Author Topic: San Diego Chargers  (Read 2516 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
San Diego Chargers
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:18:11 AM »
OK, I have to admit I am a lifelong SD fan.  When we didn't have a team in NC, I became a huge fan during the Fouts years.  I also suffered thru 20 years, with one exception, of garbage football.  Marty S. brought a toughness and respectability to the team and got canned after a very successful season by anybodys standards.  The idea was to "get the team over the hump" they needed a more dynamic offense.  I agree, but how about just bringing in a new off. coordinator instead of firing Marty? 

So, now fastforward.....SD had to make an incredible run last year to just get into the playoffs, did well because of Rivers, but still came up short.  And they look totally lost this season.  Unless they make a miracle turnaround this year, it's time for Norv to go.  They are playing such uninspired football....except Rivers....that it's painful to watch.

The front office has done a great job drafting the last 5-6 years and has assembled some awesome talent, but they just play so flat in so many games.  Primarily on defense.

My choice?  Give Ron Rivera a shot.  Singletary is doing a great job in SF, and Rivera has the same mentality.  He's an asst with them now.

I know I'm just a know-nothing fan, but does anybody else see this?

Rant/meltdown over.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: San Diego Chargers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:39:56 AM »
The D for them sucks right now.

body88

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »
They've been the most overrated team in the NFL for many years.  Until they get a real coach, and get rid of some of the locker room meatheads, they will continue to underachieve.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:34:46 AM »
They've been the most overrated team in the NFL for many years.  Until they get a real coach, and get rid of some of the locker room meatheads, they will continue to underachieve.

I agree.  Rivers is the only real leader on the team.  And I think the "jawing" criticism of him is waaaaaay overdone.  They need someone on the defensive side badly.  I wanted them to get Brooking from Atl so bad.  Just the kinda guy to set the tone and not cost the bank, but didn't happen.

LT isn't one, look at his sulking when he was injured in the playoffs.  Merriman is a doofus and shell of his former self.  Cromartie is more interested in the spectacular instead of the routine.  One guy I really like is Weddle.  No BS and plays his heart out.  He just doesn't have the physical tools.  It really hurts losing Jamal Williams again, but their run defense looks like a college team vs an NFL team.

body88

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »
I agree.  Rivers is the only real leader on the team.  And I think the "jawing" criticism of him is waaaaaay overdone.  They need someone on the defensive side badly.  I wanted them to get Brooking from Atl so bad.  Just the kinda guy to set the tone and not cost the bank, but didn't happen.

LT isn't one, look at his sulking when he was injured in the playoffs.  Merriman is a doofus and shell of his former self.  Cromartie is more interested in the spectacular instead of the routine.  One guy I really like is Weddle.  No BS and plays his heart out.  He just doesn't have the physical tools.  It really hurts losing Jamal Williams again, but their run defense looks like a college team vs an NFL team.

You hit the nail on the head.  It's not always about the freak athletes.  I'll take a good player who is a team guy over a freak like Cromartie that only cares about themselves and the highlights.  Yes, Rivers is a very good player, but I think he contributes to the disfunctional nature of his team.  I know that you think it's overblown, but think about it....the constant jawing and bad attitude towards other teams can rub off on players who might be bad apples, already.  Why not focus your team and do the talking with your play?  How much respect do you have for guys who are strong enough to shrug off another teams shit-talking and go out there and lead their team to victory.  Manning, Brady and Breeze never talk shit in the media.  Where is the Veteran leadership on that team?  People make fun of the pats for signing a guy like Seau, but it's not for his talent or for his ability.  The Pats have two young lb's that are very good.  It's for his leadership of players like Guyton and Mayo.  The pats defence is very young and very talented, but they need someone who can guide them.  I think it's the same way in San D, but for the whole team.  They need a wiley old vet to come in and set them straight.  God knows the head coach can't do it.  Btw, I like Weddle.  He plays the game the right way.

LT is another idiot who they should cut.  You might think I'm crazy, but I think they should cut Merimann, LT and change the coach.  Bring in Cowher and douche the me guys.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
Shaun Phillips is a really good player and not a head case on defense. I like his game along with Weddle's.

Marty Schottenheimer was the best coach San Diego ever had, if you ask me. He loved defense and he let Cam Cameron run the offense. How many coaches get fired after leading their team to a 14-2 record? He should have been given one more season to coach the team after they lost to the Patriots in the Jan. 07 playoffs. He brought the right mentality and intensity that team needed. Merriman is an absolute clown with that stupid mohawk of his. The bright lights of the LA lifestyle have caught up with him and he's a shell of his former self at the young age of 25. He's an embarrasment now even though he's a Maryland boy who I would normally stick up for.

Sure Schott could never win in the playoffs unless his QB was Joe Montana but firing him and replacing him with Norv Turner was a joke, if you ask me. Turner has always been and forever will be a better offensive coordinator than head coach.

body88

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »
Shaun Phillips is a really good player and not a head case on defense. I like his game along with Weddle's.

Marty Schottenheimer was the best coach San Diego ever had, if you ask me. He loved defense and he let Cam Cameron run the offense. How many coaches get fired after leading their team to a 14-2 record? He should have been given one more season to coach the team after they lost to the Patriots in the Jan. 07 playoffs. He brought the right mentality and intensity that team needed. Merriman is an absolute clown with that stupid mohawk of his. The bright lights of the LA lifestyle have caught up with him and he's a shell of his former self at the young age of 25. He's an embarrasment now even though he's a Maryland boy who I would normally stick up for.

Sure Schott could never win in the playoffs unless his QB was Joe Montana but firing him and replacing him with Norv Turner was a joke, if you ask me. Turner has always been and forever will be a better offensive coordinator than head coach.

You hit the nail on the head, here - also.  Honestly, the Chargers need to cut Merriman, cut LT and then get a new coach....Viola, they'd be a new team.  They have talent all over the place; they need to sign a veteran, team guy, on both sides of the ball and change their identity.  It aint working, and you'r right, firing Marty was a JOKE.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »
Parcells was smart in not taking Merrimen, he is done in that he wont be anywhere near his former self but he can still be a decent lb. he just needs to adjust his attitude to fit his mediocrity.
SD would have been better of keeping Marty as the coach.

body88

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
Parcells was smart in not taking Merrimen, he is done in that he wont be anywhere near his former self but he can still be a decent lb. he just needs to adjust his attitude to fit his mediocrity.
SD would have been better of keeping Marty as the coach.

You'd cut him thought, right?  The Chargers can draft a guy who is more of a team player.  I'd cut LT, also.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »
LT is washed up.  Hate to say it, but it's true.  Can't stay healthy and I can't stand the sulking.  I'd cut him and look to the draft for a RB.

Merriman....I'd get him back on the sauce....hahah joking.....he isn't even an avg player now.  I'd give him once last chance, as he's only 25, but if he didn't adapt to a new role, I'd send him packing too.

As for Rivers, I'm used to him as him being an NC State guy, I've watched him for so long.  I actually like that he shows emotion, but I would prefer he cut out the talk.  None of it is even PG-13, but it just doesn't set the right tone for the team.  Even though much of it is playful, it doesn't come across that way.

Cowher would be a great fit, but unless Fox rights the ship in Carolina, Bill might hold out for that job.  His daughter is at Duke and he has a house here in Raleigh.  Don't know if he could be a "west coast" guy.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
I don't think Cowher would consider a job on the west coast with SD unless he received full control over the team. General manager, head coach, etc. And of course, a shit load of $.

With that being said, I think that rules out the Redskins signing either Cowher or Mike Shanahan because both coaches would ask for that level of control of the franchise. Dan Snyder would never give that level of control to one coach after he gave it to Joe Gibbs.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 02:22:40 PM »
You'd cut him thought, right?  The Chargers can draft a guy who is more of a team player.  I'd cut LT, also.

I would cut or trade him asap! while he still has some value, the first team i would contact would be the Raiders or Cheifs. Merriman would be eager to prove SD wrong for letting him go and the raiders and cheifs would be gullible enough to think he can be what he once was for a brief amount of time. his off field antics and attitude isnt worth it.

Unfortunately I would let LT go also, he has done a heck of alot for the Chargers but he is done. I dont think they can get much for him. coming into this season he was supposed to be the healthiest he's ever been. while in his prime he was great though.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »
its going to be interesting to see where all the ex-coached end up. Cowher, Grudden and Shannahan. one of them is going to end up in Dallas and one wont get a job i believe, i dont know how much value Grudden would have, he made most of the decisions in TB and they dont have much tallent to show for it, not saying he isnt a good coach.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:32:47 PM »
OK, I have to admit I am a lifelong SD fan.  When we didn't have a team in NC, I became a huge fan during the Fouts years.  I also suffered thru 20 years, with one exception, of garbage football.  Marty S. brought a toughness and respectability to the team and got canned after a very successful season by anybodys standards.  The idea was to "get the team over the hump" they needed a more dynamic offense.  I agree, but how about just bringing in a new off. coordinator instead of firing Marty? 

So, now fastforward.....SD had to make an incredible run last year to just get into the playoffs, did well because of Rivers, but still came up short.  And they look totally lost this season.  Unless they make a miracle turnaround this year, it's time for Norv to go.  They are playing such uninspired football....except Rivers....that it's painful to watch.

The front office has done a great job drafting the last 5-6 years and has assembled some awesome talent, but they just play so flat in so many games.  Primarily on defense.

My choice?  Give Ron Rivera a shot.  Singletary is doing a great job in SF, and Rivera has the same mentality.  He's an asst with them now.

I know I'm just a know-nothing fan, but does anybody else see this?

Rant/meltdown over.

I agree with you. Shame, really. Too much talent on that team to not be winning championships or at least contending.
HAHA, RON.....

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »
the chargers are not underachieving

they are losing to better teams like the steelers

E
E

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 01:34:47 PM »

E

on paper the chargers are the better team

body88

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »

Credibility lost.  Sorry my man, that argument is bunk.  On paper, the 2007 Patriots were better than any other team in NFL history.  They haev the stats to back it up also.  Meant shit, they got beat.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »
Credibility lost.  Sorry my man, that argument is bunk.  On paper, the 2007 Patriots were better than any other team in NFL history.  They haev the stats to back it up also.  Meant shit, they got beat.

my point is that on paper the chargers are one of the best teams in the league and dont get far thus they are underachieving hugely..

what applies to one team doesnt necessarily transfer to another, the Pats are a perfect example of that, you cant say the Pats underachieved even if they lost the SB.

E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »

how so ?

qb - give me the guy with two rings
runnin back - steelers (LT is washed up)
tight end - it's close miller is a better blocker, gates slightly better at receiving but it might just seem that way because steelers rarely throw to tight end, miller catches everything thrown his way
o line - chargers
d line - steelers, steeler running game looks like the bettis days the last 3 games against the chargers
linebackers - steelers, merriman is hurt too much and he isn't as good as harrison anyways
secondary - steelers, polamalu alone elevates the steelers over chargers, ike taylor is most underrated corner in the league

coaching - LOL ;D

E

E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »
how so ?

qb - give me the guy with two rings
runnin back - steelers (LT is washed up)
tight end - it's close miller is a better blocker, gates slightly better at receiving but it might just seem that way because steelers rarely throw to tight end, miller catches everything thrown his way
o line - chargers
d line - steelers, steeler running game looks like the bettis days the last 3 games against the chargers
linebackers - steelers, merriman is hurt too much and he isn't as good as harrison anyways
secondary - steelers, polamalu alone elevates the steelers over chargers, ike taylor is most underrated corner in the league

coaching - LOL ;D

E

Gates over Heath Miller by a country mile, Earl. Sorry dude. I like Heath's game but Gates is way better than Miller. Better athletically  by way of speed and body control, too.

Plus, Ben throws Heath's way quite a bit. You said rarely. 24 catches in four games. That's six catches a game and he's targeted quite often as a stop gap safety valve underneath the coverage.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
ya i totally disagree and i hate the steelers but they have a more talent id say then the chargers not that the chargers have little talent b/c they have alot as well but steelers have more.

I think the miller/gates debate could go on for days

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »
Gates over Heath Miller by a country mile, Earl. Sorry dude. I like Heath's game but Gates is way better than Miller. Better athletically  by way of speed and body control, too.

Plus, Ben throws Heath's way quite a bit. You said rarely. 24 catches in four games. That's six catches a game and he's targeted quite often as a stop gap safety valve underneath the coverage.

they are throwing to the tight end more this season than the past, miller is catching everything

i wouldn't trade miller for any tight end in the game, what type of blocker is gates?

E
E

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »
how so ?

we're getting off track here. I was originally talking about the Chargers from an underachievement standpoint. every year they are predicted to go to the SB based on their talent. for the past few years they have gotten off to a slow start in a weak division. previous to that with the same talent but younger, they started strong and limped into the playoffs. they are underachievers in that respect.
 they have more talent on their team than most, and have had that talent for some time now which reasons why people continually pick them to go very far in the post season.

as to who had better talent right now, the steelers or chargers, in my opinion it would be the chargers just on names sake, hence on paper.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
they are throwing to the tight end more this season than the past, miller is catching everything

i wouldn't trade miller for any tight end in the game, what type of blocker is gates?

E

Definitely not as good a blocker but Gates is the better overall player, no doubt. Maybe by not a country mile like I said earlier. Miller is a stud, though.

I would take Gonzales in ATL and Gates over Miller, for sure.(we're talking right now this season in the present tense since I realize that Miller is a lot younger) But that's it. That says a lot for Miller, even though it's just my humble, arm chair QB opinion.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 04:15:01 PM »
Definitely not as good a blocker but Gates is the better overall player, no doubt. Maybe by not a country mile like I said earlier. Miller is a stud, though.

I would take Gonzales in ATL over Miller, for sure. But that's it. That says a lot for Miller, even though it's just my humble, arm chair QB opinion.

give me a tight end that is excellent at blocking and catching passes, that's miller

gonzalez is old, miller is a young hungry lion

E
E