typical meal?  4 eggs fried in butter, meat (bacon, chop, chicken leg quarter), salad or very low carb vegetable, water to drink.
Don't worry about fats.  You need fats. 
Eat two meals a day.  Eat until full.  No between meal eating.
Take a multi-vitamin everyday.

You will find your desire for these high carb foods to go away very soon. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1743 on: March 30, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »
Put some effort into it and watch other videos on his site if you need more info.  There are many.

It's really simple.  Healthy eating.  Increase insulin sensitivity. 
You have to get your wife on board.  No need for her to cook a lot of food for you.

Cut out all high carb foods including the following:
Sugar
Baked goods
Desserts
Bread
Rice
Pasta
Flour products or things made with flour like pizza.
High carb grains
High carb plant food like potatoes, fruits, certain other veggies.  Check online or the package for carb counts
Processed foods that contain sugars, flour, etc.  No junk.
Alcohol in all forms
Juices
Soft drinks
Dressings
Margarine
Anything with high net carbs (total carbs - fiber = net carbs)

What you eat:
Meat (no breading)
Fish (no breading)
Eggs
Cheese (low or no carb which most cheese is, not processed cheese)
Butter
Low carb vegetables
Salad (olive oil and vinegar is ok for dressing)
Coconut oil
Sour cream
Heavy cream or half n' half
Coffee
Tea
Olive oil
Chia seeds
Flax seeds
Nuts in small amounts

Low carb = under 100 grams carbs/day.
Keto = 20-50 carbs/day.

Typical meal?  4 eggs fried in butter, meat (bacon, chop, chicken leg quarter), salad or very low carb vegetable, water to drink.
Don't worry about fats.  You need fats. 
Eat two meals a day.  Eat until full.  No between meal eating.
Take a multi-vitamin everyday.

You will find your desire for these high carb foods to go away very soon.

Sounds really radical.  Also sounds really high in fats. Have you adhered to this diet strictly?  How did you feel?  Many a bodybuilder have used high protein, high fat and low carb diets.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1744 on: March 30, 2021, 05:58:19 PM »
I was going to start a volume training week but life gets in the way. Didn't want to do what for me would be an  experimental workout with an early morning workout before work.  I did one of my usual workouts. I make a moderate weight heavy through controlling rep speed and the range of motion.  For example on deadlifts I do a relatively slow negative. Most people I see in the gym completely discard the negative on deadlifts.

M.A.G pull down 2 x 10 140lbs ( no lean back and I touch the top of my chest each rep. I could use a lot more weight if I used the lean back and heave method stopping the movement six inches from the top of my chest.)
Seated lat pulley rows 2 x 12 170lbs (All the way out and back)
Single arm dumbbell rows with knee on bench 2 x 10 80lbs ( Dead hang and all the way up. Slow controlled reps)
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 8 70lbs (With my bad shoulder I found that I can make a light weight heavy by doing a full range of motion and slow reps. If I stopped when my upper arms were parallel to the ground as in half reps as is the universal custom in gyms today I could use a lot more weight rather than going for the stretch.)
Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 65lbs
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Push ups 2 x max ( regular and one set with perfect push up handles.)

Deadlifts 2 x 4 315lbs (Slow negatives) 
Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind the head 

Ab wheel roll outs 2 x 22
Pulley crunches 1 x 40 I keep changing the weight I use with this. Sometimes a lighter weight feels more intense.  Maybe a more complete range of  movement. The true ab contraction is very short.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1745 on: March 30, 2021, 06:01:03 PM »
I've felt good on it.

Let's see...for the past year you've been eating like a pig, drinking like a fish, and getting fat, and you're concerned about what I'm eating!

Asshole, you recommended a diet and I simply asked if you use it.  I don't drink like a fish and I'm very far from fat. I'm in good shape.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1746 on: March 30, 2021, 06:01:11 PM »
Sounds really radical.  Also sounds really high in fats. Have you adhered to this diet strictly?  How did you feel?  Many a bodybuilder have used high protein, high fat and low carb diets.

I'd respond but why bother.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1747 on: March 30, 2021, 06:08:05 PM »
Asshole, you recommended a diet and I simply asked if you use it.  I don't drink like a fish and I'm very far from fat. I'm in good shape.

You do drink like a fish and you are fat.

You are always posting about how much you drink.

You are 5'8" or so and you weigh 190-200 lbs.  That's fat.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1748 on: April 01, 2021, 04:19:05 PM »
You do drink like a fish and you are fat.

You are always posting about how much you drink.

You are 5'8" or so and you weigh 190-200 lbs.  That's fat.

I'm in very good shape by any measurement. Bet I'm leaner than you jerk off.  I drink twice a week. Sometimes three times. Yes, there are social drinkers. You have always been a very hostile strange guy.  I ignored your insults and taunts but no more.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1749 on: April 01, 2021, 04:28:39 PM »
I'm in very good shape by any measurement. Bet I'm leaner than you jerk off.  I drink twice a week. Sometimes three times. Yes, there are social drinkers. You have always been a very hostile strange guy.  I ignored your insults and taunts but no more.

Unless you come to terms with your problems you can't be cured.

It's too bad you are so insecure about yourself.