Author Topic: James Harrison spurns Obama = Real Steeler  (Read 4854 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
James Harrison spurns Obama = Real Steeler
« on: May 17, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »
On Thursday, President Obama will welcome the Pittsburgh Steelers to the White House to honor the team for its recent Super Bowl victory. But, just like in 2006 when the Steelers had a post-title meeting with George W. Bush, defensive MVP (and Super Bowl hero) James Harrison won't be in attendance. But he has a good reason:

"This is how I feel -- if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won."

Usually, when a sentence begins with "as far as I'm concerned," it ends with an opinion, not an incontrovertible fact. Harrison's comment is akin to saying, "As far as I'm concerned, George Washington was the first president."

Of course the Cards would have received the White House invite if they had won. Winners get to go meet the president, losers don't. They also get the trophy, the parade and those hats that say "Super Bowl champs". I don't think James Harrison(notes) turned down any of those things, which makes his refusal to go to the White House a tad hypocritical.

When Harrison won the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award, he didn't decline and say, "As far as I'm was concerned, they would've given this award to someone else if they had had a better defensive season than me." And when he scored that touchdown in the Super Bowl after returning an interception 100 yards, I'm pretty sure Harrison didn't tell the ref to take the points off the board because, as far as he was concerned, if Larry Fitzgerald(notes) had caught him, Harrison wouldn't have scored.

As far as I'm concerned, James Harrison is sort of a fool. If he doesn't want to go to the White House, fine. (Although I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to meet the President of the United States.) But don't make a lame excuse in an attempt to  justify your decision. Leave that for NFL referees. 
D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: James Harrison spurns Obama = Real Steeler
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
On Thursday, President Obama will welcome the Pittsburgh Steelers to the White House to honor the team for its recent Super Bowl victory. But, just like in 2006 when the Steelers had a post-title meeting with George W. Bush, defensive MVP (and Super Bowl hero) James Harrison won't be in attendance. But he has a good reason:

"This is how I feel -- if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won."

Usually, when a sentence begins with "as far as I'm concerned," it ends with an opinion, not an incontrovertible fact. Harrison's comment is akin to saying, "As far as I'm concerned, George Washington was the first president."

Of course the Cards would have received the White House invite if they had won. Winners get to go meet the president, losers don't. They also get the trophy, the parade and those hats that say "Super Bowl champs". I don't think James Harrison(notes) turned down any of those things, which makes his refusal to go to the White House a tad hypocritical.

When Harrison won the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award, he didn't decline and say, "As far as I'm was concerned, they would've given this award to someone else if they had had a better defensive season than me." And when he scored that touchdown in the Super Bowl after returning an interception 100 yards, I'm pretty sure Harrison didn't tell the ref to take the points off the board because, as far as he was concerned, if Larry Fitzgerald(notes) had caught him, Harrison wouldn't have scored.

As far as I'm concerned, James Harrison is sort of a fool. If he doesn't want to go to the White House, fine. (Although I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to meet the President of the United States.) But don't make a lame excuse in an attempt to  justify your decision. Leave that for NFL referees. 

As far as I'm concerned, James Harrison should have been ejected from the superbowl for the 3-4 punches he threw at that Cardinals player on special teams....

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, James Harrison should have been ejected from the superbowl for the 3-4 punches he threw at that Cardinals player on special teams....

it wouldn't have made a difference if he was ejected, but he wouldn't have PUSHED the cardinals player if he didn't go for his balls

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »

Yep.  Agree. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:43:01 PM »
it wouldn't have made a difference if he was ejected, but he wouldn't have PUSHED the cardinals player if he didn't go for his balls

E

haha, "PUSHED?" classic Earl.....

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
I'm a Die Hard Steeler Fan (over 30 years), a proud Obama supporter, and WAS a James Harrison fan.

This makes no sense - as if the POTUS has time to meet with all 32 NFL teams even if they don't win the Superbowl,
or even make it to the playoffs.  The guy has a major case of hubris.  I would have rather him made a stance ON a political
or moral issue than this.  If he didn't want to see Bush because of the Iraq War, that would be one thing.  If he didn't want
to see the president over his abortion stance, again yet another thing.

He's on my team, so I'll root for him, but he's embarrased the Steelers - especially Rooney, who endorsed, and publically thanked Obama after the win, and Black people, who've prayed and struggled to see such a turn in American history as was Obama's election to President.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »
Seriously.....who gives a flying fuck whether he goes or not?

He's probably too busy working on his 5th kid in as many baby's mamas.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 02:39:12 PM »
the thing with harrison is he still has the "me against the world" mentality

he had some bad experiences as a kid that gave him trust issues, as a football player he was always doubted because of his size

this is a guy that played at low level kent state probably because of his size and was cut once by the ravens and several times by the steelers, he would be out of the league if clark haggans never broke his hand lifting weights back in camp 04, he will always have a chip on his shoulder

now he is rich and has made his mark in the league, he looks down on people that all of a sudden want to put him on a pedestal

it's like the kid that never got invited to parties, then that kid becomes rich and famous and all the kids suddenly want to be his friend, where were these people when he needed them?

that's how he looks at the white house invite, he thinks it's a frontrunner type of situation

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »

haha maybe he wants to work out that day

he was training for the next season two days after the last one ended

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 02:49:57 PM »
haha maybe he wants to work out that day

he was training for the next season two days after the last one ended

E

He is a monster but getting long in the tooth, age-wise. His production may drop off now that he has the big contract. We'll see.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »
He is a monster but getting long in the tooth, age-wise. His production may drop off now that he has the big contract. We'll see.

he's 30 and don't forget he didn't become a starter until the 07 season, that makes him young compared to a 30 year old linebacker that's been starting since his 1st or 2nd year

if his production drops off, it won't be because of money

that chip on his shoulder is more than enough motivation

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
he's 30 and don't forget he didn't become a starter until the 07 season, that makes him young compared to a 30 year old linebacker that's been starting since his 1st or 2nd year

E

Soon to be 31 but who's counting.....

body88

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »
He's juiced to the gills.  Everyone is.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
He's juiced to the gills.  Everyone is.

think so? im not so sure, not including HGH of course but i would think they could detect anything else through tests. as for HGH i havent heard of too many people getting busted, the only one that comes to mind is Harrison and he got busted not for testing positive but by the way he purchased it if i remember correctly? i only remember cause he was the best player to have been caught to my recollection. not Pats bashing..yet

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »

E

Harrison is no Ray Lewis
D

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:46 PM »
Harrison is no Ray Lewis

that's true, ray started at a young age

harrison started late and will have fresh legs and less wear and tear 8)

E
E

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 10:43:36 PM »
that's true, ray started at a young age

harrison started late and will have fresh legs and less wear and tear 8)

E

didnt ray play in a 4-3 for the better part of his career?

i know playing lb in a 3-4 is going to be a lot more grueling than in a 4-3 where you can roam free more often.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »
think so? im not so sure, not including HGH of course but i would think they could detect anything else through tests. as for HGH i havent heard of too many people getting busted, the only one that comes to mind is Harrison and he got busted not for testing positive but by the way he purchased it if i remember correctly? i only remember cause he was the best player to have been caught to my recollection. not Pats bashing..yet

That's because there isn't a test that accurately tests for it as of yet. But there will be one day, you better believe that. And once there is, some big names in the NFL will drop like flies. In all major sports, actually.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:59 PM »
That's because there isn't a test that accurately tests for it as of yet. But there will be one day, you better believe that. And once there is, some big names in the NFL will drop like flies. In all major sports, actually.

i know there isnt a test for hgh, call me ignorant but i was just hoping perhaps the NFL with their strict policy would have less bad apples than the MLB. considering all things they can test for everything else, is it just hgh that they could be taking?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 07:30:28 AM »
i know there isnt a test for hgh, call me ignorant but i was just hoping perhaps the NFL with their strict policy would have less bad apples than the MLB. considering all things they can test for everything else, is it just hgh that they could be taking?

The only NFL players that have been busted for HGH are the geniuses that leave a paper trail when buying it. How can anyone forget certifiable genuis Rodney Harrison, geting caught for buying HGH with a check?

The only reason he admitted to using it was because he was caught buying it with a check. I would say that over 70% of NFL players take HGH.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 08:28:22 AM »

amazing...How did you come to that conclusion

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 08:31:46 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harrison_(American_football)

He has one child, James Harrison III, born in 2007.[21]

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 08:59:09 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harrison_(American_football)

He has one child, James Harrison III, born in 2007.[21]

I was fucking around, dude. It was a harmless generalization. Shit....Ray Lewis has 6 kids from 2 different mothers.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
James Harrison is an idiot although I wish I were him making millions and winning superbowls.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 07:35:09 AM »
James Harrison is an idiot although I wish I were him making millions and winning superbowls.

yes...his publisist should tell him to never speak to the press..just put quarterbacks on their asses and the millions will roll in