Author Topic: Training camp  (Read 4112 times)

body88

Training camp
« on: July 30, 2007, 06:59:31 AM »
Went down to watch the pats practice yesterday. There where 8000 people there, lol ! Any of you guys go over to tc to watch a few reps? If so let us know what is going on!

Meriweather looks awesome so far. He has really impressed the hell out of everyone thus far. He has been playing corner mostly. While also getting some reps at safety behind Rodney.The versatility this kid has is huge. To be athletic enough to play corner at a very high level as well as fs and ss is huge in the pats system. I am beyond pumped they got this kid. I was raving about this kid before the draft. He has been spending a ton of time with Harrison and seems like a great kid. Always talking to the media and joking with his teammates. Very dedicated and works hard. Jabar Gaffney has also looked awesome. He has seemed to build a real rapport with Brady. He is always where he needs to be on the field and has shown a real talent for finding openings in the offense. This kid looks like he is really going to excel with this team. Gaffney had some big time games in the playoffs. Several 100 plus yard games. He has looked very sharp and shows a real knack for getting yac. I think the kid really got comfortable in this offense. He has been impressive so far. I think Washington and Caldwell are going to get cut. Although I would like to keep Reche for some insurance. Neither have looked sharp in camp. Although Washington is very good on special teams. Chad Scott injured his knee. No ir yet so that is good news. Although Bill would list a player with no arm as day to day. Moss has looked awesome. Watching him practice in person is pretty impressive. He has been very quite and has been working hard. Seems to get along great with his teammates. His participation in the offseason programs seemed to really make the transition pretty smooth Adalius Thomas has looked awesome.  He looks like he is going to fill that Ted Johnson Mike spot nicely. He has been impressive showing his ability to cover and rush off the edge. Very versatile player. Most everyone agrees he is all he was supposed to be. Thomas spends a lot of time with Teddy. I think they have become good friends. Tory James made a 60 yard over the shoulder int. Pretty cool to see. not bad for a old guy! Welker is the farthest along of the new receivers. Looks like he has played for NE since he came into the NFL. granted he has been terrorizing NE since he came into the league. Rodney and Welker have become good friends. Welker is going to make a fine slot guy imo. He looked good returning kicks, but the real talent there is Hobbs. As seen in the AFC championship game the boy can run. I hope he can return kicks this year. He is the best return man we have. Well next to Maroney, but Maroney will be a full time back so ob he wont be returning kicks anymore. James Sanders has looked great. Another young player starting to mature. Cut from a Maloy like mold expect him to really come on this year. He played some last year and showed flashes of what he could do. Brown and Seymour had offseason surgery so they are on the "pup" right now. David Thomas is on pup. His foot is almost healed I think (broke it awhile back) Stallworth was on pup but I saw him in passing drills awhile back. No idea what roster manipulation is going on with the pup. Maroney looked big. Tom looked sharp. Nothing major to report.

Second year player out of Michigan Pierre woods is looking more and more like another nice find for Belichick and Pioli. He has been getting a ton of reps behind  Colvin at olb and has looked impressive. Also seventh round pick Oser Lau has been getting a ton of reps at ilb. Looks like he could be the sleeper of the draft for us. Kareem Brown was suspended. No idea why. Rumor is he was late to a meeting. Either way he is a bonehead. I think he was a great pickup, well if he stops getting suspended before he plays a down that is ::)

Second year Texas te David Thomas is going to be the shocker of the year. He looked great in his limited playing time last year. Stuck behind Graham and Watson he did not get a ton of chances to play. When he did he was great. I honestly think he is a better te then Watson. I tell you what this kid is going to be something. He is healing a broken foot right now.

Second year wr Chad Jackson is reportedly ahead of schedule healing the acl he tore in the indy game. NE has the possibility to have a pretty devastating wr core this year. Have not said that before!

thisiskeith12

Re: Training camp
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 08:21:44 AM »
Hey Body88,

I went to the Saints Training Camp this morning. They had a short walk-thru today, but yesterday they ran some 7 on 7 drills and the defense looked really improved. The offense was really rusty, Brees had 3 deep balls dropped by Henderson (1) and Stecker (2). Reggie Bush dropped 2 passes out of the backfield. Deuce McAllister kept getting some attention to his right knee as well. However, it was the first day of practice, so I assume the offense will start clicking better later this week. I'll post some pictures later as I got to hang out with Deuce after practice.

body88

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »
Hey Body88,

I went to the Saints Training Camp this morning. They had a short walk-thru today, but yesterday they ran some 7 on 7 drills and the defense looked really improved. The offense was really rusty, Brees had 3 deep balls dropped by Henderson (1) and Stecker (2). Reggie Bush dropped 2 passes out of the backfield. Deuce McAllister kept getting some attention to his right knee as well. However, it was the first day of practice, so I assume the offense will start clicking better later this week. I'll post some pictures later as I got to hang out with Deuce after practice.

Thanks for the info Keith. Def post those pictures! How was Deuce to hang out with?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:34:13 AM »
Of course everybody is going to be rusty on the first day of training camp. That's a natural occurrence.

I admire your enthusiasm about your team, Body88. You are definitely a true fan in every sense of the word, bro.

Ravens camp opened today. First the rookies, then the Vets came out an hour later. I am so glad they signed 1st round pick Ben Grubbs out of Auburn to a contract last Thursday. The kid now can have a full training camp with the o-line and learn from one of the best of all time, future hall of famer, Jonathan Ogden. Grubbs is a good natured, laid back, southern boy.

Ray Lewis appeared to be in incredible shape. At 32, he knows that his football mortality is creeping up on him. He will not be as good as past seasons, but he'll still be able to carry the defense at times this season. Ed Reed will cement his status as the best safety in the game, provided he stays healthy. Reed has had some durability issues but few safeties can dominate a game like Reed can.

Willis Mcgahee looked fluid and crisp this morning catching everything out of the back field during drills with Steve Mcnair. Big things are expected from Willis this year. Toughness and attitude have been question marks for Mcgahee but with the likes of Lewis, Reed, Ogden, Mcnair and company....don't expect the Ravens starting tailback to be a whiny bitch this year. He adds another dimension to the offense with his versatility. he does not require a lead back, which allows offensive coordinator Rick Neuheisel to incorporate different looks to the offense with added skill players on both passing and running downs.

There is one player on the Ravens roster than is going to have a huge impact for the Ravens' offense this season. I can bet no one outside of Baltimore knows who he is.

I'm talking about 2nd year pro Demetrius Williams, who will absolutely challenge for a starting position behind veteran Derrick Mason and vastly improving third year pro, Mark Clayton[/b]. [/b] I predict a breakout year for Williams because he has all the tools to be a starting wideout in the NFL.

The Ravens appear close to offering a contract extension to Terrell Suggs sometime in early August. Both sides appear to be slightly apart in numbers but there is no question in my mind that the front office will hammer a new deal before week one. For those people who think the Ravens will let Suggs walk after this season better think again. The Ravens' front office have a tremendous track record in securing franchise players to long term extensions before they are free agents. T-Sizzle(as he's known in B-more) will be no exception. After all, that's why they let Adalius Thomas walk in order to sign Suggs.

More to report after day one....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »
Great thread. 

Body - How does Maroney look? 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »
I'm a Giants fan
fucken Strahan >:(

body88

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
Of course everybody is going to be rusty on the first day of training camp. That's a natural occurrence.

I admire your enthusiasm about your team, Body88. You are definitely a true fan in every sense of the word, bro.

Ravens camp opened today. First the rookies, then the Vets came out an hour later. I am so glad they signed 1st round pick Ben Grubs out of Auburn to a contract last Thursday. The kid now can have a full training camp with the o-line and learn from one of the best of all time, future hall of famer, Jonathan Ogden. Grubbs is a good natured, laid back, southern boy.

Ray Lewis appeared to be in incredible shape. At 32, he knows that his football mortality is creeping up on him. He will not be as good as past seasons, but he'll still be able to carry the defense at times this season. Ed Reed will cement his status as the best safety in the game, provided he stays healthy. Reed has had some durability issues but few safeties can dominate a game like Reed can.

Willis Mcgahee looked fluid and crisp this morning catching everything out of the back field during drills with Steve Mcnair. Big things are expected from Willis this year. Toughness and attitude have been question marks for Mcgahee but with the likes of Lewis, Reed, Ogden, Mcnair and company....don't expect the Ravens starting tailback to be a whiny bitch this year. He adds another dimension to the offense with his versatility. he does not require a lead back, which allows offensive coordinator Rick Neuheisel to incorporate different looks to the offense with added skill players on both passing and running downs.

There is one player on the Ravens roster than is going to have a huge impact for the Ravens' offense this season. I can bet no one outside of Baltimore knows who he is.

I'm talking about 2nd year pro Demetrius Williams, who will absolutely challenge for a starting position behind veteran Derrick Mason and vastly improving third year pro, Mark Clayton[/b]. [/b] I predict a breakout year for Williams because he has all the tools to be a starting wideout in the NFL.

The Ravens appear close to offering a contract extension to Terrell Suggs sometime in early August. Both sides appear to be slightly apart in numbers but there is no question in my mind that the front office will hammer a new deal before week one. For those people who think the Ravens will let Suggs walk after this season better think again. The Ravens' front office have a tremendous track record in securing franchise players to long term extensions before they are free agents. T-Sizzle(as he's known in B-more) will be no exception. After all, that's why they let Adalius Thomas walk in order to sign Suggs.

More to report after day one....

Thanks bro. I have been watching the pats since I was a kid. Back since the old Shaffer days  complete with the aluminum benches. Back when you where taking your life into your hands going to a game!

Thanks for the ravens report. Sounds like the Ravens will be chewing up teams as always come seasons start!

I really enjoyed watching Adalius play. I think he is going to fill that Ted Johnson Mike role the pats have been sorely missing. He also brings the added ability to cover and rush of the edge with great effectivness. Although his best years where in Baltimore, I think he is going to be a tremendous pickup for this system and the team as a whole!

body88

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:50:16 PM »
Great thread. 

Body - How does Maroney look? 

Maroney looked to be in good condition. Looked to be at his normal playing weight. Saw him rush a few times. Ran hard and made crisp cuts.  Was joking laughing and pushing teamates. Saw him hit the sled and raise it over his head several times. Shoulder looks to be fine. I guess the surgery was to correct a lingering problem he had with his shoulder popping in and out of place frequently. He is not 100 percent yet, but close imo.

The pats are switching to a zone blocking scheme like he ran in college this year. With the wr core and the te tandem of Thomas and Watson he could see some serious yards this season imo.

Sorry to hear about Bill Walsh. How is niners camp?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 01:08:28 PM »

Maroney looked to be in good condition. Looked to be at his normal playing weight. Saw him rush a few times. Ran hard and made crisp cuts.  Was joking laughing and pushing teamates. Saw him hit the sled and raise it over his head several times. Shoulder looks to be fine. I guess the surgery was to correct a lingering problem he had with his shoulder popping in and out of place frequently. He is not 100 percent yet, but close imo.

The pats are switching to a zone blocking scheme like he ran in college this year. With the wr core and the te tandem of Thomas and Watson he could see some serious yards this season imo.

Sorry to hear about Bill Walsh. How is niners camp?

Thanks for the report.  I hope to draft Maroney on my FF team. 

Sad news about Walsh.  He will be missed. 

Niners have all of their picks signed and in camp.  Only person who wasn't there on Sunday was Larry Allen, who was supposed to show up today.  I'm optimistic about our team this year.  Nice pieces on O (An improving Smith, Gore, DJax, Lelie, and Vernon Davis).  Great additions on D.  Former Pat Tully Banta-Cain has apparently looked good so far.   

body88

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 01:10:30 PM »

I was just going to tell you to draft him if you had the shot. Banta is a solid player. He is a worker. He can help you. Glad to hear he is doing well.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »
Maroney has all the tools to be a great back but I think he has to refine his running style which I think contributed to his nagging injuries throughout last season. Guy needs to improve his decision making when it comes to fighting for extra yards and simply knowing when to go down to avoid unecessary injury. You can admire his effort but you have to play smarter when it comes to taking hits. Needs to run with lower pad level, IMO.

Am I wrong on this Body88? Just my observation watching him last season.

body88

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »
Maroney has all the tools to be a great back but I think he has to refine his running style which I think contributed to his nagging injuries throughout last season. Guy needs to improve his decision making when it comes to fighting for extra yards and simply knowing when to go down to avoid unecessary injury. You can admire his effort but you have to play smarter when it comes to taking hits. Needs to run with lower pad level, IMO.

Am I wrong on this Body88? Just my observation watching him last season.

No you are dead on. Like you said Maroney is the type of back who will drop his shoulder and smash his way for those two extra yards. He was a beast at Minnesota. He needs to improve his decision making. He has to manage his body better. I agree he has all the tools. I am not trying to be a homer either. The kid is one hell of a back. He has that extra gear and ability to punish tacklers while also cutting slices in defenses. The switch to zone blocking is going to help him a lot. That is what he is used to running in and fits his style better. Also with the lack luster wr core last year it was hard to get the safety's out of the box. With the new offensive weapons it is going to be a whole different ball game this year.

If you watch him on film when he gets into the secondary he breaks peoples ankles. I swear it looks like a train picking up speed when he tucks the ball and hits the jets. Can you tell who my fav player is?

Kudos on a great observation guts. Always good when a big fan of a rival teams puts in the time to watch some player on there opponents squad.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »
Yeah, I figured he was your guy. ;D

I like his frantic, fast twitch running style, too. I know my white ass would be fucking toast in the open field trying to tackle that guy!

I really think this kid is loaded with pro bowl potential. But he has to scale down his style of running. He will cut years offs his career if he keeps that fight for extra yardage shit up. I've seen films of running backs like Earl Campbell and watched careers up close like Eddie George run with that style(both of whom had careers cut prematurely short in their very early 30's). It's brutal to the opposition and the defenders that line up against you do not look forward to facing you.

But ultimately, longevity is what defines a Hall of Fame career. In the end, he loses because you can really debilitate yourself with that style. But I think your running backs coach, offensive coordinator, and team medical staff have no doubt spoken to him about this.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 10:53:55 PM »
Don't worry about his style, this sounds like the experts on getbig last year who claimed that Vince Young "would have to change his style to play NFL ball" LOL

Running the ball physically is what Czonka did, and he didn't have nagging injuries. Neither did Peyton and he was definitely a physical back; some guys can carry it and not get hurt, some eventually do get hurt but you can't automatically assume it's due to the number of carries. Campbell had other problems besides injuries, namely a team that fell apart around him after Philips left.

He's a solid RB; have yet to see any superstar qualities but he's solid and carries out the other assignments like blocking and receiving, which is all that NE has required of backs over the Superbowls. They really haven't needed a  superstar RB to get the job done.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »
Don't worry about his style, this sounds like the experts on getbig last year who claimed that Vince Young "would have to change his style to play NFL ball" LOL

Running the ball physically is what Czonka did, and he didn't have nagging injuries. Neither did Peyton and he was definitely a physical back; some guys can carry it and not get hurt, some eventually do get hurt but you can't automatically assume it's due to the number of carries. Campbell had other problems besides injuries, namely a team that fell apart around him after Philips left.

He's a solid RB; have yet to see any superstar qualities but he's solid and carries out the other assignments like blocking and receiving, which is all that NE has required of backs over the Superbowls. They really haven't needed a  superstar RB to get the job done.

All good points. But I still feel that style increases your body's vulnerability to injury in the long run. True, Payton was a physical back but he knew how to avoid big hits with his smooth, patient running style. Maroney sees a hole fill up and he usually tries to smash through it instead of using a jump cut technique to buy extra time to bounce to the outside if necessary. Csonka is a rare exception. Just to be a dick, I'll say that Csonka played in an era where the players back then wern't as fast or as big as they are today. That's a weak argument but fuck it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »
All good points. But I still feel that style increases your body's vulnerability to injury in the long run. True, Payton was a physical back but he knew how to avoid big hits with his smooth, patient running style. Maroney sees a hole fill up and he usually tries to smash through it instead of using a jump cut technique to buy extra time to bounce to the outside if necessary. Csonka is a rare exception. Just to be a dick, I'll say that Csonka played in an era where the players back then wern't as fast or as big as they are today. That's a weak argument but fuck it.

Csonka was the shit.  Even towards the end of his career when he played for the giants he layed out a Defensive end George Martin on a 1 on 1 tackle drill.   George Lived across the street from me when i was growing up and told me about the first time he faced Csonka on the 1 on 1 drill.  He said he hit him and the next thing he knew he was flat on his back.  George was like 6 foot 5 and 280lbs.

So i'm not sure about how he'd play today.  But what does that matter?   The talent levels are relative right?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 12:49:48 PM »
Day 2 at Ravens camp in Westminster, MD.

Offense looked in rhythm today. Todd Heap looked like he dropped some weight and he looks faster. Defense practiced for a short bit as a unit before they broke off into groups. Jarrett Johnson, the strongside linebacker that is replacing the departed Adalius Thomas looked pretty good out there. Haven't seen him play much in the past, just on special teams.

Haloti Ngata will become one of the best defensive tackles in the game this season. This guy is an absolute monster! You talk about a space eating widebody that can allow the linebackers to make plays. Pretty soon opposing offensive coordinators are going to have to gameplan around this guy. His strength and power reminds me a lot of Jamal Williams, the DT for the Chargers, except younger. Watch out for this dude, his star is rising.

Mcnair looked smooth out there throwing the ball. He looks broken down at times to me and he's lost A LOT of flexibility and mobility as he's gotten older. But he's my quarterback and I have to stand by him.

Players concluded practice by signing autographs for the fans. More to report later.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 06:46:15 AM »
I wish I could get up to Albany to see the Gmen but it aint happening.

body88

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 06:35:18 AM »
8 / 01 / 07 report.

For all those who thought the pats where crazy for not taking a lb hold that thought until this season. Second year lb Peire Woods has looked outstanding in camp. He has been taking reps with the first team since the start of camp. Woods looked great in passing drills vs the tight ends. Time after time he got to the qb. Great first step. He is consistently getting rave reviews. Hope he can step in and contribute this year.

Jabar Gaffney is clearly the best receiver in camp other then Randy. Welker has been very good but Gaffney has stood out all camp. Since he came to the pats in week three of last season which meant he had zero timing with Brady until they learned one another's timing. As you guys know by the end of the year he was very effective and had several 100 plus yard games in the playoffs. Right now Gaffney is Toms go to guy in the red zone along with Moss. Now that they have had time to work out each others timing they have become a great tandem. Gaffney made a crazy catch where he reached over a defenders shoulder and plucked the ball out from in front of his chest. I think he will be a giant surprise to a lot of people this year. Right now he looks like a Deion clone flying around. The way Gaffney and Tom work reminds me of how he was with Branch. Watch for him.

Welker has been very good. Solid all around. He looks like a little hornet bombing around the field. Very quick and shifty. He has been very good in return drills also. Excited to see this guy work in the slot. Little spark plug.

Hobbs is having a great camp. Looks like a different player now that he is healthy. He was lighting it up on return drills.

Moss and Brady are really starting to gel. Moss has been the best receiver in camp. Made some crazy catches. He tweaked his quad on a flea flicker yesterday. Lest the Field under his own power. Does not look to be anything serious.

I am excited to see thomas get back into camp so he can start working with Brady again. I think he will be a big surprise at the te position this year.

Cassel is much improved this year. Still holds the ball to long at times tho. Matt Gutierrez  is showing a lot of promise also. He has looked pretty good.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 06:37:24 AM »
Kinda suprised about hearing how good Gaffney has looked. He didn't catch on in with the Texans and he really didn't contribute much with the Eagles.

Why is he all of sudden breaking through?

How's Stallworth looking?

body88

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 06:47:59 AM »
Kinda suprised about hearing how good Gaffney has looked. He didn't catch on in with the Texans and he really didn't contribute much with the Eagles.

Why is he all of sudden breaking through?

The texans had a pretty pitaful offensive line. Carr was always getting sacked and barley had time to breath.Maybe gaffney just got lost in the shuffle. he was a high second round pick so he has talent. Gaffney had a few 100 plus yard games in the playoffs last year and has looked outstanding in camp. Since gaffney came in at week three last year it was tough to evaluate him. By the end of the year it looked like Brady and Gaffney had some sort of timing and he looked great. I can tell you he has looked outstanding in camp. He seems to have a feel for things now and anticipates Toms throws. Ob a product of finally getting some timing down. Gaffney reminds me of Branch right now.  Gaffney will be a sideline possesion receiver like Givens was imo. Since Moss is the clear number one. Welker in the slot, Stallworth will back up Moss and be used on 4wr sets for his speed. I think Caldwell will back up Gaffney, Washington will play special teams, and Brown will get puped and join the team in Nov imo.

Reiss on lb Piere Woods

3) Woods on the warpath. In a blocking drill in which running backs and tight ends square off against surging linebackers, one on one, linebacker Pierre Woods stole the show. Woods powered past third-year tight end Matt Kranchick twice. A second-year linebacker from Michigan, Woods was an offseason award winner and looks primed to step into a top backup role previously occupied by Tully Banta-Cain. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 07:18:42 AM »
I'm waiting to see what happens with the Giants in regards to Strahan,Simeon Rice{if he signs},and
Osi.
Osi said he's not changing from right to left end for Rice if Rice signs.
besides that a quiet Giants camp so far.

body88

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 09:42:01 AM »
I'm waiting to see what happens with the Giants in regards to Strahan,Simeon Rice{if he signs},and
Osi.
Osi said he's not changing from right to left end for Rice if Rice signs.
besides that a quiet Giants camp so far.

How do you feel about Coughlin?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 07:48:15 AM »

How do you feel about Coughlin?

I was really hoping Lovie Smith didn't re-sign with the Bears ;)
I tried to like Coughlin but he's a hard guy to like.He outta control on the sidelines
but he tells his players to be under control.he doesn't have control of his team,way to many penalties for the Giants.he also stinks when it comes to the media,no personality at all.

That being said he's not had any help from his team,Barber saying they've  out coached and having a retirement speech every week during the season ::)
now this crap with Strahan doesn't help.
In NY everybody is hoping for Cowher next year.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 07:55:10 AM »

I was really hoping Lovie Smith didn't re-sign with the Bears ;)
I tried to like Coughlin but he's a hard guy to like.He outta control on the sidelines
but he tells his players to be under control.he doesn't have control of his team,way to many penalties for the Giants.he also stinks when it comes to the media,no personality at all.

That being said he's not had any help from his team,Barber saying they've  out coached and having a retirement speech every week during the season ::)
now this crap with Strahan doesn't help.
In NY everybody is hoping for Cowher next year.
Good luck with the cowher dream, but if the skins don't win this year snyder is going to unload two trucks full of cash to sign him and VA is closer to NC then New York.